Otani posted, will be in MLB in 2018

DanTown

Liked Posts:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ippon-ham-fighters-move-mlb-article-1.3623142

It goes without saying that signing him would make the off-season a rousing success regardless of what else happens.
Cubs can only offer the minimum for him...

So

If money and not being able to hit everyday isnt an issue then cubs have a chance...

My guess because he can DH and be offered the most money from..

Yankees and Rangers are most likely destination...
Mariners also a possibility
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Still think the Dodgers will offer the most. Yankees are not going spend crazy yet, Red Sox are spending more.

Pitch and daily pinch hitter? Put him in left field on his "throwing bullpen" days?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
It's a shame the cubs can only offer the minimum. It wouldn't make sense for him to sign in Chicago. I'm guessing he will be a Yankee.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
From what I understand it is only the signing bonus that is limited in scope of dollars correct? They get typical 6-7 years before hitting free agency and get typical arbitration years. So if he took less of a bonus to play where he wants he is only losing out on a few million of the bonus. So a difference between 300k and 3 million I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I have no idea what money means to Otani because he could have waited two years and made 150mil+

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I have no idea what money means to Otani because he could have waited two years and made 150mil+

He can still extend. A precedent would be Kershaw.

1 year/$0.404M (2009)
re-signed by LA Dodgers 3/6/09

1 year/$0.44M (2010)
re-signed by LA Dodgers 2/10

1 year/$0.5M (2011)
re-signed by LA Dodgers 3/2/11

2 years/$19M (2012-13)
signed extension with LA Dodgers 2/7/12 (avoided arbitration, $10M-$6.35M)
$0.5M signing bonus
12:$7.5M, 13:$11M

7 years/$215M (2014-20)
signed extension with LA Dodgers 1/14 (avoided arbitration)
$18M signing bonus
14:$4M, 15:$30M, 16:$32M, 17:$33M, 18:$33M, 19:$32M, 20:$33M

CSF77

Liked Posts:
While Cubs GM Jed Hoyer has declined to comment on his team’s pursuit of Shohei Ohtani, Patrick Mooney of NBC Sports Chicago suggests a plan of attack for the team in trying to acquire the Japanese ace. While bringing an end to “The Curse” is no longer a selling point (as it may have been to Jon Lester and some others, according to Mooney), Chicago still has plenty to offer as a city. Hoyer will be working hard to put together a more attractive pitch to Ohtani and his agents than the other 29 MLB teams that will be vying for the two-way star’s services.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looks to be down to 6 hrs now for Ohtani to be posted...

Guess it could play in cubs favor if this dont go through now and he has to wait ..
6a4208b2d35487cb429cb9764519de13.jpg

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looks to be down to 6 hrs now for Ohtani to be posted...

Guess it could play in cubs favor if this dont go through now and he has to wait ..
6a4208b2d35487cb429cb9764519de13.jpg

Deadline was agreed to extend 24 hours til 7pm tomorrow night..

Meanwhile Yankees just made a deal for more IFA money....

Hmmmm

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be a shocker if Ohtani landed anywhere else than NYY.

Serverino
Tanaka
Gray
Ohtani
Montgomery

Too good of a fit. Chad Green is a solid back up plan.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Deadline was agreed to extend 24 hours til 7pm tomorrow night..

Meanwhile Yankees just made a deal for more IFA money....

Hmmmm

Doesn't necessarily mean much. If Maitan becomes a free agent as is expected he will be subject to IFA bonus pools still in which case you could feasibly argue the Yankees want the money for that as well.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Looks like a deal is done here...

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/...reement-reportedly-reached-aka-its-happening/

Anyone knows how this works...

Yankees Rangers can offer 3 mil signing bonus
Cubs can only offer 300K

Is that the only difference? Meaning after the signing bonus it like a normal FA thing where teams offer years and money

From what I've read, it's literally only going to be a signing bonus with him because he doesn't have the age(think 25) and years of experience in pro ball(think 5). In that sense he'd be just like Eloy/Torres or any draft pick. The $3-3.5 mil the yankees can offer him is simply a 1 time payment. After that he's on a minor league contract until he gets put on the 40 man. And presumably MLB will be paying close attention when he goes to sign a long term extension with who he signs with.

That's generally why people think money isn't a big deal. I mean sure it's a difference of ~$3 million but in the grand scope of what he's likely to get it's peanuts. Also, I think sponsorship is going to be as big a deal for him. Nike or whoever he signs shoe/clothing deals with are going to likely want him in a top 5 market. The dodgers actually only have $150k if i'm not mistaken left in their IFA budget. So they seem even less likely than the cubs. Mets and Angels both seem like weird big market b-teams to go to. And Philly/Dallas(rangers) seem like some what odd markets for him to go to given the state of their teams.

I think it's likely going to come down to the Yankees cubs and one or two other dark horse type teams. Seattle given their large asian market also makes sense to me.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
From what I've read, it's literally only going to be a signing bonus with him because he doesn't have the age(think 25) and years of experience in pro ball(think 5). In that sense he'd be just like Eloy/Torres or any draft pick. The $3-3.5 mil the yankees can offer him is simply a 1 time payment. After that he's on a minor league contract until he gets put on the 40 man. And presumably MLB will be paying close attention when he goes to sign a long term extension with who he signs with.

That's generally why people think money isn't a big deal. I mean sure it's a difference of ~$3 million but in the grand scope of what he's likely to get it's peanuts. Also, I think sponsorship is going to be as big a deal for him. Nike or whoever he signs shoe/clothing deals with are going to likely want him in a top 5 market. The dodgers actually only have $150k if i'm not mistaken left in their IFA budget. So they seem even less likely than the cubs. Mets and Angels both seem like weird big market b-teams to go to. And Philly/Dallas(rangers) seem like some what odd markets for him to go to given the state of their teams.

I think it's likely going to come down to the Yankees cubs and one or two other dark horse type teams. Seattle given their large asian market also makes sense to me.
Guessing Cubs will now wait til after Ohtani decides before making any trades or FA signings of pitchers...
He will be posted Dec 1 or 2nd

They get Ohtani it changes their whole offseason strategy as far as SP concerns..

Sign Ohtani and Cobb, then they have more assets for relief pitching/ closer if they choose to go that route

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Guessing Cubs will now wait til after Ohtani decides before making any trades or FA signings of pitchers...
He will be posted Dec 1 or 2nd

They get Ohtani it changes their whole offseason strategy as far as SP concerns..

Sign Ohtani and Cobb, then they have more assets for relief pitching/ closer if they choose to go that route

Not really. I read they agreed to give him an exemption only til like a week before xmas. Winter meetings start the 10th I think which is like 2 weeks prior to xmas. So changes are he signs at the winter meetings or prior.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not really. I read they agreed to give him an exemption only til like a week before xmas. Winter meetings start the 10th I think which is like 2 weeks prior to xmas. So changes are he signs at the winter meetings or prior.
Not really to what ?

They said itll take 10 days before he posted, which will be dec 1 or 2nd, depending if it completed today or tomorrow ...

After that he can talk to teams

So.. as i stated above, im guessing the cubs are going to wait for ohtani decision before making any major SP moves

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Here i found this...

Per Joel Sherman of the*New York Post, the MLBPA has reached an agreement with NPB on the posting system on Tuesday. The final hurdle now becomes the MLB owners ratifying the agreement. They have 10 days to do so, per Sherman, meaning we could see Ohtani posted next Friday at the earliest.*

Ohtani then has 21 days to sign after posting,*per Sherman.

So.. owners have 10 days to ratify tge agreement, then he can post..

Then teams and Ohtani have 3 weeks from that date to come to an agreement..

So the latest is around Christmas for him to sign with a team

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not really to what ?

Not really to them waiting. Like you're not entirely wrong there that sure they want to see where he lands but my point was more that #5 starters typically down sign until the end of Dec/early Jan anyways. Typically the guys who sign at the winter meetings are your Arrieta/Darvish types and once they set the market then the lesser guys sign. So, it's not as though you hold out hope for a long while on Ohtani and miss other #5 type starters.