Thoughts and Observations Week 14: Bengals

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some thoughts from yesterday's game.

Offense

-Mitch needed a game like that. He needed to play well and win to build the confidence and validate what he has been doing. What I saw yesterday, albeit against an undermanned defense, was elite QB play. I have not seen such a clean game from a Bears QB in a long time. He was throwing with more confidence, he was accurate and for the first time I think we really saw was Mitch in a rhythm. Yesterday was not only big for Mitch it was big for the coaching search, as he is our biggest selling feature, and it was big for the recruitment of free agents, specifically at WR.

-Jordan Howard is awesome, but we need to accept that fact that he cannot catch.

-Good to see Tarik Cohen get used properly 14 touches and being on the field a lot. He was used well as a decoy on a number of runs and he looked way better running the ball. I would like to see him get in the screen game a little more, but much better use.

-I do not care what Adam Shaheen does not know, he is clearly one of the better offensive weapons you have and is consistently getting open and catching the ball. He should have had 2 TDs, but Jackson made a nice play to break up the first one. Shaheen is not Gronk, I do not think he moves like that, but he does remind me of Jason Witten with his size, hands and ability to catch contested passes. Why was he not playing consistently earlier?

-Dion Sims had a strong game by his standards, but it still seemed like everytime he would make a catch he would come back and get blown up in the running game.

-Cody Whitehair has not had as good a year as his rookie year, but yesterday we were back to dominant Whitehair. He was on the 2nd level so much that I probably commented on it to my buddy 6 different times where he had swallowed up the LB.

-Bobbie Massie and Charles Leno had a really good game, after being pretty mediocre over the losing streak. I would not spend a 1st round pick to replace either of them, but I think we need serious competition in camp next year. Serious competition also has another name and it is depth.

-I think the Bears should extend Kendall Wright, he clearly has a role in the slot and he clearly has a connection with Trubisky. He catches almost everything thrown to him and he runs really nice option routes. The impressive part is how on the same page he and Trubisky seem to be on these option routes.

-Inman was not involved, which is not surprising considering he drew William Jackson most of the game.

-I am not sure who was calling the plays yesterday. It was shocking to me to see that offense being run. It was aggressive and at times creative and was not operating scared. They used the pass to open up the run game for the first time in forever.

Defense

-Eddie Jackson had not played well and against Philly and was non descript against the 49ers, so it was really nice to see him get back on the upward path he was on before those games. Jackson is clearly a keeper and he might be really good. His strip and recovery on the sideline was an awesome play, thank god Fox challenged, and he had a very strong game in the backend.

-It is going to be for more money than we want to spend, but the Bears should do whatever they can to extend Kyle Fuller. He is playing dominant football and continues to break up passes, physically beat up opposing WRs and tackle like a LB. This is exceptional CB play and the Bears cannot afford to let a talented 25 year old player leave and thrive with another team. I would tag him if necessary.

-Yesterday was a reason I would not be in a rush to bring Prince back. The dude cannot generate a turnover if it hits him directly in the chest. This has been the story of his career and I am not sure I would rush to re-sign him if we cannot expect a couple of impact plays a year.

-I wish Bryce Callahan could stay healthy because I think he can play.

-I thought that Roy Robertson-Harris looked healthy and had a nice game. Beyond the sack there were a couple of other plays where he was really driving the OG back into the backfield. I am intrigued to continue to watch more of him and see if he can lock down a starting role heading into next season. His length is unique and it makes him a mismatch inside.

-Jonathan Bullard flashed on a number of plays and was close to a couple of sacks, but the consistency is still an issue. Some plays he looks like more than the OG can handle and others he looks like a pylon. I would like to see increased reps lead to increased consistency and a little more production on the stat sheet.

-I even saw a little something from Rashad Coward late in the game. He has a couple nice bull rushes.

-John Jenkins is not very good and backup NT is an area where the Bears could do something to upgrade.

-Howard Jones has some pass rush juice and was close to a sack on a couple of rushes and then landed a sack later. For sure someone you keep around through the offseason and see if you can steal some value. He has the physical tools they have looked for with his length.

-Good for Lamarr Houston. I have been tough on Lamarr and he was not a good signing by Phil, but glad to see him producing and showing that he is healthy. With Young and McPhee probably getting cut, maybe a cheap Houston is a veteran you bring to camp?

-You know how you know the Bengals LT sucks? Sam Acho was generating pressure.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It's going to suck when top coaching candidates refuse interviews with the Bears but rush to The Queen City.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's going to suck when top coaching candidates refuse interviews with the Bears but rush to The Queen City.

Yesterday was a big help to the coaching search.

Not sure it vaults them in front of the Colts and Giants yet.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
LOL....they can only hire one. And we will have our choice of a good candidate.

The green font is for sarcasm. Windy and I were exchanging barbs over the weekend. He knows what I mean. I disagree with Windy on certain things but I still enjoy reading his posts.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL....they can only hire one. And we will have our choice of a good candidate.

Indeed, Visionman. "Uncle" Ernie has the shoopster's full confidence . . .

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Thanks Windy.

One point that you didn't address is that Cohen had many opportunities to fair catch punts and instead allowed the ball to bounce and roll, losing at least 10 yards on punts. He needs to address that immediately.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Indeed, Visionman. "Uncle" Ernie has the shoopster's full confidence . . .

1cBeGSU.gif

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Shaheen is a beast. Sure he may not be Gronk, but Gronk is a once in a lifetime kind of player. There has never been a TE as dominant as a healthy Gronk. Don't know if you guys noticed this but Shaheen made a couple of really nice blocks in the run game as well.

Trubisky is making clear steps. I think we got the right guy; I think he's already better than Jay ever was. He's shown that he can make the same plays that Jay was capable of making while not turning the ball over.

Jackson had a couple off games in there but he's shown that he's what we've been searching for at safety: a playmaker who will make you pay for bad mistakes.

Cohen will be Darren Sproles like for years to come (barring injury)

Jordan Howard is incredible as a runner at the running back position. He isn't a good pass catcher though but it's certainly something he can improve upon. Even if he doesn't improve that skill I still would only take Leveon Bell over him (Zeke and gurley are arguable).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Shaheen is a beast. Sure he may not be Gronk, but Gronk is a once in a lifetime kind of player. There has never been a TE as dominant as a healthy Gronk. Don't know if you guys noticed this but Shaheen made a couple of really nice blocks in the run game as well.

Trubisky is making clear steps. I think we got the right guy; I think he's already better than Jay ever was. He's shown that he can make the same plays that Jay was capable of making while not turning the ball over.

Jackson had a couple off games in there but he's shown that he's what we've been searching for at safety: a playmaker who will make you pay for bad mistakes.

Jordan Howard is incredible as a runner at the running back position. He isn't a good pass catcher though but it's certainly something he can improve upon. Even if he doesn't improve that skill I still would only take Leveon Bell over him (Zeke and gurley are arguable).

Good post, although I think David Johnson is also a slam dunk over Howard too because he's such an incredible receiver.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There must still be something obvious about some of our alignments. Seems every sweep is filled and every deep ball is well rushed. Oh and I agree with all that Windy said and about Cohen needing to field punts in front of him.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Good post, although I think David Johnson is also a slam dunk over Howard too because he's such an incredible receiver.

Tbh I forgot about David Johnson because he's been on IR this year. Throw Johnson in there too if you will but no matter what your preference is, Howard is a top 5 RB in a league with a lot of good RBs.

I'll give you Bell and Johnson
I'd take Howard over Gurley because he's undoubtedly a better runner than Gurley, and he would be downright scary in that Rams offense.
I believe Howard is a better runner than Zeke but Zeke is a much better pass catcher so I would also take Zeke over him.

1. Bell
2. Johnson
3. Elliott
4. Howard
5. Gurley
IMO

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Not sure DJ would be playing the same with that offense this year as he did last.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Yesterday was a big help to the coaching search.

Not sure it vaults them in front of the Colts and Giants yet.

The Colts are probably one of a few teams with less talent than the bears, and who knows who Andrew Luck will be next year.

Giants, well, the Accorsi factor. Enough said...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Thanks Windy!

I think not only did Trubisky need that kind of game, but we saw that unlike the Bengals, this team has not YET given up on the season, and it is something they need to build upon.

We played the Lions pretty close last time, if the team can continue the momentum, I think we can beat the Lions.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:

For blocking being a weakness of his, Shaheen has done a damn good job. Especially considering the drastic leap in competition he made. I think it was the Wildcat run by Cohen he was out in front bulldozing lol. And yeah, no excuse for him not to be featured more in the pass game. Besides shitty coaching.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For blocking being a weakness of his, Shaheen has done a damn good job. Especially considering the drastic leap in competition he made. I think it was the Wildcat run by Cohen he was out in front bulldozing lol. And yeah, no excuse for him not to be featured more in the pass game. Besides shitty coaching.

He is as good at Sims this point.

Sims is on his ass a ton.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Some thoughts from yesterday's game.

Offense

-Mitch needed a game like that. He needed to play well and win to build the confidence and validate what he has been doing. What I saw yesterday, albeit against an undermanned defense, was elite QB play. I have not seen such a clean game from a Bears QB in a long time. He was throwing with more confidence, he was accurate and for the first time I think we really saw was Mitch in a rhythm. Yesterday was not only big for Mitch it was big for the coaching search, as he is our biggest selling feature, and it was big for the recruitment of free agents, specifically at WR.

-Jordan Howard is awesome, but we need to accept that fact that he cannot catch.

-Good to see Tarik Cohen get used properly 14 touches and being on the field a lot. He was used well as a decoy on a number of runs and he looked way better running the ball. I would like to see him get in the screen game a little more, but much better use.

-I do not care what Adam Shaheen does not know, he is clearly one of the better offensive weapons you have and is consistently getting open and catching the ball. He should have had 2 TDs, but Jackson made a nice play to break up the first one. Shaheen is not Gronk, I do not think he moves like that, but he does remind me of Jason Witten with his size, hands and ability to catch contested passes. Why was he not playing consistently earlier?

-Dion Sims had a strong game by his standards, but it still seemed like everytime he would make a catch he would come back and get blown up in the running game.

-Cody Whitehair has not had as good a year as his rookie year, but yesterday we were back to dominant Whitehair. He was on the 2nd level so much that I probably commented on it to my buddy 6 different times where he had swallowed up the LB.

-Bobbie Massie and Charles Leno had a really good game, after being pretty mediocre over the losing streak. I would not spend a 1st round pick to replace either of them, but I think we need serious competition in camp next year. Serious competition also has another name and it is depth.

-I think the Bears should extend Kendall Wright, he clearly has a role in the slot and he clearly has a connection with Trubisky. He catches almost everything thrown to him and he runs really nice option routes. The impressive part is how on the same page he and Trubisky seem to be on these option routes.

-Inman was not involved, which is not surprising considering he drew William Jackson most of the game.

-I am not sure who was calling the plays yesterday. It was shocking to me to see that offense being run. It was aggressive and at times creative and was not operating scared. They used the pass to open up the run game for the first time in forever.

Defense

-Eddie Jackson had not played well and against Philly and was non descript against the 49ers, so it was really nice to see him get back on the upward path he was on before those games. Jackson is clearly a keeper and he might be really good. His strip and recovery on the sideline was an awesome play, thank god Fox challenged, and he had a very strong game in the backend.

-It is going to be for more money than we want to spend, but the Bears should do whatever they can to extend Kyle Fuller. He is playing dominant football and continues to break up passes, physically beat up opposing WRs and tackle like a LB. This is exceptional CB play and the Bears cannot afford to let a talented 25 year old player leave and thrive with another team. I would tag him if necessary.

-Yesterday was a reason I would not be in a rush to bring Prince back. The dude cannot generate a turnover if it hits him directly in the chest. This has been the story of his career and I am not sure I would rush to re-sign him if we cannot expect a couple of impact plays a year.

-I wish Bryce Callahan could stay healthy because I think he can play.

-I thought that Roy Robertson-Harris looked healthy and had a nice game. Beyond the sack there were a couple of other plays where he was really driving the OG back into the backfield. I am intrigued to continue to watch more of him and see if he can lock down a starting role heading into next season. His length is unique and it makes him a mismatch inside.

-Jonathan Bullard flashed on a number of plays and was close to a couple of sacks, but the consistency is still an issue. Some plays he looks like more than the OG can handle and others he looks like a pylon. I would like to see increased reps lead to increased consistency and a little more production on the stat sheet.

-I even saw a little something from Rashad Coward late in the game. He has a couple nice bull rushes.

-John Jenkins is not very good and backup NT is an area where the Bears could do something to upgrade.

-Howard Jones has some pass rush juice and was close to a sack on a couple of rushes and then landed a sack later. For sure someone you keep around through the offseason and see if you can steal some value. He has the physical tools they have looked for with his length.

-Good for Lamarr Houston. I have been tough on Lamarr and he was not a good signing by Phil, but glad to see him producing and showing that he is healthy. With Young and McPhee probably getting cut, maybe a cheap Houston is a veteran you bring to camp?

-You know how you know the Bengals LT sucks? Sam Acho was generating pressure.

the only problem I have is how to really rate this game. The Bengals weren't there. Nothing against the Bears taking control and blowing them out, but is it sincere that our players actually beat them or did they not even show up. That's big for me. This was 180 degrees different than the San Fran game. That just seems too odd to me for that big of a swing. I'm glad to see the win, I don't feel it was more than a give away by the Bengals.

Penalties still a problem. Funny how the Bears have to move two times a drive to get down the field after big plays are pulled back due to stupid penalties. Can't even celebrate a TD until five minutes afterward to make sure a flag isn't out. Stupid.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not sure that one can draw many conclusions against a team that has already quit on the season. This game was basically a glorified preseason game.
Now, these upcoming games against Minnesota & Detroit, 2 teams that have a lot to play for, will be a better measuring stick.