Ryan Pace isn't going anywhere, at least not this season.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-expansion-project-halas-hall-pictures-behind-scenes-look/

That article is the reason why, or rather what it's about.

The Halas Hall Expansion Project is 100% Ryan Pace's baby.

You don't make that kind of investment without commitment to the person heading the project.

I will go a step further. I would not be surprised if at the end of the season, in addition to John Fox being fired, it is announced that Ted Phillips will relinquish all duties relating to the football operations of the team to Ryan Pace. He would remain on as team president but effectively would be like the Cubs Crain Kenney when Theo took over.

Not a prediction, mind you, but something I think might be in the air and could happen.

Ryan Pace either way is going to hire the next head coach. It'll be an offensive mind.

And for everyone bitching, I'm going to stick my neck out on this one:

Next year, the Bears make the playoffs.

In two years, they will win playoff games.

I haven't seen enough to go beyond that, but the last time things looked this bad for the Bears, and I made a prediction like this, was 2004 when I said the Bears would be in a Superbowl in 2 years.

I got shredded then just like I expect to be shredded now for stepping out. But I am seeing a lot that can be improved simply by better coaching and for the first time in a long time I am seeing raw material that could really excel with the right coaches.

It's not Kool-Aid. I am the same guy who during the dick jauron 13 and 3 season said it was all smoke and mirrors. I predicted at the beginning of the season that the Bears would have a record somewhere between 5 and 11 & 7 and 9; not exactly what a Kool-Aid Drinker who thinks Super Bears Super Bowl every year would say.

What it is going to come down to is who they get as the head coach. At this point I really couldn't give a rat's ass if they get someone who I've heard of or not.

Coaches come from all over the place. Sometimes college, sometimes the pros, sometimes a new Innovative mind shakes up the NFL coming from college and guys who have been around the NFL for a while are just crappy coaches in the good old boys network.

Other times, the hot coordinator ends up being an awesome coach, and still other times they fail.

Finding the next coach from a fan perspective is a crapshoot. We can only evaluate coaches when they're actually doing the job in the head coaching position. Otherwise we are all just throwing spaghetti at a wall and hoping something sticks. We get hung up on names and think that it will solve everything.

Think about Adam Gase. Head coaching candidate who gets one good year out of Cutler with the Bears. Gets the job down in Miami and lures Cutler out of retirement to bring the band back together.

How does Adam Gase look now with the shitshow that is down in Miami and Cutler reverting back to Cutler?

Yet after that one good Cutler season with the Bears, everyone here wanted him to replace Fox. Some even wanted him before instead of Fox.

The point is none of us really know until they start doing the job. The NFL is littered with guys who are awesome coordinators but couldn't be a head coach to save their life.

So I am not going to freak my shit out regardless of who Ryan Pace picks be it an established coach, some coordinator or quarterbacks coach in the league, or some college coach somewhere.

Sure, I have a preference. I would prefer they get the Eagles quarterbacks coach. But I'm not going to lose my shit if Pace doesn't pick him.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
It sounds like John DeFilippo has overtaken Matt Nagy as the Chiefs continue to fall off the cliff. I'm happy enough for Pace to continue and don't really want to repeat what I said yesterday ad nauseam.

I think Pace is a steady accumulator of talent through the draft but is likely not going to be able to consistently add pro talent. So it's even more critical that he gets the coaching hire right. I have everything crossed.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Pace isn't going anywhere

Hammer

Liked Posts:
He'll get another shot to hire adequate coaching staff, and prove that Bears led by Trubs as franchise QB can be a success.

I would only give him 2018 for that, so if Trubs doesn't show significant improvement (for example what we have seen from Goff and Wentz this season), and Bears don't have positive record, he'd be gone after next season.

But unfortunately I'm afraid that Bears inept owners and upper management will also keep him for 2019, no matter the 2018 success or lack of it (similar like they kept Fox this season, a year too long).

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
He'll get another shot to hire adequate coaching staff, and prove that Bears led by Trubs as franchise QB can be a success.

I would only give him 2018 for that, so if Trubs doesn't show significant improvement (for example what we have seen from Goff and Wentz this season), and Bears don't have positive record, he'd be gone after next season.

But unfortunately I'm afraid that Bears inept owners and upper management will also keep him for 2019, no matter the 2018 success or lack of it (similar like they kept Fox this season, a year too long).

So if Trubisky doesn't play at an MVP level (Wentz) then you are going to AGAIN churn the FO despite the fact the GM has likely put together the best back-to-back drafts in the last 15 years? Makes perfect sense....

Visionman

Liked Posts:

If Pace gets to hire a new HC and staff, he (and they) will have at minimum another 2-3 years to see if they can turn it around. Coaching contracts are almost always guaranteed. There's no way any owner is going to fork over 20-25 MILLION (or more) for a one year experiment. And that doesn't even include the coordinators and the rest of the staff!

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Never thought he should be fired. Pace's plan is a long term plan and Ted phillips deserve more of the blame I think for the John Fox hiring than Pace.

While we cannot make a full judgement as of yet, it looks like Pace has a knack for drafting which is huge for building a foundation for this team. His free agency has been lackluster but he hasn't put us in a whole with a bunch of bad contracts either.

Pace deserves another coaching hire. If he can get the right coach, I think you will see the talent that he has stockpiled be utilised properly.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
It sounds like John DeFilippo has overtaken Matt Nagy as the Chiefs continue to fall off the cliff. I'm happy enough for Pace to continue and don't really want to repeat what I said yesterday ad nauseam.

I think Pace is a steady accumulator of talent through the draft but is likely not going to be able to consistently add pro talent. So it's even more critical that he gets the coaching hire right. I have everything crossed.

If Pat Mahomes comes in and lights it up Watson style, you better believe Nagy will be on the list. Offense being held back by Smith and play calling (Reid).

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are only, what, six players left on the roster from the Emery days? This is Pace's team. He should get to hire his own coach and get some time for Trubisky's development, but if there isn't a much steeper upswing in the progress and they're not a serious playoff team/contender by 2019, then they should go in another direction. Five years is enough time to turn around an NFL team.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bears-expansion-project-halas-hall-pictures-behind-scenes-look/

That article is the reason why, or rather what it's about.

The Halas Hall Expansion Project is 100% Ryan Pace's baby.

You don't make that kind of investment without commitment to the person heading the project.

I will go a step further. I would not be surprised if at the end of the season, in addition to John Fox being fired, it is announced that Ted Phillips will relinquish all duties relating to the football operations of the team to Ryan Pace. He would remain on as team president but effectively would be like the Cubs Crain Kenney when Theo took over.

Not a prediction, mind you, but something I think might be in the air and could happen.

Ryan Pace either way is going to hire the next head coach. It'll be an offensive mind.

And for everyone bitching, I'm going to stick my neck out on this one:

Next year, the Bears make the playoffs.

In two years, they will win playoff games.

I haven't seen enough to go beyond that, but the last time things looked this bad for the Bears, and I made a prediction like this, was 2004 when I said the Bears would be in a Superbowl in 2 years.

I got shredded then just like I expect to be shredded now for stepping out. But I am seeing a lot that can be improved simply by better coaching and for the first time in a long time I am seeing raw material that could really excel with the right coaches.

It's not Kool-Aid. I am the same guy who during the dick jauron 13 and 3 season said it was all smoke and mirrors. I predicted at the beginning of the season that the Bears would have a record somewhere between 5 and 11 & 7 and 9; not exactly what a Kool-Aid Drinker who thinks Super Bears Super Bowl every year would say.

What it is going to come down to is who they get as the head coach. At this point I really couldn't give a rat's ass if they get someone who I've heard of or not.

Coaches come from all over the place. Sometimes college, sometimes the pros, sometimes a new Innovative mind shakes up the NFL coming from college and guys who have been around the NFL for a while are just crappy coaches in the good old boys network.

Other times, the hot coordinator ends up being an awesome coach, and still other times they fail.

Finding the next coach from a fan perspective is a crapshoot. We can only evaluate coaches when they're actually doing the job in the head coaching position. Otherwise we are all just throwing spaghetti at a wall and hoping something sticks. We get hung up on names and think that it will solve everything.

Think about Adam Gase. Head coaching candidate who gets one good year out of Cutler with the Bears. Gets the job down in Miami and lures Cutler out of retirement to bring the band back together.

How does Adam Gase look now with the shitshow that is down in Miami and Cutler reverting back to Cutler?

Yet after that one good Cutler season with the Bears, everyone here wanted him to replace Fox. Some even wanted him before instead of Fox.

The point is none of us really know until they start doing the job. The NFL is littered with guys who are awesome coordinators but couldn't be a head coach to save their life.

So I am not going to freak my shit out regardless of who Ryan Pace picks be it an established coach, some coordinator or quarterbacks coach in the league, or some college coach somewhere.

Sure, I have a preference. I would prefer they get the Eagles quarterbacks coach. But I'm not going to lose my shit if Pace doesn't pick him.

It's about the players more than it's about who the coaches are. If you don't have a QB that can play in the NFL and he doesn't have some weapons to throw and hand off to then it won't matter who the HC is. Wentz is great because he has what it takes to be a NFL QB and having a good offensive mind like D.Peterson of course helps but it starts with the players. So R.Pace needs to get Trubisky the weapons he needs to be successful and get us a new HC and OC and if Fangio doesn't wanna stick around then a new DC as well and whatever coaches come with them but if we don't have the players for those coaches to coach then it won't matter who the coaches are.

I agree that this team could make a quick turn around if we get Trubs the weapons and some good coaches. I don't think this team is as far away from being a playoff team as their record says they are.

Washington

Liked Posts:
There are only, what, six players left on the roster from the Emery days? This is Pace's team. He should get to hire his own coach and get some time for Trubisky's development, but if there isn't a much steeper upswing in the progress and they're not a serious playoff team/contender by 2019, then they should go in another direction. Five years is enough time to turn around an NFL team.

I agree, but the current Pace is north of 5 years. Pace's clock should be ticking at Halas Hall now. It should not reset with the coaching change. He can learn a thing or 100 from Philly's rebuild.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I agree, but the current Pace is north of 5 years. Pace's clock should be ticking at Halas Hall now. It should not reset with the coaching change. He can learn a thing or 100 from Philly's rebuild.
There's no reset about it. Pace will be tied to whichever coach he picks here. Both will likely get at least 3 years.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
The Offense that Pace has let go is better than the offense we have right now.

The Marshall - Bennett - Forte - Cutler -Jeffery would destroy the Bears O of 2017. And yes, with just those four players.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The Bears should have made the hire of an offensive guy in 2017 after drafting Mitch to give the team enough data to evaluate Pace after the 2018 season. As it stands, Pace likely needs to win at least seven or eight games, beat the Packers at least once, and be a respectable team and that's a hell of a jump in one year for a team with a new coach and system.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Marshall - Bennett - Forte - Cutler -Jeffery would destroy the Bears O of 2017. And yes, with just those four players.

And Jeffrey is the only guy under 30, and consequently, the only guy Pace wanted to keep on the roster.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
And Jeffrey is the only guy under 30, and consequently, the only guy Pace wanted to keep on the roster.

When you draft younger guys someone should tell Ryan Pace that the idea is to get better ones. It's never smart to downgrade, it's not a winning strategy in football.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
The Offense that Pace has let go is better than the offense we have right now.

That's five players.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk