Weak 12: Eagles 31, Bears 3 - the shoopster breaks it down . . .

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. This assumption is everywhere on this board, but the minute someone questions the performance and progress, they're jumped all over like in Calabis' posts here. Apparently crowning him as a franchise QB/leader for the next 10 years/the next Wentz etc is perfectly ok, but any voicing of concern whatsoever is out of bounds.

It's hard for some to face, but The Frisky One isn't progressing well enough to yet justify the #2 pick the Bears spent on him. Thus is the shoopster turning up the heat on The Frisky One.

This is salvageable, but the Bears need to step in to help Trubisky work on his poor pocket presence and inconsistent mechanics. He is developing some very bad habits . . .

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. This assumption is everywhere on this board, but the minute someone questions the performance and progress, they're jumped all over like in Calabis' posts here. Apparently crowning him as a franchise QB/leader for the next 10 years/the next Wentz etc is perfectly ok, but any voicing of concern whatsoever is out of bounds.

Lmao...its called having patience.....Im pretty sure u were on Daks cheeleading squad last season....yeah he looks awesome without throwing on 2nd 4 and 3rd and 3 all the time. Mfer looks worse than Mitch. Its actually surprising coming from u, because I normally like ur opinon on football.

Jumped all over? Why because I think its idiotic to form an opinion after 178 throws?....Hell u guys should be GMs if thats all it takes for you to form an opinon. Also Jared Goff says hello. Oh wait, he may become HOF..cant compare him

Its comical how u guys act like comparing him to what we know "now" are HOF QBs is so wrong and idiotic....yet when I post their numbers after about the same attempts they are similar.

Hey Calabis...u cant fucking compare him to Brees or Manning whats wrong with you....

Oh my fault...I didnt know after 178 throws the GMs and fans were like...Manning will be the best QB ever! Brees is awesome thank good the Chargers picked him....oh wait why did they draft Rivers and trade him....hmmm.

From article

Of course, Manning would turn into a legend, one of the best quarterbacks of all time, but until Week 12 of his rookie season, he wasn't much better than, say, Brandon Weeden as a rookie.

Peyton Manning, Quarterback

Peyton Manning recently broke the NFL record for career touchdown passes, and he is one of the best quarterbacks of all time. But after being drafted first overall by the Indianapolis Colts, he had a rookie season that was less than stellar. He threw for 3,739 yards, but he completed only 56.7 percent of his passes (he's never completed less than 62.1 percent since). He also threw a whopping 28 interceptions and had a QB rating of 71.2. To put that in perspective, current Minnesota Vikings rookie QB Teddy Bridgewater has a QB rating of 71.3.

The Colts went 3-13 that first season, and Manning's future looked murky. But he learned from his mistakes, cutting his interceptions to 15 the next season and making the Pro Bowl. The rest is history. Manning is now considered by many to be the greatest QB of all time, having won five AP NFL MVP awards

Teddy fucking Bridgewater

So will he become Manning...Nope, I doubt it...but can he become good...LIKE BIG BEN good....yup he can. Time will tell.

Last edited:

billwade

Liked Posts:
You expect a rookie QB to make mistakes, that isn't the issue. Not everyone can be DeShaun Watson. Still, it's fair to expect to see flashes of the talent that makes the player special. With trubisky, jaw dropping plays have been few and far between. Accuracy issues are particularly troubling, and he's really not seeing the field well right now. For some, the light switch turns on; for many others, it never does.

Sometime around the middle of next season, he needs to start showing he's catching on or the natives are going to get restless. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an offseason contingency plan at QB if Trubisky still doesn't show any improvement in the last quarter of the season.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lmao...its called having patience.....Im pretty sure u were on Daks cheeleading squad last season

No, I wasn't. I've never taken any major stance regarding Prescott at all, positive or negative.

Trubisky isn't Prescott, or Wentz, or Peyton Manning. He's just Trubisky. It's ok to acknowledge that he hasn't looked great so far, and even to express some level of concern about it, and that's not the same as saying he's a bust.

Why does everything have to be some set in stone extreme on this board? I've never said he's going to be a bust. I've said I'll give him 2-3 years before I decide on my opinion on that. In the mean time, ongoing discussion about his progress does not equate to some permanent definitive proclamation.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You expect a rookie QB to make mistakes, that isn't the issue. Not everyone can be DeShaun Watson. Still, it's fair to expect to see flashes of the talent that makes the player special. With trubisky, jaw dropping plays have been few and far between. Accuracy issues are particularly troubling, and he's really not seeing the field well right now. For some, the light switch turns on; for many others, it never does.

Sometime around the middle of next season, he needs to start showing he's catching on or the natives are going to get restless. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an offseason contingency plan at QB if Trubisky still doesn't show any improvement in the last quarter of the season.

I agree with u and good post

jc456

Liked Posts:
Who's calling trubisky a bust after 6 games? Still, he hasn't produced anything that indicates he's an NFL caliber QB so far. It's nothing more or nothing less than that. As others have pointed out, other franchise QBs showed flashes of their talent even while they were making mistakes. With Trubisky, we've seen very inaccurate throws and an inability to see the field, and exceptional plays have been very rare. I hope he improves. But acting like there's no reason for concern is delusional.

I know he is tons better than the other guy.

billwade

Liked Posts:
I know he is tons better than the other guy.

The "other guy" was a sophomoric mistake by Pace that really makes one question his suitability for the job. There were several other stop-gap Qbs available with a much lower price tag and some track record of success, and he could have had any one of them for half the money.

But that horse has been kicked enough. the question becomes: what do the Bears do in the off season if Trubisky still hasn't progressed significantly by the end of the season? Certainly, there's no way they can keep Glennon. So it comes down to throwing all in and praying Trubisky "gets it" next season, or signing a different FA journeyman or drafting another QB, probably in the 3-5th round.

The 2018 class didn't perform as well as expected, so one of these high-profile Qbs might be available in a middle round. Signing a FA QB would be a lot trickier because the fan base would start demanding that guy play if Trubisky is still struggling by game 4.

jc456

Liked Posts:
The "other guy" was a sophomoric mistake by Pace that really makes one question his suitability for the job. There were several other stop-gap Qbs available with a much lower price tag and some track record of success, and he could have had any one of them for half the money.

But that horse has been kicked enough. the question becomes: what do the Bears do in the off season if Trubisky still hasn't progressed significantly by the end of the season? Certainly, there's no way they can keep Glennon. So it comes down to throwing all in and praying Trubisky "gets it" next season, or signing a different FA journeyman or drafting another QB, probably in the 3-5th round.

The 2018 class didn't perform as well as expected, so one of these high-profile Qbs might be available in a middle round. Signing a FA QB would be a lot trickier because the fan base would start demanding that guy play if Trubisky is still struggling by game 4.

well i'd love to see more of what I saw against Detroit. for some reason yesterday they reverted back to treating him like a rookie again. Against perhaps the best defense. Can't follow that one at all. I especially like the end around where Howard pitches it back for a fifteen yard loss to Cohen. I mean. what the fk were they watching.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

Indeed, 'mickster. Things go both ways. It was the shoopster who first turned up the heat on The Frisky One yesterday, right here in this thread in his nonpareil breakdown of yesterday's disaster in Philly. But that doesn't mean the shoopster thinks The Frisky One has fallen in line as one of Ryan Pace's many bustouts. It's just that it's time for Trunisky to step it up and show a bit more.

The poor mechanics must be fixed. The happy feet in the pocket need to be grounded. The passes need to start winding up in the general receivers they're intended for. And, maybe once or twice a game at least, he needs to dazzle and show something above and beyond the competence of an NFL game manager.

If Bear fans can't take the heat, the shoopster's at least hoping The Frisky One can. Yesterday, he looked like he didn't know if he wants to . . .

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone who believes Trub hasn’t progressed or isn’t completely hampered by the coaching and position issues on this team is a fucking moron and needs to stop posting.
Dude, if you saw progression in that last game, you're beyond Special person. Now, feel free to break out all those Cutler excuses.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Anyone who compares the Cutler (a veteran in his 4th season when the Bears traded for him coming off a Pro Bowl alternate season) and Trubisky (a raw rookie who has started 6 games) situations as equivalent in regards to performance expectations and says that anyone calling for patience is making excuses is a complete fucktard.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Trubisky took a step forward in throwing the ball at the feet of a receiver rather than taking a sack. But overall he took risks trying to catch up to the big lead Philly had on the Bears and his throws were even more wild than normal.

But to be fair the run game got shut down hard and fast.
And the play calling somehow... some way was even worse than ever before. High school level.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Bears have the worst receiving corps in the league

Howard failed to generate 10 yards rushing.

Was playing the best team in the NFL and fell behind really early.

But let's bust rookie Trubisky's balls for how he played.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears have the worst receiving corps in the league

Howard failed to generate 10 yards rushing.

Was playing the best team in the NFL and fell behind really early.

But let's bust rookie Trubisky's balls for how he played.

LOL at this. Now I’m not one to defend the Shoopiter, but dude pretty much blamed everyone in his OP, he didn’t just single out Trubisky. And I’ve defended Trubisky as much as anybody on here, but he played like garbage on Sunday. No big deal, everybody has a bad day. But there’s no point in denying it.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
LOL at this. Now I’m not one to defend the Shoopiter, but dude pretty much blamed everyone in his OP, he didn’t just single out Trubisky. And I’ve defended Trubisky as much as anybody on here, but he played like garbage on Sunday. No big deal, everybody has a bad day. But there’s no point in denying it.

Wasn't responding to the shoopster specifically.

This game shouldn't even be on his record. You literally couldn't put him in a worse position.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What I don't understand is why so many posters are seeing comments like ....

"Of course he's a rookie and needs time, but there are some concerns thus far about his mechanics and pocket presence"

and reading them as if they said ....

"Omg, he's a bust. Fuck Pace for this pick. What a waste. He can't play".

Why is that happening so much?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I used to be like that when I was a younger bears fan. Usually takes until your mid 30s to see things clearly without bear goggles.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I don't understand is why so many posters are seeing comments like ....

"Of course he's a rookie and needs time, but there are some concerns thus far about his mechanics and pocket presence"

and reading them as if they said ....

"Omg, he's a bust. Fuck Pace for this pick. What a waste. He can't play".

Why is that happening so much?

This truth is a tough one, 'mickster. There is desperate hope tied up in The Frisky One, and the fact that he hasn't proven a slam dunk - like #2 QBs more often than not are - is a difficult pill to swallow. The uncertainty plunges Bear fans back into pessimism they're trying desperately to avoid.

But the facts cannot be denied. Trubisky must start to show improvement, as his progress appears to have stalled: he isn't getting any better in the pocket, his continues to struggle with his reads and his inaccuracy can no longer be written off as rookie jitters. Thus is the shoopster turning up the heat on him. Bear loyalists may not like it. But it's time.

Feel free to join me.