Does firing Fox now give the bears a leg up?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
With McDaniels being the lead candidate, not even the Giants have a leg up on getting him as he can't be interviewed til the bye week before the SB.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Why does anyone think Pace may be gone? He took over the Bears with expansion level talent without the bonus of the 1st overall draft picks, the coaching hire was a bust by a collective group, not his alone, and the teams talent level is middle of the road at worst right now. Pace will get a coaching hire all to himself and he will live or die by that choice and the next 2-3 drafts.

The concern is that you limit your chance at being the top HC destination this offseason by keeping Pace because he could get fired with another poor season.

I think Pace has been average so far but if he is gonna keep the Bears from having a chance at the rumored McDaniels/Caserio package then I would consider letting him go now.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
He isn't being fired because there's nobody on the coaching staff who are both willing and suitable to take over as interim HC. Fangio wants out, Loggains is obviously fired with Fox. Plus Pace may not have been guaranteed continued employment yet either. It's not happening until Tuesday 1/2/18.

This is extremely important. There is no advantage to firing Fox now.

I know watching four more games of Fox is not ideal, but who's to say the interim doesn't start calling 7 step drops like Mike Martz and get Trubisky wrecked going into the offseason.

Fox at least keeps this team in check.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I think the reason that Fox is not gone is because Pace will be here next year.

Just like in NY, if they are going to fire the HC midseason, the GM is likely to go with him.

I think Pace is safe, mainly because his cap management and drafting have been decent. Even with the screwup that is Glennon does not place us in a bad position next year with the cap.

He will be able to use the high draft picks and cap money as incentives to lure a new HC. ALSO, I think that since Fox appears to have been forced on him, he will get an opportunity to pick his own guy, just like he picked Trubisky.

BLUF- Fox is gone and Pace will have 2 years with the new HC to prove he can do something.

We need a true world beater with our first round pick this year.

I am talking a JJ Watt or a Von Miller type of guy.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
With McDaniels being the lead candidate, not even the Giants have a leg up on getting him as he can't be interviewed til the bye week before the SB.

I do believe you can request to interview HC candidates wildcard week IF their team has the bye. Otherwise, you can request an interview during Divisional week. A team does not have to grant that request, however...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do believe you can request to interview HC candidates wildcard week IF their team has the bye. Otherwise, you can request an interview during Divisional week. A team does not have to grant that request, however...
I think you're right. It's the 2nd interview that would have to wait til the bye week before the SB.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I’m all for sending a message but are we actually allowed to contact coaches during the season or is this one of the things that just happens behind the scenes. I understood that the Giants cleaned house so they can get their GM lined up more than the coach.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m all for sending a message but are we actually allowed to contact coaches during the season or is this one of the things that just happens behind the scenes. I understood that the Giants cleaned house so they can get their GM lined up more than the coach.
Yes, the Giants did what they did for some damage control with the Eli thing and to get a GM in place. Under normal circumstances you want your GM to pick the HC. It's more important than people might think that the GM and HC have a good working relationship like the Patriots HC and GM do.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

maybe the Bears have the leg up.. We have his brother on staff and pace could always ask him "where you going for Christmas? Going to see any family members? maybe drop some hints..." lol

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
With our Cap Space and high draft picks there is no reason we can not make similar moves to shore up the Offense.

The coaching staff will need to be a home run or Pace will be gone, if not already gone.

Well i don't see Pace going anywhere after this season but you're right in that we have the cap space to get the big name players this team needs. Pace can for sure go out and sign a top WR in free agency and he really could get two if he wanted to. I'm hoping for two with one being one of the top guys like A.Robinson, S.Watkins, D.Adams, J.Landry and another from a list of P.Richardson, M.Lee, J.Brown or D.Moncrief and think we could do that with around a total of $18-$20 mil which is a lot to spend on one position but if we're going for it then it's worth it. I'd be fine with one of the top guys and then drafting one early in the draft and with Meredith coming back healthy.

My biggest worry after WR is how we're gonna get a legit OLB to play opposite of L.Floyd. Free agency is very weak for 3-4 OLB's with Z.Ansah being the biggest name out there but he seriously regressed this season. We have to get one in the draft and this is where i'd go in the 1st round with my top guy being B.Chubb but there's other good names out there and we could get one in the 2nd round but we need a day one starter. This is why i'm all for the trade down in the 1st round to get an extra pick or two. We have no 3rd round pick this year so if we could trade down to the middle of the 1st and get a 3rd rounder or even another 2nd rounder then that would be big for us.

My 3rd biggest worry after WR and OLB is the secondary. We have 3 guys we need to figure out what to do with this offseason with both K.Fuller and P.Amukamara being free agents and with M.Cooper not playing up to his potential he showed with KC and Arizona. I do think he's better then what he showed and think him getting inconsistent playing time hurt him some so i would keep him as our #2 CB if we got a Trumaine Johnson or maybe even M.Butler in free agency or keep him if we brought both K.Fuller and Prince back and keep him as our 3rd CB. He's only making $3 mil this year but that jumps up to $5 mil in 2018 and in 2019 so it's not big money. I would love to draft M.Fitzpatrick (DB Bama) in the 1st round but then we couldn't get a WR and OLB in the 1st and 2nd round unless we did a trade down to gain an extra high pick.

Pace has work to do and we don't even know if he's thinking the way all of us are thinking about what our biggest needs are and how he should go about fixing those positions. For all we know Pace had a plan all along of this being a 5 year rebuild which would mean he's not planning on going hard at it this offseason. If he's looking at it as a 5 year plan then he has two more offseasons to get this rebuild done and lets be honest here, we definitely need a good two more offseasons to get this team where it needs to be but with a good offseason in 2018 we could take a big next step.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Free agency means players are free to dismiss any offer. Pace wanting someone and willing to pay top dollar doesn't mean he'll secure them.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well i don't see Pace going anywhere after this season but you're right in that we have the cap space to get the big name players this team needs. Pace can for sure go out and sign a top WR in free agency and he really could get two if he wanted to. I'm hoping for two with one being one of the top guys like A.Robinson, S.Watkins, D.Adams, J.Landry and another from a list of P.Richardson, M.Lee, J.Brown or D.Moncrief and think we could do that with around a total of $18-$20 mil which is a lot to spend on one position but if we're going for it then it's worth it. I'd be fine with one of the top guys and then drafting one early in the draft and with Meredith coming back healthy.

My biggest worry after WR is how we're gonna get a legit OLB to play opposite of L.Floyd. Free agency is very weak for 3-4 OLB's with Z.Ansah being the biggest name out there but he seriously regressed this season. We have to get one in the draft and this is where i'd go in the 1st round with my top guy being B.Chubb but there's other good names out there and we could get one in the 2nd round but we need a day one starter. This is why i'm all for the trade down in the 1st round to get an extra pick or two. We have no 3rd round pick this year so if we could trade down to the middle of the 1st and get a 3rd rounder or even another 2nd rounder then that would be big for us.

My 3rd biggest worry after WR and OLB is the secondary. We have 3 guys we need to figure out what to do with this offseason with both K.Fuller and P.Amukamara being free agents and with M.Cooper not playing up to his potential he showed with KC and Arizona. I do think he's better then what he showed and think him getting inconsistent playing time hurt him some so i would keep him as our #2 CB if we got a Trumaine Johnson or maybe even M.Butler in free agency or keep him if we brought both K.Fuller and Prince back and keep him as our 3rd CB. He's only making $3 mil this year but that jumps up to $5 mil in 2018 and in 2019 so it's not big money. I would love to draft M.Fitzpatrick (DB Bama) in the 1st round but then we couldn't get a WR and OLB in the 1st and 2nd round unless we did a trade down to gain an extra high pick.

Pace has work to do and we don't even know if he's thinking the way all of us are thinking about what our biggest needs are and how he should go about fixing those positions. For all we know Pace had a plan all along of this being a 5 year rebuild which would mean he's not planning on going hard at it this offseason. If he's looking at it as a 5 year plan then he has two more offseasons to get this rebuild done and lets be honest here, we definitely need a good two more offseasons to get this team where it needs to be but with a good offseason in 2018 we could take a big next step.

Don’t forget aboot DeMarcus Lawrence.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We need a true world beater with our first round pick this year.

I am talking a JJ Watt or a Von Miller type of guy.

B.Chubb could be that guy.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don’t forget aboot DeMarcus Lawrence.

Yeah i'd love to get him but don't see how Jerry is gonna let his best defensive player leave. He would be the kind of player i'd want playing opposite L.Floyd but after him and the Z.Ansah before 2017 i don't see anyone else in free agency that is the type i'd want opposite Floyd.