Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't think it's likely that Fox is gone.....AND you think 8-8 gets him an extension? He's gone 12-28 in 2+ years, and you think A) he can win 5 games in 8 tries and B) that that is impressive enough to throw money to him at age 63?

Why the fuck as Bears fans do we keep settling for mediocrity? Fox isn't good enough, he never has been. His best seasons ended in Superbowl losses, 1 a blowout with a 1st ballot HOF QB, so he doesn't even have a ring to hang his hat on. Fired Lovie after 10-6 because of stagnation. Why are we extending coaches after 8-8, following 9 wins in 2 years?

Are you asking A) what do I think will happen? or B) what do I want to happen?

Because those are two very different things. No I don’t think Fox is fired this year and gets an extension that at least looks good to the Players and keeps him from being a lame duck HC.

In my perfect world Fox & Fangio stay keeping continuity on this emerging Defense. I don’t believe that Fangio would stay if Fox was fired. And fucking wth the Defense right now would be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Again in my perfect world, behind the scenes the handcuffs are taken off the Offense and put on Fox instead. Fox keeps his job but with the agreement that he is locked out of the Offensive decisions.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is the next Bears head coach in the back yard?

Don’t expect the talk of the next Chicago Bears head coach to die down anytime soon. Or at least until after this Sunday. If they beat Green Bay it will simmer for a bit to see if John Fox really has them on the right path. On the other hand if they lose? Rest assured the calls for Fox’s head will be deafening. Thus the search for his replacement will go on.

Most of the big names have been covered at this point. Jim Harbaugh, Josh McDaniels, Jon Gruden, Matt Patricia and Dave Toub are among the popular names for obvious reasons. Some are proven offensive minds who can take Mitch Trubisky to the next level. Others hold deep ties to the organization or have a near-flawless track record of success.

So maybe it’s time to consider the dark horse. The sleepers. It’s not like this organization hasn’t done it before. Ryan Pace wasn’t exactly predicted. There’s certainly a chance they might have eyes for somebody most other teams aren’t looking at. Chief among those names that has gained a sort of cult follow is just 20 miles from Halas Halas.

Could Pat Fitzgerald be the next Bears head coach?

Ready for a wild stat? In 97 years of existence, the Bears have hired one coaches who came from the college ranks. That was Ralph Jones back in 1930. He eventually led them to a championship in 1932, his last season. Since then every head coach the team has had came from the professional level. A span of 84 years and 13 different coaches.

Could the time finally be here to break the streak? Most would believe Harbaugh is the man who would do that. However, there is a slowly growing chorus that feels Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald is long overdue for an opportunity. He’s been leading that program for 12 seasons, and with more success than any before him. His record stands at 83-65 with seven bowl appearances. He’s the only coach in program history with two bowl victories and two double-digit win seasons.

Fitzgerald is a balanced coach with youth and experience

There are many aspects of Fitzgerald that could make him a viable option. His long run as a head coach makes experience a non-issue. He played both linebacker and slot receiver in college, so he has understanding of offense and defense. He’s a College Football Hall of Famer and to top it off just 42-years old. He has accomplished this much and is only now entering his prime.

He also seems to have an eye for quarterbacks. Under his watch both Mike Kafka and Trevor Siemian went on to get drafted. His latest project, Colton Thorson is projected to go that route as well. Imagine what he might do with access to NFL talent.

Last but not least, Fitzgerald is an Illinois-native. He was born in Orland Park and has stayed close to home throughout his football career. It’s felt that no NFL team would be able to pry him away. That is unless the team kept him close to family and friends. The Bears would obviously make sense.

Video Player
00:0001:11
The organization has certainly enjoyed the fruits of his labor already. Former defensive end Corey Wootton came from Fitzgerald’s program, as did special teams ace Sherrick McManis. In the 10 drafts during his run, Northwestern has seen 11 players drafted. In the 10 drafts prior to his arrival? There were zero.

It’s clear that this is a rock solid head coach. The question is will his methods work at the NFL level? There’s only one way to find out.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
the bottom line here is fox has never developed a qb in his tenure as head coach from what i remember. Aside from manning who pretty much called his own plays, fox runs a conservative offense. Pace just drafted a corvette in trubisky and hes going to continue to let fox drive him in the slow lane...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think we can all agree (or should agree) that no matter what anyone says in the media, or on here, no one really has a clue what the fuck Pace is thinking. If people haven't figured out after this years draft that Pace knows how to keep a secret then they're idiots.

MonkeyPox

Liked Posts:
McDaniels or Patricia if they go somewhere? Not sure who would be a good fit here.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
#3 is where you're markedly off base. Bears didn't just turn over the vast majority of their roster. They turned over an astounding majority of their roster. As I previously mentioned only 4 Bears draft picks remain pre-Pace.
What if I told you the Bears have 19 players on this team from Fox's first year in 2015 (includes IR players like Meredith who hasn't played this year) and the best team in the NFC, the Philadelphia Eagles have 16 from the 2015 roster?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gaucho

Liked Posts:
I really value what Hoge and Jahns say and both have been pretty adamant that Fox is not gone.

Add that to the more blow hard guys like bernstien, Mulligan and Haugh also backing off and I think the tea leaves are breaking that direction.

The schedule also gets way easier, 8-8 is legitimately in the sites, and Trubisky will show improvement because the defense we will play are going to be bad.
If that is indeed the case, 2019 will 100% be a make or break year for Ryan Pace. Fox doesn't lead the team to the playoffs, his contracts up, not retained, no chance they let a GM with 1 year left hire a HC to a 4 year deal.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think we can all agree (or should agree) that no matter what anyone says in the media, or on here, no one really has a clue what the fuck Pace is thinking. If people haven't figured out after this years draft that Pace knows how to keep a secret then they're idiots.

Exactly. These are the same media people who said Pace wouldn't draft a QB early because of Mike Glennon. Pace hasn't let anything leak in 3 years, he's not going to start now.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
yea, people seem to be forgetting the paces job security and the role itll play regarding what happens with fox. Fox is 63 years old its win now for him, he doesnt have another contract left in him. so, if the team doesnt have some big time success(a playoff win) very soon, pace is likely gone with fox after next season. it makes much more sense to move on from fox, who has maybe a year or two left tops regardless, and bring in a new hc. that way he buys himself a few years allowing trubs to develop(which again isnt happening under fox). in the end its in paces best interest to bring a new coach in after the season.

maybe instead of firing fox they allow him to go out with some dignity, retiring after the season?

i just dont see anyway bringing him back next year as a lame duck makes sense. it doesnt. and extending him makes even less sense. i really cant imagine pace not wanting to bring in a young offensive mind to help bring trubs along.

people were also sure lovie was safe after the 10-6 season. but fox has been much shittier than lovie ever was. hes a lesser version of lovie.

lol this fucking team.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
yea, people seem to be forgetting the paces job security and the role itll play regarding what happens with fox. Fox is 63 years old its win now for him, he doesnt have another contract left in him. so, if the team doesnt have some big time success(a playoff win) very soon, pace is likely gone with fox after next season. it makes much more sense to move on from fox, who has maybe a year or two left tops regardless, and bring in a new hc. that way he buys himself a few years allowing trubs to develop(which again isnt happening under fox). in the end its in paces best interest to bring a new coach in after the season.

maybe instead of firing fox they allow him to go out with some dignity, retiring after the season?

i just dont see anyway bringing him back next year as a lame duck makes sense. it doesnt. and extending him makes even less sense. i really cant imagine pace not wanting to bring in a young offensive mind to help bring trubs along.

people were also sure lovie was safe after the 10-6 season. but fox has been much shittier than lovie ever was. hes a lesser version of lovie.

lol this fucking team.

There's thinking something's going to happen. There's rumors of what will happen. But common sense has to prevail.

Fox isn't this young coach that hasn't gotten a fair shake. When he was hired, it was noted so many times how he turned things around in his 2nd year in Carolina and Denver. He had great coordinators in Gase and Fangio. Well, he went backwards in his 2nd year this time. Now, we're giving him moral victories for playing the Falcons and Saints close? We're giving him extensions for hypothetically winning 5 games in 8 weeks, when he couldn't win 5 in a full year last year?

Like you said, he'll be 63 after the season. You don't give him 1 more year to prove himself. If he doesn't, you've probably ruined Trubisky as Fox has never developed a QB. If Fox does manages to get this team to the playoffs then what? Sure we'd all be very happy with a 10-win, playoff team in 2018. But do you give him a 4-year deal (standard length of coach's deal) to coach til he's almost 68? Most 67 year olds are gambling their retirement away on slot machines. Even if you think 8-8 is some great accomplishment that you think means he deserves millions of dollars, you're still talking about a guy who is old, who hasn't won anything, and who has historically held back his offenses. The Bears just drafted a QB. Fox is not, and has never been the guy to develop a QB. Fox isn't going to be the coach of this team at the end of Trubisky's rookie contract. Whether he's allowed to walk after next year, or is re-signed and retires like most 65+ people do, the end game is he's gone by 2020 at the latest. Why prolong the inevitable when there's a justifiable out by firing him now?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
63 is too old for another contract? But we want Fangio at 59?

Tom Coughlin coached till 69 recently. Think Marv Levy was 65 when he coached the first of 4 AFC Championship teams.

I mean I know he's not young. But I don't think age is the important factor here, it's the product on the field.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There's thinking something's going to happen. There's rumors of what will happen. But common sense has to prevail.

Fox isn't this young coach that hasn't gotten a fair shake. When he was hired, it was noted so many times how he turned things around in his 2nd year in Carolina and Denver. He had great coordinators in Gase and Fangio. Well, he went backwards in his 2nd year this time. Now, we're giving him moral victories for playing the Falcons and Saints close? We're giving him extensions for hypothetically winning 5 games in 8 weeks, when he couldn't win 5 in a full year last year?

Like you said, he'll be 63 after the season. You don't give him 1 more year to prove himself. If he doesn't, you've probably ruined Trubisky as Fox has never developed a QB. If Fox does manages to get this team to the playoffs then what? Sure we'd all be very happy with a 10-win, playoff team in 2018. But do you give him a 4-year deal (standard length of coach's deal) to coach til he's almost 68? Most 67 year olds are gambling their retirement away on slot machines. Even if you think 8-8 is some great accomplishment that you think means he deserves millions of dollars, you're still talking about a guy who is old, who hasn't won anything, and who has historically held back his offenses. The Bears just drafted a QB. Fox is not, and has never been the guy to develop a QB. Fox isn't going to be the coach of this team at the end of Trubisky's rookie contract. Whether he's allowed to walk after next year, or is re-signed and retires like most 65+ people do, the end game is he's gone by 2020 at the latest. Why prolong the inevitable when there's a justifiable out by firing him now?

not to mention, 8-8 record. not because the Bears are good but because they played a cupcake schedule in the 2nd half.
The Bears don't need to win any game after tomorrow. beat GB, manage to blow every game after. the last thing this team needs is a false sense of hope/direction with a guy who is clearly past his prime.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I think it depends on what other coaches will be available in 2018 vs 2019. If a can't miss guy becomes available, then Pace pulls the trigger after this year. Similar to when the Cubs got Joe Maddon. If not, then Fox stays for the last year of his contract and his fate depends on if we make the playoffs next year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think it depends on what other coaches will be available in 2018 vs 2019. If a can't miss guy becomes available, then Pace pulls the trigger after this year. Similar to when the Cubs got Joe Maddon. If not, then Fox stays for the last year of his contract and his fate depends on if we make the playoffs next year.

This makes NO sense. This isn't baseball. You know what coaches are available. Every offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, QB coach, special teams coach, every assistant is available. These guys get hired every year in football to head coaching positions. In baseball, it's basically the same 30 coaches that move with a few former players getting new jobs every couple years. In baseball, nobody knows what effect a bench coach or pitching or hitting coach actually has on a team. In football, you know if a coordinator makes his side of the ball better. It's pretty straight forward.

You seem to be waiting on a Harbaugh or Gruden or some shit. You gonna wait forever if those guys don't want to come back to the NFL? And why are you hitching a 63 year old's future to any fate? He has no future. He's 2 years from the retirement age. This isn't Belichick we're talking about. This is John Fucking Fox.....the guy with 0 rings, 0 QBs developed in his career, and 12 wins out of 40 games in Chicago. What is it about him that says, "hey let's see how he does the last year of his contract before deciding to fire/extend him"? We know how he does. In Chicago, he does not good enough. In Carolina and Denver, his best is not winning the Superbowl. Don't settle for mediocrity (and 8-8 season) or almost winning. There's no guarantee a coordinator will take this job and win anything either, but after 20+ years, there's as much of a guarantee as possible that Fox isn't going to win anything.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
63 is too old for another contract? But we want Fangio at 59?

Tom Coughlin coached till 69 recently. Think Marv Levy was 65 when he coached the first of 4 AFC Championship teams.

I mean I know he's not young. But I don't think age is the important factor here, it's the product on the field.

Fox's age is not the end-all, be-all factor. But it's a huge factor when talking about giving him a contract extension when he hasn't done anything to earn it. If the Bears were truly building something because of him or if Fox had 3 Superbowl rings like Coughlin does, then maybe it would make sense. But Levy was an innovator. He basically made the "no huddle" offense a thing. Fox doesn't give the Bears that kind of competitive advantage. Fox doesn't have this amazing history worthy of revere. Maybe if Fox were 43 or 53 then I'd be open to letting him play out his last year of his contract. But he's going to be 63 in February. Even if he does coach the team to the playoffs next year, I don't want him given a new contract.....mainly because he'll be 64 and there's no nostalgia or competitive advantage he provides.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, I remember Giants fans wanting Coughlin gone & sited his age before they won a SB. Then they cooled off after wining a SB for a year or two and started it up again...then they won another SB...

Pete Carroll is 66, guys. I understand disagreeing with Fox's coaching philosophy, but his age has nothing to do with it. If we make the playoffs next year, and he wants to continue coaching, he'll get an extension.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you want to replace Loggains you need to extend Fox.

You are not luring a top OC candidate without at least a 3 year deal.

Allbright mentioned that the Rams may let LaFleur leave to be a play calling OC to better his chances of being a HC.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If that is indeed the case, 2019 will 100% be a make or break year for Ryan Pace. Fox doesn't lead the team to the playoffs, his contracts up, not retained, no chance they let a GM with 1 year left hire a HC to a 4 year deal.

I agree keeping Fox puts more of a target on Ryan Pace. He would be choosing 8-8 and a pile of dust, if that is what happens.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I dont mind John Fox, but at the emd of the day I give Vic Fangio the keys. If he wants to be coach let him, if he wants to be DC and coach under Fox, that's what we should do. If he wants to be DC under another coach, then let his wish be our command..

Whatever we need to do to secure Vic Fangio it must be done.