Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I’m figuring any on the AFL will be protected. They are there for a reason. Rest are suspect
None of the cubs players looked good today..

Burks went 0-3

Mills started game 2.2 ip 4 hits walk 4 runs 3 Ks

Stinnet relieved him 1 ip 2 hits 3 walks 2 runs 2 Ks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So monday is when 40 man rosters need to be set for rule 5. Expect to see some low key moves over the next few days from teams.
Hoping some FA signings and or trades start heating up soon afterwards..

I know bigger names etc. dont really start til winter meetings

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think yes and no. Generally the AFL is a proving grounds of sorts. For example, I could see a case to be made for the cubs trading Bote for a similar 40 man type piece. 2B is the last thing the current MLB team needs and he's basically ready. It would make sense for the cubs to deal him for a LH reliever who can make the club. For example, someone to essentially replace Duensing would make sense. Currently the only LHP on the 40 man are Lester, Q, Monty, Wilson, Rob Zastryzny and Randy Rosario. Maybe Zastryzny takes Duensing's spot but would be nice to have a little more in AAA in case of ineffectiveness/injury.

Honestly a lot of these guys are not going to be picked up by other teams in rule V. I just don’t see this upside talent right now that you force a roster spot investment into. Alzolay and De La Cruz are the only 2 that they would lose if they leave them off the 40 man. Any one else honestly only if you can see them having trade weight or a future roster spot. Burks could become a 2nd Cain if he fully develops so I can buy that argument. He has speed and solid D. Good bat so could become a potential lead off candidate. Bote. Honestly no one cared about him until his out burst in the AFL. I just see him as a unranked roster filler that excelled in a hitters environment.

So I honestly wouldn’t push the panic button and blow up the 40 man with A-AA ball players. Those spots are better served for AAA injury depth

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hoping some FA signings and or trades start heating up soon afterwards..

I know bigger names etc. dont really start til winter meetings

I agree with this.

Honestly it feels like a forgone conclusion with Cobb.

I bet they are waiting on Davis’ market to evolve and seeing his price tag. That is holding up a closer signing.

Top SP honestly I’m not seeing a huge movement on Darvish and Jake yet. They might be waiting on Othani’s situation to play out. He is a wild card right now that is choked the TOR market. A vack end arm I don’t see a lock up.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly a lot of these guys are not going to be picked up by other teams in rule V. I just don’t see this upside talent right now that you force a roster spot investment into. Alzolay and De La Cruz are the only 2 that they would lose if they leave them off the 40 man. Any one else honestly only if you can see them having trade weight or a future roster spot. Burks could become a 2nd Cain if he fully develops so I can buy that argument. He has speed and solid D. Good bat so could become a potential lead off candidate. Bote. Honestly no one cared about him until his out burst in the AFL. I just see him as a unranked roster filler that excelled in a hitters environment.

So I honestly wouldn’t push the panic button and blow up the 40 man with A-AA ball players. Those spots are better served for AAA injury depth

Don't be so sure about that. If a guy has great stuff or you think he's a decent bench bat teams aren't scared to take the chance. There's a lot of teams that are going to be hunting for bench bats in FA. If one thinks he can be as good as whatever they plan to sign they would take him in the rule 5. And if enough teams like his bat other teams will figure they will have to move something. Regardless, other teams have 40 man cram issues too. If they don't need a reliever but do need 2B depth they will be willing to deal from redundancy.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I agree with this.

Honestly it feels like a forgone conclusion with Cobb.

I bet they are waiting on Davis’ market to evolve and seeing his price tag. That is holding up a closer signing.

Top SP honestly I’m not seeing a huge movement on Darvish and Jake yet. They might be waiting on Othani’s situation to play out. He is a wild card right now that is choked the TOR market. A vack end arm I don’t see a lock up.

There's at least 3 teams interested in cobb. I doubt he signs quickly given one is the Yankees. Other is Baltimore and obviously that's just named teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There's at least 3 teams interested in cobb. I doubt he signs quickly given one is the Yankees. Other is Baltimore and obviously that's just named teams.

Balt is losing 4 starters. They are going to be attached to any mid tier or lower pitching. I can’t see them on the pricy arms due to losing their whole staff.

Yanks need a back of the rotation arm. But I see them as a favorite landing spot for Ohtani and I’m questioning them locking up a opening. Add to it their history has been sign high profile guys and back fill with the farm. That has been their history and Cobb honestly goes against it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't be so sure about that. If a guy has great stuff or you think he's a decent bench bat teams aren't scared to take the chance. There's a lot of teams that are going to be hunting for bench bats in FA. If one thinks he can be as good as whatever they plan to sign they would take him in the rule 5. And if enough teams like his bat other teams will figure they will have to move something. Regardless, other teams have 40 man cram issues too. If they don't need a reliever but do need 2B depth they will be willing to deal from redundancy.

It still is a 25 man slot. I get it from bottom feeders that lack talent. Cubs and other contenders have to build for a play off run and need to have depth on the 40 when needed. A wasted spot to protect a unusable player impacts the season in not having the assets available when needed.

We are talking about 15 player slots. You pretty much need a AAA OF/UI/ SP and a few BP arms stashed away for DL run ins. At least 7-10 of them ties up here. So at most 5 rule V protections which is fair when you think of it. If they have been around that long and are still not MLR then you have to debate if holding a spot justifies it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Guys I’m seeing protected:

Burks: will be at Iowa and a phone call away. He could end up as a potential lead off. I’m thinking he gets a mid season call up.

Tseng: should be starting at Iowa. Might end up in the pen if they feel he is better used there.

Mills: AAA SP depth

Butler: AAA SP depth

Rob Z: AAA BP depth

Sennett: AAA BP depth

Bote: AAA UI depth

Young: AAA UI depth

Zag: AAA OF depth

Hannemann is debatable. They lost him once and if they don’t plan on using him it is a wasted spot.

After that you get into protection:

Alzolay and De La Cruz are locks. They seem to really like Erling Moreno and Pedro Araujo. Both a big RH arms and project well.

So it really starts to matter on who they choose at this point.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bote isn't really a utility infielder. He can play 2B and 1B and thats it and his 2B is probably average to below average.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im interested in seeing if they take a shot at someone for the bullpen..

I got a feeling besides a couple guys, that were going to see a whole new pen this year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bote isn't really a utility infielder. He can play 2B and 1B and thats it and his 2B is probably average to below average.

That is why I didn't add Vosler. More of a corner IF. I would much rather have a pure SS on the 40 that can move to 2B when needed but that guy is not here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rays are kinda shafted with their park issue. They play off in St Pete and their season tix holders are in Tampa. That is why they have a hard time getting 20K per in. If they moved to Tampa they wouldn't be small market but the city won't flip the bill for it.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well Tampa would like to deal Ozz and Miller and call it a day. Miller is a bad investment and Ozz holds small control and won't move the needle in a return. Those guys are wishful thinking.

Honestly it could depend on if they try to leverage Tampa to build a stadium on the main city of Tampa where they can draw fans that are justified for their caliber of a franchise. It was all about location with them. Las Vegas IMO is a hot bed "more ways than one" for a MLB team. It would have to be a retractable dome as that area can get to 115.

Edit: I would hold out on Archer in any deal and hang up if not included. Not even worth talking to them.

I would be fine with Resigning Jay and platooning him and Almora in the lead off with Burks in AAA getting ready to take over.

Then Aiming high with Yu. Back end arm resign Lackey and get Tseng ready for the 2nd half.

Closer: Davis is most likely. Reed makes the most sense.

2nd BP arm: Haven't heard of a reunion with Duesing. They might just go with Wilson and Montgomery. 3rd is excessive. As a set up honestly most likely will be by performance. You have Wilson and Edwards. Maples on the wings. Strop. So they have depth and talent to work with.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Braves “expect to lose” prized prospect Kevin Maitan as part of MLB’s investigation into the team’s alleged violations of international and domestic amateur signing rules, Gammons hear from a source within the Atlanta organization. Interestingly, the feeling within the new Braves front office (now led by new GM Alex Anthopoulos) is that “Maitan was [not] worth the money or the hype,” so losing him wouldn’t be a major setback for the farm system. Maitan signed for a $4.25MM bonus at the opening of the 2016-17 July 2 international signing period, and he hit .241/.290/.340 in his first pro season, receiving 176 PA in rookie ball. Despite those unimpressive numbers, Maitan came into the season as a consensus top-100 prospect in baseball and is still just 17 years old — even if the new Braves decision-makers weren’t keen on Maitan, they’d still be losing a significant trade chip if the league did indeed void his contract with the team.

Update on previous comments.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Wouldnt surprise me if Epstein sitting with Hickey going over the Rays pitchers and then Epstein having conversations with the Rays to see if they can work something out..

Colome Archer Odorizzi or any other relievers...

Position players..

Kiermaier Souza..
Maddon might be chirping for Longoria lol..

I know you were kidding on Longoria, and of course the Cubs would have zero interest, but don't be surprised if he gets moved somewhere this winter as it's basically now or never if they decide to move on from him. He has 2 days of service time before he gets 5/10 rights. With the right offers on their guys they could very well decide to rebuild instead of try to compete in 2018.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I know you were kidding on Longoria, and of course the Cubs would have zero interest, but don't be surprised if he gets moved somewhere this winter as it's basically now or never if they decide to move on from him. He has 2 days of service time before he gets 5/10 rights. With the right offers on their guys they could very well decide to rebuild instead of try to compete in 2018.

Wouldn’t be shocked if a team like the Braves, Phillies, or Reds kicked the tires.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Wouldn’t be shocked if a team like the Braves, Phillies, or Reds kicked the tires.

Agreed. I think the Braves are going to be fascinating to watch with Hart and Copolella gone. Anthopoulos is a different breed than those guys, he's a dealer.