Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IMO there are conditions to just how coveted the HC position will be. Does management saddle the incoming head coach with any staff from the existing regime? Does Ryan Pace meddle with Trubisky's usage? Does Ryan Pace fail to revamp the receiving corps?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Cowher? Gruden? As a Bears fan, I prefer a coach who yells a lot. That's pretty much the only requirement.

Tommy-Lee-Jones-Stare-Golden-Globes.gif

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
IMO there are conditions to just how coveted the HC position will be. Does management saddle the incoming head coach with any staff from the existing regime? Does Ryan Pace meddle with Trubisky's usage? Does Ryan Pace fail to revamp the receiving corps?

On the 1st bold, I don't think that will be an issue. If Pace makes a change, the assumption is he will look for an offensive minded head coach. If he does, the only coaches to worry about are Fangio and Donatell, who I believe both are FAs after the year. Pace would be stupid to sign one or both of them and either hitch his future to Fox's or a coach forced into defensive coaches. If Pace hires a defensive minded coach, then none of the offensive coaches are worthy of being kept.

As for the 2nd bold, a new coach would be hired in January or February at the latest. Pace won't be able to revamp anything on the roster until free agency in March and the draft in April.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
  • Two young runningbacks leading a top 5 run game
  • A top 10 defense on the rise
  • A rookie quarterback taken #2 overall

We should have our pick of the litter if the McCaskey's don't lowball everyone.

Indeed . . . This whole thing oughta be enough to get Dave McGinniss to deplane and head back to Halas Hall . . .

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On the 1st bold, I don't think that will be an issue. If Pace makes a change, the assumption is he will look for an offensive minded head coach. If he does, the only coaches to worry about are Fangio and Donatell, who I believe both are FAs after the year. Pace would be stupid to sign one or both of them and either hitch his future to Fox's or a coach forced into defensive coaches. If Pace hires a defensive minded coach, then none of the offensive coaches are worthy of being kept.

As for the 2nd bold, a new coach would be hired in January or February at the latest. Pace won't be able to revamp anything on the roster until free agency in March and the draft in April.

Be careful with assumptions. Fox being gone isn't a foregone conclusion no matter how much people may want or expect it. I've already said that Fox has an out to finish the last year of his contract by saying he will retire after next season so he doesn't give the appearance of being a lame duck coach on his last year without an extension. It is however telling that Fangio's contract expires a year before Fox's and likely Donatell's does as well (couldn't find that anywhere). So while in all likelihood Fox is gone, it ain't a certainty just yet.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Be careful with assumptions. Fox being gone isn't a foregone conclusion no matter how much people may want or expect it. I've already said that Fox has an out to finish the last year of his contract by saying he will retire after next season so he doesn't give the appearance of being a lame duck coach on his last year without an extension. It is however telling that Fangio's contract expires a year before Fox's and likely Donatell's does as well (couldn't find that anywhere). So while in all likelihood Fox is gone, it ain't a certainty just yet.

I actually don’t think it’s likely at all. If Fox finishes 8-8 he gets an extension.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I didn't assume anything and started my 1st point with an "If". But you are right, it's not a foregone conclusion Fox is out. The Bears could win 5 or more of their last 8 and potentially save his job. But if Ryan Pace is smart, he'd get the inevitable over with. If you're not going to extend Fox (no reason to even consider it at this point), then why waste another year with him? It's not like he has an Adam Gase or Josh McDaniels or Jim Bob Cooter who may be the HC in waiting that's not quite ready yet. It's going to be a huge house cleaning whenever Fox is gone. If Pace stays with Fox for another year and things don't get better offensively, Trubisky will be a wasted/bad pick and Pace will risk leaving out the door with Fox after 2018.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's interesting that most here want fox gone, but on the bears unofficial Reddit (probably bigger than this place) the tone is completely the opposite.

Personally, I want him gone because of Trubisky. Fox is a product of his coordinators, and while he has a history of getting very good coordinators, I have to feel with Loggains that his luck may have run out. PLUS, if he is retained, he is still most likely a 1 year coach whether or not he gets a one year extension, so even if he were to fire Loggains, it seems unlikely that he is able to make a phone call and get the next young top O coordinator.

On the other hand, you have an opportunity here with a good young defense, and a developmental quarterback. Plus you can assume that help in terms of weapons will be coming. I think this offseason should be the time to act. Fire fox, and get someone that has an established track record of offensive success, and/or quarterback development.

Don't squander another year of Trubisky. I'm comfortable saying that another year of Fox will do just that. When Pace drafted a Quarterback, he got a lot of equity with me. When looking at the Y1-Y2 jumps of last year's draft class, I have to be confident that Pace isn't tone deaf enough to keep a coach that is unlikely to allow a young QB to realize his potential.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I actually don’t think it’s likely at all. If Fox finishes 8-8 he gets an extension.

You don't think it's likely that Fox is gone.....AND you think 8-8 gets him an extension? He's gone 12-28 in 2+ years, and you think A) he can win 5 games in 8 tries and B) that that is impressive enough to throw money to him at age 63?

Why the fuck as Bears fans do we keep settling for mediocrity? Fox isn't good enough, he never has been. His best seasons ended in Superbowl losses, 1 a blowout with a 1st ballot HOF QB, so he doesn't even have a ring to hang his hat on. Fired Lovie after 10-6 because of stagnation. Why are we extending coaches after 8-8, following 9 wins in 2 years?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You don't think it's likely that Fox is gone.....AND you think 8-8 gets him an extension? He's gone 12-28 in 2+ years, and you think A) he can win 5 games in 8 tries and B) that that is impressive enough to throw money to him at age 63?

Why the fuck as Bears fans do we keep settling for mediocrity? Fox isn't good enough, he never has been. His best seasons ended in Superbowl losses, 1 a blowout with a 1st ballot HOF QB, so he doesn't even have a ring to hang his hat on. Fired Lovie after 10-6 because of stagnation. Why are we extending coaches after 8-8, following 9 wins in 2 years?

TBH only meatballs and idiots ever thought that Fox was going to be stacking wins for the Bears with the team he and Pace inherited. He was markedly the rebuilding coach. The rebuild ain't exactly done yet either. 8-8 would be a pretty big leap for this team from last season. Not a single analyst put the Bears at 8-8 on the season before it began. Hell the best I remember anyone saying was 6-10 and maybe, maybe one guy might have said 7-9 and they considered that a healthy leap of faith.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
TBH only meatballs and idiots ever thought that Fox was going to be stacking wins for the Bears with the team he and Pace inherited. He was markedly the rebuilding coach. The rebuild ain't exactly done yet either. 8-8 would be a pretty big leap for this team from last season. Not a single analyst put the Bears at 8-8 on the season before it began. Hell the best I remember anyone saying was 6-10 and maybe, maybe one guy might have said 7-9 and they considered that a healthy leap of faith.

After three rebuilding years (including this one), I have a hard time seeing striving for mediocrity as an acceptable level of progress. From a team perspective, I just don't believe in John Fox either, so I have trouble thinking that slightly outpacing one season expectations this year (when most realistic Bears fans considered the rebuild behind schedule coming into this year) SHOULD earn Fox an extension.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I really feel these coaching change threads are wishful thinking. The team is able to hang with tough opponents when in years past it would have been monster blowouts. I feel that we will win enough games to justify Fox remaining for the final year of his contract. Kinda hard to fire a guy after a 5 or 6 game improvement. How often does that happen? I think the decision will be predicated on making or not making the playoffs next year.

I also believe Trubisky's numbers will ascend as the season progresses, making it even harder to justify firing Fox. I realize some fans already have made their mind up about Fox, but don't cling to that judgement when success dictates a more rational assessment. Fans often find themselves in the conundrum of hoping Trubisky has 3 TD, 300 yard games in a loss to justify their opinion that Fox needs be fired. Please don't be that guy. Pretty please.

Bear down!

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After three rebuilding years (including this one), I have a hard time seeing striving for mediocrity as an acceptable level of progress. From a team perspective, I just don't believe in John Fox either, so I have trouble thinking that slightly outpacing one season expectations this year (when most realistic Bears fans considered the rebuild behind schedule coming into this year) SHOULD earn Fox an extension.

All that post amounts to is that you don't like Fox and because you don't like Fox then he should be gone since in your estimation the rebuild is behind schedule. Well the fact is that if you believe the rebuild is behind schedule then the blame falls squarely on Ryan Pace since he is the man calling the shots on what chicken shit Fox has at his disposal to make chicken salad out of it. Fox is clearly a defensive leaning head coach. The defense between Fox and Fangio has been nearly entirely rebuilt in those 3 years (present year included). So how then has Fox really failed as the rebuilding head coach? As I am sure you know, its impossible for Pace to have turned over the roster completely in less time. 10+ years of atrocious drafting isn't wiped in a mere 3 off-seasons.

So which is it? Is the rebuild behind schedule? Or do you just want to make excuses to get the outcome you want? If the rebuild is behind schedule, which of course is hardly Fox's fault, can you please go ahead and identify in the past three off-seasons and drafts where Pace went wrong or how he could have done better so that the Bears weren't behind schedule.