With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select?

Hammer

Liked Posts:
One question for draftniks and ND fans, could Nelson possibly be effective at RT or C (because those are more critical positions for Bears team)?

Another thing, Ridley kinda looks like Amani Cooper 2.0 to me, not overly fast, athletic or tall (not physically dominant go-to type), so I'd stay away from him early in 1st round.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One question for draftniks and ND fans, could Nelson possibly be effective at RT or C (because those are more critical positions for Bears team)?

Another thing, Ridley kinda looks like Amani Cooper 2.0 to me, not overly fast, athletic or tall (not physically dominant go-to type), so I'd stay away from him early in 1st round.

Are you serious saying that you would not draft cooper in the first round??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going off of a generic list of the top 10 guards going into the season...

1. Kelechi Osemele - Round 2 (#60)
2. Zach Martin - Round 1 (#16)
3. Trai Turner - Round 3 (#92)
4. Marshal Yanda - Round 3 (#86)
5. David DeCastro - Round 1 (#24)
6. TJ Lang - Round 4 (#109)
7. Kevin Zeitler - Round 1 (#27)
8. Richie Incognito - Round 3 (#81)
9. Brandon Scherff - Round 1 (#5) ***Top ranked OT in draft***
10. Josh Sitton - Round 4 (#135)

If the Bears do draft Nelson, it will be to play RT and super sub at guard.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Is it just speculation Long was supposed to play tackle? I never read anywhere he was drafted to play anywhere but where he is. That he was green and had the potential to move outside if he progressed that way due to his size and athleticism.

I recall that was the reasoning behind the pick and why he was taken so high. He was VERY green and the was taken on potential alone, as at the time people were shocked that he was drafted so high considering he didn't have much experience at all. The pick only made sense IMO because they thought they got a steal of the draft that would develop into a LT.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Mike McGlinchey is the first name in the draft for the Bears. Piss poor OL has to be addressed some time or this team will never succeed.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I recall that was the reasoning behind the pick and why he was taken so high. He was VERY green and the was taken on potential alone, as at the time people were shocked that he was drafted so high considering he didn't have much experience at all. The pick only made sense IMO because they thought they got a steal of the draft that would develop into a LT.

Many of the players that played T in college projected better as interior players at the next level. It's pretty common. Usually it's a lack of ideal length, feet and overall athleticism.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Are you serious saying that you would not draft cooper in the first round??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooper is good but he's not elite.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Did you see this team with Glennon? They'd easily have a top five pick had they waited. Not that I wanted them to, just saying.

Already answered that, but I'll do it again.

I also saw the play calling with Glennon and then with Trubisky and the change that happened with better play calling. It was hurting Glennon as much as it was hurting Trubisky. Would it have changed earlier with Glennon?
I doubt Glennon could be great no matter what plays were called but the team hasn't exactly been great since and we're tied for 8th with 4 wins. 3 wins puts us in 5th and it's doubtful we could've got higher than 5th.
It's not so much how bad we've been playing but how much worse other teams are that is dictating our pick.

Not planning on Trubisky could've also meant Cutler stays and we end up in the middle if he has an up year to offset the bad year that got us #3.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
If we fall to 8.... one thing I know for certain.... there will only be 7 blue chip players and then the drop off to the 8th pick will be unimaginable.

Once we get to the 8th pick we might as well choose a player out of the CFL.

Lmao every fucking year

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I may be mistaken but was he taken to play guard? Similar to how Long was drafted with all intention of being moved to OT and then it failed miserably and he's now back at guard.

Never took a snap at OT.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Fuck it, sign me up. Hope the bears win another few games on the backs of their young guys put themselves into prime range for this type of pick

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
There’s not much guess work with Quentin Nelson! If that’s his name! The guard from Notre Dame is arguably the best guard to come out in years and would be an instant starter! You can’t go wrong with too much oline!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There’s not much guess work with Quentin Nelson! If that’s his name! The guard from Notre Dame is arguably the best guard to come out in years and would be an instant starter! You can’t go wrong with too much oline!

You're not sure what his name is but you know he's the best guard to come out in years?? I'm not saying you're wrong cause he is one of the best to come out in a while but you're not even sure of his name....lol

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
What if Nelson, Fitzpatrick, and Chubb are all gone by the time we pick?

C. Ridley, A. Key, C. Ferrell, or Roquan Smith should be in consideration.

Can't remember who mentioned it, but ILB is not as settled as it might appear. Freeman may not be back, another team may poach C. Jones. Roquan Smith paired with Trevathan would look mighty nice.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I may be mistaken but was he taken to play guard? Similar to how Long was drafted with all intention of being moved to OT and then it failed miserably and he's now back at guard.
You are mistaken. Skins tackles were well established Trent Williams and Edwin Moses. Scherff was drafted to shore up their weak interior.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Depends how free agency plays out.

1. Calvin Ridley WR
2. Denzel Ward CB
3. Arden Key OLB
4. Roquan Smith ILB
5. Clelin Ferrell OLB

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
To me there are 3 elite non-QBs

Nelson
Chubb
Fitzpatrick

After that I think there are not really any "blue chip" or "can't miss" guys.

There's quite a few QB needy teams so we should be able to get one of these 3 players though the dilemma would if Nelson is the only one left.

Also I think it's fair to say Windy that Saquon Barkley is a 'blue chip' player and probably the best player in the draft. He makes up a very good foursome of quality.

If I was the Bears I'd consider cutting Josh Sitton if Andrew Norwell makes it to FA. He's 26 and ascending and whilst he will cost money the Bears get a lot of money back from cutting Sitton to help pay him.

I'd be very pleased to get one of Chubb, Ferrell (preferably on a tradeback) or Fitzpatrick. If it's Fitzpatrick then the Bears absolutely have to take an OLB in the 2nd round.

Nelson would be great in some ways but slightly less important to the Bears at this juncture in the first round.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
It's "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less". We prefer the members use proper English when posting. Thank you.

Thank you ommy for posting this! I “couldn’t” care less !!!!! I love the usage of the words “there, their and they’re, too! That’s another one that gets butchered, too, to and two.

I know it looks like we are snobs by posting things like this but it’s sad! I actually held an impromptu meeting at work where I had to explain these words and the proper usages in patient reports that were being written by other firefighter/paramedics. Sad!

Let’s not even get into proper syntax. I don’t believe that’s necessary in such a forum but it is in my work place and that’s like explaining nuclear engineering to my idiots.

Thanks

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
What if Nelson, Fitzpatrick, and Chubb are all gone by the time we pick?

C. Ridley, A. Key, C. Ferrell, or Roquan Smith should be in consideration.

Can't remember who mentioned it, but ILB is not as settled as it might appear. Freeman may not be back, another team may poach C. Jones. Roquan Smith paired with Trevathan would look mighty nice.

I'd take arden key Roquan Smith calvin Ridley Ferrell in that order.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Sitton is cut & Long can no longer be counted on to perform--how much does this change the draft strategy?