Bears head coaching job will be coveted.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
The McCaskeys are not going to sell their father's/grandfather's charter team, especially when it's the family's only business. If they were like some other owners and had made their money elsewhere and the team was a hobby, maybe, but not when it's their livelihood and family legacy. As much as it might be best for the team, it's not going to happen.

Agree, but I think the legacy issue is bigger than the money. They could sell the franchise tomorrow and all have generational wealth to put into any kind of investment they want. What they can't do is sell the franchise and buy a hundred years of tradition. That seems to mean a lot to them.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To answer your question, in about 5 minutes of looking, and just picking random teams without looking at the entire NFL, both Sashi Brown and Bob Quinn have as many starters in 2 drafts as the Bears have had in the past 3, well outpacing the 2 that you can't attribute to Emery.

What does it mean? Nothing, partially because the cupboard was bare to begin with, so it is much easier to get on the field. Neither of those franchises are ones to emulate, and it probably tells you something that those jumped out so quickly. If Pace continues to draft like he did in 2016, great, but we are both arguing the same point that it is too early to make that call, we just are balancing each other out.

Also, nowhere did I argue that there was a better alternative to Pace, simply that he has had just as much or more negative as he has positive, and I "understand" people that aren't happy with him.

The Bears are a shitty team, it is easier for young players to start.

The inportant question is how many impact or pro bowl guys has he drafted.

I see 2, Howard and Goldman.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not being a hardass, but I'm very curious on the average year for all pro-bowlers...do they reach it within first couple years? Probably varies quite a bit.

I'd also love to see the average W-L record for all the collective Pro-Bowlers. I'm guessing majority are on good teams surrounded with good talent, which would make sense. Rare are the Barry Sanders who kick ass despite opponents being able to key in on them.

This thread became a surprisingly good read the last few pages. Way to be CCS.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This coaching search will be about selling a coach on working within 10.

We can't offer some of the other benefits, but we can offer a 2nd overall QB that has gotten some of the growing pains out of the way.

Bronko

Liked Posts:
Agree, but I think the legacy issue is bigger than the money. They could sell the franchise tomorrow and all have generational wealth to put into any kind of investment they want. What they can't do is sell the franchise and buy a hundred years of tradition. That seems to mean a lot to them.

So what the hell happens to the Bears in the next generation? Which McChumpsky is going to inherit the control of the team? Or will there be a committee of imbeciles making decisions?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
This coaching search will be about selling a coach on working within 10.

We can't offer some of the other benefits, but we can offer a 2nd overall QB that has gotten some of the growing pains out of the way.
Do not underestimate the value of this.

The Giants are supposedly moving on from Eli Manning this offseason. Most of the teams that will fire their head coaches will not have a decent quarterback on their current roster.

Not every coach will believe in Mitch. But enough should, and smarter coaches I know that if you have a quarterback, the rest can be fixed up quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do not underestimate the value of this.

The Giants are supposedly moving on from Eli Manning this offseason. Most of the teams that will fire their head coaches will not have a decent quarterback on their current roster.

Not every coach will believe in Mitch. But enough should, and smarter coaches I know that if you have a quarterback, the rest can be fixed up quickly.

Other teams can offer young QBs and some others can offer high enough picks to get one and start from scratch.

I think Trubisky will be more attractive than a number of open qB situations, but who knows what people thought of him coming out.

Because this garbage offense is not highlighting his strengths and ability at all.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

I’d add Floyd and whitehair to that. Eddie Jackson could turn into something special. With a better scheme and coaching who knows what Cohen can be.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's funny is I've heard people say this same shit for every HC change since Ditka left... and yet every time like clockwork we end up settling for the HC leftovers out of the dumpster.

Wanny was a fucking clown.

Jauron was totally clueless and only got the job because McCaskey is a Special person who totally fucked the McGinnis hire.

Lovie was the 3rd choice after Jerry's first 2 choices both turned him down.

Trestman was retardedly chosen over much better candidate Bruce Arians because he wow'd fellow nerd Emery with his OCD planning of the Bears entire season complete with SB victory parade logistics.

And Fox was hired because they needed a conservative "safe" choice after Trestman and couldn't risk pairing their young GM with a young coach that might actually be in touch with the modern NFL...

I have literally ZERO faith in this team getting the next HC hire right. They'll fuck it up yet again, guaranteed.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The old bat certainly wouldn't sell the Bears. Some of her kids likely wouldn't, I can't say all of them wouldn't want to either. Another generation down the line though, who knows. George comes off as someone that really cares but I have never gotten the vibe from Michael that he was anything more than a money guy. I feel like that is going to become watered down to a point where the eventual owners will just see dollars instead of giving a shit about legacy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The old bat certainly wouldn't sell the Bears. Some of her kids likely wouldn't, I can't say all of them wouldn't want to either. Another generation down the line though, who knows. George comes off as someone that really cares but I have never gotten the vibe from Michael that he was anything more than a money guy. I feel like that is going to become watered down to a point where the eventual owners will just see dollars instead of giving a shit about legacy.

Trump killed the dream of the Bears being sold.

Bears fans needed a sky high estate tax to force George to sell when his mom passes.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Not sweating it really. I think under a better coach, Bears make a huge jump next year.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Not sweating it really. I think under a better coach, Bears make a huge jump next year.

Here's hoping we could possibly get close to .500 in year 4 of the perpetual rebuild. We were closer in the 1st year of the rebuild.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here's hoping we could possibly get close to .500 in year 4 of the perpetual rebuild. We were closer in the 1st year of the rebuild.

I wouldn't really call it a rebuild at this point. More like a constant barrage of change orders that is accomplishing next to nothing.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
What's funny is I've heard people say this same shit for every HC change since Ditka left... and yet every time like clockwork we end up settling for the HC leftovers out of the dumpster.

Jauron was totally clueless and only got the job because McCaskey is a Special person who totally fucked the McGinnis hire.

Trestman was retardedly chosen over much better candidate Bruce Arians because he wow'd fellow nerd Emery with his OCD planning of the Bears entire season complete with SB victory parade logistics.

And Fox was hired because they needed a conservative "safe" choice after Trestman and couldn't risk pairing their young GM with a young coach that might actually be in touch with the modern NFL...

I have literally ZERO faith in this team getting the next HC hire right. They'll fuck it up yet again, guaranteed.

It is hard to argue against the futility of finding the right coach, even if you consider Lovie a success.

I do think that other than Trubisky and History, Pace will be smart to sell the fact that they will have a great cap situation, and very likely a top 5ish draft pick.

If Pace is going to get the chance to pick his guy to be HC, that means they will be likely fired together if it fails, so they is no reason not to have the new HC involved in personnel decisions.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
If the Bears want to improve and do so quickly what they should do is build a high powered offense which they could do rather quickly. My dream scenario is the Bears to sign Trae Turner to help the Oline, draft a receiver at the top of the draft and sign high level WR FA. Then of course you bring in a better coaching staff which should go without saying.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears want to improve and do so quickly what they should do is build a high powered offense which they could do rather quickly. My dream scenario is the Bears to sign Trae Turner to help the Oline, draft a receiver at the top of the draft and sign high level WR FA. Then of course you bring in a better coaching staff which should go without saying.

Turner got a big extension.

The Panthers other OG, Norwell, is a free agent.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Trump killed the dream of the Bears being sold.

Bears fans needed a sky high estate tax to force George to sell when his mom passes.

McKenna and Ryan own 20% of the bears and they have lots of $$$. If mccaskeys ever needed to unload the team I.T would be to them

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

Dave Wannstedt was the hottest Head Coach candidate in 1993. The Bears got him because there was incredible mystique in the franchise coming off the Ditka years.

You got the rest right, though - nothing but second and third choices and losers. Coveted, my a-fifty-five . . .

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thank the Lord for Kordell Stewart. He guaranteed Jauron's exit(which was Jauron's plan). The amazing part is the Bills hired Jauron after he sucked with the Bears.