Is Loggains a good or bad OC?

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
The calls I don't like are the stretch plays to Jordan Howard on 1st down. I would bring Loggains back though because he's young and will get better at calling a game, especially with no Fox. It would also be huge for Trubs development to remain in the same system. However, if we can get a good offensive coach that also calls the plays, a la Mike McCarthy or Sean Payton, it would be best so we don't keep changing the system on Mitch. I firmly believe Trubisky can be a top 5 QB if he can stay in the same system. Look how long it's taken to get him comfortable in this one and he's just beginning to scratch the surface. Next year he has to start over and learn a new system. We don't want what happened to Cutler to happen again with Mitch.

The new coach will also need time to learn how to best use Mitch also. What his strengths and weaknesses are, how to take advantage of his athleticism. Hopefully Ryan Pace has a good plan.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow - This was a well executed game plan against a defense that while banged up, was not a bottom feeder in any stretch.

Let me list the excuses I'm hearing:

Should not run Howard on stretch plays - you do realize he ran for 147..
Should not run throw slants - Yet 4 weeks ago, people were complaining that we do not throw them...
The Bangles are a poor defense - Headed into the game they were 10th in points against, 16th in Yard, so not exactly a terrible defense...
The Bangles were injured - what f*cking team including the Bears are not dealing with injuries at this point in the season...

This was a well balanced game plan that finally showcased some of the young talent like Trubisky, Cohen, Shaheen, and Jackson.

Something clicked this week, and it was refreshing to see, but some of you dicklickers would rather be negitive.

I for one, am again hopeful for next year. We may go out and lay an egg against the Lions, but until then I'm giving the Hobbit his credit.

Well done Mr. Hobbit!

Could it of been passing on 1st down?? just taking a wild stab at it ...

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I think he has some innovative plays but every once in a while tries to get too cute....sometimes you just have to challenge your line to take the fight to them and punch them in the mouth

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't forget why Duh-well is here in the first place - his history with Jay"-Low" Cutler.

It's not like the Bears went out and got one of the bright young minds; rather, they went looking for one of the few coaches out there willing to kiss the jay-hole's a-hole . . .

. . . Has "No-gains" Loggains shown enough with that opportunity to justify and further shots? The guy is 13-and-32 just like John Fox, "Vaunted" Vic, Ryan Pace, and the rest of them bums . . .

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
After the way he called todays game was so different, it seems obvious Fox had him handcuffed and let him loose today.

Or it could just be that Trubisky is learning and can now execute more plays and execute them better than before. I honestly didn't see a drastic change in the plays called. I saw a drastic change in Trubisky's processing and ability to make the right decision.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or it could just be that Trubisky is learning and can now execute more plays and execute them better than before. I honestly didn't see a drastic change in the plays called. I saw a drastic change in Trubisky's processing and ability to make the right decision.

You can't be serious. They called a lot of slants and seams. Something they almost never did in the past games.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Lol, they threw the ball 30 times, including more on first down than ever before during this season. They also threw with the lead, something they also hadn’t done before during this season. They also threw it on First and Goal from the 1, something they damn sure wouldn’t have done earlier this season. They also threw quick passes to get the ball in their playmakers’ hands more, and threw more slants.

All of those things are a big part of why the offense looked so good Sunday. And literally all of those things are things the Bears rarely or never did leading into yesterday.

Separately, I heard the radio guys chalking it up to the Bengals being “a god awful team”. Really? Because the Bears have played several worse teams this year with nothing even remotely close to the results from Sunday. And the Bengals defense is in the top half of the league. That ain’t it.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
They also ran shotgun all game. Not sure how you did not really see a difference in play calling and formations and personal. Heck they even used Cohen. Heck they even used Cohen as a decoy..

Reactions: Myk

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubiski had a quote from a press conference earlier this year after a decent offensive game that I think points to Fox handcuffing the offense. I think the question was something to the effect of are the coaches trusting you more with the offense. His response was something like yeah I think I’ve gained the coaches trust a little more. Fox is letting us do more in the offense.

I wish I had a video of it but I don’t remember what game it was after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The only inspired play calling I’ve seen this year was yesterday and the 1st half of the Detroit game. That’s pathetic.

Madden

Liked Posts:
He's not the worst Bears OC but he's been way too inconsistent and predictable. The whole run, run, pass thing went on way too long. In theory he was trying to create short down and distance, but that actually hurt Trubisky because it was so damn predictable - yet he kept doing it when it was failing repeatedly. Plus ignoring Cohen, Shaheen and Wright for way too long. Also the offense commits an insane amount of penalties which just kill drives. And not calling any slants, draws, screens, rollouts, or easy checkdowns for Mitch until recently.

I know everyone is on a high from the Bengals game, but the rest of the season the offense has been BAD. It seems like Loggains does make some adjustments but only after like 4 games in a row of sucking. Then he reverts back into some stupid plays and strategy like having our best players on the sidelines during a final 4th quarter drive of a close game.

I'd really like to know if Fox limits him in any way. Fox should really stay away from offensive strategies and let the OC do his job. I think Loggains knows he's gone next year, so now he's saying "fuck it" and finally opening things up for Mitch. He's basically auditioning for other teams now so he can land a job next year. When hiring OC's I don't think teams care about the running game. It's all about how they can work with the QB and get the most out of them and the passing game.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Don't forget why Duh-well is here in the first place - his history with Jay"-Low" Cutler.

It's not like the Bears went out and got one of the bright young minds; rather, they went looking for one of the few coaches out there willing to kiss the jay-hole's a-hole . . .

. . . Has "No-gains" Loggains shown enough with that opportunity to justify and further shots? The guy is 13-and-32 just like John Fox, "Vaunted" Vic, Ryan Pace, and the rest of them bums . . .

Suckler recommended Loggains to Fox and lobbied hard for him that offseason when he got hired.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Just mentioned it on another thread but the only saving grace for Loggains has been his red zone play calling.

He's been quite creative when we've got close to the End Zone and had good results in that area, which makes me wonder why he's been so predictable everywhere else?

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
I think when he is free to call plays, he is fairly innovative. I'd be ok with him and Fangio coming back. Special Teams and Head Coach need to be replaced.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
We were missing more starters than the Bengals were.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
To get Loggains and Fangio to come back means firing Fox now and promoting one of them to try. Otherwise they go or stay with Fox after the season.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
At this point i would say bad. We will see next year if he gets a new job, and performs well. Then we can confirm it was fox that was holding him back.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
The play calling was better against the Bungles of course. And the receivers executed far better.
But a lot of the bad play calling was still in the game. And bad play design has been a signature all season until this last game.
Right now Loggains is below average and even if next year he reaches average to above. There are better OCs out there.
I just really have no confidence the Bears organization can find them.