Is Loggains a good or bad OC?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's see now...........

Pace was forced to take Fox as a HC

Loggains has been forced by Fox to run an ultra conservative game plan.........

Seems like an awfully convenient narrative.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
As a nobody couch jockey I can only offer up useless opinion but here goes....

Even though the offense put up numbers the play calling to me was average at best. And I will forever bash Loggains for repeatedly running a Slasher like Howard to the side line with sweep/stretch plays multiple times in a game when that play requires speed to the edge and that is Cohen. And the Center can barely get out on the block.
Unless someone can validate to me with something other than (ew they won't expect the same play multiple times a game for every game simply because you used a different back)

Against the hapless Bungles the First sweep they ran Cohen (shockingly) and it was a TD had he not barely stepped out. Then the TD came with Howard slashing. Exactly like a grown up OC would call it. But then you see them later sweep Howard for a -1 yd and later Howard for 0 yds. You can (to quote ValX) "Literally" see Howard's sadness emanating from him as he trots to the sideline on those sweeps knowing there are zero cutback lanes that he might use to his advantage.

The sweep calls are bad mostly due to the fact that the Center often can barely get to the edge to beat the defense to it. So if Cohen does hit the edge fast the blocking is barely there. That play would be better off as a play action to set up clearing out the LBers for a slant or drag route from the opposite side.

Just an example of play calling and assignments that seem bad to me. Which is why I don't like Loggains. And honestly that is basic shit imo. Let alone having a creative genius at OC.

Upgrade!

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Even though the offense put up numbers the play calling to me was average at best. And I will forever bash Loggains for repeatedly running a Slasher like Howard to the side line with sweep/stretch plays multiple times in a game when that play requires speed to the edge and that is Cohen. And the Center can barely get out on the block.
Unless someone can validate to me with something other than (ew they won't expect the same play multiple times a game for every game simply because you used a different back)

Against the hapless Bungles the First sweep they ran Cohen (shockingly) and it was a TD had he not barely stepped out. Then the TD came with Howard slashing. Exactly like a grown up OC would call it. But then you see them later sweep Howard for a -1 yd and later Howard for 0 yds. You can (to quote ValX) "Literally" see Howard's sadness emanating from him as he trots to the sideline on those sweeps knowing there are zero cutback lanes that he might use to his advantage.

The sweep calls are bad mostly due to the fact that the Center often can barely get to the edge to beat the defense to it. So if Cohen does hit the edge fast the blocking is barely there. That play would be better off as a play action to set up clearing out the LBers for a slant or drag route from the opposite side.

Just an example of play calling and assignments that seem bad to me. Which is why I don't like Loggains. And honestly that is basic shit imo. Let alone having a creative genius at OC.

Upgrade!

Not to mention, how many play action bootlegs do they run off that play? They aren't using Trubs, Cohen, or Shaheen's athleticism.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Upgrade!

I don't do all 22 but there must be something about our alignments that is tipping off Ds to what's about to be run. That and after so many sweeps have gone dislike this year, we haven't tweaked it in some way. It's troubling the way that seemingly every team can slide and fill so effectively.

Before this year, I had thought Loggains showed some promise and even though he's been handcuffed, I've changed my perspective as the O hasn't progressed and as Ds see more of it, it get worse. We didn't fool anyone today. We just played better. I don't think he sucks but I'd strive for better.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
How would we know?

It seems he's probably fine, but I think people would be lying if they said they knew for sure one way or another. We speculate on these boards during good games on whether Loggains was uncuffed or what, and during bad games, we speculate that Fox held Loggains' hand behind his back. Whether that's true or not, it's all bullshit message board speculation.

We don't fucking know and probably won't ever, unless Loggains gets on somewhere else, indisputably puts together an offense, calls the plays and has success over a sustained number of games.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
He's garbage. People are overreacting to one game against a shitty team.

This right here.

The bengals didn't show up. You saw it on their first drive when AJ Green stopped a route (and Fuller still couldn't pick it off,) and Green took the day off.

Half of their defensive playmakers were out or playing injured. Howard and Cohen don't run all over the damn place if a healthy Geno Atkins lined up against Tom Compton for 40+ plays, or if that asshole Burfict was roaming the middle of their field (and headhunting)/ Their star rookie RB was out with a concussion.

If they do this against the Lions, Browns, and Vikings--these idiot fans will have much more of an argument. But Marvin Lewis is probably one of the few guys right now that can out-stupid John Fox. He did just that and with that, one of the dumbest fanbases in sports has to try and make an argument that a vanilla playcaller that's gotten pantsed time and time again isn't such a bad playcaller after all because of one game.......

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't think teams actually give up. That's mostly sports media/fan bullshit.

I do think locker rooms become toxic, and a feeling of malaise can fall over a bad team late in the season, but that's different than giving up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't think teams actually give up. That's mostly sports media/fan bullshit.

I do think locker rooms become toxic, and a feeling of malaise can fall over a bad team late in the season, but that's different than giving up.

The Bengals clearly had nothing to play for and it showed.

Former Bengal Cris Collinsworth pointed out last night that any hope thr Bengals had were gone after Monday’s game vs Pittsburgh. And they played like they knew it.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Former Bengal Cris Collinsworth pointed out last night that any hope thr Bengals had were gone after Monday’s game vs Pittsburgh. And they played like they knew it.

Wrong. They are out of the race after losing yesterday and they had plenty to play for in the game.

Reactions: Myk

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s no secret that Loggains loves to pass. Even with bums like Hoyer and Barkley, he was throwing it constantly. Some people may have forgotten, but many fans were screaming for Loggains to run it more with Howard. This has obviously not been Loggains offense this season, and he’s hinted at it many times in various press conferences.

After the Ravens game...

Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains was asked Wednesday what rookie tight end Adam Shaheen had to do to get involved in the passing game.

“Um, we don’t need to run the ball 50 times and only call 17 passes,” Loggains said. “That’s a big part of it.”

Fox should have been canned awhile ago. Mitch would probably be further along in his development.

Reactions: Myk

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bengals were missing five starters on D, including 3 DBs.

How many on offense? How many starters did we have missing on Defense?

Demps, Amos (backup), Mcphee, Floyd, Young, Freeman, Goldman, Urien....did I miss any? How about offense? White, Meredith, Miller, Long and his back up? So please quit talking about injuries in every post.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That's fine and all but what about the Bear? I sure won't excuse them for being out of it. That swings both ways or not at all.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Wow - This was a well executed game plan against a defense that while banged up, was not a bottom feeder in any stretch.

Let me list the excuses I'm hearing:

Should not run Howard on stretch plays - you do realize he ran for 147..
Should not run throw slants - Yet 4 weeks ago, people were complaining that we do not throw them...
The Bangles are a poor defense - Headed into the game they were 10th in points against, 16th in Yard, so not exactly a terrible defense...
The Bangles were injured - what f*cking team including the Bears are not dealing with injuries at this point in the season...

This was a well balanced game plan that finally showcased some of the young talent like Trubisky, Cohen, Shaheen, and Jackson.

Something clicked this week, and it was refreshing to see, but some of you dicklickers would rather be negitive.

I for one, am again hopeful for next year. We may go out and lay an egg against the Lions, but until then I'm giving the Hobbit his credit.

Well done Mr. Hobbit!

Liked Posts:
Depends on the situation. I think if he were the OC of a team like the run heavy offense/defense first team,49ers during the Harbaugh years, that actually had the talent when a guy like Loggaines were hired to be their OC he'd be ok. Or at least he wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb along with Fox. Unfortunately with the Bears, talent wise, this isn't that mentioned situation, the Bears do need coaches who can gameplan their way to some wins.

Loggaines isn't good or better, he's not the worst either, he's forgettable.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
The Hobbit is a cross between John Shoop and the OC version of Mel Tucker. One good game does not change this fact.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
His play calling this season until yesterday, has been worthy of being fired out of a cannon from the middle of Soldier Field. I firmly believe that this team has been hampered and held back by the coaching, and Fangio is the only one who retains any credibility at all. I couldn't see any of the rest being employed in their current roles elsewhere.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Let's see now...........

Pace was forced to take Fox as a HC

Loggains has been forced by Fox to run an ultra conservative game plan.........

Seems like an awfully convenient narrative.
It's only convenient because it's the most rational explanation based on the initial reports that came out.

I could see how fans of irrrationality would find this too convenient.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk