Top Coaching / Draft / Free Agent Targets

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
Was going to make a seperate thread for each but just decided to lump them altogether. So beware it's kinda lengthy.

Coaching:

d5557c84d2bb8aef5fa109bb683719fc.jpg

5. John Defilippo

Carson Wentz appears to be on his way to super stardom and Defilippo is the man behind it all. Hiring Defilippo would be going all in on developing Trubisky. What worries me is that head coach may be a little overwhelming for Defilippo, he is a much better fit at offensive coordinator.

63114955a403947d059ed3fa0a19d684.jpg

4. Pete Carmichael Jr.

The Saints offense has been elite for over a decade. Carmichael has been one of the masterminds behind that unit. What I like most about Carmichael is his ability to effectively use both the run and pass game. When you think of the saints you usually don't think of them as a good run team. But they've been able to utilize some pretty mediocre backs like Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Chris Ivory. Now that they have some real talent at running back in Ingram and Kamara, just look at them tear defenses apart.

0b8ac89347e961955ebcb8ec92b07fc5.jpg

3. John Morton

Talk about doing a lot with little. Many believed the Jets could've gone 0-16 this season. But Morten has turned a bunch of nobodies into one of the better offenses in football. Josh McCown is pro-bowl bound and guys like Robby Anderson and Bilal Powell have shredded opposing defenders.

89e737f9ebe8798b79badf3d7028add7.jpg

2. Matt Nagy

Nagy is a disciple of the great Andy Reid and has the Chiefs looking like one of the more dynamic offenses in the NFL. Nagy knows how to utilize his weapons. Teams seem to have no answers when it comes to stopping Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Kareem Hunt.

4ca6acd89558e02fd734aa7b496c5c6e.jpg

1. Jim Harbaugh

A man can dream can't he? This is unlikely but Harbaugh is in my opinion the best coaching option. Remember when Colin Kaepernick was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL and the 49ers were a Superbowl contenders? Those 49ers team were led by none other than
Jim Harbaugh. His firing is still controversial to this day.

Draft:

1st Round

7c9f6b3e44be0b1d1784fa62deae36d4.jpg

6. (OT) Orlando Brown - Oklahoma

Brown is a mammoth of a man at 6'8 and 350 pounds. Brown absolutely dominates in the run game and also had the quickness to be solid in pass protection. He's probably a better fit at right tackle than at left. If it wasn't for this stacked offensive line draft, Brown would be a top 10 pick.

Projection: Late first, early second

b0ece6e1b42922744aeefe46d4667fa2.jpg

5. (WR) Christian Kirk - Texas A&M

Explosive, shifty, speedy, elusive, and dangerous are just a few words that describe the Aggies star wide receiver Christian Kirk. The best deep threat this draft will have to offer. Kirk's speed is a force to be reckoned with on jet sweeps and screens. Just imagine having this guy and Cohen on the field at the same time.

Projection: Late first, early second

34586dfc93b2c08bf16861950840a8b8.jpg

4. (CB) Josh Jackson - Iowa

Jackson had a breakout season in 2017. The 6'1 Hawkeye's corner had 47 tackles, 14 pass breakups, and 7 interceptions his junior year. The Bears need a corner that can lock down whoever is lined up across from him. Jackson could certainly be that kind of player.

Projection: Top 20

203ad184f7e06c339ae50dce9c2d072b.jpg

3. (WR) Calvin Ridley - Alabama

Probably the safest receiver in the draft. Although guys like Sutton, and Washington have the potential to be elite, they also have a good chance to be busts. Ridley may not have that same potential, but his floor is extremely high. At worst he turns into a Jarvis Landry level player. He's got great hands and runs the best routes I've seen from a college player in a long time.

Projection: Top 15

cce3ae3532d97ccb34e607d57ab5d62a.jpg

2. (DB) Minkah Fitzpatrick - Alabama

The best defensive back in this draft, Fitzpatrick provides versatility like none other. He can play free safety, strong safety, corner, and nickelback. He is the type of player defensive coordinators dream of. He could provide that playmaker in the secondary the Bears desperately need.

Projection: Top 10

c03ee0082c49c2be1c5cb79a849b96ff.jpg

1. (EDGE) Bradley Chubb - NC State

Chubb is the best pass rusher in this draft. He could definitely be gone by the time the Bears pick. But if he does fall, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pace scoop him up.

Projection: Top 5

Some other guys the Bears could use: Clelin Ferrell, Harold Landry, Arden Key, James Washington, Dorance Armstrong, Quenton Nelson, Connor Williams, Mike McGlinchey, Courtland Sutton.

2nd Round

b9b3f526c9a0253393a93de536dcbb18.jpg

5. (EDGE) Austin Bryant - Clemson

Bryant is a big part of the ferocious Clemson defense. Bryant is long and athletic with killer quickness off the snap. He would fit in nicely next to Goldman and Hicks.

545abae3b27ff3ddafb1084aed264b0d.jpg

4. (WR) Simmie Cobbs Jr. - Indiana

This man just could not be stopped. His 6'4 frame makes it hard to do so. Cobbs stepped his game game up during the Hoosiers game against Ohio State. Cobbs routinely beat top cornerback Denzel Ward, which leads me to believe he could do the same to top corners in the NFL.

c162e1bf199fe4fcff96dd048c1e92a5.jpg

3. (DL) Da'Shawn Hand - Alabama

Where Hand will land on draft day seems to be uncertain as of now. I've seen him mocked anywhere between the first and fifth rounds. Matter of the fact is that Hand has been a solid lineman against the best competition college football has to offer.

5cd825e3eb8b177776499080b422f11a.jpg

2. (WR) Deon Cain - Clemson

Cain is 6'2 with some nice speed. He has been a force since his freshman year on some really good Clemson teams.

45439e6de943de8b8bf11b92cdcace3f.jpg

1. (EDGE) Lorenzo Carter - Georgia

Are we sure this isn't Leonard Floyd's long lost brother? Carter is nearly a carbon copy of former bulldog Leonard Floyd. They both share speed, size, and uber athleticism. Pairing them both in the NFL would be a treat to watch.

Later Round Sleepers

7c7e53c78261ba76934079d3c8baa33f.jpg

5. (CB) Adonis Alexander - Virginia Tech

Alexander certainly has the length to be elite in the NFL. What worries me most is that his stats have gotten worse and worse every year he's been in college

4f673b72bad5f4de026455ce38c7ffd2.jpg

4. (LB) Nyles Morgan - Notre Dame

Not an incredible athlete, but Morgan has practically everything else. He's got great instincts, good coverage skills, great against the run, and hits like a truck.

1725ddcfd13729e30bd254e03d5ccf4c.jpg

3. (OT) Geron Christian - Louisville

Lamar Jackson will be the first to tell you how good this guy is. Standing at 6'6 320, Christian could be a nice find in later rounds.

4ff483f447d8666558e8e8a52c8c03f5.jpg

2. (CB) Donte Jackson - LSU

Expect good numbers from Jackson at the combine later this year. Jackson has blazing speed and insane athleticism. He is pretty short at 5'11, and has been known to make mistakes in coverage. But those things can be taught, speed can't.

cd6dcbfb4bf6d38a808d70102af13c44.jpg

1. (WR) Equanimeous St Brown - Notre Dame

After an incredible 2016, many thought St Brown was the top receiver in college football. However, in 2017 Notre Dame shifted to a run first offense behind Brandon Wimbush and Josh Adams, so his production dropped significantly. St Brown is 6'4 and consistently wins the 50/50 ball, something the Bears desperately need.

Free Agency:

aec07ebb8e0e5638d8e3ddab49de403c.jpg

5. (EDGE) Alex Okafor - Saints

An achilles injury cut Okafor's season short. But he made his presence felt with 4.5 sacks in 2017. Okafor would be a nice addition to a lacking Bears pass rush.

f7b1e18dd4a9638a55b0d03e6c299a59.jpg

4. (WR) Allen Robinson - Jaguars

Robinson has the potential to be a true number 1 receiver. He's not too far removed from a 1,400 yard and 14 touchdown season. So what's the catch? Robinson has had his share of injury problems including and ACL injury. He's a high risk/high reward signing.

1444a7c3354244649dab48ba964145eb.jpg

3. (CB) Trumaine Johnson - Rams

Johnson is a pretty young corner who can be plugged into any defense and succeed. Johnson has elite size and strength and is the best corner that will hit the market this off season.

5ceaadd63ad01a06aa66f658ce0e0c7a.jpg

2. (WR) Paul Richardson - Seahawks

The lengthy seahawks receiver has had a breakout year in 2017. But just like Robinson, he has struggled to stay healthy so far in his career.

7472bf7a7f79ca2a9feaf16b6ca3f9c1.jpg

1. (WR) Jarvis Landry - Dolphins

Signing Landry would be grabbing a pro-bowl caliber receiver. Unlike Robinson and Richardson, Landry's had a short injury history. Since Landry's rookie season, he has pulled in a mind boggling 368 receptions, which is behind only Antonio Brown and Julio Jones. Yes, Landry is mostly a slot receiver, but he does that job better than most other guys in the NFL.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jbd

Liked Posts:
I would love to see hometown great cb jackson play for the bears....me and my old man, lifelong bears and hawkeyes fans....have been clamoring for jackson all year for the bears....this would be a fantastic pickup for chicago. He is a shutdown cb with great ball skills..not to mention he has a knack for pick sixes!

i didnt read the whole list but id also like to have that first prospect..the mammoth OT. immediate upgrade and you cant teach size.

jbd

Liked Posts:
i would also love any big, physical and talented wr...yar

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Some interesting options thank you.

FA: - The focus should be on WR as you've indicated. I don't think the Bears will go after Landry. I believe they will be content with Meredith and Wright working the slot and costing far less. However I do believe that we need better outside options.

If I am Pace I go after one of Watkins, Robinson or Gordon and also Paul Richardson. Normally I wouldn't advocate 2 WRs but that position is the strength of FA and Bears need to fill OLB and OT needs in the draft.

WR: Josh Gordon, Paul Richardson, Cameron Meredith, Kendall Wright, Dontrelle Inman, Kevin White

The above is a WR core that would be pretty exciting to watch and would give Trubisky all the weapons he needs to succeed especially with the slow (due to the coaches imo) but emerging threat of Shaheen at TE in the passing game and two headed monster that is Howard (how fcuking good is he) and Cohen.

Draft:

For me the Bears almost have to go OLB in the first round though Minkah Fitzpatrick is a definite consideration given his range of skills. Orlando Brown in the 2nd would be a dream but unlikely. 4th round I am looking for another CB on account of the fact I'd cut Marcus Cooper and perhaps a WR if the value was there. OG could be useful as well.

Coach:

Whoever the next Sean McVay is (combined with an aggressive DC like Pagano or Pettine) though if the Bears actually play like they did today going forward we'll probably find ourselves with Fox again!

I'd love to know if Fox finally let Loggains 'off the leash' today. It was the most well balanced play calling we've seen all season for the duration of an entire game. If they'd done this all season Fox would still have a job next season. I doubt he has now.

I'd love to know

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
In the draft in the 1st round I'd definitely be looking at Bradley Chubb and Clelin Ferrell at OLB in the first or Fitzpatrick (S/CB). If the Bears win another then Ferrell stands the most chance of being the pick I'd have thought.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For the love of fucking god can people wake the fuck up and realize we also need an inside linebacker. FFS even after seeing Tre eat shit to injury and Freeman get suspended a 2nd time for 10 games you fuckers can't even admit its a need.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Surprised to see Arden Key omitted from the list

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
For the love of fucking god can people wake the fuck up and realize we also need an inside linebacker. FFS even after seeing Tre eat shit to injury and Freeman get suspended a 2nd time for 10 games you fuckers can't even admit its a need.

R.Smith from Georgia should be available

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see who the Bears hire as the new head coach, and what style of defense he will want to play. If we stay with the 3-4, we definitely need another outside backer. But what happen if we shift to a 4-3? Plus, this team has so many holes, that I still believe you draft the BPA in round one.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Trumaine Johnson would HUGE. No way Les Snead let's him walk though.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Trumaine Johnson would HUGE. No way Les Snead let's him walk though.

Yeah I think Malcolm Butler is going to be the only true #1 CB available in FA. He'll cost more than Gilmore last year.

There are a few others, Bashaud Breeland and EJ Gaines come to mind, but I'm not sure they're much better than Fuller and Prince.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
For coaching I'd like Reich as HC, DeFillpo as OC, and Fangio if he stays at DC or whoever Reich likes there (not going to get Wade Phillips, but a man can dream. It will probably be Pettine in that case).

FA Jarvis Landry
Draft Chubb and find an ILB that can start opposite Danny T (Kwitkowski just won't happen).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think they need a major upgrade at ILB, just a vet who can do a serviceable job and is oriented toward pass coverage. Jones and Kwat are both good in run, not so good in pass coverage.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
John DeFilippo, come on down!

How John DeFilippo rose the ranks to become Browns offensive coordinator
Coach’s son ‘has a gift,’ former bosses say

John DeFilippo sips a Diet Pepsi in his corner office at the Cleveland Browns facility. He wears a dark sweater, sharp khaki slacks and shiny brown shoes – an uncommon look in the sweat pants world of coaching.

A chart on his computer details an elaborate formation. Two weeks into the job, DeFilippo is knee deep in revamping the way the Browns play football on offense.

How do you become a 36-year-old offensive coordinator in the NFL?

You cultivate meaningful relationships. You visibly show players they can trust what you are teaching. You take chances.

You do what DeFilippo did.

DeFilippo’s coaching career began on a charter bus before he even graduated college.

His promising tenure as the starting quarterback at James Madison University – a 1-AA school nestled in the mountains of Virginia two hours south of Washington D.C. – ended with broken ribs and a collapsed lung from a nasty hit.

Instead of soaking in his last semester with friends, co-eds and parties, DeFilippo accepted his first job as quarterbacks coach at Fordham University. Every other Friday, DeFilippo would board a bus, forego his weekend and arrive in The Bronx seven slippery hours later.

It’s no secret the coaching business is heavy on connections. DeFilippo fascinated Fordham head coach Dave Clawson when the two worked high school summer football camps together at Villanova – where DeFilippo’s dad, Gene, was the athletic director.

Clawson’s plan for the 22-year-old DeFilippo was to spoon-feed the first-time coach – let him observe, give him minimal input in the game plan and assist with menial but necessary tasks in running a college football team.

That plan quickly was torn to shreds and tossed out of the window.

"You could tell right away he was going to be on to bigger things,” Clawson said. “John has a gift.”

DeFilippo instantly took command. He was up in the front of the classroom intricately explaining how a certain play call in the first quarter would manipulate the defense later in the game. He was helping push quarterbacks to the brink in the weight room. He was eating with players in the dining hall. “Flip,” as he’s called by those close to him, was everywhere.

Driven to turn around a Fordham program that had won 20 games in the previous 10 years combined, DeFilippo demanded excellence while also coming across as genuine. This wasn’t a first-time coach being tough for no reason. He was going to coach every little detail the only way he knew how.

Fordham freshman quarterback Kevin Eakin wasn’t as sold on DeFilippo as everyone else.

A promising recruit from Florida, Eakin was predicted to be the player who would lift Fordham from irrelevancy. The problem? DeFilippo’s coaching wasn’t getting through to him.

“I was a knucklehead,” Eakin said. “I thought I was going to be really good.”

Said Clawson: “We didn’t know if Kevin was going to make it to his sophomore year. He just didn’t care enough about football.”

The tense, boiling waters Eakin created spilled onto the practice field in the middle of the season. After Eakin had once again been goofing around, DeFilippo stopped practice.

“Do you know how much potential you are wasting?” Eakin recalled DeFilippo shouting at him. “If you keep sleepwalking through this process, you will never see the field. EVER.”

The public callout was a bold tactic from DeFilippo, but it was just what Eakin needed. The quarterback led Fordham to 17 wins during his junior and senior seasons, set multiple school records and got invited to New York Jets training camp – basically unheard of for a Fordham product. He later bounced around NFL Europe, Canada and the Arena Football League.

“Coach Flip planted the seed in me for my success,” Eakin said. “He knew exactly how to push my buttons.”

After one season at Fordham, DeFilippo was on to Notre Dame to become a graduate assistant.

“I told Kevin Rogers, Notre Dame’s offensive coordinator,” Clawson said. “If you get John, you are getting a rising star.”

U-Haul trucks and rearranging furniture were a large part of DeFilippo’s childhood.

In the mid-80s, Gene DeFilippo hung up the coaching headset to pursue a career as an athletic director. Various college positions – Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Kentucky and Villanova -- had the DeFilippo family of five crisscrossing the country.

John tagged along with Gene to victorious locker room celebrations, to snowy practice fields, to faraway bowl games. For John, football has always been life.

“I can honestly say I had the best childhood of anybody out there,” John said.

But Gene was always a public figure. At school and the grocery store, John heard the whispers about his dad’s job security and others bad-mouthing the college programs he led.

“Those are difficult things for a kid,” John said. “It made me grow up quickly.”

It was 2009, nine years since DeFilippo began his coaching journey at Fordham, and the 31-year-old was seriously questioning if his dreams were dying a slow and painful death.

After steadily climbing up the ladder – from graduate assistant at Notre Dame to quality control coordinator with the New York Giants – DeFilippo latched onto Lane Kiffin’s staff with the Oakland Raiders as the quarterbacks coach from 2007-08.

The Kiffin era in Oakland was sour from the start. There were disagreements within the organization as to whether to draft quarterback JaMarcus Russell. And there was an impatient owner in Al Davis.

After the 2008 season, the Raiders let go of their entire staff. DeFilippo was scrambling for a job and ultimately landed on his feet with the New York Jets as the assistant quarterbacks coach.

“My job was a glorified quality control guy,” DeFilippo said. “I didn’t know why I was in New York. I was grinding, working ungodly hours. I kept saying prayers. I’m here for some reason. There’s a reason I’m here.”

And then DeFilippo met Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

“Who was this extraordinarily bright, witty bald man?” DeFilippo said he thought when he first met Pettine. When DeFilippo had a chance to breathe between other duties, he would pop into a defensive meeting. He was in awe of Pettine.

“Mike had unbelievable control of the room,” DeFilippo said. “He had this knack for being stern with players, but also not tuning players out. He knows the defense inside and out, and has a solution for every problem. It was incredible.”

Pettine has an affinity for coaches’ kids and started conversing with DeFilippo on a daily basis, fishing for DeFilippo’s opinions on opposing offenses or even just the headlines of the day. Their chemistry as friends was binding.

“A lot of times we'd look over on the offensive side and in the little area where the coaches were, his light would be the only one on,” Pettine said. “We spent a lot of late nights in New York talking football. That's when I knew this guy had something to him.”

The year with the Jets hadn’t been a waste after all for DeFilippo. The next season, he found himself back in control of a quarterback room at San Jose State. Three weeks into the season, head coach Mike MacIntyre recognized how vociferously DeFilippo handled the offense and gave him play-calling duties.

Year 2 with San Jose State is when DeFilippo leapt from the elevator lobby to the penthouse in terms of experience. Stocked with the new title of offensive coordinator, DeFilippo was an outside-of-the-box game-planner and an esteemed speaker in front of the team, unafraid of quizzing his players in an open forum.

“John will laugh and he’ll get along with the players – but he’ll get after them, too,” MacIntyre said. “His players will notice his intensity and attention to detail.”

In an ESPN Friday night showdown against Hawaii, DeFilippo’s forward-thinking came to fruition. Trailing 27-21 with no timeouts, 1:10 left on the clock and 80 yards to go, DeFilippo helped guide quarterback Matt Faulkner past midfield with intermediate routes toward the sideline.

DeFilippo wanted the kill shot.

Like he sensed, Hawaii slid its coverage to protect the sidelines, hoping to tackle a Spartan receiver in-bounds. Instead, DeFilippo called for a deep dig route up the middle of the field. Hawaii’s safeties were completely out of position, Faulkner hit wide receiver Chandler Jones in stride and the San Jose student section stormed the field after an improbable 28-27 victory.

“Sometimes,” DeFilippo said, “you’ve got to take that gamble.”

“That was the program-changing win for us,” said MacIntyre, who later parlayed the San Jose State job into the head coaching gig at Colorado.

A year after going 1-11, San Jose State posted a 5-7 record. The NFL started to take notice. Again, DeFilippo’s career was at crossroads. Should he stay at San Jose State, where the roster would finally be full of talented juniors and seniors and could possibly serve as a launching pad to a head coaching gig in the college ranks? Or should he return to the pinnacle of football at the professional level?

The Oakland Raiders called again. This time, it was Dennis Allen leading the charge. DeFilippo knew Oakland was $30 million over the salary cap and would have to cut a bunch of solid players. But with the Raiders, he saw radiant offensive minds in Tony Sparano and Greg Knapp. When the opportunity presented itself, he couldn’t pass up the NFL.

Quarterbacking expertise. It’s an intriguing part of DeFilippo’s background and it is a reason Pettine and the Browns chose DeFilippo to be their man.

DeFilippo’s approach throughout 15 years of coaching has remained the same: Honesty.

“Sometimes, you have to say things they don’t want to hear,” DeFilippo said. “I think as long as you keep it real and don’t blow smoke at people, you can earn respect. And they have to feel like you know what you are talking about.”

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr wasn’t afraid of DeFilippo’s truth serum.

DeFilippo saw major inconsistencies in Carr’s footwork and he strongly emphasized the basics from Day 1, even if they were monotonous. The Fresno State product was creeping up in the pocket while scanning the field, which lessened his arm strength. Carr gobbled up DeFilippo’s instructions and repeatedly asked, “what’s next?” So DeFilippo put more on his plate – an increased role in setting protections and broader concepts of the playbook.

“He handled it well,” DeFilippo said. “He can take hard coaching.”

Improving quarterback techniques and implementing the game plans aren’t DeFilippo’s only specialties. While at San Jose State, he found David Fales (now with the Chicago Bears) at Monterey Peninsula College. Because Fales had only one offer from Indiana State, DeFilippo made the 45-minute drive down to Monterey not expecting much besides a nice lunch by the beach. But from the start, DeFilippo saw potential in the 6-foot-3 Fales because of his arm strength, accuracy and character.

“He was the type of kid you want your sister to marry,” DeFilippo said.

Fales started the next year, leading San Jose State to 11 wins.

Browns assistant coaches are buzzing in and out of DeFilippo’s office. February’s main duty is getting the entire offensive staff on the same page. DeFilippo is sorting through concepts he liked from last year’s offense, integrating some of his philosophies and creating a new language.

DeFilippo’s genuine tone, his intensity and the fair way he treats people have already resonated in Berea.

“My wife always told me, ‘John DeFilippo is going to be a head coach in the NFL one day,’” MacIntyre said. “He just has all those qualities.”

Maybe one day, but DeFilippo won’t even entertain that thought at the moment.

Right now, the 36-year-old plans to execute what he’s done in all of his previous stops: From Fordham, to San Jose State, to the Oakland Raiders, his footprint was lasting; his commanding but personal style was embraced.

The same could ring true with the Cleveland Browns.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news...rdinator/f9384aa4-a655-4f34-9e02-e8ea1ebacfdf

Note the part about Flip "wanted the kill shot". Compare that to John "don't take any risks" Fox. Oh what Flip could do for this Bears team...

If Pace ends up hiring Flip, I think there's a good chance we'll see Pettine as the DC, based on Flip's comments in this article regarding Pettine.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
that was a good read. Thanks for sharing. I'm excited for the offseason to see who Pace will hire.

You're welcome. I've done a lot of research on Flip and I think he's the best match for Pace, as well as Trubs / Bears.