Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well it is Kap.

Still the Salazar for Happ I’m still behind. I’m not sure if the weight of one vs the other but that is for others to decide.

Montgomery for Britton

Let’s see. 1 year for 4

Went from 74 SO in 69 IP to 29 SO in 37 IP

BALTIMORE -- Orioles closer Zach Britton's season has been riddled with injuries, and due to an MCL strain in his left knee, it could end early. ... "It's not anything that needs to be operated on, which is the good news," Britton said.Sep 21, 2017

The risk is on the buyer here. Nothing shows that he is going to be the same guy in his one year of control.

better for the Orioles to show his health and then trade him.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Well it is Kap.

Still the Salazar for Happ I’m still behind. I’m not sure if the weight of one vs the other but that is for others to decide.

Montgomery for Britton

Let’s see. 1 year for 4

Went from 74 SO in 69 IP to 29 SO in 37 IP

BALTIMORE -- Orioles closer Zach Britton's season has been riddled with injuries, and due to an MCL strain in his left knee, it could end early. ... "It's not anything that needs to be operated on, which is the good news," Britton said.Sep 21, 2017

The risk is on the buyer here. Nothing shows that he is going to be the same guy in his one year of control.

That's why I said it would be an overpay on the Cubs end. It's interesting but not my first choice. Brett thinks it would be an overpay on Baltimore's end and I strongly disagree.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No numbers on Holland yet. If it's 3 years instead of 4 expect Theo and company to make an offer for Davis, similar money.

Davis and Holland should have the same price tag.

Rox replaced Pat Neshek with Shaw. And now they are locking up the other two. I do like the LHSU/RHSU combo leading up to the 9th.

The Cubs have Morrow/Wilson right now in that capacity and Davis makes plenty of sense. Especially if they gain savings with Salazar

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
better for the Orioles to show his health and then trade him.

Totally depends on whether they think they're competing or not. If they're resigned to their fate and actually move Machado now, then yeah, you wait. If they think solidifying the rotation and counting on others to close is the way to go then you move him. It could go either way. It's important to not that Dan Duquette's contract is up after this year so you would think he'd go all out to win.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Closers are starting to dwindle..
Rockies eating them up

Reed and Davis are the only ones left i think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DanTown

Liked Posts:
He is worth more in July after a strong showing

This works both ways; he's also worth less if no one really feels they need a closer and considering how secure the top teams are in the backend of their bullpen (Bos, NY, Cleveland, Dodgers, Astros, all are not paying huge prices for Britton and I highly doubt the O's would ever help the Nationals out of principle), I don't see this being 2016 and instead more a 2017 where bad closers and elite setup men were moved.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cardinals just got Ozuna

Damn

Cubs better get a solid starter

DanTown

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs don't care about not having a leadoff guy, trading Happ makes sense. If they care about that at all, I'd be hard pressed to trade Happ since he's by far the most projectable leadoff guy against righties in the top part of the system (AA+).

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Still looking at Salazar. Big risk but if he's healthy he would have the best stuff on the roster.
Yea..

Just been disappointing so far..

Morrow Chatwood Smiley aren't exactly the impact guys i was looking for..

If they trade for Salazar youre hoping he bounches back..

Was hoping for someone more steady and solid like Archer Stroman etc..

These moves suggests that they really dont want to pull the trigger on any of their position players..

I dont know, just has a bandaid feel to it so far

Cobb stuff sounds like it was all BS
to probably get his price tag up..

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I would imagine Archer would cost the Cubs at the very least Schwarber, one of Baez/Russell, and Albertos at a minimum. Fans, media, etc can talk about Archer but if he really did hit the market, the bidding for him and that contract would be insane. I just don't see Archer being a Cub even if you get past the idea of whether the Rays even want to trade him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I want yelich

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Apparently Yelich is on the block, too. That's...interesting. 26 years old, leadoff-y CF, 9.0 fWAR over the past two seasons, five years of control. Probably too much to hope for, but given how the Marlins are just rolling over in negotiations, Almora or Happ + stuff?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yea..

Just been disappointing so far..

Morrow Chatwood Smiley aren't exactly the impact guys i was looking for..

If they trade for Salazar youre hoping he bounches back..

Was hoping for someone more steady and solid like Archer Stroman etc..

These moves suggests that they really dont want to pull the trigger on any of their position players..

I dont know, just has a bandaid feel to it so far

Cobb stuff sounds like it was all BS
to probably get his price tag up..

Best move was the pitching coach. Edwards and Wilson both fixed are major improvements over last year.

They lost: Davis. Not replacing it without going over priced.

Kuji well wasn’t there anyways

Duesing. Not a high leverage guy but did the job.

Replaced by: Morrow well a down grade to Davis.

Wilson. He was a hindrance. Fixed he is a major weapon.

Edwards: BB/9 were a train wreck and was not trust worthy in the play offs. Fixed again another weapon.

Smyly: the Cubs have nothing in AAA. Alzolay in AA. Hatch and De La Cruz are more iffy. Then A ball where you have 3 quality arms. Taking a flyer on Smyly was brilliant.

Now Chatwood: he is fixable. He had to lower his arm slot pitching in Coors to induce that high % of GB’s. Many are looking at him as: GB’s work in Wrigg. Well I don’t see that approach. He came in as a high spin rate fastball thrower that Coors Killed. Higher spin- more pitch movement. Then he has a 12/6 hammer that Coors killed. Which axed his 2 primary weapons. And his numbers were still good enough with out them.

Honestly I believe we got a steal with him. You have Jim who can fix mechanics and Hickey’s philosophy on pitching. That means moving his arm slot back up and getting his movement back. Then using his knock out pitches to get ahead.

We could end up with another Arrieta

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Totally depends on whether they think they're competing or not. If they're resigned to their fate and actually move Machado now, then yeah, you wait. If they think solidifying the rotation and counting on others to close is the way to go then you move him. It could go either way. It's important to not that Dan Duquette's contract is up after this year so you would think he'd go all out to win.
I disagree. Even if they think they have internal options they are going to want to maximize value. Let's say that Montgomery is something that Baltimore wants. That type of deal will be there all season long, so no reason to trade him now which is why I said the Cubs don't have enough.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Apparently Yelich is on the block, too. That's...interesting. 26 years old, leadoff-y CF, 9.0 fWAR over the past two seasons, five years of control. Probably too much to hope for, but given how the Marlins are just rolling over in negotiations, Almora or Happ + stuff?

Not enough. Need at least two start pieces.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t bother with Yelich. If you are hard up for a lead off invest into Cain