Ryan Pace's Delay Could Cost Him His Job

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can criticize Pace without wanting him fired.

He deserves critiscm. He deserves to have his flaws pointed out. You can bitch about shitty moves.

I think Pace deserves to take some heat, but I also think he deseves 2 ore years to see this Trubisky thing through.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Pace is unlikely to see this through, but he will be credited with building the necessary foundation for the Bears going forward. Just like most teams that go on runs, it starts with the GM that was just recently fired. Just like with the Blackhawks, Stan Bowman gets all the credit, but it really was Dale Tallon that put the pieces in place.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace is unlikely to see this through, but he will be credited with building the necessary foundation for the Bears going forward. Just like most teams that go on runs, it starts with the GM that was just recently fired. Just like with the Blackhawks, Stan Bowman gets all the credit, but it really was Dale Tallon that put the pieces in place.

Part of me wonders if he has already buried himself in loses that even if he makes it 2-3 more years if those not loses will always follow him.

It will take 5 more years for his record to be defensible/reasonable.

I think he needs to crush this coaching hire. I think that is the easiest way to have people forget the John Fox disaster.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You can criticize Pace without wanting him fired.

He deserves critiscm. He deserves to have his flaws pointed out. You can bitch about shitty moves.

I think Pace deserves to take some heat, but I also think he deseves 2 ore years to see this Trubisky thing through.

No one is invulnerable to criticism in the NFL no matter how secure their job may be. Lets be real here.

The only thing being said here is that Pace's vision of the rebuild isn't complete and I would for the love of god like to see it to completion. This isn't baseball or basketball where you can rebuild in a few years. Simply by virtue of the fact there are far less players to have to replace in a rebuild in those sports. Football is an unforgiving sport where if you blow a team up you're in for a cruel realization that there is going to be some real shit football ahead of you. Compound that with the Special person amounts of injuries to this team and well you see what is before you at this moment.

For better or worse it seems ownership and upper management are going to see it through. For once in my lifetime I actually think the Bears might be doing what is necessary. Even when its hurting their bottom line and pissing off fans. Where I truly believe they went wrong though was in not being transparent about it. They could have just as easily announced the Ryan Pace signing and let him tell the media that this team was about to undergo a complete overhaul and that the product on the field was going to become worse before it could ever get better. That would have still pissed off fans and some season ticket holders but at least it would have put everyone in the right frame of mind with regard to the direction the team was headed and that this thing was for the long haul.

As I have said before multiple times though, check my pulse on Pace after this coming free agency and draft. Its going to be a hyper critical off-season for him with regard to just how much this team is going to progress.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is zero ambiguity to the fact only 4 players remain on the team Ryan Pace inherited. That is exactly what is meant by blowing up a team's roster. This is why people expecting this team to be far along already is beyond unrealistic. It was a complete team rebuild from the ground up. Its going to take time.

EXACTLY

Problem is, people expect every new name to be not only a starter but "impact player", "difference maker", or whatever subjective term fans like to argue about. Simply getting solid starters is what's needed plus a few all-stars on each side of the ball.

1. Some bitch at any acquisition that doesn't pan out, even if it's due to uncontrollable injury.
  2. Others bitch that a guy was overpaid. Misses happen on every team.
  3. Still further (the worst) are those who bitch when a FA leaves or isn't brought in when the cost was far too high AND they simply didn't want to join/stay on a team in a rebuild.

Even the above won't matter if 1/3 the starting roster is on IR and the coaching sucks. Both of those will change this off-season. Like you said, time.
Wow. I've seen stupid fans before but holy fuckin' shit, the stupid is out of control here.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is zero ambiguity to the fact only 4 players remain on the team Ryan Pace inherited. That is exactly what is meant by blowing up a team's roster. This is why people expecting this team to be far along already is beyond unrealistic. It was a complete team rebuild from the ground up. Its going to take time.

Three years is more than enough time to start seeing results. Replacing shit, with more shit,means nothing. Year ones draft was a complete fail. The Glennon signing was a fiasco, failure to address the WR position a constant failure. Last year he bungled the O-line miserably until Sitton fell into his Lap. He keeps slapping band-aides on a cadaver.

If Trubisky fails to live up to expectations, he will have botched 2 of the last three drafts. Everyone is heaping praise on him based on hope Mitch will be the Franchise QB. If he isn't, he could very well go down as one of the worst GM's in recent history.

He is what his record says he is.

End of story.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I don't blame Pace for the Kevin White fiasco. Although there was an indicator there for him to be of concern. But there was no glaring red flags he'd be Captain glass.
I do blame Pace for not doing better to ensure the Bears had a stud at WR given the injury concerns that had popped up. The herd of mediocre to bad receivers and relying on Meredith was a dumb move.

I always got the impression that Pace was motivated and while inexperience would learn quickly. I was always concerned he didn't have the balls to fire an old timer like Fox if it became necessary. So unless his parents demand it I don't see Pace firing fox of his own accord. Pace just seems too forgiving. Not hardball enough.

Should be interesting to see how everything pans out. Would love to be a fly on the wall in Halas hall.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I think Pace has done a solid job. However, he deserves to be criticized for some of the moves he has gone with.

I think his drafting has been good. You've got some solid contributors out of it like Goldman, Amos, Floyd, Whitehair, Howard, Jackson, and Cohen. I don't think you can really put all the blame on him for the White situation. I don't think he knew he would be this injury prone.

Free agency is a different story. He hit gold with Hicks. Trevathan, Freeman, and Amukamara have been solid when healthy and not suspended. However, he has whiffed more than he has hit on guys. Guys like Glennon, Wheaton, Sims, Demps, and more have not performed. Obviously, you can't really predict injuries.

It sucks to see guys that Pace did or should have targeted in FA perform really well for their new teams like A.J. Bouye, Casey Hayward, and Micah Hyde.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
No one is invulnerable to criticism in the NFL no matter how secure their job may be. Lets be real here.

The only thing being said here is that Pace's vision of the rebuild isn't complete and I would for the love of god like to see it to completion. This isn't baseball or basketball where you can rebuild in a few years. Simply by virtue of the fact there are far less players to have to replace in a rebuild in those sports. Football is an unforgiving sport where if you blow a team up you're in for a cruel realization that there is going to be some real shit football ahead of you. Compound that with the Special person amounts of injuries to this team and well you see what is before you at this moment.

For better or worse it seems ownership and upper management are going to see it through. For once in my lifetime I actually think the Bears might be doing what is necessary. Even when its hurting their bottom line and pissing off fans. Where I truly believe they went wrong though was in not being transparent about it. They could have just as easily announced the Ryan Pace signing and let him tell the media that this team was about to undergo a complete overhaul and that the product on the field was going to become worse before it could ever get better. That would have still pissed off fans and some season ticket holders but at least it would have put everyone in the right frame of mind with regard to the direction the team was headed and that this thing was for the long haul.

As I have said before multiple times though, check my pulse on Pace after this coming free agency and draft. Its going to be a hyper critical off-season for him with regard to just how much this team is going to progress.

Are you suffering from mental illness?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt be up in arms if this happens but i do think it would be a hard move to justify when the NFL landscape views the Bears as just as much of an irrelevance as it was three years ago and Pace has 12 wins in 3 years. You can only say rebuild, and the results will come so many times.
The only ones who need too have it justified to them are the McCaskeys.

If they sign off, to hell with the fan and media reaction.

Because if they are right, by this point Next Year everyone has moved on and the Bears are winning. And if they are wrong, they are in no different position than they would have been had they made a change the fans and media want.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Washington

Liked Posts:

When you blow up a roster, do you blow it up just for the sake of blowing it up or should you replace a player with someone who you deem to be better? With only 4 people remaining, the roster is completely Pace's and we should be better than we were in 2015.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
When you blow up a roster, do you blow it up just for the sake of blowing it up or should you replace a player with someone who you deem to be better? With only 4 people remaining, the roster is completely Paces and we should be better than we were in 2015.

If only you understood that you can't simply replace every player with better talent right away. Drafted players take time to develop. Top FAs cost a TON of money, plus you need to make sure they are the right fit for your team and scheme to have success.

And finally....NOT EVERY PLAYER BROUGHT IN HAS TO BECOME AN ALL-PRO TO BUILD A QUALITY NFL TEAM!!!!!!!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only you understood that you can't simply replace every player with better talent right away. Drafted players take time to develop. Top FAs cost a TON of money, plus you need to make sure they are the right fit for your team and scheme to have success.

And finally....NOT EVERY PLAYER BROUGHT IN HAS TO BECOME AN ALL-PRO TO BUILD A QUALITY NFL TEAM!!!!!!!

What part of 6-10, 3-13, and 3-9 is it you fail to grasp, exactly?????

Washington

Liked Posts:

Understood. But, do you just get rid of someone when you don't have a better option in place? If only 4 people from pre-Pace still remain, wouldn't you expect those players to be better than what we had and therefore we'd be a better team? That is why I asked if one should just blow up a roster for the sake of blowing up a roster. That would not make sense.

I don't believe anyone has ever said that every player has to be an all-pro.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Yup, this.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

Rebuilds in NFL are quicker than MLB and NBA. it took the cubs a few years to become a playoff team again. It took the bulls 7 years after MJ retired to return to the playoffs. The 6ers are just now finishing the "process". The NFL rebuilds are quick. You can usually go to the playoffs year two or three.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Rebuilds in NFL are quicker than MLB and NBA. it took the cubs a few years to become a playoff team again. It took the bulls 7 years after MJ retired to return to the playoffs. The 6ers are just now finishing the "process". The NFL rebuilds are quick. You can usually go to the playoffs year two or three.

People keep saying this like it is a steadfast rule that rebuilds in the NFL are quicker but that is just not the case. A lot of teams sit in this sort of middle ground of mediocrity where they aren't shit and they aren't great. This makes a 'rebuild' seem kind of quicker. Think the Vikings or the entire NFC east. Teams that need a TOTAL rebuild take much longer to turn around... look at the bucs, jaguars, raiders, titans. If you look specifically at the Jaguars... they have one of the best defenses in the NFL right now. They are currently sitting at 8-4 looking like this could be the year they make some type of playoff push. This was not a 3 year turn around. They had huge needs on both sides of the ball. It has taken them around 4 years of improved drafting and hitting on 2-3 solid off season signings. You could say very similar things about the Raiders turning their roster over starting in 2014.

The Bears lost a TON of older talent particularly on the defensive side of the ball and Emery came in and was unable to replace pretty much any of it sans Kyle fuller. The Bears had tons of holes all over the place when Pace took over and there is no way you can flip an entire offense and defense in 3 years. They have made great strides on the defensive side of the ball (still some holes), and offense is still lacking.

If someone could point out a team that has successfully turned over their ENTIRE roster in 3 years or less then go ahead and point one out, but I doubt you can find one.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
You can't blanket statement that.

An NFL rebuild is entirely dependent on how much usable talent there is when the process begins.

Bears started out in a major hole - 7 years of horrid, unusable drafts pre Pace, minus a number of players you could count on one hand. 5 or less.

That situation is NOT going to be fixed in a year or two.