Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I actually love the idea of Tseng as a closer. He has that floating stuff that is opposite of most of our pitchers that will throw a team off. If his head can control his emotions, he can be a good one. Of course he would probably need to go 7th first, then 8th before pitching in the 9th, but he has that wild stuff, almost like Eckersley.

I would much prefer going by committee on all these questions like CF and setup and closer and then getting what you need at the deadline, over getting it now at an exploited price when you might not need it. This hard stuff hard stuff and harder stuff can be seen as tuning up the hitters for the late innings. The key of course is getting thru the 7,8 and 8th inning with just over once thru the lineup. I am sure there will be pitchers available for rentals with big contracts teams out of the race will love to get rid of, maybe Colorado will eventually need to pay some of Davis; salary like the Yankees will eventually need to pay some of Chappys.

I really think its important to keep Jake here over some new project.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Morrow had a 10.31 K/9 in 2017. This team needs a starter far more than an established closer and they couldn’t pay Davis $18 mil AAV and still have money for Darvish, or even taking in another pitcher’s salary in trade. Not staying under the tax threshold and still having some room to maneuver at the deadline. Plus Davis BB/9 scared the hell out of me. Relax with expected improvement from Edwards and Wilson this is a much better bullpen right damned now.

All he's looking for is a "name". He can sleep better at night knowing a MLB "name" closer has signed on. Funny thing though. These guys weren't born with MLB Closer printed on their ass...they earned that right when they got the chance to be a closer and then ran with it.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm intrigued by morrow at the closer role. Still would like to see another starter. I would think the Cubs have something brewing somewhere just waiting on the right deal

CSF77

Liked Posts:
At one point Davis was Holland’s set up. Then he put a ring on his finger when he took the job.

Nothing says Morrow is not closer material.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm intrigued by morrow at the closer role. Still would like to see another starter. I would think the Cubs have something brewing somewhere just waiting on the right deal

I’m pretty sure they are waiting on Yu’s decision. When that happens then we will see action.

Yu signing pretty much ends the offseason. If he goes elsewhere then I see them looking to trade

chibears55

Liked Posts:
At one point Davis was Holland’s set up. Then he put a ring on his finger when he took the job.

Nothing says Morrow is not closer material.
Nothing says he is either...

Have to think if they signed him to be "the closer" , they would of said that already...

They have someone else in mind for that spot..

Not sure why some of you would settle on him as closer and pen as is now, being good enough over hoping and wanting them to add to it to make them better..

Add a closer to
Morrow Edwards Strop Cishek
Montgomery Wilson Alvarez

And the pen becomes even better along with the depth in AAA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nothing says he is either...

Have to think if they signed him to be "the closer" , they would of said that already...

They have someone else in mind for that spot..

Not sure why some of you would settle on him as closer and pen as is now, being good enough over hoping and wanting them to add to it to make them better..

Add a closer to
Morrow Edwards Strop Cishek
Montgomery Wilson Alvarez

And the pen becomes even better along with the depth in AAA

They didn’t commit to him when they signed. That is all. At that point They wanted Wade back also. It happens that Col is over paying this year and guys are getting rich off them.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They didn’t commit to him when they signed. That is all. At that point They wanted Wade back also. It happens that Col is over paying this year and guys are getting rich off them.
And they still havent commited to him..

Davis was never coming back unless he was willing to take a low offer, which he wasnt..
Which was why cubs never made a known offer outside the QO to him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Davis was never coming back unless he was willing to take a low offer, which he wasnt..
Which was why cubs never made a known offer outside the QO to him.

That's some pretty heavy speculation. I'd argue the fact that Davis got the highest AAV for a reliever ever would suggest the cubs did make a real offer as I don't remember too many other teams in on Davis to drive up that price for COL. Now perhaps you're suggesting they should have made an over the top offer on a closer. If that's the case I don't think that was ever going to happen. This front office doesn't like paying top priced relievers.

With all that being said, I really doubt the cubs are "done" in the bullpen. I'd imagine they are going to add at least one other guy but it may take awhile between the remaining guys in FA to reduce their price a bit or for a trade to materialize. Colome for example is still in Tampa on a team that is increasingly looking like a team that is in sell mode and have little need for him. Granted Colome is more in that second tier of closers and not your Jansen/Chapman level but if you add one guy of his quality to what the cubs have it is a fairly deep bullpen they have. If Maples breaks out like he theoretically could or if Edwards takes that next step things could look good. My biggest issue is that they are still a bit thin if they don't add another reliable guy and things don't work out well.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That's some pretty heavy speculation. I'd argue the fact that Davis got the highest AAV for a reliever ever would suggest the cubs did make a real offer as I don't remember too many other teams in on Davis to drive up that price for COL. Now perhaps you're suggesting they should have made an over the top offer on a closer. If that's the case I don't think that was ever going to happen. This front office doesn't like paying top priced relievers.

With all that being said, I really doubt the cubs are "done" in the bullpen. I'd imagine they are going to add at least one other guy but it may take awhile between the remaining guys in FA to reduce their price a bit or for a trade to materialize. Colome for example is still in Tampa on a team that is increasingly looking like a team that is in sell mode and have little need for him. Granted Colome is more in that second tier of closers and not your Jansen/Chapman level but if you add one guy of his quality to what the cubs have it is a fairly deep bullpen they have. If Maples breaks out like he theoretically could or if Edwards takes that next step things could look good. My biggest issue is that they are still a bit thin if they don't add another reliable guy and things don't work out well.

You can say it heavy speculation to think they(Cubs) did make offers outside the QO..

it possible the cubs made an initial offer and it was probably somewhat low..
Ill guess in neighborhood of 2 yrs 30 mil tops..
Outside of that, im 99.9% positive there wasnt any negotiations going on between them because we all knew Davis was looking for a bigger pay day, and Epstein wasnt gonna budge.

And no, i wasnt expecting Epstein to overpay him..
I was hoping theyd come to a reasonable agreement.

My stance on them getting a closer has more to do with wanting them to make their bullpen stronger..
I feel their improved now with new additions, i just want them to be even better...

Id rather see them get that guy now when they can then wait and risk needing to trade off more prospects at deadline to desperately add someone

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Again I believe that they are going to focus on Yu right now. He is looking at 25 mil AAV and you have to expect a bonus attached.

I do not see them going over 185 myself honestly. That pushes them into the lux if they have to add inseason.

They are at 155 ATM. Adding Yu (15 mil plus a 15 mil bonus upfront) hits 185 mil and closes the door. Leaves the pen as is.

Cishek has closing experience but is more of a RH side winder right now and would be tough in high pressure situations. Alvarez is the LH counter part. Both guys would excel in high pressure situations.

Edwards I believe will be with Morrow and Wilson late inning. That most likely gets sorted in season in who excels in what situation.

Grimm and Strop are more depth guys that you use in lower pressure situations. Montgomery’s role is up in the air. Maples really needs to dominate AAA and get his walks under control. We know that he can strike out a side but he can also walk the bases loaded on the same inning.

I honestly feel adding a arm in the pen is back burner right now. They signed Smyly as insurance if they fail to sign Yu. (For long term plans) I don’t see them over paying on Cobb when he is not a upgrade to Hendricks.

So who knows they may just decide to ink Lackey for a year and let Smyly recover naturally. If he is ready in season use him in the pen for depth and then get him ready to start in 19.

I believe that they have a general plan laid out depending on what Yu decides.

Now if they fall to plan B and go with Lackey or Montgomery then they may spend on Reed at Best. Holland wanted more than Davis so I don’t see that being a realistic plan.

Ideally you run with Grimm as the 8th man. If Maples dominates AAA then you make the call and start to groom him for the closer roll. He has the same stuff that eliete closers have as long as he doesn’t beat himself.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can say it heavy speculation to think they(Cubs) did make offers outside the QO..

it possible the cubs made an initial offer and it was probably somewhat low..
Ill guess in neighborhood of 2 yrs 30 mil tops..
Outside of that, im 99.9% positive there wasnt any negotiations going on between them because we all knew Davis was looking for a bigger pay day, and Epstein wasnt gonna budge.

And no, i wasnt expecting Epstein to overpay him..
I was hoping theyd come to a reasonable agreement.

My stance on them getting a closer has more to do with wanting them to make their bullpen stronger..
I feel their improved now with new additions, i just want them to be even better...

Id rather see them get that guy now when they can then wait and risk needing to trade off more prospects at deadline to desperately add someone

Theo has stayed true to what he has been saying. He doesn’t invest top dollar into BP arms.

He also has said that the ideal time to invest into a TOR is every 3 years. Lester inked 3 years ago.

I’m not sure why we don’t take him at face value for what he has said

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Again I believe that they are going to focus on Yu right now. He is looking at 25 mil AAV and you have to expect a bonus attached.

I do not see them going over 185 myself honestly. That pushes them into the lux if they have to add inseason.

They are at 155 ATM. Adding Yu (15 mil plus a 15 mil bonus upfront) hits 185 mil and closes the door. Leaves the pen as is.

Cishek has closing experience but is more of a RH side winder right now and would be tough in high pressure situations. Alvarez is the LH counter part. Both guys would excel in high pressure situations.

Edwards I believe will be with Morrow and Wilson late inning. That most likely gets sorted in season in who excels in what situation.

Grimm and Strop are more depth guys that you use in lower pressure situations. Montgomery’s role is up in the air. Maples really needs to dominate AAA and get his walks under control. We know that he can strike out a side but he can also walk the bases loaded on the same inning.

I honestly feel adding a arm in the pen is back burner right now. They signed Smyly as insurance if they fail to sign Yu. (For long term plans) I don’t see them over paying on Cobb when he is not a upgrade to Hendricks.

So who knows they may just decide to ink Lackey for a year and let Smyly recover naturally. If he is ready in season use him in the pen for depth and then get him ready to start in 19.

I believe that they have a general plan laid out depending on what Yu decides.

Now if they fall to plan B and go with Lackey or Montgomery then they may spend on Reed at Best. Holland wanted more than Davis so I don’t see that being a realistic plan.

Ideally you run with Grimm as the 8th man. If Maples dominates AAA then you make the call and start to groom him for the closer roll. He has the same stuff that eliete closers have as long as he doesn’t beat himself.

Your ideas are depressing sometimes [emoji21]

Lackey????

Grimm as set up
Maples closer

[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Theo has stayed true to what he has been saying. He doesn’t invest top dollar into BP arms.

He also has said that the ideal time to invest into a TOR is every 3 years. Lester inked 3 years ago.

I’m not sure why we don’t take him at face value for what he has said
Nobody saying he needs to spend top dollars in another BP arm..

Just getting a little tiresome of waiting to see who or if he gonna add another TOR type starter..

Cobb Darvish Arrieta Archer

Were hearing the names but nothing about offers...
Pick a guy, make an offer and move on all ready..

Plus.. what the plan with CF, are they gonna go with Almora or add someone..
Havent heard anything in regards of adding position players except for the overkill rumors of Machado..

So, are they basically staying as is and in house with their starters and bench?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
What's the rush to sign someone this minute? Just because anxious fans are annoyed doesnt mean Theo should give away his leverage.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What's the rush to sign someone this minute? Just because anxious fans are annoyed doesnt mean Theo should give away his leverage.
Leverage on what?

It not like he has a bunch of choices and can go from plan A to D and get the same type of starter..

Darvish Cobb Arrieta are the FA of choice...

Who really knows who if anyone that TOR type is available via trade now..

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Leverage on what?

It not like he has a bunch of choices and can go from plan A to D and get the same type of starter..

Darvish Cobb Arrieta are the FA of choice...

Who really knows who if anyone that TOR type is available via trade now..

Of course Theo has leverage just like any other team or player. It's a product of his offers

The point is that only the teams/players know the status of the transactions and signings. Your're just frustrated it isn't happening within your timeline, which Theo doesnt care

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Of course Theo has leverage just like any other team or player. It's a product of his offers

The point is that only the teams/players know the status of the transactions and signings. Your're just frustrated it isn't happening within your timeline, which Theo doesnt care

He hasnt made any offers, that the point...
And if he waiting for them to accept what he wants, he risks getting noone..

I dont have a time line, i just hope he doesn't wait to long and end up with nothing to replace Arrieta at the TOR

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
He hasnt made any offers, that the point...
You don't know that. Stop assuming journalist reports are the final word. Good negotiators don't share their every move with the public

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You don't know that. Stop assuming journalist reports are the final word. Good negotiators don't share their every move with the public
You do know it 2017 and with all the "sources" there are nowadays ..
Nothing stays quiet and secret

If Cubs or any teams made offers, you bet the farm that it going to get leaked so other teams will know to get them to up their offers...

And if we are to assume they did make a secret offer, that it not close to what pitcher A B or C looking for and or the cubs aren't their team of choice...