My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Happ is a 35 HR/year player with decent defense. Runs well and is a smart player. Higher overall upside than Schwarber who is a one trick pony

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Happ is one guy they should be able to count on to develop into the leadoff hitter. Uses the field, switch hitter and can be the leadoff guy at whatever position he was playing that day. Instead, lets buy him time on the bench and get a prototypical leadoff guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think they are looking at his SO’s vs any other factor. LH splits are fine but Jed said “not on org”. Not sure that you can argue with that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Happ is a 35 HR/year player with decent defense. Runs well and is a smart player. Higher overall upside than Schwarber who is a one trick pony

You call Schwarber a one trick pony because he is a poor defender, but Happ is average defensively at best, wherever you play him. "Runs well" but has no true speed.

Happ certainly can be expected to grow as a hitter, as he has been in MLB less than a year. But Schwarber has approximately two years' worth of PA's in three seasons, and you have all but declared he won't ever improve (over his worst, BTW)

Happ's average wasn't much better than Schwarber's after his return, and Happ also struck out at an alarming rate.

If one is to make a judgement on Happ at this point (also premature, BTW), he would also be labeled a one trick pony.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Happ is average defensively while Schwarber is horrible and must be replaced every game. I'm surprised you are comparing the two

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Happ is average defensively while Schwarber is horrible and must be replaced every game. I'm surprised you are comparing the two

Schwarber is never going to be a stud defensively but statistically he's just below average and if he can improve on his second half offensive numbers and reach his potential he's going to be a great hitter. He's got about 800 PA under his belt, let's decide his fate at about 1,200.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Schwarber is never going to be a stud defensively but statistically he's just below average and if he can improve on his second half offensive numbers and reach his potential he's going to be a great hitter. He's got about 800 PA under his belt, let's decide his fate at about 1,200.
I dont see it. He has little plate discipline and tries to pull pitches 2" off the plate into a defensive shift. He is a very willful hitter. He is brutal against lefties. He has power to all fields but only hits opposite field by accident

He is below average defensively and I think will only get worse. He is clumsey and could lose 15 lbs. He will only get thicker and slower as he age and he is in his early 20s.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't see Schwarber ever being at the fence and leaping to save a HR. I don't want to see him in the OF.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see Schwarber ever being at the fence and leaping to save a HR. I don't want to see him in the OF.

Don't think that's really the concern. If you're worried about his defense think the more ordinary day to day range is a far bigger issue than him robbing HRs. I mean how often does any player rob a HR? Maybe once or twice a year if your good?

Statcast has good tools for this

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/play...ayer_type=batter&season=2017&tab=defense_tab#

Edit: well I tried to make those just images but it didn't work so here's the site.

The thing is that he basically makes every play on anything below what they considerer a 0-2 star catch but that's literally all he can get to. And I think that's an important distinction because when you often talk about bad defenders it's that they miss a lot of makable plays. Schwarber really doesn't. It's just that he can't make as many plays as a typical LF.

One thing I would suggest though that while he's never going to be above average in range, he might improve slightly there if he takes better routes to balls cutting down the distance he needs to travel. It's not going to make a huge difference or anything but it could mean the difference between below average and average.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

No I don't think he'll ever do that but if the bat is what it's supposed to be it won't matter. It's not like he's Adam Dunn out there or anything quite to that level. He has limited range and will make a blunder from time time, although that should improve.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

My point was that although you work Schwarber bashing into every conversation, you used the term "one trick pony" to describe Schwarber in the same post you propped up a one trick pony.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I hope that is not your basis for judging a player who plays 81 games in Wrigley.

Even in the other parks, those plays are rare. There are several parks with 8 foot walls where that happens more often, but the total number of games the Cubs play in those parks is minimal. Simply not a factor.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont see it. He has little plate discipline and tries to pull pitches 2" off the plate into a defensive shift. He is a very willful hitter. He is brutal against lefties. He has power to all fields but only hits opposite field by accident

He is below average defensively and I think will only get worse. He is clumsey and could lose 15 lbs. He will only get thicker and slower as he age and he is in his early 20s.

What difference is this from Bryant, Rizzo, Heyward? This is a kid that can be shown to adjust not do the same shit the super names get away with.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I hope that is not your basis for judging a player who plays 81 games in Wrigley.

Even in the other parks, those plays are rare. There are several parks with 8 foot walls where that happens more often, but the total number of games the Cubs play in those parks is minimal. Simply not a factor.
It's a mark for athleticism and what belongs in the OF and what doesn't. Bryce Harper can do that. He's an MVP. If we're going to talk about high ceilings and generational bats, let's get a clue as to what that looks like.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I never saw anyone steal a home run at Wrigley.
I've seen plenty of steals at other ball parks. I saw what should have been a steal at Dodger Stadium from the guy you want in LF. If only the season was 81 games.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
What difference is this from Bryant, Rizzo, Heyward? This is a kid that can be shown to adjust not do the same shit the super names get away with.
The difference is that Schwarber has marginal and limited talents. The other players have multiple skills. Schwarber is closer to Dave Kingman or Adam Dunn than he is to a well rounded player

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In regards to Schwarber: a team has to want him to trade him. That is why you wait until the iron is hot to deal. If he is a bust then all you lost is a first round pick.

And honestly the list is long for failed first round picks. At least he made it vs Vitters/Jackson etc. or traded away: Josh Donaldson (still bugs me)

Honestly if he is a bust in a line of Almora/Bryant/Schwarber/Happ then I think we are doing pretty good.

Even though I believe he will shut fans up next year. 30 HR’s in a piss poor season is kinda scarry if he hits .270 next year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It's a mark for athleticism and what belongs in the OF and what doesn't. Bryce Harper can do that. He's an MVP. If we're going to talk about high ceilings and generational bats, let's get a clue as to what that looks like.

Not sure how robbing a HR has anything to do with "generational bats", but I would love to see stats on how many HR's every OF "robbed" last season.

My guess is that Harper is not 3 ahead of Schwarber in that category. Not more than ONE, actually.

That's not to say I don't think Harper is a better player - I know how comments are totally misrepresented, so I figure I better put that out there.