Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good pick up..
I knew they couldnt be done with pen

Would still like to add Davis back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I believe that they are tailoring the pen to Hickey.

LOOGY then Jerry Crasnick who side winds from the right. So a 1 out guy type.

Still think it is LHSU Wilson. RHSU Edwards closer: Morrow.

Other two are high leverage guys.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Check out the strong endorsement on Chisak on Bleachernation

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Check out the strong endorsement on Chisak on Bleachernation

Numbers (and ranking) from 2011-2017:

Soft-hit rate: 19.3% (13th in MLB)
Hard-hit rate: 27.4% (12th in MLB)
Ground ball rate: 49.9% (9th in MLB)
Fly ball rate: 31.0% (10th in MLB)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also, this is something we’ve danced around a bit, but Epstein puts it quite plainly: “As we looked at what we hoped would be a seven-year window for us, we knew there’d be a bit of a transition after 2017 to 2018.” In other words, given some exiting players, next year’s free agent group, expected arbitration raises of the future, and about a million other reasons, 2018 is a bit of an in-between year for the Cubs. So it makes some sense that a team like the Cardinals might look to capitalize on that and sneak into the playoffs during what might otherwise going to be a Cubs-dominated era.

But Epstein warned that moving to aggressively for a closer right now just because names are flying off the board might “preclude us from getting the starter we want later on …. ”

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/...indow-adding-a-starter-closers-ceilings-more/

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/14/is-alex-cobb-seeking-20-million-per-year/

But there are only 13 pitchers in all of baseball making a $20 million AAV. Now, we know that the market is uneven because of team control, extensions, and arbitration, so the top 13 salaries don’t go to the top 13 pitchers, but … come on. The guys above $20 million who received those deals in free agency are Johnny Cueto, Jordan Zimmermann, Jon Lester, Max Scherzer, David Price, and Zack Greinke.

Bruce Levine
@MLBBruceLevine
The Alex Cobb camp deny the rumored 4 year $80 million that was being passed around on twitter .
1:58 PM - Dec 12, 2017

Pretty sure he is a 15 mil AAV 4/60 is realistic

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs Finalize AAA Reserve List for Rule 5 Draft
Submitted by Arizona Phil on Wed, 12/13/2017 - 7:00pm
12/14 UPDATE:

SELECTED BY CUBS IN MAJOR LEAGUE PHASE:
NONE

CUBS MINOR LEAGUERS SELECTED IN MAJOR LEAGUE PHASE:
Pedro Araujo (link is external), RHP (selected by Baltimore Orioles from Cubs AAA Iowa reserve list)

CUBS MINOR LEAGUERS SELECTED IN AAA PHASE:
Andrew Ely (link is external), INF (selected by New York Mets for AAA Las Vegas affiliate from Cubs AA Tennessee reserve list)
Chris Nunn (link is external), LHP (selected by Houston Astros for AAA Fresno affiliate from Cubs AA Tennessee reserve list)
Alberto Mineo (link is external), C (selected by Toronto Blue Jays for AAA Buffalo affiliate from Cubs AA Tennessee reserve list)

PLAYERS SELECTED BY CUBS IN AAA PHASE:
NONE

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chatwood could do some really good things for us. His splits are big time from Home and Away.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
NPB on reddit
@NPB_Reddit
Apparently Orix Buffaloes closer Yoshihisa Hirano received a 2 year contract offer from an unnamed MLB team. The article states his agent was negotiating with the Chicago Cubs on the 12th https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171215-00000007-dal-spo … #mlb

His NPB stats are kinda meh. If this were 3 years ago I think he's a more interesting guy. From 2010-15 he had 460 k's and 91 walks in 398 innings for a 10.4 k/9 and 2.05 bb/9 with a 2.39 ERA. His numbers haven't been terrible the past 2 years(8.4 and 7.4 k/9 with 2.4 and 2.5 bb/9 and 1.92 and 2.98 ERA) but they are more that of a middle reliever when you factor in playing vs Japanesse competition. I don't know enough about him to say why his k/9 dropped so much but he's going to be 34 to start next year. It's a good bet he just got old.

I suppose if the cubs have offered him a deal it depends on how much. If it's only a couple mil he might be an interesting guy to see if you can revive a bit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His NPB stats are kinda meh. If this were 3 years ago I think he's a more interesting guy. From 2010-15 he had 460 k's and 91 walks in 398 innings for a 10.4 k/9 and 2.05 bb/9 with a 2.39 ERA. His numbers haven't been terrible the past 2 years(8.4 and 7.4 k/9 with 2.4 and 2.5 bb/9 and 1.92 and 2.98 ERA) but they are more that of a middle reliever when you factor in playing vs Japanesse competition. I don't know enough about him to say why his k/9 dropped so much but he's going to be 34 to start next year. It's a good bet he just got old.

I suppose if the cubs have offered him a deal it depends on how much. If it's only a couple mil he might be an interesting guy to see if you can revive a bit.

Tigers and Cards had ties

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Schwarber looks really solid.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

Amazing what an off-season working on the body instead of rehabbing means for a guy in his mid 20s.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Ya he is on the lead off kick again:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Could Kyle Schwarber lead off again for the Cubs? It's not out of the question.

A svelte Schwarber drove from his home in Tampa to chat with Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer for about half an hour on Tuesday. Schwarber didn't request the meeting to dismiss rumors which have linked him to some American League teams.

"He knows how we feel about him," Hoyer said. "I think he's proud of himself, and he should be. I think he wanted to come here and talk to us. It was great."

And possibly show off how much weight he's lost? When asked, Schwarber said he didn't know. He's not done.

"'Best shape of his life' becomes a cliche or joke, but he actually is," Hoyer said of Schwarber. "He looks awesome. Kyle is a guy who, when you talk to him, he motivates you. It's hard to not want to play right now after listening to him. I think he didn't feel great about his season, he probably didn't feel great with how he felt all year. It's so obvious when you look at him what great shape he's in. I love that he drove over here in some ways to show it off. I don't blame him -- I probably would, too."

The Cubs rotated 11 different players in the leadoff spot last season, including Schwarber, who struggled there, batting .190 in 37 games. He was sent to the Minor Leagues, but finished the season with a .211 average, 30 homers and 59 RBIs for the Cubs.

"There's zero way to prove why he struggled last year," Hoyer said. "It could've been hitting leadoff, it could've been something that happened if he hit fifth. I think it will come down to talking to him, Joe [Maddon] and Kyle having an honest conversation, like, 'Would this bother you? Be honest, don't tell me what I want to hear.' [Schwarber] would know better how much it affected him. He might say, 'It didn't affect me at all, I just didn't hit well.'"

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Kyle was interviewed on the Dave Kaplan show yesterday and he said he'd hit anywhere. So if he really feels bad, he's got to break free from being a "yes man" type.

They asked what his goals are and he mentioned repeatedly only one goal. He wants to be a Golden Glove Left Fielder. He said he's working on his first steps as well.

I know funny, how could he be? It doesn't matter. He's trying his best and that is what matters.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kyle was interviewed on the Dave Kaplan show yesterday and he said he'd hit anywhere. So if he really feels bad, he's got to break free from being a "yes man" type.

They asked what his goals are and he mentioned repeatedly only one goal. He wants to be a Golden Glove Left Fielder. He said he's working on his first steps as well.

I know funny, how could he be? It doesn't matter. He's trying his best and that is what matters.

Way I look at it is he has the ability to focus on a objective and succeed. Just looking at his body transformation shows that he is serious business.

Betting against him is not wise

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
New Schwarber workout video

[video]http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21776926 [/video]

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
[video]http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21776181[/video]

chibears55

Liked Posts:
From Nikkan sports in Japan

1eb3df6f8aa04d3f0d49a8c2ad3134f7.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
From Nikkan sports in Japan

1eb3df6f8aa04d3f0d49a8c2ad3134f7.jpg

Maybe that is what Theo was hinting at by overspending on the pen may preclude signing a starter. I can’t see Cobb being a hindrance

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Darvish is the starter I've been hoping the cubs sign. Obviously cost is a factor but given the way the market has moved so slowly I can't imagine he gets tip top price. The dodgers don't seem to be spending on anything. SF just traded away a pitcher to clear salary because they are at the luxury tax. The yanks appear more keen on a trade. Texas acquired Moore and minor already. There's not a whole lot of obvious spots for Darvish/Arrieta right now.