Otani posted, will be in MLB in 2018

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he gets 300 PA’s I believe it is fair. I’m questioning if he is durable enough for it though.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
What this report doesn't say is who gets bumped in the OF. I take it as the OF is Schwarber/Almora/Heyward. Almora gets bumped when Ohtani comes in to RF and Heyward goes to CF.

IDK this feel sooooo hokey to be honest. Let me put it this way: I would not trade Schwarber then just flat out give Ohtani LF on his off pitching days. That feels over the top and promotes a injury. Then losing Schwarber who might break out in his 2nd full season.

Then Almora who looked vastly improved last year where you would want to challenge him more vs restrict.

Again it feels like a pushed situation vs a realistic one.

Then Heyward...ya no trade...

Its not even a platoon deal since he bats left handed too.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If he gets 300 PA’s I believe it is fair. I’m questioning if he is durable enough for it though.

See that's why I think it would be stupid for him to DH because if you go in and say the job is his from opening day you aren't building behind him in case he wears out or is ineffective because clearly that undermines what you actually are offering to give him. The difference with a situation like I outlined the cubs possibly doing is Maddon can control that. And by running 3 catchers(probably one being caratini) you can shuffle guys between AAA and MLB if he starts to wear down some. For example, assuming no trades you could bring up Hannemann/Zagunis as an additional OF throughout the season if you notice he begins to tire some and send down Caratini.

From the cubs perspective that sort of plan for him has basically no risk. You're not likely to sign a $8-10 mil FA guy for your 5th outfielder anyways and Zagunis or hannemann would probably be the most likely guy as a 5th outfielder should you have one anyways. On the contrary an AL team may have a chance to sign a real DH and it would be a choice between gambling that Othani is good enough to do it or signing someone you know can hit and maybe missing out on him. From Ohtani's perspective(and his handlers for that matter), you're set up to have the ability to earn the chance to do what you want but not the necessity that you have to do it. As I've said before, i'm sure his agent really wont want him hitting because any decent agent is going to realize he gets that big extension by being Kershaw not by being Trout/Babe Ruth.

And from Ohtani's personal perspective I believe he basically has said he's not sure if he'd be good enough to hit in the majors but would like the challenge if a team saw fit. What's great about an NL team and one in the situation as I described for the cubs is that there's levels of hitting he can reach based on how well he handles the extra playing time in terms of being tired and how well he hits. If he's a terrible hitter(vs a regular player) then he get's 60 PAs as a pitcher. If he's a mediocre mlb hitter he gets 60 PAs plus is a useful RH bat on the bench. If he's a good hitter then a team with the versatility like the cubs have can find ways to maximize that talent. But the key here is all of that comes based on earning it rather than being handed to him. And I have to believe an elite athlete such as he is will appreciate the fact he is earning it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe that he can be either a ace or a core power hitter but not both. Something has to give. Even Ruth couldn’t do both at the same time and had to choose.

I see 100 MPH. and I’m geared that way. When his mph dies off maybe then he can shift over to hitting if that proves to be the superior ability.

But in general a DH will sit most of the game anyways at the most strain he sees is base running. Maybe if he has a forced swing mechanic it could cause issues.

Playing in any outfield well we have seen plenty of wall crashes, dives. Going into the stands. Collisions. Then putting effort into plate throws. From RF to 3B. That puts strain on the arm.

Like I said it feels hokey

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ohtani will be posted today and have til Dec 22 to reach an agreement...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Mike Berardino‏Verified account
@MikeBerardino
Follow Follow @MikeBerardino
More
Sources briefed on Ohtani cutdown tell me "heavy West Coast" flavor to final list. #Cubs a possible exception along with SEA, SF, SD and both LA clubs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Im making a prediction...

No Japanese star, etc

West Coast

Small market

He can DH

Sounds like Oakland would be the perfect fit

One thing for sure now, it definately wont be the cubs

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is someone sure of 5 teams and the Cubs a maybe? That's annoying lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Small market towards WC. Seattle most likely with SF in play.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

No Japanese star, etc

West Coast

Small market

He can DH

There's absolutely 0 way his agent would let him go to Oakland. Not to mention their stadium is an utter dump at the moment and while they are trying to get a new one built that was one of the things on the questionary he made teams fill out.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account
@Ken_Rosenthal
32m32 minutes ago
More
Sources: #Twins also out on Ohtani, joining #RedSox, #Yankees. Strong belief, as others have noted, that he will wind up on west coast. #SFGiants, #Mariners in, per @JeffPassan.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
There's absolutely 0 way his agent would let him go to Oakland. Not to mention their stadium is an utter dump at the moment and while they are trying to get a new one built that was one of the things on the questionary he made teams fill out.

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account
@Ken_Rosenthal
31m31 minutes ago
More
Per source, #Athletics also out on Ohtani, so not every west-coast team is in mix.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Joel Sherman‏Verified account
@Joelsherman1
22m22 minutes ago
More
the #Mets also were told they are out on Ohtani, the Post has learned.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

No Japanese star, etc

West Coast

Small market

He can DH

Oakland has already been ruled out.

And FWIW, Cubs haven't.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
6:12pm: The Blue Jays, Pirates, and Brewers are all out, as respectively reported by Sportsnet.ca’s Shi Davidi, MLB.com’s Adam Berry, and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Tom Haudricourt (all Twitter links).