Xbox One

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me and the wife are finally thinking of upgrading our Xbox 360 to a One. Just the basic model: Xbox One S 500g. Around Thanksgiving, it was selling for $149 but the cheapest I see now is $189. I don't normally follow holiday pricing, do you guys think it will drop back down closer to Xmas?
Also, will 500g be enough for several games after multiple game saves, updates, expansions...?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If I saw them for $150 I'd buy a few of them and sell them to a homer on Ebay or Facebook for $180-200 range.

AussieBear

doubt 500 gb will be enough with newer games if youre installing a lot and downloading lots of games over the long run.. however, i know they sell external drives, so there is an option to expand down the road when you need more space..

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I saw them for $150 I'd buy a few of them and sell them to a homer on Ebay or Facebook for $180-200 range.

Yeah, I'm pissed I didn't grab one. Hopefully they'll go back down closer to Xmas, but I haven't followed pricing in the past and not sure if that's a possibility.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm pissed I didn't grab one. Hopefully they'll go back down closer to Xmas, but I haven't followed pricing in the past and not sure if that's a possibility.

I'd guess if you watch prices you will find that deal again, JMHO though..

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I got my nephews Xbox from kohls for Black Friday. Used ebates which gave me 6% off. It was a bundle pack for 329 you get two controllers and a game with it plus 1tb plus kohls gave me back $90 kohls cash which I used on their Nike sale which I planned on buying anyways so it worked out for me

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
500 GBs is fine unless you plan on playing a fuck ton of games at once. I have about 10 games downloaded at anyone time and just uninstall them when I am done playing. They are always ready to reinstall if you ever get the itch to play them again and the saves are on the cloud so don't take up hardware storage.

You might as well wait till after Christmas when prices will likely drop again once we are out of holiday season. Also, unless you are really cost conscious, might as well get the Xbox One X as the Xbox One S is pretty much going to be obsolete in a year or so. Of course, the X-box One X retails at around $500 but is the first console that truly plays 4k although the games themselves haven't quite caught up to the console.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
500 GBs is fine unless you plan on playing a fuck ton of games at once. I have about 10 games downloaded at anyone time and just uninstall them when I am done playing. They are always ready to reinstall if you ever get the itch to play them again and the saves are on the cloud so don't take up hardware storage.

You might as well wait till after Christmas when prices will likely drop again once we are out of holiday season. Also, unless you are really cost conscious, might as well get the Xbox One X as the Xbox One S is pretty much going to be obsolete in a year or so. Of course, the X-box One X retails at around $500 but is the first console that truly plays 4k although the games themselves haven't quite caught up to the console.

Obsolete because new games will soon all be 4k?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I’m sure all future games will be in 4K but will work in the regular console without 4K benefits

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
720p is still used quite a bit.

A person might buy a 4k TV, but they likely will still own a number of other displays and devices. So really, in 2017, 4K/UHD is a gimmick for MOST releases. It's likely we'll see games and movies in 2 years that look better in 1080p than today's 4K games because the tech hurdles will be chipped away and optimizations will be present. More is better, but my point is even lower resolutions benefit from technological progression.

4K is still an early adopter tech and the displays are still considerably less reliable and are somewhat power hungry. Says the guy who owns a number of UHD devices since 2014.

High refresh and draw distances are really the superior experience in gaming over resolution. Once large form factor UHD 75Hz+ displays that match today's power usage from an HD TV of similar size wind up making up 30% of new TV/monitor sales, then I would say it's basically time to take a harder stance on phasing out old displays in your home.

That being said, you can upgrade as soon as you can comfortably afford whatever, but I'm just making a point about matching a cost:benefit curve.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
720p is still used quite a bit.

A person might buy a 4k TV, but they likely will still own a number of other displays and devices. So really, in 2017, 4K/UHD is a gimmick for MOST releases. It's likely we'll see games and movies in 2 years that look better in 1080p than today's 4K games because the tech hurdles will be chipped away and optimizations will be present. More is better, but my point is even lower resolutions benefit from technological progression.

4K is still an early adopter tech and the displays are still considerably less reliable and are somewhat power hungry. Says the guy who owns a number of UHD devices since 2014.

High refresh and draw distances are really the superior experience in gaming over resolution. Once large form factor UHD 75Hz+ displays that match today's power usage from an HD TV of similar size wind up making up 30% of new TV/monitor sales, then I would say it's basically time to take a harder stance on phasing out old displays in your home.

That being said, you can upgrade as soon as you can comfortably afford whatever, but I'm just making a point about matching a cost:benefit curve.

So what you are saying is that I made the right choice sticking with my 1080 P Sony for the time being.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
So what you are saying is that I made the right choice sticking with my 1080 P Sony for the time being.

You're not missing much right now. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful to watch things in 4K, but the amount of 4K content that actually changes the experience is still slim. I like it most on my desktop monitor because I do tile applications. But other than that, you would really want to play specific games. Simply having content =/= content you are actually interested in. ie: More people would rather play Breath of the Wild in faux 1080p than Assassins Creed Origins. Both are great games and ACO looks beautiful, just not much return on investment right now to put up the extra thousand or so for an proper entry level 4K setup.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obsolete because new games will soon all be 4k?

No I mean in terms of the power of the console itself. Most of the games right now can't take advantage of the power of the Xbox One X and play games in 4K but in a years time or so I would expect there to be more games that are 4K ready.

If you are playing the 360 right now despite being a few years in on the Xbox One then maybe you won't mind playing at lower resolution so it depends on what you want. If you are moving just because they aren't making much games and offering as much support for 360 but don't really go gaga over enhanced graphics then Xbox One S is probably fine.

If you are moving up because you want the best possible gaming experience then better off just getting the Xbox One X as it is currently the most powerful console on the market.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks. We don't need and can't afford the latest and greatest, so I guess the One S will do. We held out this long with 360 lol. My wife takes forever to finish a game so I've tried not to be in a rush.

Edit: Ooops, I should have made this thread in the gaming forum.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thanks. We don't need and can't afford the latest and greatest, so I guess the One S will do. We held out this long with 360 lol. My wife takes forever to finish a game so I've tried not to be in a rush.

Edit: Ooops, I should have made this thread in the gaming forum.

Godamnit Tater...

:hitler:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I can tell you that the PS4 pro that I got for last christmas was an awesome gift that doesn't get used nearly as much as it should

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well we finally picked a One S up last night. Now I looking for game recommendations. I'll be getting a sports game for myself, but I'm looking for something my wife would like too. Remy and others recommended Dragon Age for 360 and we loved it. Also liked games like Skyrim and Oblivion. Any have a recommendation for something similar? A coop game we could play on the same console that's not too complicated for her would also be great also.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Not really worth it on ebay after fees and shipping costs.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been watching some reviews, anyone have thoughts on Fallout 4 and/or The Witcher?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've been watching some reviews, anyone have thoughts on Fallout 4 and/or The Witcher?

The Witcher is awesome.... and if you/your wife enjoyed Dragon's Age I think you would enjoy Witcher.

I liked Fallout 4... but that one will get you mixed reactions here.... I would recommend it after Witcher.