Ryan Pace's Delay Could Cost Him His Job

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
the shoopster did it first, but he won't begrudge those who have eyes enough to see the need to turn up the heat on the Pacester . . .

http://http://www.chicitysports.com/2017/12/06/ryan-paces-delay-could-cost-him-his-job/

The New York Giants became the first team this season to fire their head coach and general manager due to poor performance. The move increased mounting pressure for Bears general manager Ryan Pace to fire John Fox before the end of the season as a Fox firing is inevitable anyway.

The longer Pace sticks with Fox this season, the more in danger Pace’s job becomes as well.

When the Bears general manager was hired back in 2015 he was hired in tandem with Fox to restart the rebuild following the failed Phil Emery regime. The head coach and general manager have combined for just 12 wins over their year span. Many of the team’s losses have been very similar to one another as of their 32 losses, 19 have been by one score or less.Furthermore, of those 19 losses, the team either led or was tied late in eight of those games only to eventually lose.

Since their win over Carolina back in Week 7, the Bears have preceded to lose their last five games. Every loss has led to an increase in calls for Fox to be fire.

Many believe that Fox and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains are not the right fit for grooming rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky and are actually stunting his growth. The team has averaged just 12 points on offense in those five games and has only had one trip into the opponent’s red zone in the last two games.

With four games remaining, the team is at risk of finishing with another 13 loss season especially as more and more injuries pile up. When the Bears take the field in Cincinnati on Sunday, they could possibly be missing five of their 11 opening day starters on defense. Injuries have been a common occurrence for Pace’s team, and when depth is lacking on a roster, the general manager usually gets the blame.

A move to replace Fox and give an interim coach a chance to coach the last few games could shift the focus from Pace’s and a banged up roster. If the interim coach finds a win or two in the last three games and Trubisky has a few good games, the focus on Pace needing to be removed would decrease.

Furthermore, it would show that the Bears ownership full entrusts their young general manager to find a head coach of his choice and give him full power in getting the team winning again.

Allowing Fox to finish the season could put Pace in a really bad situation as after the Cincinnati game, the team will have one more nationally televised game, one more home game, and a finale against one of the NFC’s best teams.

Two of the three games could see the Bears getting blown out, one in front of the nation, and another against a successful division rival. In 2014, the Bears suffered similar losses which were just too much of an embarrassment for Bears ownership to tolerate as they fired both head coach Marc Trestman and general manager Emery.

Last season, the Bears loss to the Redskins on Christmas Eve had drawn attention for the massive lack fan attendance. Attendance was on a steep decline in the last four home games starting with the Titans game at the end of November.

The team will play on Christmas Eve again this year against a possible winless Cleveland Browns team which could be a loss. If the Bears were to give the Browns their first and only win of the season, with Fox still at the helm, it may be too much for Pace to survive.

Pace has shown an ability to find talent as he has found quality players in all three of his drafts he has overseen. His free agent decisions have been questionable at best as he’s sigedn good players such as Akiem Hicks and Prince Akumarua, but also has had failures in Jerrell Freeman and Markus Wheaton. Fox making the same mistakes with different players signed or drafted by Pace puts both in trouble as it shows them as bad talent evaluators.

The current Bears general manager could find a head coach this offseason that brings the team back to prominence, but the longer he stands idle on the current coach he could be out of a job on New Year’s day as well.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
This is Special person.

No one can hire a head coach yet. He isn't losing anything.

Only way he is losing is if he isn't using the back channels most GMs use right now to have a good idea who may have reciprocal interest, and if he has no idea who to pursue yet.

Given rumors Pace already has a short list, that rules out the latter.

Your post is pure fantasy.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is Special person.

No one can hire a head coach yet. He isn't losing anything.

Only way he is losing is if he isn't using the back channels most GMs use right now to have a good idea who may have reciprocal interest, and if he has no idea who to pursue yet.

Given rumors Pace already has a short list, that rules out the latter.

Your post is pure fantasy.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Don't shoot the messenger, 'KFC; I just took it off chicity's homepage . . .

. . . Not "Special person" at all, though - the Pacester's seat is getting warm. 12-and-32 will do that to it . . .

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Pace has 2 years left on his contract, does he deserve an extension for where this team is now???

If he does not get an extension, and he hires a coach that gets a 4-5 yr contract (normal), if said coach fails in two years, do they fire both GM and coach, or do they do what they typically do, fire the GM, go out and hire a new GM who is willing to take on the current HC, and the cycle of stupid continues with this ownership.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Pace can not fire Fox until after the season is over. Why post about something that can't happen. Pace has no choice here.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Not only won’t Pace get fired he will get a 3 year extension. He will get to pick his coach and sink or swim with him. The key to everything is Trubisky, so he better make his selection with that in mind, and it’s time to spend in FA not lowball quality only to sign a bunch of worthless quantity. Or he will be gone and we will suck for another 4 years at a minimum.

bearsfaninfl

Liked Posts:
I would have a hard time believing ownership hasn't already approached Pace to figure out the plan. I would be surprised if there hasn't already been a discussion with Pace explaining why he doesn't want to put someone else in charge, or management telling him not to fire Fox until season end out of respect or because they don't want to pay him to sit at home...or something else.

Regardless, I would be shocked if there wasn't already a discussion about it, with upper management and Pace coming together on a course of action.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Firing Fox now has only two benefits:

1) It signals to the fans that they feel our pain and are offering us a sacrificial lamb.

2) It allows Pace to evaluate the offense with the Fox governor removed from the accelerator.

Apparently none of these matter enough to Pace and/or Ginny.

I would like to know why John Fox was brought back to coach the 2017 season to begin with once they jettisoned Cutler. It's a fireable offense to think John Fox should oversee the Trubisky development.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If I was Pace I would be worried if the ownership was NOT talking to me about the end of the season plan.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It's pretty well known that the McCaskey's have never fired a HC during the season and don't wanna start now so i think that this is why Fox won't be fired until the season is over. I don't really see too much reason to fire him now anyway even though i'd be fine if they did. Fangio doesn't wanna be here anymore so there's no reason to make him the interim HC and D.Loggains has fallen off cause i actually thought he was good with his play calling last year. Lets let it ride out get as high a pick as we can and move on from J.Fox and pretty much the entire coaching staff and start fresh in 2018.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do not think Pace will be fired.

I do not want to fire Pace.

Would I say there is a 0% change he is fired, NO. There is 4 more games of embarrassments coming and we know the McCaskeys do not like getting embarrassed.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
If the McCaskeys don't want to fire a coach midseason, how could he be jeopardizing his job by obeying orders? If he fired fox midseason in contravention of orders, I would get the point. But that's not the case. This doesn't pass the sniff test.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears have NEVER fired a coach mid season. Everyone is completely nuts over this thing. Fox is more than likely gone after the season is over and I am sure the majority of the league knows it as well. If there is any coach interested in this job they already know the Bears will come knocking soon enough. Besides, who in their right mind wants to be the coach of a team who fires the HC/GM mid season? That is the definition of not having job security. People calling for Pace's head are equally clueless. Do you want to perpetually be the Chicago Browns? Because that is literally how you become the Chicago Browns. This team above all else needs to have stability at the GM position. We need someone who is going to fully rebuild the roster top to bottom and 3 years of drafting and renting players in free agency doesn't cleanse the stench left from Angelo and Emery. Seriously, get over yourselves people.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because the ownership does not allow it. I think you know that Windy.

Then we have a pansy as our GM.

Pace convinced the Mcaskeys to spend 100 million on Halas Hall, but he can't convince them to fire John Fox 4 weeks early?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears have NEVER fired a coach mid season. Everyone is completely nuts over this thing. Fox is more than likely gone after the season is over and I am sure the majority of the league knows it as well. If there is any coach interested in this job they already know the Bears will come knocking soon enough. Besides, who in their right mind wants to be the coach of a team who fires the HC/GM mid season? That is the definition of not having job security. People calling for Pace's head are equally clueless. Do you want to perpetually be the Chicago Browns? Because that is literally how you become the Chicago Browns. This team above all else needs to have stability at the GM position. We need someone who is going to fully rebuild the roster top to bottom and 3 years of drafting and renting players in free agency doesn't cleanse the stench left from Angelo and Emery. Seriously, get over yourselves people.

The Rams fired their coach during the season last season and landed one of the hottest names in the coaching search.

The Giants fired their coach this season and will land the top candidate this season.

The Dolphins fired Joe Philbin early and landed one of the hottest names that year in Adam Gase.

Chip Kelly was fired during the season and the Eagles replaced him with a total stud.

Rex Ryan was fired during the season and the Bills landed what appears to be a great coach in Sean McDermott.

Coaches do not care when you fire the guy before them.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pace is not getting fired, period.

It's more likely that Fox returns than Pace gets fired and neither will happen.

Anyone suggesting Pace will be fired is eith ignoring or football ignorant of how much better the personnel on this team is versus the aged, zero talent, zero depth, zero locker room discipline team he took over. The first coaching hire was almost assured to be sacrificial due to the inevitable poor record. Fox still was a good hire for the 1st 2 years to get legitimacy back to the staff and around the league with players and coaches and he probably could have 8 and 8'ed his way to a 4th year, but he seems to have almost scuttled his own tenure. Maybe his home is completed in The Villages retirement community and he just wants to play bocce ball and pickle ball with his peers.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace is not getting fired, period.

It's more likely that Fox returns than Pace gets fired and neither will happen.

Anyone suggesting Pace will be fired is eith ignoring or football ignorant of how much better the personnel on this team is versus the aged, zero talent, zero depth, zero locker room discipline team he took over. The first coaching hire was almost assured to be sacrificial due to the inevitable poor record. Fox still was a good hire for the 1st 2 years to get legitimacy back to the staff and around the league with players and coaches and he probably could have 8 and 8'ed his way to a 4th year, but he seems to have almost scuttled his own tenure. Maybe his home is completed in The Villages retirement community and he just wants to play bocce ball and pickle ball with his peers.

I agree.

Fox was always a sacrificial point A to point B hire. He just turned out to be way more of a disaster than I think anyone thought.