Trubisky or Garoppolo Right Now.

Who do you like at this very early point?

• Dear Sweet Mitchell

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • Home Town Jimmy

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Me

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Kevin, he's my neighbor, good dude

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Rex

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Jay

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
When Niners add some weapons and a couple impact players, Jimmy Garoppolo will make Niners fans think guys like Montana and Young were just slightly above average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow... lmao at getting ahead of yourself. Someone should save this.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
one team is 1-10, the other is 3-8.............

scratching my head over that one.

this response has nothing to do with what I said.. did you quote the wrong person?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The one's where he wasn't named Watson.

That's the second time today you've applied something to me that I never said. Usually you're a decent poster but you turn into a cock when Trubisky is the topic. I don't care if you disagree with me about the QB play, but don't make up shit I never even said. Nobody has mentioned Watson for weeks.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No need to get pissy. Even if Mitch had already sat for several years and the Bears just put in a new system that he only had a few weeks to learn and their receivers were worse and shorter than they are now, you wouldn’t stop using those things as excuses for the rest of the year.

Good lord ur dense...how many different offenses are there in the league? Routes? According to u having 3.5 years of NFL exp is nothing. How about different terminology and verbiage....thats the hurdle he had. Running a ton of the same plays with different verbiage....Not speed of game, not being coached poorly and game plans being a joke....but have fun. Oh by the way from a actual NFL QB

Learning a new offense is just like learning a new language. If I say, 'hello, my name is Jordan,' or 'hola, me llamo Jordan,' I'm saying the exact same thing," Palmer says. "I might call it Dot Right Two Jet Holt Bronco, or I might call it Divide Right 22 Hoss 678 Hook Flat. Those are the exact same thing, just using the language of two different systems.

Another excerpt: Not entirely, but as a rule of thumb, 80% of what NFL teams do on offense (or defense, really too) is extremely straightforward to the point where every team runs the same stuff. And the list is not that long. In an appendix at the bottom, I have cataloged basically the entire set. Most notably, the whole NFL's entire run game amounts to about four or five plays: the inside zone (also known as the "tight zone"), the outside zone (also known as the "stretch play" or the "wide zone"), power, counter, and some kind of draw, particularly the lead draw. No matter what cosmetic deceptions you see when you watch an NFL game (and remember, these cosmetics are supposed to be good enough to fool the opposing coaches who have studied film all week), you're seeing the same plays over, and over, and over again. There is some admitted monotony to this. Indeed, after today, having sketched out a great deal of this 80% of the NFL's offense, there won't be much need for me to come back to what a specific NFL teams do.

billwade

Liked Posts:
They both got good QBs.. But Pace identified his guy and took him .. Lynch waited and got lucky.

Or he completely outclassed Pace by using superior strategy. Take your pick...

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How did Hundley look in his first game?

Whoops..........

Holy hell whats next Tom Savage? JG is far more talented then Hundley so dont know what u point is. Also DOWELL greater than McCarthy and Shannahan as a play caller now too

billwade

Liked Posts:
Funny how every Bears' opponent's receivers are always wide open, even teams with miserable WR corps, while ours never are.

It's just more excuses for Bears QBs. We've seen many all 22s this year where Mitch hasn't seen open receivers. Knowing when to release the ball and having your mechanics set to do it well reasonably consistently is half the battle. Mitch looks lost in the pocket a lot of the time.

Jimmy's field awareness, pocket presence and general command of the game around him is simply way more advanced than Mitch's. There's absolutely no point in arguing with anyone who doesn't acknowledge this. It's clear as day.

I'm backing this up. i get the 22s, and there many times in a game where Trubisky doesn't see the open man. Most often, he fails to read the receiver who's about to come open. He's looks frantic and unsure even when he has more than enough time to throw and receivers are open. I'm looking forward to the 22s for the SF game to see if it confirms what I think I saw with trubisky.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's the second time today you've applied something to me that I never said. Usually you're a decent poster but you turn into a cock when Trubisky is the topic. I don't care if you disagree with me about the QB play, but don't make up shit I never even said. Nobody has mentioned Watson for weeks.

You spent the first half the season being Watson's personal fluffer....

You reap what you sow.

Spartan

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good lord ur dense...how many different offenses are there in the league? Routes? According to u having 3.5 years of NFL exp is nothing. How about different terminology and verbiage....thats the hurdle he had. Running a ton of the same plays with different verbiage....Not speed of game, not being coached poorly and game plans being a joke....but have fun. Oh by the way from a actual NFL QB

Learning a new offense is just like learning a new language. If I say, 'hello, my name is Jordan,' or 'hola, me llamo Jordan,' I'm saying the exact same thing," Palmer says. "I might call it Dot Right Two Jet Holt Bronco, or I might call it Divide Right 22 Hoss 678 Hook Flat. Those are the exact same thing, just using the language of two different systems.

Another excerpt: Not entirely, but as a rule of thumb, 80% of what NFL teams do on offense (or defense, really too) is extremely straightforward to the point where every team runs the same stuff. And the list is not that long. In an appendix at the bottom, I have cataloged basically the entire set. Most notably, the whole NFL's entire run game amounts to about four or five plays: the inside zone (also known as the "tight zone"), the outside zone (also known as the "stretch play" or the "wide zone"), power, counter, and some kind of draw, particularly the lead draw. No matter what cosmetic deceptions you see when you watch an NFL game (and remember, these cosmetics are supposed to be good enough to fool the opposing coaches who have studied film all week), you're seeing the same plays over, and over, and over again. There is some admitted monotony to this. Indeed, after today, having sketched out a great deal of this 80% of the NFL's offense, there won't be much need for me to come back to what a specific NFL teams do.

I don’t think much of sitting. Hands on is the way to learn. And, ok, you don’t put as much emphasis on going from system to system as others do but there is a bit of time to get acclimated with the new playbook, lingo and what not. Sure you heard the excuse of different systems and different coordinators used here throughout the Cutler years just as often as I did.

Spartan

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
are those the same excuses you are using for JG terrible TD/INT rate this year?

I don’t use excuses. He’s the better Qb by far. That was easy to see. Had 1 game for a previously 1-10 team and won it. If you want to put an int on him when it was taken right out of the hands of his receiver, go ahead if it makes you feel good. Im sure the QB who won the game doesn’t care.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You spent the first half the season being Watson's personal fluffer....

You reap what you sow.

I'm not reaping shit, I was right about Watson all along.

Either way, your arguments against what I'm saying are so baseless that you've had to flat out make up shit I didn't even say. Twice in one day. You should take that as a sign that you clearly don't have an actual point.

Last edited:

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think much of sitting. Hands on is the way to learn. And, ok, you don’t put as much emphasis on going from system to system as others do but there is a bit of time to get acclimated with the new playbook, lingo and what not. Sure you heard the excuse of different systems and different coordinators used here throughout the Cutler years just as often as I did.

So according to u sitting behind arguably the greatest QB to play is not an advantage while learning the ins and outs...or running against #1 defenses in practice, or playing in preseason, or being in film rooms and learning to break shit down and see looks. Learning speed of game, etc.

Rodgers benefitted from and thinks otherwise: Rodgers thinks that, when a rookie quarterback is drafted by a bad team, the rule should revert to being the exception.

“Some of these guys who are going to bad teams are expected to play well right away,” Rodgers tells Dan Pompei of Sports on Earth. “It’s hard to do that. I’ve seen a couple guys able to do it. [Ben] Roethlisberger was able to do it. He had a team kind of around him. [Joe] Flacco had some success early but he had a team kind of in place. You go to a place that has some pieces and you can have some success early. But if you go to a team that doesn’t have the pieces . . . it can really mess with your confidence.”

You guys act like he is surrounded by talent ala Dak and is failing...dude was served a shit sandwhich and the coaches are a joke.

Jared Goff....coach...said it feels like night and day

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hard to argue with that Jimmy Field Goal guy...I mean after 3.5 years of grooming and a super bowl ring, he really went after the jugular on a depleted defense.

Everyone knows that if you get your team in field goal position that he will probably win the Super Bowl next year.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Is Jimmy Garoppolo after being in the league for 4 years better at this point than rookie Mitch Trubisky? Sure.

But I tell you what, I don't think it's by much and Mitch 3-4 years will be better than Jimmy G is right now.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Jimmy Garoppolo after being in the league for 4 years better at this point than rookie Mitch Trubisky? Sure.

But I tell you what, I don't think it's by much and Mitch 3-4 years will be better than Jimmy G is right now.

Exactly...time will tell.

Marvin49

Liked Posts:
Hi guys...

Full disclosure I'm a long time Niners fan and came here to see what you guys thought of Jimmy G yesterday. Who you were rooting for will always paint your perspective so let me respond just a bit to some of the things I've read here. One of my best friends BTW is a Bears fan so was looking forward to having this exact same conversation with him, but that hasn't happened yet. You may or may not be interested in the the opinion of an outsider and if not, no worries.

1) First off, let me say that while many in the football world thought the Bears got fleeced on the trade, I didn't think that to be the case at all. They knew the 49ers weren't going to take Trubisky as evidenced by the comment to Paraag Marathe when he asked who they were going to take "I don't think you will be upset with our pick". The Bears had been open for business publicly to trade down in the draft while privately speaking with the Niners...IE, they knew who was trying to move up and what those packages looked like. If Trubisky is the guy for Chicago, I don't think it was a bad trade at all. They played those other teams by letting them think there was a chance they could get Trubisky at three knowing all the while he wouldn't be and making it seem like the move up to 2 was unnecessary.

2) Call me a homer, but I was on Cloud Nine yesterday. It didn't escape my attention that the Bears the Niners were playing weren't exactly the '85 Bears, but the SPEED at which Jimmy made decisions and got the ball out was what had my head spinning. The Niners have 2 very good tackles (Staley, Brown) but the interior 3 are trash. I watched poor CJ Beathard get beaten to a pulp for a month. Some of what you all are saying about no pressure and he had all day really isn't that accurate. A number of his throws where under duress and often he avoided pressure with his quick release. He is just more decisive and gets the ball out faster than I've seen in decades in SF.

3) I wouldn't judge Trubisky with this staff either. I'd also agree that the comparison is unfair. Jimmy has fewer starts than Trubisky, but he did practice with Brady, learn from Belichick, and now has Kyle Shanahan. Trubisky has none of that. Additionally...and I'm surprised no one mentioned this...BEFORE they were drafted Trubisky started ONE season. Jimmy started four full years. Jimmy is new to the offense and despite what people here say, that IS a big deal. In particular with Kyle. That system is WAY complex which is one of the reasons Ryan struggled with it in year one in Atlanta and then once he got it he took off in year 2.

In spite of that though Jimmy has taken far more NFL practice snaps than Trubisky has.

4) The "he didn't throw a TD and threw and INT" thing or the comp % argument: True, true and true...but lets be real for a sec. The INT was NOT on him. Fuller made a damn good play and ripped the ball away from Murphy. Technically its an INT but it looked more like a fumble. The TDs? It happens. team game and Niners really don't have any weapons. For his career though Jimmy has 6 TDs and 1 INT so I'm not exactly concerned. He threw one last week. The Comp%? Really? Jimmy completed 70% of his passes for 293 yards...7.9 per attempt. Trubisky has 102 yards at 6.8 yards per attempt. You guys act like 70% is bad. If Murphy doesn't lose the ball and Hyde doesn't drop a ball right in his hands he completes 75% of his passes. I'm not selling that its actually 75% BTW, I'm saying that the sample sizes are so small that very little could radically change the numbers.

Jimmy was also consistently pushing the ball further down the field.

5) WRs: I can't speak intelligently (insert joke here) about the Bears WR situation, but the 49ers is pretty damn bad. While you may think the Niners are better, both Goodwin and Taylor had the best games of their entire career yesterday. Taylor I think has a future as a Wes Welker/Danny Amendola type, but Goodwin is mostly a deep "stretch the field" type. Pierre Garcon is their best WR and he's out for the year.

6) Trubisky: Finally, I wouldn't give up on him either. I liked him in the draft but I didn't want the 49ers to take him for 2 reasons...a) they had too many other needs, b) I thought it was too high to take a guy with so few college starts. From a physical perspective I thought he was great.

I dunno how you guys feel but I get the feeling Fox will be done after the season. If they can get a good offensive mind as a HC or at least a good OC, I think he's got all the physical traits you could ask for.

Peace. See you next year at Levis.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2) Call me a homer, but I was on Cloud Nine yesterday. It didn't escape my attention that the Bears the Niners were playing weren't exactly the '85 Bears, but the SPEED at which Jimmy made decisions and got the ball out was what had my head spinning. The Niners have 2 very good tackles (Staley, Brown) but the interior 3 are trash. I watched poor CJ Beathard get beaten to a pulp for a month. Some of what you all are saying about no pressure and he had all day really isn't that accurate. A number of his throws where under duress and often he avoided pressure with his quick release. He is just more decisive and gets the ball out faster than I've seen in decades in SF.
Peace.

Agreed.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy hell whats next Tom Savage? JG is far more talented then Hundley so dont know what u point is. Also DOWELL greater than McCarthy and Shannahan as a play caller now too

Your point was that sitting on the bench for three years is somehow magic for a young QB, it's a flawed point, a very flawed point. Mitch had the advantage in preparation, familiarity, and actual game time. This is a greater advantage then holding a clip board for three years, just deal with it. JG's 3.5 years may allow him to progress faster, but that's not the topic of discussion, only this one game is, and JG, hands down, looked better than Mitch.