The book on Matt Nagy

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
In a perfect world it would be nice to see Nagy to Chicago and bring Toub with him as ST. It would be icing on the cake if Fangio stayed... I know, just a dream...

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
Fisher probably has the inside track. It’s just so McCaskey-y to hire Jeff Fisher, a Fox-like dinosaur. That’s why I think it’ll get done. Relying on Pace to put the hammer down and tell the McCaskeys “no”.

I would probably stop watching football all together if that happened.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And why would either of them leave the playoff-perennial Chiefs for the same position with the Bears? I don’t see how you’d get both...

Some reasons why he want to leave.

- Job security (Andy Reid may be close to retirement)

- Unhappy with KC Organzation & City in general

- Misses Chicago (Spend 8 years in Chicago)

- Mitchell Trubisky over Alex Smith, Patrick Mahomes III

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
You wont be able to get Toub and Nagy, the chiefs will just block us. You can only hire 1 head coach there is no more assistant head coach and OC/DC poison pill anymore.

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
Bears should be competitive for the top HC candidates. I know we lack WRs in a big way but other than that the Bears should be appealing (young potential stud QB, RBs, decent O line if healthy, draft position, cap space...) to the top coaches. I don’t see colts as a better situation, Texans and Titans maybe more appealing.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Bears should be competitive for the top HC candidates. I know we lack WRs in a big way but other than that the Bears should be appealing (young potential stud QB, RBs, decent O line if healthy, draft position, cap space...) to the top coaches. I don’t see colts as a better situation, Texans and Titans maybe more appealing.

Bears also are as of now a top ten defense. Add another pass rusher, keep what you have and the defense is “plug and play”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Toub probably has the inside track with Ballard and the Colts............So Nagy it is.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I agree that we have some appeal with the QB, RB combo. But let's not overstate that too much. But any head coach candidate looking at our OLine and feeling it is set, should not be a head coach candidate. I want a guy determined to upgrade the OLine - at several positions.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I think the mere fact that a HC would not have his OC calling plays at any point in the year is a red flag. True that the Chiefs are doing well now that Nagy has started calling plays, and that is a plus. But the fact that he was not allowed to call plays just 5 weeks ago scares me.

I was under the impression that the reason Nagy was not calling plays was more about Andy Reid than it was with anything concerning Nagy.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I was under the impression that the reason Nagy was not calling plays was more about Andy Reid than it was with anything concerning Nagy.

Reid has always liked to have full control over the offense and personnel decisions. That includes play-calling. He gave up playcalling to Nagy as a desperation move because they lost 6 out of 7 games and were shitty. They’ve been good ever since.

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
I agree that we have some appeal with the QB, RB combo. But let's not overstate that too much. But any head coach candidate looking at our OLine and feeling it is set, should not be a head coach candidate. I want a guy determined to upgrade the OLine - at several positions.

How did you get “set” out of me saying the O line is decent? Most rational people would take that as average to slightly above with room for improvement, which when healthy is what the Bears O line is.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
http://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1T0m...y63K3PAY2x2PxgVkp6wx7C369peEHS-9MawpUSv-CFYEI

Chicago Bears: 3 Reasons Matt Nagy Could Be Their Guy

The Chicago Bears are set to pursue their next head coach come this January, and a popular name expected to be of interest in Matt Nagy
Offensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs, his star has been rising rapidly over the past month. That was when head coach Andy Reid handed him play calling duties for the offense. Since then the Chiefs have not scored less than 26 points in any game and everything is clicking. At age 39 he represents another of those young blood coaches who might be able to follow in the footsteps of Coach of the Year hopeful Sean McVay out in Los Angeles.

Nagy remains a bit of an unknown. Being a Reid disciple is never a bad thing of course. Ask guys like Doug Pederson and John Harbaugh. At the same time, Nagy is still so fresh to the scene, having just become a coordinator in 2016. There’s no way to know for sure if he’d head coaching material, so perhaps it’s better to ask the simpler question. Would he be good for Mitch Trubisky and the Bears offense were he to take over?

Here are three things he can do for them.

#1 – Coaches passing efficiency
Alex Smith has always been an efficient passer but Nagy gets the most out of what he does best. Prior to his taking over, Smith had 19 touchdowns and four interceptions in 11 games. Over the past four games since Nagy took over play calling duties, Smith has seven touchdowns to just one interception. That’s an even better ratio prior to the change. This is something that the Bears will want more from Trubisky. Higher number of touchdowns, lower number of interceptions.

#2 – Commits to the run
Don’t be fooled. Nagy may be a former quarterback who specializes at the position, but he’s a balanced offensive mind. Just look back at the past four games. In three of the he made sure to give Kareem Hunt at least 24 touches on the ground. All three of those games were victories and in each he still managed to make sure Smith was staying productive as a passer. That’s the sort of balance the Bears have been yearning for.

#3 – Knows how to manufacture big plays
One problem with the Bears offense since the start of the season has been their consistent inability to hit big plays, especially through the air. Despite having Smith at QB, a man notorious for not being a deep thrower, the Chiefs have consistently hit on several big plays over the past month. Much of this is due to Nagy’s ability to manufacture good matchups at the right time, then allowing his quarterback to take the shot.

Such an aggressive mentality is something the Bears haven’t had under John Fox. It’s high time that changed.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Trubisky will reach his true potential—whatever that may be—with someone like Matt Nagy at the helm. The first and third points above are huge. Alex friggin’ Smith takes these shots down the field, and I’ll be damned if they don’t come at the most opportune times. Nagy has it. I hope we don’t pass him up.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Nagy showing he can call plays is really taking him to the top of my list. I had LaFleur as my top guy, but there's probably more unknown with him. But 420 yards of total offense per game the last 4 that he's been calling plays. And like was said, he doesn't forget about his run game. Alex Smith over 4000 yards for the first time in his career, and passed his previous career high in passing yards by over 500....and he's not even going to play game 16. Offense has a 1000 yard TE. A 1200 yard WR, who is only 5'10 and didn't even receive a combine invite before he was drafted just last year. And he has a rookie at #2 in the league in rushing. I know all of this isn't him, but the Andy Reid tree has had quite a bit of success and Reid thinks Nagy is the best HC prospect of all of his former assistants. That's enough for me to want him as the next head coach.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Nagy showing he can call plays is really taking him to the top of my list. I had LaFleur as my top guy, but there's probably more unknown with him. But 420 yards of total offense per game the last 4 that he's been calling plays. And like was said, he doesn't forget about his run game. Alex Smith over 4000 yards for the first time in his career, and passed his previous career high in passing yards by over 500....and he's not even going to play game 16. Offense has a 1000 yard TE. A 1200 yard WR, who is only 5'10 and didn't even receive a combine invite before he was drafted just last year. And he has a rookie at #2 in the league in rushing. I know all of this isn't him, but the Andy Reid tree has had quite a bit of success and Reid thinks Nagy is the best HC prospect of all of his former assistants. That's enough for me to want him as the next head coach.
I think many are getting ahead of themselves with Nagy. A fresh playcaller is similar to a new QB starting. Defenses take a little while to figure them out. They need tape to discover weaknesses and tendencies. What happens if his offense lays and egg this week or the next? There simply isn’t much to go off of to give Nagy a ton of credit imo.

At this point, Nagy will not even have a full season of play calling under his belt. Defenses might figure him out.

Also, you can’t credit Nagy for his 4 game stretch and also credit him getting Alex Smith to 4000 yards for a full season’s work. Smith was producing a the beginning of the season with Reid calling the plays.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think many are getting ahead of themselves with Nagy. A fresh playcaller is similar to a new QB starting. Defenses take a little while to figure them out. They need tape to discover weaknesses and tendencies. What happens if his offense lays and egg this week or the next? There simply isn’t much to go off of to give Nagy a ton of credit imo.

At this point, Nagy will not even have a full season of play calling under his belt. Defenses might figure him out.

Also, you can’t credit Nagy for his 4 game stretch and also credit him getting Alex Smith to 4000 yards for a full season’s work. Smith was producing a the beginning of the season with Reid calling the plays.

It seems to me everyone out there is trying to find the next McVay. Young and smart. Nagy seems to fit that and comes from the Reid tree. Good play callers should be able to adjust to defenses. I think Nagy is a step above those other guys like LaFluer, Reigh, and Flip.

Last edited:

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Sure I can. Even if he wasn’t calling plays to start the season, he was still the offensive coordinator.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

If his offense lays an egg this week, who cares? It's week 17 and most of his starters will be out. If it happens the week after, they're out of the playoffs against a good Ravens defense. Oh well.

And I never said there was a bunch to go off of. I am using the limited information I have to develop a preference. Like I said, LaFleur was my top guy a couple weeks ago and he has never called a play, from what I understand. You can discredit any coordinator because they have never been a head coach before. There's no set amount of time as a coordinator, set number of plays needed to be called to be a successful NFL head coach.