The book on Matt Nagy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I did some digging into Matt Nagy as a coaching candidate as his name gets out there in the coaching circles. I found a very interesting option and a very interesting offense and I would feel pretty good about a Matt Nagy hire for the Bears.

Matt%20Nagy%20-%20Chiefs%20Offensive%20Coordinator_1501854859063_24606554_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Personal

39 years old
College QB: Delaware
Arena League QB: 02-08

-I am a fan that he has played the QB position. I think there is a unique mental angle to the position that if difficult to understand if you have not played the position. That is not saying you cannot be a great QB coach without it, but it is a unique position in sports with the pressure and demands on you everyday as a leader.

Coaching

2008-2012 Philadelphia Eagles [Offensive Quality Control]
2013-2015 Kansas City Chiefs [QB Coach]
2016-2017 Kansas City Chiefs [Offensive Coordinator]

-I like that Andy Ried has kept him around for almost a decade. When a great coach sees talent my guess is that he ensures you stay close.

-Ried has spoken very highly of Nagy and some around the Chiefs think he is a better head coaching candidate than Perderson was, and Pederson is having a ton of success.

-Nagy is now calling plays for the Chiefs till the end of the season and that gives the evaluation of him some serious help. Ried has called plays forever and he must feel very confident in Nagy to give him the headset.

Scheme

-The Chiefs run one of the most unique systems in the NFL and it seems like a blend of west coast, air raid, power run-play action, and even some old school option. I think that is the type of creativity and innovation that the Bears do not have.

-Since Nagy took over, which many in KC think was at halftime of the Buffalo game, the Chiefs have run a ton of RPO [Run Pass Option] and have been in shotgun a lot more. In the 6 quarters that Nagy was running the offense the Chiefs ran 17 RPO plays and a majority of their runs had pass options built in on the backside. This is an area where I think Trubisky would be very successful as it mimiced what he did at UNC.
1. Trubisky is a threat to run the ball out of the shotgun
2. Jordan Howard is a very good shotgun runner
3. Gives the defense 3 things to defend on the same play an opens up passing lanes

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/12/6/16740914/the-matt-nagy-effect

-Because of Alex Smith's arm limitations the Chiefs do a really nice job of scheming to get easier throws down the field. On 2 of HIll's longer completions they run multple players in front of the safety and make him pick someone to cover. In both case he attacked up towards Kelce and Harris and left Hill with inside leverage going downfield 1 on 1 with the middle of the field open.

-Nagy threw the ball down field a ton against the Jets and was very aggressive, which is something that has been incredibly lacking in the Bears offense.

-One of the more diverse and better screen teams in the NFL.

-They throw to the RB a lot out of the backfield, which fits well with the best way to use Cohen and gives the QB easy completions and yardage and allows him to establish a rhythm.

-They use a lot of spread concepts in that they flood the coverage with route runners. On almost all of their passing plays they had 4 players in the route concept and the RB releasing pretty quickly. Trubisky coming from a spread could make this an easier transition. It also does not allow teams to run guys underneath routes and to play a ton of zone concepts, which has been where he has struggled.

-Threaten you vertical with a lot of players from a lot of positions. The Chiefs consistently have someone forcing the safeties back and stretching the field vertically, but they do it with a bunch of guys. Hill on the outside and in the slot, Wilson in the slot, Kelce from the TE position. This makes it super difficult to slant your coverage or set your safeties. It creates indecision in the backend. If you X WR is the only guy who attacks vertically it is very easy for a S to cheat over or a CB to run deep with a LB underneath on most snaps.

Bears Needs

Luckily the Bears need a complete offensive overhaul and they can tailor things to Nagy. Some personnel notes are below and areas where the Bears must improve or where they match up.

Match Up Nicely

-Center: The center in this system appears to left to deal with players on there own a decent amount. The Chiefs have always invested serious talent in the position [Hudson, Morse] because they do not want to help the C. Morse, until he was injured, was blocking the NT a lot on his own. Because they release the RBs so much they need the interior OL to pick up the blitz package.

-Tight End: The Chiefs run a basketball team out at TE, Kelce [6'6"], Travis [6'7"], Harris [6'7"]. The Chiefs also use the TE to threaten downfield and to go vertical in the seam. This should be a role that both Shaheen and Brown can fill. Both are really big guys with enough athletic ability to threaten you downfield.

-Running Back: Howard is a very good shotgun runner and Cohen can catch out the the backfield, which is a requirement of someone in the RB group. In a perfect world Howard would be able to catch, but the Bears have a group here that can match what the Chiefs have pretty easily.

-Quarterback: It was rumored that the Chiefs were very high on Trubisky and it makes sense since he appears to be a more physically talented version of Smith. Both are mobile, accurate and can threaten a defense with their legs.

Areas of Need

-WR Speed: The Chiefs and Eagles under Ried have always had a ton of speed and elite speed at WR. The Bears have next to NO speed at the WR position. Hill [4.29], Conley [4.35], Wilson [4.42] are a track team and it allows the Chiefs to attack vertically from every spot on the field.

-Offensive Tackle: The Chiefs do not help their OTs in pass protection, they put them on an island a lot and I am not sure that Massie is going to fit that type of pass blocking requirements. The Chiefs have invested heavily at the OT position Fisher [1st overall, 4 years 48 million] and Schwartz [5 years 33 million], so that they can get as many people as possible into the route concept.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The cool thing is that besides the wild card Tyreek Hill, that offense is pretty much run without any sort of legit wide receivers. Cohen can play the Hill role, and if Shaheen can lose a few pounds he’d play the Travis Kelce role.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The cool thing is that besides the wild card Tyreek Hill, that offense is pretty much run without any sort of legit wide receivers. Cohen can play the Hill role, and if Shaheen can lose a few pounds he’d play the Travis Kelce role.

Cohen is criminally underused... If he had went to the Eagles who wanted him, he'd be going the fuck off like Kamara.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The entire concept of the passing game is that the ball goes to different guys consistently. I am not 100% sure if that is by design or that Smith reads the field quickly, but they do spread the ball around.

I do not think Cohen should be used in the Hill role, I think you use him out of the backfield and find a legit WR that can run [Paul Richardson, John Brown].

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The entire concept of the passing game is that the ball goes to different guys consistently. I am not 100% sure if that is by design or that Smith reads the field quickly, but they do spread the ball around.

I do not think Cohen should be used in the Hill role, I think you use him out of the backfield and find a legit WR that can run [Paul Richardson, John Brown].

Cohen would be unguardable in the open field. The quickness he shows coming out of his breaks is nothing short of spectacular...

https://gfycat.com/RapidNextCanadagoose

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
He will have a full 4 games to show if he can call the plays. The Reid tree is rather impressive, so if this is the man, I'll get behind it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

I think it’s by design. A good offensive coordinator develops an offense around the talent they have. Currently they don’t have a top wr but they have top rb and te. Sounds familiar to us just we don’t have brainiacs coordinating things. We know when Reid has top wrs like Terrell Owens they changed the offensive to accommodate him

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Appreciate it Windy. I'm a fan of the guy. I second whoever made the request for LaFleur

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah i have him on my list as well but the rumor is that C.Ballard wants him in Indy and they have history.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is almost to funny to even read

Wikipedia lists his “vast” expertise as;
08-09 Eagles Coaching intern
10 Eagles Coach’s assistant
11-12 Eagles Off Quality control
13-15 Chiefs QB coach
16 to now Chiefs OC

So he has 5 whopping years as any kind of a players position coach and he is ready to move up to the top of the profession ???

This has to be a fucking joke...This guy is nothing but Andy Reid’s mouth piece...

I hope Pace has a better grasp than this stupid shit...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, looks too inexperienced for me.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think he's worth a look and intriguing given his playing career and the Andy Reid coaching tree is impressive. Not ready to crown him as an absolute hire yet though, we'll see how he finishes out the season calling plays.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah i have him on my list as well but the rumor is that C.Ballard wants him in Indy and they have history.

I also think that the Colts could swipe him early. They have a connection and they can offer more security than the Bears.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I also think that the Colts could swipe him early. They have a connection and they can offer more security than the Bears.

Yeah I think the only chance the Bears have at him is if Luck's future ends up seriously in question