Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
QB is never BPA after 3. Teams get lucky with later picks but that a fact. It's insane to take a QB in one. Even if one fell to where he wasn't BPA but still a reasonable value, it would be time to parlay that into more picks. The only way I take a QB early one is to hold him ransom and call other teams bluff on a guy that I assume will give a lot of return on trade.
That said, I have no issue in taking one after 2. I once used the expression 'after 2' on another board and was accused of meaning the second pick. To be clear, I mean after the 2nd round and to be honest, I think our early 3rd is too soon unless it's a very odd draft.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
the cowboys drafted aikman and had steve walsh....the 9'ers got Steve Young while they still had Montana....the Pats draft qb's just to farm them and flip them...they are commoditys..it's dumb to just lean on one, they need to change the way they are looking at it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm fine taking a QB. Certainly not in round 1 though.

That being said I'm a Trubisky believer so I'd rather see:

1. Tackle
2. Pass rush (or flip round one and two)
3. WR
4. WR
5. Guard
6. Kicker

Or something like that and sign the best WR available in free agency.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I'm fine taking a QB. Certainly not in round 1 though.

That being said I'm a Trubisky believer so I'd rather see:

1. Tackle
2. Pass rush (or flip round one and two)
3. WR
4. WR
5. Guard
6. Kicker

Or something like that and sign the best WR available in free agency.

1. Chubb or Key - Edge
2. Miller or Kirk - WR
Grab Robinson or Watkins and pair them with someone like Richardson in free agency. Keep Inman and Meredith...
Look for o-lineman in the 4th round... (two picks)

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Will a WR or Oline guy change the franchise?
Yes.. absolutely. Every QB is going to need protection and someone to throw it to..

We need to draft a tackle in the first..

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'm all for drafting one every year until we get it right. Pace can't afford to use early picks at QB though. The team is swiss cheese in every area but RB and DL. Perhaps he can strike gold in a later round? I know, I know. Those things happen for other teams but not us. Maybe a solid backup can be developed.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
By early I'm thinking you mean 1st or 2nd round...

So draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd, and if he still doesn't work out then what? Draft another in 2019, 2020, 2021?
I'm all for drafting one in the later rounds to see if they get lucky, but this is ridiculous.

Give Mitch 2 more years, and if he still don't work then Bears get a new GM.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears should draft a QB early. I know most won't like me saying this but QB is just that important. To push Mitch, to have a real backup, to give the new staff a option, to work with 2 young guns doubles our chances at the 1 position that will make or break Pace and the new staff. I know we have a lot of needs but role players won't change our direction, QB will. It's time to overinvest at one position. Nothing will ever change for this franchise until we get a true QB. I believe Trubs is that guy but I also believe in hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. We don't know for sure Trubs is the man and even if he is, one injury could derail that. If we get a offensive minded HC then getting a second young QB to grow under him would pay big dividends down the road in having a extra QB to use or trade as this team gets to PO level of play. This is a QB league and only a QB can right this ship. You can add a top WR OLB CB T C and it won't matter if the QB play is not good. I believe in Trubs but I also believe in having a plan B. Go ahead and rail on me about all our other needs but you and I know that no other position but QB will change this franchise's direction.

Usually, I would say you are crazy, but nothing about Trubisky that I have seen is "special". Not his arm, not his decisions, definitely not his footwork. So I would not be opposed to drafting a Darnold or Rosen at the top of the draft or even Lamar Jackson later. This organization is going nowhere anytime soon, but a really great qb would speed up the rebuild process and if Trubisky actually turns the corner and shows he's legit next year, you could swap the qb drafted for some picks.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
And if the most important guy gets hurt or flops? I look at the Redskins as why I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

That's called football. You can't control injuries. Drafting a QB early doesn't guarantee a good back up. Most very good to elite QB's have a considerable decline as their back-up. That's the way it goes. Has Kirk Cousins led the Redskins to any championships? You're living in a dream land if you think you can keep two starting caliber QB's on your roster for very long.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Yes draft one every year until we get it right. Yes Mitch deserves atleast 2 more years but why wait on getting a second QB? could we not have one groomed by then just incase we need one. Look at any top team and they all invest in the QB position. None sit on their asses and say let's wait two years to see if our guy works out. Only a handful of QBs work out, even first rd QBs. To not have a plan B is criminal. Everybody wants this franchise to turn things around but most don't want to make the investment it takes.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Noonthirtyjoe;2913294[SIZE=5 said:
]Look I'm not saying use our first pick but get a mid round QB[/SIZE] to back up Trubs. If the new staff is based on who can develop a young QB then it makes sense to get a second young QB.

That's not an early pick like your title says.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too many needs to draft QB earlier than 4 or 5. QB is not a need.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While Trubisky is so green and up in the air, I agree that it would be nice to have a contingency plan, but I don't trust Pace to draft one. His two major QB decisions so far ($18m on Glennon, and passing on Watson) don't instill much of my trust in his ability to evaluate the position.

He should be left to sink or swim with Trubisky. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, then he's 0 for 2 and I want a new GM drafting the next QB.

You truly are either trolling or football Special person. If Ryan Pace had drafted Watson (Which you and I both know I also wanted) he would right now be crucified by the fans because of the knee injury. There isn't a fucking chance in hell that EVERYONE in the media wouldn't be calling for Pace's head on a silver platter because of what happened with Kevin White then going out and drafting a quarterback with an established injury history who then went on to fuck up his knee. Seriously eat a bag of dicks.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You truly are either trolling or football Special person. If Ryan Pace had drafted Watson (Which you and I both know I also wanted) he would right now be crucified by the fans because of the knee injury. There isn't a fucking chance in hell that EVERYONE in the media wouldn't be calling for Pace's head on a silver platter because of what happened with Kevin White then going out and drafting a quarterback with an established injury history who then went on to fuck up his knee. Seriously eat a bag of dicks.

Goodness me. Re-read your post and ask yourself why you take Bears football so seriously as to be this angry.

As to the point, I disagree. Watson is an exciting enough player that a non-contact knee injury wouldn't extinguish the optimism fans would have. At least he's a proven game changer. As it stands, we don't know if we have that. If we don't, and another one is needed, I don't trust Pace to pick him.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I agree. We should have kept Cutler

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Let me define early. I would trade down with our first and get some extra picks and use one of our top 3 picks at QB.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the cowboys drafted aikman and had steve walsh....the 9'ers got Steve Young while they still had Montana....the Pats draft qb's just to farm them and flip them...they are commoditys..it's dumb to just lean on one, they need to change the way they are looking at it.

But in back to back years?

Can we not focus on the supporting cast and draft a QB the following year? Like maybe after we make sure the new coaching staff is competent enough to develop 1 QB before we throw 2 at them?

I think the simple answer is that we draft DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller clones this year and see how good Trubs looks throwing to them first.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If the bears have a high draft pick and decided to trade down to get more picks, then sure draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd round. I’m only saying it if they have extra picks. Otherwise the Bears need receiving, oline l, and olb help.

A rebuilding team never has extra picks, they actually never have enough picks. I can't see them using any early pick on a QB right now but maybe when they get this team more settled they'll draft one. We just can't afford to use a early pick which will most likely be a day one starter on drafting a QB.