OT: College Players entering NBA

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems the lengthening of people going to college is going to happen. Do people agree with this? IF so, how long do you think they should play in college?

I think they should play 2 years in college. I think that allows the NBA to evaluate the talent better. It would help college basketball with more stars staying.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd say 3 years, honestly.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I would like to see a variation on the MLB system. Players could go straight to the NBA out of high school but if they enroll in college they are ineligible for the NBA for 2 years (as opposed to 3 for MLB).

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If you are old enough to die in war, you are old enough to play in the NBA. The league has had high schoolers in the past with mixed success. Just like 19, 20, 21 year old rookies. There is no reason to believe teams don't learn from mistakes and draw the same conclusions and concerns. To me, this is a move by the university lobby to create more revenue. Make NCAA great again, type people.

Roll back the 2005 CBA changes on eligibility. But Silver is a crook, I don't expect him to do it.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would like to see a variation on the MLB system. Players could go straight to the NBA out of high school but if they enroll in college they are ineligible for the NBA for 2 years (as opposed to 3 for MLB).

I like this idea. Straight outta high school or stay for 2.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I like this idea. Straight outta high school or stay for 2.

I think one and done hurts the college game more than the nba. Just let players be draft eligible after high school. Either make them stay 4 years and get a degree or dont force them to come at all.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Seattle Mariners
  1. Los Angeles FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. St. Louis Blues
  1. Kentucky Wildcats
They should play two to three years. Not just one year. Get experience and character development.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definitely not one and done. I agree with letting them jump right out of high school or making them stay in college longer.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is what I'd aim for.

Though eventually I'd make it so they'd have to report to the G League first if they don't go to college. Teams could call them up after a certain point in the season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the baseball rule regarding high school athletes. If a major league team wants to draft a kid out of high school they can but if the kid doesn't want to accept the offer he cannot be signed until what would be his junior year in college. Personally, I do not think basketball players should be signed out of high school because they are not nearly developed enough to play on a professional level. Hell, very few 1st year college players can play with the pros. I think that right now, college basketball is pretty much a joke when you look at it. These kids coming in do not even go to class most of the time. It is a joke over-all.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is what I'd aim for.

Though eventually I'd make it so they'd have to report to the G League first if they don't go to college. Teams could call them up after a certain point in the season.

Yea, I think this isn't a bad idea. Players that make the jump from HS to the NBA aren't necessarily fully contributing right away and need to adjust to the much higher level of play. G league would provide a nice bridge. I would still allow the players that jump from HS to the NBA to participate in summer league, and maybe even the preseason.