Cubs sign Tyler Chatwood to 3 year contract

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Some valid points, I guess I have more faith in Cobb than you do and he was better in the 2nd half of 2017 than he was in the first. My real worry though is this; I think they may still sign Cobb who I would be comfortable with at 5 but certainly not at 4. In other words I think Cobb can be better than a 5 but I wouldn’t bet on it while I don’t think Chatwood can be. This team needs pitching to take this division again and this signing is an inauspicious start.

See I kinda agree with Cobb as a 5 but the problem i would have had is giving a #5 starter a 4-5 year deal for $15+ mil. If the cubs don't land Ohtani I'm not entirely sure what the play will be. Think you'll see some look toward Darvish/Arrieta and if they get too price think they attempt to trade for someone though not sure who that's going to be.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman‏Verified account
@JonHeyman
Follow Follow @JonHeyman
More
chatwood $13M salary in 2020 escalates to $15M if he makes all-star game in 2018 AND 2019 or receives 1 cy young vote in 2018 OR 2019. it escalates to $17M if receives 1 cy vote in 2018 AND 2019. so 2 writer votes could mean $4M. #cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
See I kinda agree with Cobb as a 5 but the problem i would have had is giving a #5 starter a 4-5 year deal for $15+ mil. If the cubs don't land Ohtani I'm not entirely sure what the play will be. Think you'll see some look toward Darvish/Arrieta and if they get too price think they attempt to trade for someone though not sure who that's going to be.

Pretty sure it would end up a trade. I doubt Archer is off the table right now. So I would look at a TOR deal with control and age under 30. Fulmer would be another that I would look into with their rebuild. Then Stroman. Not sure if the Jays are selling the team so this one is unlikely in a team sell.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I like him better than cobb. He's an elite ground ball guy. His curve and cutter were pretty good for him last year. And unlike cobb he doesn't cost you IFA money/draft pick. 3 years is a little longer than I like but $12 mil AAV isn't that bad for a #5 starter with some upside.

I'm pretty sure that Theo see's something in the stats that makes him think he can excel. I think you may be be right (don't know the stats) if the ground balls are correct. I've always said that you want good ground ball pitchers at Wrigley so I like this so far. I also like the 95 mph fastball he comes with. I always said that velocity can dictate.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that Theo see's something in the stats that makes him think he can excel. I think you may be be right (don't know the stats) if the ground balls are correct. I've always said that you want good ground ball pitchers at Wrigley so I like this so far. I also like the 95 mph fastball he comes with. I always said that velocity can dictate.

He dropped his arm slot in Col. He was more over the top with a curve before but coors hates curves and hates ball movement.

But the general thought is to get his arm slot up where his high spin rate will do what it is supposed to and also will create more downward movement on his curve.

In coors he was forced into a cutter/sinker guy due to the park.

I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes another Arrieta. He has the toolset Jake has and just needs some readjustments

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Chatwood as a starter is basic and understanding but I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a really good reliever. Could be valuable in a playoff situation after giving you 30+ starts and 175 innings as a fifth starter.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Now they have 3 candidates (Chatwood, Montgomery, Tseng) to cover #5 SP and 2 loogy positions.

TOR SP type (Ohtani, Darvish, Arietta, trade) and closer (Davis, trade) are still key issues for the team going into 2018 season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman‏Verified account
@JonHeyman
Follow Follow @JonHeyman
More
chatwood $13M salary in 2020 escalates to $15M if he makes all-star game in 2018 AND 2019 or receives 1 cy young vote in 2018 OR 2019. it escalates to $17M if receives 1 cy vote in 2018 AND 2019. so 2 writer votes could mean $4M. #cubs

Nice to give a guy something to shoot for, if he makes one all star game he should be worth 18 million.

Makes me wonder if they tried to do this with Jake, a lot of incentives over guarantees.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now they have 3 candidates (Chatwood, Montgomery, Tseng) to cover #5 SP and 2 loogy positions.

TOR SP type (Ohtani, Darvish, Arietta, trade) and closer (Davis, trade) are still key issues for the team going into 2018 season.

Heard that Theo will talk to Jake and Wade’s agents in the meetings. I’m pretty sure if Theo can get both back at a palatable price it would be preferred. You know what you have with both.

Chatwood honestly is intriguing. If he doesn’t change his arm slot he is boring but from what I’ve read he was happy with the idea of fixing his mechanics and stabilizing out of Coors. He had to adjust for home games and never knew if his pitches would work that game. Getting out of there is the best thing for him and I’m pretty interested in seeing what he can bring.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
He dropped his arm slot in Col. He was more over the top with a curve before but coors hates curves and hates ball movement.

But the general thought is to get his arm slot up where his high spin rate will do what it is supposed to and also will create more downward movement on his curve.

In coors he was forced into a cutter/sinker guy due to the park.

I wouldn't be shocked if he becomes another Arrieta. He has the toolset Jake has and just needs some readjustments

That's what I was thinking. I hope so!