Ryan Pace's Delay Could Cost Him His Job

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is also why I think if the Bucs keep their GM Jason Licht they will be less of a destination because he has taken some body blows to his regime as well.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
They may get 2.

But Ballard in Indy and whoever the Giants hire are not going to be on a 1-2 year window to show something. Which means there is increased job security.

The same reason Lovie could never get a real OC, everyone was concerned about how much security he had.

I would not be surprised to see Pace get an extension commensurate with his coaching hire. McAdoo was just fired in New York after two years so that blows up your thesis there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would not be surprised to see Pace get an extension commensurate with his coaching hire. McAdoo was just fired in New York after two years so that blows up your thesis there.

He was fired because he sucked and they also fired the GM as well.

The new GM will get to hand pick his coach or vice versa. At a minimum that groip will get 3 years. Fox/Pace will lose 35 games in 3 years and they got all 3 years.

Pace may get an extension, but that doesn't mean he will be here past the next 2 years. But we obviously fundamentally disagree on how much job security Pace has. I think Pace needs to start winning games in a bad way.

Bears Suck-Pace Fired
Bears are Mediocre-Pace gets 2019

Bears suck-Pace Fired
Bears are mediocre again-Pace Fired

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He was fired because he sucked and they also fired the GM as well.

The new GM will get to hand pick his coach or vice versa. At a minimum that groip will get 3 years. Fox/Pace will lose 35 games in 3 years and they got all 3 years.

Pace may get an extension, but that doesn't mean he will be here past the next 2 years. But we obviously fundamentally disagree on how much job security Pace has. I think Pace needs to start winning games in a bad way.

Bears Suck-Pace Fired
Bears are Mediocre-Pace gets 2019

Bears suck-Pace Fired
Bears are mediocre again-Pace Fired

I guess it depends on how much George believes in Pace and what really transpired with the Fox hire. If it was truly Pace's idea, I think he's on thinner ice. If he went along with management and Accorsi, he probably has a longer leash and a chance to build a team with his coach and young QB. I think it's the latter. The last draft is a clue. No GM with his job on the line is picking Trubisky and Shaheen 1 and 2.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess it depends on how much George believes in Pace and what really transpired with the Fox hire. If it was truly Pace's idea, I think he's on thinner ice. If he went along with management and Accorsi, he probably has a longer leash and a chance to build a team with his coach and young QB. I think it's the latter. The last draft is a clue. No GM with his job on the line is picking Trubisky and Shaheen 1 and 2.

I also suspect when Pace made those picks he wasn't expecting a 3-13 implosion.

I think as much as George may believe in Pace there is a breaking point and it is coming in the next 2 years unless Pace gets this thing moving in the right direction.

I think the implosion coming out of the bye rocked everyone and every plan.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think when the Bears were 3-4 coming out of the bye week that confidence in Pace and "the plan" was really high and they thought they had turned a corner.

The last 5 weeks sunk John Fox and I think they hurt Ryan Pace.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think when the Bears were 3-4 coming out of the bye week that confidence in Pace and "the plan" was really high and they thought they had turned a corner.

The last 5 weeks sunk John Fox and I think they hurt Ryan Pace.

The last five weeks are indictment of Fox. In my opinion, the clock will start on Pace with the next coaching hire.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
The last five weeks are indictment of Fox. In my opinion, the clock will start on Pace with the next coaching hire.
Pace doesn’t get any blame for his shitty free agency class? Or going into the season with only one legit pass rusher?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace doesn’t get any blame for his shitty free agency class? Or going into the season with only one legit pass rusher?

Its easy to cast stones. Instead of this can you provide alternatives to who Pace should have taken in free agency? Of course while knowing he wouldn't be overspending for them either. Most people don't want to take the cruel realization he's been renting stop gaps in free agency until he can draft a replacement. When you view it in that light then his free agency makes more sense. When you don't view it in that light then you're expecting his free agents to be starter+ talent. Something you're most of the time just setting yourself up to be let down about.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Its easy to cast stones. Instead of this can you provide alternatives to who Pace should have taken in free agency? Of course while knowing he wouldn't be overspending for them either. Most people don't want to take the cruel realization he's been renting stop gaps in free agency until he can draft a replacement. When you view it in that light then his free agency makes more sense. When you don't view it in that light then you're expecting his free agents to be starter+ talent. Something you're most of the time just setting yourself up to be let down about.

Yep. 1 and 2 year rentals for the most part while building up the core of the team. But now should be the time he starts to spend a bit more and bring in a key FA or two, depending on the new coach and systems, of course...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep. 1 and 2 year rentals for the most part while building up the core of the team. But now should be the time he starts to spend a bit more and bring in a key FA or two, depending on the new coach and systems, of course...

I agree. If there ever was a time where Pace's hand has been forced into spending a bit more money in free agency than he might like, that time is now. He drafted Trubisky and now has to build around him and fast. I am sure even he knows that good will is drying up and he probably is going to have to make a significant impact on the roster's talent this off-season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I get that there are some other factors.

But this year was particularly bad evaluations. I get that he can't pick the premium fruit, but he grabbed the most rotten stuff.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree. If there ever was a time where Pace's hand has been forced into spending a bit more money in free agency than he might like, that time is now. He drafted Trubisky and now has to build around him and fast. I am sure even he knows that good will is drying up and he probably is going to have to make a significant impact on the roster's talent this off-season.

I also expect a much bigger spend on better players this offseason.

Can he land them? Who knows. The market is going to be full of crazy cash. Multiple teams would have 100 million in cap space.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
NY Giants
Colts
Maybe Bucs
Maybe Bengals who have a ton of talent.

Guys who I doubt they can land an interview with McDaniels, Patricia, Harbaugh, Nagy if he is locked in on Indy.

I thought this was ludicrous yesterday. Even funnier today...

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only reason Pace would fire Fox at this point would be to evaluate current staff for a potential head coaching position.

If none of the current staff are on Pace's radar to possibly take over then there is no reason to fire Fox. Fox knows he is gone after this. Most of the current staff know they will probably go with him. So the idea at this point is to just run out the season, try to give some young players playing experience and then retool with a new staff next year.

Pace won't be fired. He has too much time left on his contract and his selections haven't had time to either make or break his job. He picks the talent to put on the field, it is coaching's job to utilize it properly. If the talent selected is poor then he probably will be fired in 1-2 years. Otherwise he will stick around.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Given that we know that John Fox was almost forced on Ryan pace, ever think that maybe the reason for the short-term contracts was that so he wouldn't be locked into players that didn't suit the coach he knew he would eventually be able to hire?

Maybe Ryan Pace was waiting all along for him to have his own head coach to spend in free agency? Maybe he'll knew off the bat John Fox wasn't the long-term answer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Given that we know that John Fox was almost forced on Ryan pace, ever think that maybe the reason for the short-term contracts was that so he wouldn't be locked into players that didn't suit the coach he knew he would eventually be able to hire?

Maybe Ryan Pace was waiting all along for him to have his own head coach to spend in free agency? Maybe he'll knew off the bat John Fox wasn't the long-term answer.

If you really don't think about it, it does actually sort of make some sense.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Along that same line, his last draft was a big statement too.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You don't have to tell me that. It took me two off-seasons to realize Pace's plan wasn't going according to my vision of the "rebuild". But it sure didn't help that he didn't arrive to Chicago and simply state it from the get go that it was going to be a full roster turnover and rebuild. That might be his fault or it may have been ownership/upper management that said you can't do that. His drafting went night and day differently in his first off-season when he didn't have a choice but to use the scouting staff that was in place versus his two drafts after he put in his own scouting staff. His free agency was renting bodies in the short term while taking calculated stabs at finding gems and he lucked into Sitton as well.

Its others around here that want to shit on Pace without understanding that was what happened and how he was handling things.