Mlb transactions

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The Marlins are acting like they have a bunch of old veterans and need a rebuild. To me it looked like they only needed some pitching. Could have signed a new #1 with Straily and Urena as #2 and #3. Starlin Castro is still good and is coming off of his 4th all star appearance but they still gave away Stanton, Ozuna and Gordon.

Last season:

Stanton 27 years old and MVP (traded)
Ozuna 27 years old and 2016 and 2017 all star (traded)
Gordon 29 years old and a former all star and one of the better lead off hitters (traded)
Realmuto 26 years old and one of the better hitting catchers
Yelich 26 years old is solid and a potential all star
Bour 29 yeas old and competed in the home run derby

I don't think a team like that needs a rebuild.
What their rebuilding is the payroll...
They can care less about who on the field right now.

They paid a billion dollars for the team, im sure their only concern right now is how to stay above the red line the first few years til they start getting their money back...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The Marlins are acting like they have a bunch of old veterans and need a rebuild. To me it looked like they only needed some pitching. Could have signed a new #1 with Straily and Urena as #2 and #3. Starlin Castro is still good and is coming off of his 4th all star appearance but they still gave away Stanton, Ozuna and Gordon.

Last season:

Stanton 27 years old and MVP (traded)
Ozuna 27 years old and 2016 and 2017 all star (traded)
Gordon 29 years old and a former all star and one of the better lead off hitters (traded)
Realmuto 26 years old and one of the better hitting catchers
Yelich 26 years old is solid and a potential all star
Bour 29 yeas old and competed in the home run derby

I don't think a team like that needs a rebuild.

I agree, but neither the former ownership nor the current owners could afford that pitching and for the latter I place blame squarely on MLB. Their break even point in terms of payroll, according to reports, is about $95 mil but sometimes you invest in your team and try to increase attendance by winning. Their attendance in 2017 was 1.5 million which was only better than Tampa Bay who play in a shithole of a stadium compared to the Marlins swanky new digs. So what does MLB do? They sell a team to an ownership group that paid $279 million more for the club than it was worth according to Forbes (some estimates have the overpay much higher at closer to $400 mil) and are highly leveraged on top of that. All this because baseball was jizzing itself to get Jeter back in the game. It's fucking shameful.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I agree, but neither the former ownership nor the current owners could afford that pitching and for the latter I place blame squarely on MLB. Their break even point in terms of payroll, according to reports, is about $95 mil but sometimes you invest in your team and try to increase attendance by winning. Their attendance in 2017 was 1.5 million which was only better than Tampa Bay who play in a shithole of a stadium compared to the Marlins swanky new digs. So what does MLB do? They sell a team to an ownership group that paid $279 million more for the club than it was worth according to Forbes (some estimates have the overpay much higher at closer to $400 mil) and are highly leveraged on top of that. All this because baseball was jizzing itself to get Jeter back in the game. It's fucking shameful.

Thanks. I didn't realize that about their money.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dear lord man, if you think Ozuna is a better player than Bryant or Rizzo you're certifiably insane.

Just for starters Bryant has compiled 21.6 WAR in 3 seasons and to Ozuna's 14.2 in 5. Ozuna has a had 1 year over 4 WAR, Bryant has had 3 over 6. Ozuna has posted 3 years of a wRC+ over 130, Ozuna did it once in 2017. You're statement is ludicrous on it's face.

But he has a such a "loopy swing"......

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
Bumping an old thread, seeing as how the FAs are finally starting to sign. The high end is starting to come into the fold, which is opening up the clubs' planning on how they can deploy their remaining free agent-tagged dollars among the lesser FAs.

So -- now that Hosmer and Martinez are signed, along with several other lesser lights and lower-level pitchers, things start focusing again onto the remaining high-end pitchers. Most (but not all) of whom are Boras clients.

I figure between Arrieta, Lynn and Cobb, one of them will end up with the Brewers, one with the Cardinals, and one with another team, possibly the Twins. But could be the Nats or the Phillies, too. Just depends on which of these guys decide to hold out for ridiculous-years-contracts (i.e., the Boras clients) and which ones settle for five- and six-year deals. And which ones settle for one-year deals so they can go and try the FA market again next year.

I have to say, I'd rather see Arrieta safely in the American League, not on another NL Central team...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tim Lincium got a major league offer. He got his fastball back into the low 90’s with a good curveball but lacks a quality strike out pitch now. So he should end up a back of the rotation pitcher for a non contender.

I was pretty sure that a team would finally sign one of the 3. Jake could go unsigned. No one will pay ace cash for a MOR. Lynn and Cobb are both wanting Homer Bailey cash when their value is closer to what the crew paid for Matt Garza.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Darvish, Lester, Arrieta, Quintana, Hendricks

Finally hendricks deserving the 5 spot.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Darvish, Lester, Arrieta, Quintana, Hendricks

Finally hendricks deserving the 5 spot.

Not going to happen. Re-signing Arrieta, even on a one-year deal, would put the Cubs over the luxury tax threshold and preclude them from going after anyone in next year's banner FA market.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Plus the team has Chatwood.

Hendricks a 5...LOL

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not going to happen. Re-signing Arrieta, even on a one-year deal, would put the Cubs over the luxury tax threshold and preclude them from going after anyone in next year's banner FA market.

THEY ARE OVER NOW. THEY NEED TO HAVE 13 MILLION CLEAR FOR THE CURRENT TEAM BONUS MONEY. The figure they need to stay under is tax threshold minus 13 million, that is all the teams.

You are already saying they will get nobody next year anyway, because they wont be able to sign anyone. Bryant should be up to at least 15 million, javy and contrares in arbitration, why are people so stuck on this? Each jersey you buy goes towards paying the tax.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That was what I was waiting for from a reaction, exact same thing I have said for 3 years, but with that staff, he actually is

Someone has to be, but he's better than Lester and Jake already.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
THEY ARE OVER NOW. THEY NEED TO HAVE 13 MILLION CLEAR FOR THE CURRENT TEAM BONUS MONEY. The figure they need to stay under is tax threshold minus 13 million, that is all the teams.

You are already saying they will get nobody next year anyway, because they wont be able to sign anyone. Bryant should be up to at least 15 million, javy and contrares in arbitration, why are people so stuck on this? Each jersey you buy goes towards paying the tax.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that, between the three of us, Theo Epstein has the best understanding of the Cubs' financial situation and how it affects his potential opportunities in next year's FA market.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

If all bonus’ kicks in: $184,077,381 So if it happens then the 13 mil pushes them to 197,077,381. Or 77 thousand over.

And if all players perform to the point that they do hit the tax then sure Tom Ricketts would be pleased to pay tax on 77k. Vs paying tax on 25 mil on top of it for a unneeded player that they already invested 12 mil into

Man you sure do live up to your tag.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

You literally don't know what you're talking about. The cubs even with $14 mil in benefits for players are approximately $12.3 mil under the luxury tax threshold.

Cots has this covered
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VJ9nVwD1eUJabnL9tuQuxJa1K2oM2HXyqJS8Od0pMIo/pubhtml#

The only thing that's potentially missing is if Bourjos/Gimenez make the roster on their split contract they'd be I believe about $3 mil less though I'd have to look up the exact figures. Think both were under $1.5 mil.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If all bonus’ kicks in: $184,077,381 So if it happens then the 13 mil pushes them to 197,077,381. Or 77 thousand over.

Not entirely sure that's right tbqh. That likely includes players who make nothing if they are cut prior to the start of the season. I strongly doubt theo and company would run the numbers and come up that close to being over as well. My guess is they more than likely even with figuring in the bonuses if they trigger would be just barely under.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

That's still not right though because cots already includes the $14 mil in player benefits. Adding another $13 mil on top of that as anotheridiot is suggesting makes no sense here because that's double dipping the same money. In other words the $184 mil figure is where they roughly are at. It might be slightly off given they don't include Gimenez/Bourjoes who could make the roster but on the other hand I think they figure high on pre-arb contracts. They have those estimated at $675k. Last year that same pre-arb contract was $565,500. Year prior to that it was $527k. So bumping it up over $100k seems unlikely.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Player beni’s Is 14,044,600.

Projected under minus performance $12,298,258

Performance does close the gap but honestly you would pay the tax if all players play up to kicking in the tax. It means they are looking at a title run again

Regardless, the whole notion that Jake has to be signed is over the top.

1: They don’t need him.
2: Theo offered him Yu’s deal first and he shot it down.
3: all that aside he would be battling Chatwood for the 5 anyways. WAR has him at 2.5. Projected 3.0 and that is pretty generous. Which is below the projection of the 4 ahead of him.

I don’t know about any one here but investing 12 mil into a #5 is pricy as it is. Last year Lackey was over priced as a 5 at 16 mil. But paying 25 mil for your 5 and pushing 12 mil into a pen job if frinken stupid.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well sure I agree that as presently constituted they don't really need Arrieta. I'm just saying they aren't really even close to the luxury tax. They've specifically built in enough room to have some flexibility at the trade deadline in case a need arises. In other words, they aren't over and aren't likely to go over unless an absolutely amazing opportunity arises. For example, I can see the argument that if for whatever reason harper/machado are trade deadline pieces and can be had at reasonable prices that maybe at that point you consider going a head and dipping over the luxury tax. I'm not confident that the prices will be low enough for either of those two should it come to that but that's just the sort of "what if" scenario I could see potentially happening.

More likely what you'll see is them target a reliever of some description though I'm not even entirely confident they will need to do that. If Smyly's rehab goes well he'll be a really interesting LH reliever out of no where. And guys like Alzolay and De La Cruz could potentially offer them interesting RH options. De La Cruz might be pushing things a bit but given he's already on the 40 man and given if healthy he has already shown the ability to throw 2 good pitches with control it wouldn't be shocking to see him called up late in the season.