HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Holy shit that cartoon was hilarious. That takes me back to the bang cartoons from when Cutler arrived in Chicago.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Holy shit that cartoon was hilarious. That takes me back to the bang cartoons from when Cutler arrived in Chicago.

BangBros? BangBus?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I understand the attempt at humor but for the love of god the name of the cartoons IS bang cartoons.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Kinda funny. But the rule really isn't that hard to understand. Well...maybe for the people at bleacher report it is, but they don't count.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kinda funny. But the rule really isn't that hard to understand. Well...maybe for the people at bleacher report it is, but they don't count.

So you thought the injury grab was not a catch. If your answer is that you thought it was a catch, you're contradicting yourself.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The rule is easy to understand...doesn't mean I agree 100% with it. The way it's called is simple: if contact is made with the receiver in the process of making the catch, the offensive player MUST maintain possession all the way to the ground. Unfortunately, they don't give officials the ability to use judgement with that call. One of the few rules that still favors the defense...

NFCnB

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like the rule, because it confuses a lot of limited people that have a hard time understand ding a simple concept. I knew Miller injury TD wasn't a catch, when I saw it live - yet 95% of fans tend to be shocked by it after seeing it a 100 times in slow motion. You can only do so much to help the dumb.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Thanks, now I'm mad again about it...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The rule is easy to understand...doesn't mean I agree 100% with it. The way it's called is simple: if contact is made with the receiver in the process of making the catch, the offensive player MUST maintain possession all the way to the ground. Unfortunately, they don't give officials the ability to use judgement with that call. One of the few rules that still favors the defense...

If it's so easy, they wouldn't get it wrong or at least what you feel is wrong. I would think that self evident.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:

Except that's only a tiny piece of the actual rule. Add in things like "football move" and having no established amount of time that constitutes a player having caught the ball, and then changing to a runner...the rule, as it currently is, is basically different depending on the ref on the field.

Plenty of times this year, two games have a near identical play, with opposite outcomes.

Personally, I don't care what they decide, I just want consistency. I don't care if they decide that you have to take 7 steps, do a pirouette and then hop on one foot. As long as whatever they do can be consistently applied by all refs, and they all come up with the same result, I'm fine with it. That's not how it is now, and that's the maddening part of it.

In addition, the supposed emphasis on not changing a ruling unless the replay shows clear and unmistakably that the call was wrong is also not applied. Instead, it seems to be pretty much whatever they feel like in the moment.

As a fan, it's frustrating. I'm sure players and coaches would use much more colorful words.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
These are pretty funny. They put one out every Tuesday. It's about the only thing worth a damn that comes out of bleacher report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don't like the rule, because it confuses a lot of limited people that have a hard time understand ding a simple concept. I knew Miller injury TD wasn't a catch, when I saw it live - yet 95% of fans tend to be shocked by it after seeing it a 100 times in slow motion. You can only do so much to help the dumb.

It doesn't matter what you "knew", the ruling on the field was a catch. That takes actual evidence to overrule, not pointing to the guy's head and claiming the ball hit the ground while the ball was hidden by the defender.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:

So you wanted it to not be a catch, gotcha.

NFCnB

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you wanted it to not be a catch, gotcha.

of course I wanted it to be a catch but I knew that the ball hit the ground and he didn't have the full control of it, at that very moment. I don't understand what is so confusing about it. I suppose if you had to nitpick, you would assume there was no actual visual evidence of ball hitting the ground. Either way, refs made the wrong call when they called it a catch and then overturned it to make it right.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I have seen games where there were no catches and games that were clearly bobbling as they were hitting the ground. They are even calling it if the player is in bounds, bobbling the ball on his back and the ball never touches the ground. That insane catch that AB made before the GW field goal, was a great catch, but the ball was moving and he was laying out of bounds, probably 5 feet out of bounds. To me that is a no catch, if they are bobbling the ball laying on their back and the ball never touches the ground, it should always be a catch. Worst part is the prick head coaches are making it worse by challenging these catches.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
COme on guys. The rule is different for different types of situations. Read the rule book before complaining, at least!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
COme on guys. The rule is different for different types of situations. Read the rule book before complaining, at least!

It seems to me that in their zeal to clear up things, the NFL instead made things more confusing. How in the hell is a "catch" defined more than one way depending on where the receiver is physically? The whole thing is idiotic.

Another thing that is idiotic is the entire notion of defensive holding. For example why does the distance from the line of scrimmage have to do with anything? Seems to me that if a guy is held at the line of scrimmage or ten yards down field? And that is just for starters. Then there is the stupidity of the "holding" penalties assessed and the "block in the back" penalties on punts and kick-offs. I watched Collingsworth last Thursday even opine that they ought to eliminate kick-offs entirely because there is always some zebra calling a penalty for holding or block in the back.

I think that the NFL is really being ruined by asinine rule changes and their enforcement. Way too many penalties. Way too subjective in nature. Making the game really tough to watch. It is boring and unnecessary. Didn't have to be like this. They did it to themselves once again:(

bufordht

Liked Posts:

So Pereira and Blandino saying not only was it a catch but had it been ruled no catch they would've overturned it, they're dumb and don't know the rules as good as you?

“We look at this play — Dean Blandino, who was making these decisions last year, he’s now with us — he and I were breaking down the play yesterday in LA and we concluded that had they ruled that incomplete that we would’ve reversed that to a touchdown,” Pereira said on the Spiegel and Parkins Show on Tuesday.