Hot Stove,Random Trade Ideas, And FA Ideas And Discussions

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to dump a starting pitcher.

Way too much money tied up in that we have other holes to fill.

My wishlist:

Quentin traded
Jackson/Floyd traded (one not both)
AJ brought back (we have no catching depth)
PK brought back (rinse & repeat above)
Linestink released (adios)
Pena/Jenks gone (good riddance to both)
Bullpen help

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
with the market for catchers pretty shitty this year, i say we try to resign him

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Options picked up on Tubby Castro & Thornton.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
We need to sign C Victor!! I want him as our catcher!! I would also like to add Carl Crawford to my wishlist we need offense!

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rafael Soriano closing games for us?

Sign me up.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rafael Soriano closing games for us?

Sign me up.

i doubt that happens as well. of course we will need some BP help this offseason but we are looking at fillers. 8th inning is set. 9th inning could be set if sale is used to close. i see a shortened career out of sale if he is a starter with his mechanics.

right now there are a lot of holes to fill.

Please sign me up for konerko back at first. quentin dealt or moved to DH.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
again lets not try to turn this into our neighbors forum with the cubs and come up with random shit. we have to be realistic when it comes to this team, even though the budget is never really set in stone.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
But what are you really going to get for Quentin, though? There are literally zero prospects to attach to that deal to bring back an MLB starter (yeah, Sale would be enticing to some teams, but he's 1) a young relief pitcher with questionable mechanics and 2) would just open up another hole to fill) that is actually worth something, and even then I doubt they would be that much better than what the Sox have come to hope to get out of Quentin. Plus, Quentin is still salary-controlled, which I think is better than trading for a guy that might eat more into your budget.

Kenny has definitely traded and signed this organization into a real bad way. There are no prospects ready to fill the void left by aged and/or overpriced veterans, and replacing those veterans isn't an option because 1) Edwin Jackson is doubling his salary, Peavy is getting a raise to be injured, Rios is getting a raise (I think) and Mark Teahen's arbitration years have been bought out for some reason, and 2) there are no prospects left that would make a deal worthwhile.

It really doesn't look good. But there might be some light at the end of the tunnel in Jared Mitchell. If he somehow (bear in mind this is a pretty big "somehow") comes back from his injury and starts raking the ball again, we could have a solution to the Quentin/DH/RF issue. Thing is, though, his ankle injury was pretty serious, and no one really knows how he will respond when he comes back to real baseball.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We need to sign C Victor!! I want him as our catcher!! I would also like to add Carl Crawford to my wishlist we need offense!

Carl Crawford is the guy. I love Paulie, but his heart I believe is set on going home. I think we have to live with Viciedo/Teahan/Morel playing our corners.

CQ becomes the DH until we can dump him (trade, release, what have you)

Crawford plays RF or CF with Rios over to RF.

I also think we need AJ as a cheap option. Any trade of a starting pitcher has to bring us a top flight catching prospect back as part of the deal

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But what are you really going to get for Quentin, though? There are literally zero prospects to attach to that deal to bring back an MLB starter (yeah, Sale would be enticing to some teams, but he's 1) a young relief pitcher with questionable mechanics and 2) would just open up another hole to fill) that is actually worth something, and even then I doubt they would be that much better than what the Sox have come to hope to get out of Quentin. Plus, Quentin is still salary-controlled, which I think is better than trading for a guy that might eat more into your budget.

Kenny has definitely traded and signed this organization into a real bad way. There are no prospects ready to fill the void left by aged and/or overpriced veterans, and replacing those veterans isn't an option because 1) Edwin Jackson is doubling his salary, Peavy is getting a raise to be injured, Rios is getting a raise (I think) and Mark Teahen's arbitration years have been bought out for some reason, and 2) there are no prospects left that would make a deal worthwhile.

It really doesn't look good. But there might be some light at the end of the tunnel in Jared Mitchell. If he somehow (bear in mind this is a pretty big "somehow") comes back from his injury and starts raking the ball again, we could have a solution to the Quentin/DH/RF issue. Thing is, though, his ankle injury was pretty serious, and no one really knows how he will respond when he comes back to real baseball.

We are kind of in a weird state with this team. Quentin like you said may not have the value to get you anything, especially prospects. Would you move quentin for a BP arm?

When you brought up mitchell, and his injury it reminds me of the peavy injury in regards to no one knowing what the hell is going to happen with him and how he is going to respond.

Im nervous about this entire team from the bottom up just not being competitive for a while.

I know kenny doesnt do the whole rebuild thing, but that may have to be the solution. If we dont bring back any of our FA's we are still at what?? 74 million. that is alot of money for a team with a ton of holes.

Now edwin jackson would be a great trade candidate if we knew what was up with peavy.

like you said on 643, the season has taken alot out of us.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
We are kind of in a weird state with this team. Quentin like you said may not have the value to get you anything, especially prospects. Would you move quentin for a BP arm?

When you brought up mitchell, and his injury it reminds me of the peavy injury in regards to no one knowing what the hell is going to happen with him and how he is going to respond.

Im nervous about this entire team from the bottom up just not being competitive for a while.

I know kenny doesnt do the whole rebuild thing, but that may have to be the solution. If we dont bring back any of our FA's we are still at what?? 74 million. that is alot of money for a team with a ton of holes.

Now edwin jackson would be a great trade candidate if we knew what was up with peavy.

like you said on 643, the season has taken alot out of us.

I don't think Quentin for a BP arm is a really great idea, either. Mainly because we get right back to the issue of who is going to play RF (Teahen? He might be a league-average RFer with the bat, but that's assuming he has a damn good offensive year and doesn't take into account his defense, which I think we have seen is just only slightly better than Quentin's), and also because I'm not a big fan of trading (or otherwise giving up value, regardless of how little value is given up) for relief pitching, as I still think solid RP's can be had for pennies on the dollar off the scrap heap, or in a pinch in the minors (capitalize even more on teams not knowing who the guys are and how to prepare for them by limiting their innings as RP's).

Also, I don't think Edwin Jackson would be much use as trade-bait. His last few years of sucking mightily is probably still on the mind of most baseball GM's (as it should be for the Sox organization and us fans) despite his success with the Sox. What's more, I don't think Kenny has the stature in the GMing ranks to pull off a quick-flip like that and not get fleeced in return (he is regarded as more of a punchline among the league's "statistically enlightened" GM's). And even then, who are you going to put in Jackson's spot in the rotation? Peavy is out until God-knows-when, I don't want to see Freddy Garcia get any more innings than he did last year (he should get a lot less, IMO, if he's on the team at all, but hey, that's the Sox org for ya), and I really don't want to see another "lightning in a bottle" acquisition; Kenny's failures in that department vastly outnumber his successes.

Really, this team is at a point where they almost have to keep everybody they can, because the options outside of those already on the squad aren't very good when you take into account budget and availability. But again, this is all assuming a roughly static budget, so really who knows. Maybe I've completely misread JR (unlikely), and he is in actuality more pissed than I am about the lackluster performance of this team since 2005, and his willing to drop $150 million on a winner. Maybe he realizes he's made enough money and he's getting close to the end of it all, so why not just say "fuck it" and move all-in and hope for the best? Somehow, though, I don't really think that's the case, especially considering his other sports franchise is almost assuredly going to be paying the luxury tax in the next 2-3 years.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Quentin for a BP arm is a really great idea, either. Mainly because we get right back to the issue of who is going to play RF (Teahen? He might be a league-average RFer with the bat, but that's assuming he has a damn good offensive year and doesn't take into account his defense, which I think we have seen is just only slightly better than Quentin's), and also because I'm not a big fan of trading (or otherwise giving up value, regardless of how little value is given up) for relief pitching, as I still think solid RP's can be had for pennies on the dollar off the scrap heap, or in a pinch in the minors (capitalize even more on teams not knowing who the guys are and how to prepare for them by limiting their innings as RP's).

Also, I don't think Edwin Jackson would be much use as trade-bait. His last few years of sucking mightily is probably still on the mind of most baseball GM's (as it should be for the Sox organization and us fans) despite his success with the Sox. What's more, I don't think Kenny has the stature in the GMing ranks to pull off a quick-flip like that and not get fleeced in return (he is regarded as more of a punchline among the league's "statistically enlightened" GM's). And even then, who are you going to put in Jackson's spot in the rotation? Peavy is out until God-knows-when, I don't want to see Freddy Garcia get any more innings than he did last year (he should get a lot less, IMO, if he's on the team at all, but hey, that's the Sox org for ya), and I really don't want to see another "lightning in a bottle" acquisition; Kenny's failures in that department vastly outnumber his successes.

Really, this team is at a point where they almost have to keep everybody they can, because the options outside of those already on the squad aren't very good when you take into account budget and availability. But again, this is all assuming a roughly static budget, so really who knows. Maybe I've completely misread JR (unlikely), and he is in actuality more pissed than I am about the lackluster performance of this team since 2005, and his willing to drop $150 million on a winner. Maybe he realizes he's made enough money and he's getting close to the end of it all, so why not just say "fuck it" and move all-in and hope for the best? Somehow, though, I don't really think that's the case, especially considering his other sports franchise is almost assuredly going to be paying the luxury tax in the next 2-3 years.

yeah you are right about the bp. It seems like there are just a few guys in baseball who are lights out and the rest is year by year anything can happen with any given bullpen. the biggest surprise bullpen imo was the 2005 sox. I dont know how one can have 3 closers,and than politte,cotts, and vizcaino. So I guess it is just a roll of the dice.

edwin jackson- yes he has been more on the bad side of his career than good, but the way he performed at times for us may have some teams interested just because pitching is scarce, but even if there is a taker i think you still have to wait on peavys shit first. on a side note im not sure if it was you that said this or not, but i agree.....sales mechanics/violent delivery serves him best as the closer or setup man, i do not want to see him start.

your last paragraph is interesting, and you mentioned it on 643 that none of us know really what the "real" budget is of the sox. during the summer it seems as though that changes on a daily basis, and it really gets confusing during the hot stove period. im sure like how you mentioned, at some point JR might go all in, it may not be anytime soon because he is healthy and seems ok, but if something bad were to happen to his health i can see him doing it.

I just want to see good baseball, and I just dont see it happening without spending more money which probably wont happen, but fuck you never know with them.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carl Crawford is the guy. I love Paulie, but his heart I believe is set on going home. I think we have to live with Viciedo/Teahan/Morel playing our corners.

CQ becomes the DH until we can dump him (trade, release, what have you)

Crawford plays RF or CF with Rios over to RF.

I also think we need AJ as a cheap option. Any trade of a starting pitcher has to bring us a top flight catching prospect back as part of the deal

1) carl crawford is going to be over priced

2) I dont want anymore speed guys on this team, meaning, it gives ozzie another guy to run and get caught stealing and lose more games again because he obviously isn going to change his approach unless he has no choice by having jr come down on him instead of kw.

3) i prefer rios in CF over Crawford

4) aj is the only descent catcher available besides the impossible guy to get in vmart.

5) why would you trade a SP without knowing what will happen with peavy? say you trade edwin jackson and peavy cant play. you are looking at buehrle,danks,floyd, (blank), (blank).......and i would guess one of those would force sale into the rotation which i am totally against.