Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
sarcasm

Something that nobody on the internet can ever recognize.

Do you really blame me with so many meat head fans? Missed the sarcasm....which I’m usually pretty good with...my fault.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So, Pace could blow 18 mil on Glennon, but not waste 7 on Fox?

Pace probably thought Glennon could play.... Which he clearly can't and was an obvious fuck up by him.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
The title of this thread is an insult to the intelligence . . .

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just blow it all up and give Jim Harbaugh the keys. He might just be the right kind of bat shit crazy to make this franchise relevant. You need an alpha dog who will put the McCaskeys in their place and Pace is not that.

I see this said all the time and I think Fox getting an extension is more likely. ( which obviously ain't happening)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think Pace is only going to bring in a coach who wants Trubisky as their guy.

As he should. Trubs deserves at least two more years and will hopefully have some offensive weapons in these next two years.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace probably thought Glennon could play.... Which he clearly can't and was an obvious fuck up by him.

All Pace has to go off of was how he played when he did start for Tampa and he didn't play that bad for them. People love to live in hindsight around here but nobody was expecting things to go as bad as they did with Glennon. A lot of people didn't like the move still but there was no way to tell it was gonna be this bad. It was a bad signing so you get over it and move on which i'm sure Pace and some Bears fans have done but of course there will always be some Bears fans that just can't let it go. Bad signings happen every single year multiple times.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
All Pace has to go off of was how he played when he did start for Tampa and he didn't play that bad for them. People love to live in hindsight around here but nobody was expecting things to go as bad as they did with Glennon. A lot of people didn't like the move still but there was no way to tell it was gonna be this bad. It was a bad signing so you get over it and move on which i'm sure Pace and some Bears fans have done but of course there will always be some Bears fans that just can't let it go. Bad signings happen every single year multiple times.

All he had to go on was how he played at Tampa? You are right in his play at Tampa warrneted an invite for him to come in for interviews and physical workouts and practices that simulate game situations before deciding how high or low he was as a FA target. Pace made a mistake. There simply is no getting around that.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This was from a couple of weeks ago. The seat just continues to get hotter for Fox and both places now appear to be fully on board with that point.

On Pace. I'm not trying to argue for Pace to get fired, but I think you have to hold in your mind that his first year was awful. The rebuild IS behind schedule. Too early IMO to fire a GM, and I think subsequent years have generally been better, but he needs a couple of superstars quick, or patience will justifiably run out. They may even already be on the roster, who knows, but they need to show up.

To recap Pace:
Y1 - Hiring Fox - Failed
- FA - Failed
- Draft - Failed

Y2
Draft - good
FA - good

Y3
Draft - Inc
FA - failed.

Probably gets more time, but I understand why people aren't happy with him to date.

I'm just going to drop this copy pasta I said before for the sake of making my point.

2017 1st Mitch Trubisky - Obviously to be determined
2017 2nd Adam Shaheen - Grossly underused, has hauled in 8 of 9 targets for 83 yards 2 TDs with an 89% catch rate / mostly been used as a blocker so far
2017 4th Eddie Jackson - Hit, the kid has ball skills and doesn't often get burned. Has rarely looked like a rookie to me this season.
2017 4th Tarik Cohen - Hit, when defenses are playing the Bears differently on snaps Cohen sees the field then you know you got yourself a playmaker
2017 5th Jordan Morgan - Backup OL on IR, incomplete picture

2016 1st Leonard Floyd - Hit / has played well enough to say he's a long term starter with potential
2016 2nd Cody Whitehair - Had an impressive rookie season earning himself all-rookie team honors and has struggled this year
2016 3rd Jonathan Bullard - Hit / progressing well from last year
2016 4th Nick Kwiatkoski - Kid is a thumper and alright in the running game / lacks lateral speed and not so great in coverage
2016 4th Deon Bush - Barely has played 21 snaps / incomplete picture
2016 4th Deiondre' Hall - Showed potential at cornerback last year
2016 5th Jordan Howard - Slam dunk, nuff said
2016 6th DeAndre Houston-Carson - Future uncertain due to Amos / Jackson taking up safety positions (might be given a look at cornerback)
2016 7th Daniel Braverman - Gone / Free agent

2015 1st Kevin White - Toast due to injury, never got to show if he had it or not (oh well shit happens)
2015 2nd Eddie Goldman - Slam dunk tackle pick and easily a long term starter
2015 3rd Hroniss Grasu - Another injury derailed player / all but gone IMO
2015 4th Jeremy Langford - Gone / Free agent
2015 5th Adrian Amos - Emerging as our potential long term starter at strong safety after being forced to play free safety prior years
2015 6th Tayo Fabuluje - Gone / AFL player now

As for free agency, most people are misunderstanding what Pace is doing. He has been renting players while taking calculated stabs to find some long term starters along the way. To that end he has done just barely okay in free agency.

So in summary yes he's had a whole bunch of whiffs in free agency but rarely have any of those guys been high risks. He did manage to overpay a couple of guys that just ended up being perpetually injured, suspended or provided lackluster performances. Shit happens. He did manage to find some gems in free agency though. His 2015 draft was mediocre but at least managed to get a couple of good starters in Amos and Goldman, that isn't a failure to me. Its just below average to average. I've said this plenty of times before, find me GMs that found more starters in the past three drafts combined. People don't have a true appreciation for a GM until they ACTUALLY see just how often GMs fail at drafting.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Normally when you rebuild there at least some signs of progressions. Only the Bears can regress in a rebuild.

That is because you can't turn over 40+ players from a roster in a single season bro. It took this long to blow it up and replace players along the way. I came to that brutal conclusion last season at the end of the year. I was falsely holding onto hope that this team would somehow make a quick turnaround. That was never in the cards. It was going to be a complete and total rebuild.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Pace has had some pretty high picks to work with, it is not like he is picking at the back half of the round.

I'm not ready to move on from Pace YET, because we are in really good shape with the Cap, he has drafted pretty good, but next year the Talent needs to be having an impact, otherwise he needs to move on too.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is because you can't turn over 40+ players from a roster in a single season bro. It took this long to blow it up and replace players along the way. I came to that brutal conclusion last season at the end of the year. I was falsely holding onto hope that this team would somehow make a quick turnaround. That was never in the cards. It was going to be a complete and total rebuild.

Yep. Hard to do when facing the very top #1 strength in schedule AND yet again, being destroyed by injuries.

I was optimistic too, especially for the 2nd half of the season. Turns out to be harder than expected plus...

...what we've been seeing lately...is NOT even close to the Bears starting roster. Too many pieces being filled by backups. This team doesn't yet have quality depth to deal with these losses when coaching is this bad.

Next year will be a new roster just due to health...well until they start practicing at least...Cam, White...who else this time? Good lord.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, Pace could blow 18 mil on Glennon, but not waste 7 on Fox?

Its more like 9 Million at 4.5 million per season. Pace also HAD to spend on something to keep the salary cap somewhere near acceptable spending levels for this current salary cap period that began while still leaving himself ample space for future spending. Since as we already know this coming off-season is going to be really hard on Pace having to make many decisions on who to re-sign, release and extend.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Forget all this "coveted" talk. The Bears were deemed the "most coveted" job after Lovie was fired and we ended up with Trestman lmfao.

Every NFL HC gig is desirable except for maybe the Browns; there will be candidates chomping at the bit to come here. There are no "leftovers," only good coaches and bad ones.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
You get it. You cannot overcome 7 years of awful drafts with 3 years of good drafts.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just going to drop this copy pasta I said before for the sake of making my point.

2017 1st Mitch Trubisky - Obviously to be determined
2017 2nd Adam Shaheen - Grossly underused, has hauled in 8 of 9 targets for 83 yards 2 TDs with an 89% catch rate / mostly been used as a blocker so far
2017 4th Eddie Jackson - Hit, the kid has ball skills and doesn't often get burned. Has rarely looked like a rookie to me this season.
2017 4th Tarik Cohen - Hit, when defenses are playing the Bears differently on snaps Cohen sees the field then you know you got yourself a playmaker
2017 5th Jordan Morgan - Backup OL on IR, incomplete picture

2016 1st Leonard Floyd - Hit / has played well enough to say he's a long term starter with potential
2016 2nd Cody Whitehair - Had an impressive rookie season earning himself all-rookie team honors and has struggled this year
2016 3rd Jonathan Bullard - Hit / progressing well from last year
2016 4th Nick Kwiatkoski - Kid is a thumper and alright in the running game / lacks lateral speed and not so great in coverage
2016 4th Deon Bush - Barely has played 21 snaps / incomplete picture
2016 4th Deiondre' Hall - Showed potential at cornerback last year
2016 5th Jordan Howard - Slam dunk, nuff said
2016 6th DeAndre Houston-Carson - Future uncertain due to Amos / Jackson taking up safety positions (might be given a look at cornerback)
2016 7th Daniel Braverman - Gone / Free agent

2015 1st Kevin White - Toast due to injury, never got to show if he had it or not (oh well shit happens)
2015 2nd Eddie Goldman - Slam dunk tackle pick and easily a long term starter
2015 3rd Hroniss Grasu - Another injury derailed player / all but gone IMO
2015 4th Jeremy Langford - Gone / Free agent
2015 5th Adrian Amos - Emerging as our potential long term starter at strong safety after being forced to play free safety prior years
2015 6th Tayo Fabuluje - Gone / AFL player now

As for free agency, most people are misunderstanding what Pace is doing. He has been renting players while taking calculated stabs to find some long term starters along the way. To that end he has done just barely okay in free agency.

So in summary yes he's had a whole bunch of whiffs in free agency but rarely have any of those guys been high risks. He did manage to overpay a couple of guys that just ended up being perpetually injured, suspended or provided lackluster performances. Shit happens. He did manage to find some gems in free agency though. His 2016 draft was mediocre but at least managed to get a couple of good starters in Amos and Goldman, that isn't a failure to me. Its just below average to average. I've said this plenty of times before, find me GMs that found more starters in the past three drafts combined. People don't have a true appreciation for a GM until they ACTUALLY see just how often GMs fail at drafting.

I don't think we are as far apart on this as it appears. As I have stated a number of times, I'm not trying to push for Pace to get fired this year, I just think there are legitimate issues with the results that have been seen to this point.

My one main issue with your post. "Shit happens" is listed in here a couple of times. It is also not a good enough excuse. You have to be good enough to overcome the shit or avoid it in the first place. Nobody is going to hit 100% of the time, we all understand that, but it's not like "good" GMs don't get shit. Pace's level of shit isn't generally out of line overall with the types of players he has signed (Kevin White had no major injury history as far as I know, but guys like Pernell McPhee, Santos, Wheaton etc... did)

The other thing is this, lots of people give Pace a pass for the free agency because of the way he has structured contracts. I get it, and it almost certainly is the right way to go about it, and is where the league is trending overall (meaning, this isn't unique to Pace. This couldn't exist 10 years ago because the same players would be getting multi-year deals) but you also have a situation where if you want to re-sign Prince Amukamara this year, you have to fight to keep him. That appears to be a "hit" but is it really? Because you could still lose him. Ultimately it is a low risk, low reward approach.

As far as 2015 - your "average to below average" still wouldn't be enough to get a good team on the field. If each year, you got 1 good starter, and 1 guy that could be developing into a player during his third year, you will have one of the worst teams in the league in 5 years. The fact that that other drafts have been worse doesn't put the talent on the field now. I stand by my classification of that year as bad, and a draft that didn't push the rebuild forward.

I also agree that the 2016 draft was very good. 2017 is TBD. Obviously the "money" pick is Trubisky, and if he starts performing like a franchise quarterback, all this hand wringing will look silly over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace isn't averaging 2 players per draft. You're holding onto this an repeating it over and over again. So what. He only managed to get two players from THAT draft. The subsequent drafts weren't that bad. I really go batshit crazy reading statements like that because, and please follow this logic to completion, WHAT GM DRAFTED MORE STARTERS IN THE PAST THREE YEARS? Furthermore you're also ignoring that Ryan Pace had no choice but to go into his first draft with Phil Emery's scouting staff in place. Do you truly not see a chasm between the 2015 draft and the 2016 draft? So you're holding onto one draft and pointing to it as if its his end all be all. Except not only is it not his end all be all, WHO EXACTLY WOULD HAVE DRAFTED MORE STARTERS FROM 2015 TO 2017? I will gladly eat my words if you find me one single GM that took the job in recent years and found more starters.

Entirely aside from all of that is the fact that people have seriously wide ranging differences in what they perceive to be starters, quality starters and superstars. For some reason people somehow think that GMs are going to find stars and superstars at most positions. The fact is the vast majority of NFL players are just starters. Hell, we have some star / borderline superstar players that people shit on if they don't ball out every single game. Guys like Hicks and Goldman are stud players we have and people even complain about players on that level. I just throw my hands up in the air and say I give up when I see shit like that.

Do you see what I am getting at? Its easy to point fingers but who exactly was the better alternative? And don't give me potential hires that haven't done anything. I am talking about GMs currently on the clock with drafts on record. Some people just have unrealistic standards and have to come to grips with that fact.

So in summary yes you're right, we agree on many things but that is certainly one thing we don't agree on.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Sorry xbrah, but I jumped off the Pace express.