Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Red Sox placed Henry Owens on outright waivers. He was the 36th pick in the 2011 draft so that would be I believe Theo's last draft with the Red Sox. Was a big time prospect at one point too. BA Pre-2013 #91, Pre-2014 #40, Pre-2015 #44. BP Pre-2014 #69, Pre-2015 #46. MLB.com Pre-2013 #94, Pre-2014 #30, Pre-2015 #19. I could see the cubs taking a chance on him as AAA depth. Might be better off as a LH reliever. He's not really been able to keep his walk rate under control(9.5 k/9 4.9 bb/9 in the minors).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Red Sox placed Henry Owens on outright waivers. He was the 36th pick in the 2011 draft so that would be I believe Theo's last draft with the Red Sox. Was a big time prospect at one point too. BA Pre-2013 #91, Pre-2014 #40, Pre-2015 #44. BP Pre-2014 #69, Pre-2015 #46. MLB.com Pre-2013 #94, Pre-2014 #30, Pre-2015 #19. I could see the cubs taking a chance on him as AAA depth. Might be better off as a LH reliever. He's not really been able to keep his walk rate under control(9.5 k/9 4.9 bb/9 in the minors).

Very tempting and I doubt he gets past Theo

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Depends on his training method. Looks like he is going heavy cardio with fast twitch drills. That adds to movement and reaction speed. It really is not power lifting as he looked like before. Most likely from his football days.

Just on raw power he should loose power but his hand eye/reaction speed should improve.

Honest prediction is SO % major drop to 20%
BB should stick around 12%. That bit shouldn’t change.

Big change should be OBA increase and SLG decrease. More gap power and able to hit to LF easier with out the extra mass to push.

But in raw power I just don’t see these 450 bombs happening which is perfectly fine if he becomes a prototypical lead off

Are you insane!?!?!?!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Are you insane!?!?!?!

No. His SO/BB have been pretty much 20/12 up until he hit the majors. They imploded but this is common with players entering the league. SO’s will normalize naturally anyways. BB honestly doesn’t change. Players tend to be agressive or passive in their approach and BB% is the indicator.

Now if you are talking about him leading off?

Well he wanted to be that guy and honestly he just transformed his body in less than 2 months. I’m pretty sure right now if he sets his mind to something he will do it after seeing those results in that span of time.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No. His SO/BB have been pretty much 20/12 up until he hit the majors. They imploded but this is common with players entering the league. SO’s will normalize naturally anyways. BB honestly doesn’t change. Players tend to be agressive or passive in their approach and BB% is the indicator.

Now if you are talking about him leading off?

Well he wanted to be that guy and honestly he just transformed his body in less than 2 months. I’m pretty sure right now if he sets his mind to something he will do it after seeing those results in that span of time.

Joe was insane trying it before. He whiffs way too much and even in his new shape will never be a good base runner. He'll never be a leadoff man no matter where "Crazy Joe" bats him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Joe was insane trying it before. He whiffs way too much and even in his new shape will never be a good base runner. He'll never be a leadoff man no matter where "Crazy Joe" bats him.

He was a good base runner already.

Early reports pre injury

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseball.../12/kyle-schwarber-baserunner-extraordinaire/

He is not dumb on the bases.

It most likely will come down to if he is able to improve his first step reactions and his max acceleration. He has already shown he has a high BB IQ

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He was a good base runner already.

Early reports pre injury

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseball.../12/kyle-schwarber-baserunner-extraordinaire/

He is not dumb on the bases.

It most likely will come down to if he is able to improve his first step reactions and his max acceleration. He has already shown he has a high BB IQ

Not doubting his intelligence, but you need more to be good and the article mentions it could be very fluky which my eye test agrees with. Given his range in the OF, sorry, he's not good on the basepaths.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not doubting his intelligence, but you need more to be good and the article mentions it could be very fluky which my eye test agrees with. Given his range in the OF, sorry, he's not good on the basepaths.

So you are saying a person is stuck in a box and any type of physical training will not affect the bottom line?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

That makes no sense.

Albert Pujols was good on the basepaths. And he's no speedster.

Speed is nice, but that is not the only quality of a good baserunner.

Does that mean Schwarber is an ideal leadoff ma? No. I am not saying he is.

But range in the OF does not preclude someone from being "good on the basepaths".

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That makes no sense.

Albert Pujols was good on the basepaths. And he's no speedster.

Speed is nice, but that is not the only quality of a good baserunner.

Does that mean Schwarber is an ideal leadoff ma? No. I am not saying he is.

But range in the OF does not preclude someone from being "good on the basepaths".

It's evidence there of. Making smart moves does not make one good on the base paths. And besides, it was said to be a leadoff guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's evidence there of. Making smart moves does not make one good on the base paths. And besides, it was said to be a leadoff guy.

SB are so 80’s

DanTown

Liked Posts:

Joey Gallo was the 14th most valuable base runner last year and he's an awful defender. Paul Goldschmidt was the 28th best baserunner and he was a 1B.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Joey Gallo was the 14th most valuable base runner last year and he's an awful defender. Paul Goldschmidt was the 28th best baserunner and he was a 1B.

Yes because speed is so needed to play corner infield positions

DanTown

Liked Posts:
who said otherwise?

but for the record, give me the Rock over the Babe any day of the week

So you're saying there are times you wouldn't take the best hitter in the history of the sport because you care about speed? There has and will never be an offense in baseball that will score more runs with Tim Raines than Babe Ruth.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So you're saying there are times you wouldn't take the best hitter in the history of the sport because you care about speed? There has and will never be an offense in baseball that will score more runs with Tim Raines than Babe Ruth.

Are you ignoring Kyle's nickname?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Gallo is primarily a OF but good call on "Bad fielders can't be good baserunners".

Yes 125 games at the corners last year makes him primarily an OF. Nice call!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
A) don't think Schwarber is really going to lead off. Seems like he's been best in the 2 hole with Bryant and Rizzo after him.

B) don't think speed is particularly important out of a lead off guy. The cubs barely ran at all last year and teams in general don't run much. On base is much more important to them which given Schwarber's struggles there last year may be a concern of itself batting him lead off.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A) don't think Schwarber is really going to lead off. Seems like he's been best in the 2 hole with Bryant and Rizzo after him.

B) don't think speed is particularly important out of a lead off guy. The cubs barely ran at all last year and teams in general don't run much. On base is much more important to them which given Schwarber's struggles there last year may be a concern of itself batting him lead off.

Speed is a whole lot more than stealing. For a leadoff guy that means1st to 3rd, scoring from 2nd, scoring on ground balls and sac flies, etc.

BTW, for the record, I am not pushing for Schwarber to lead off. I just say poor D in LF does not mean poor baserunning.