With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select?

napo55

Liked Posts:
It's "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less". We prefer the members use proper English when posting. Thank you.

Proper American usage is to place commas and periods INSIDE quotation marks. Not that it matters, but if you're going to criticize others, you might as well get it right yourself.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love Ridley, but does he have the physical tools to go that high?

I don't believe there is a WR in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick. Mel Kiper was on ESPN last week and said the production for WRs taken in first round is abysmal. There were 4 true WRs he mentioned as actually being worthy of a first round pick - AJ Green, OBJ, Hopkins, and Julio.

I wish I could find the full segment because there was some good stuff in there about not drafting a WR in the first.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
To me there are 3 elite non-QBs

Nelson
Chubb
Fitzpatrick

After that I think there are not really any "blue chip" or "can't miss" guys.

I agree on those 3. Let’s hope there is an early run QB’s and OT just because of their positions.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
^ It would shock me if Mayfield went top 3 in any draft.

If the Bears are really at eight, my guys I hope to take would be

Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Barkley
Ridley
James

I think if Barkley falls that he makes a ton of sense considering Howard is a solid back but his style of offense and what Mitch wants to do isn't really the same. Plus, I'd love to be different and keep them both in and play a dual back set as a ton of teams trade linebackers for quicker, smaller guys and then become a power team. Kinda like Ingram/Kamara in New Orleans. Then in FA you sign a veteran WR who may be a cap casualty (Crabtree?) plus draft a guy in the 4th to be a solid possession WR and add another legit NFL WR in FA (Allen Robinson). That to me would be an interesting offense that could go in each week and attack weaknesses.

The Bears have looked awful against teams that can load up the run but have looked very capable against teams that can't really limit runs. Why not double down on that strength if you think Barkley is a legit game changer at RB and then add a few pass catchers in FA. It also would be a really hard team to game plan against because you have a theoretical mobile QB, two RB (one great inside the tackles and one who can do it all), two solid WR with one who's a great possession guy/slant guy for RPO, Robinson as a very good deep option and then Meredith/Cohen in slot/crossing getting a lot of 1-1. You build that kind of offense, maintain the secondary, hit on the draft with a second rounder for the nickel spot and all of the sudden it's a quick retool if you get an offensive coach.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I'm not a Notre Dame guy but it is a joy to watch the left side of their line block. Nelson might be better than Martin. Do you think the Cowboys are happy they locked down Jerry and avoided the 'sexy pick" in Johnny Football to select an OG?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
To me there are 3 elite non-QBs

Nelson
Chubb
Fitzpatrick

After that I think there are not really any "blue chip" or "can't miss" guys.

Add Barkley to that list, but yeah. I do agree.

I think there are a few more can't miss guys as well. Thier ceiling just isn't as high as the Bluechipers.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ummm who cares...so who do we get in round 4....those seem to be our best picks lol

Last edited:

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'm not a Notre Dame guy but it is a joy to watch the left side of their line block. Nelson might be better than Martin. Do you think the Cowboys are happy they locked down Jerry and avoided the 'sexy pick" in Johnny Football to select an OG?

College lineman are so hard to scout in the mostly spread offense that it makes it hard for me to say. When the Cowboys did that, they were making a good line great, you don't just say "take a guard and don't worry about it" because the Cardinals (#7 overall) did that about five years with Wormack out of Alabama and besides his injury history he was a bust who's a backup.

I don't think there is a lineman who will elevate the status and ability of this team at that pick so I'd rather try and get a playmaker on either side of the ball.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Obviously, I haven't gotten into looking at any draft prospects yet but from reports, Quenton Nelson appears to be what you would call a blue chip/can't miss player.

If he is that type of guard that could be the next Zack Martin, he is most certainly worth a top 10 pick.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
College lineman are so hard to scout in the mostly spread offense that it makes it hard for me to say. When the Cowboys did that, they were making a good line great, you don't just say "take a guard and don't worry about it" because the Cardinals (#7 overall) did that about five years with Wormack out of Alabama and besides his injury history he was a bust who's a backup.

I don't think there is a lineman who will elevate the status and ability of this team at that pick so I'd rather try and get a playmaker on either side of the ball.

They took Cooper.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
They took Cooper.

Sorry, Cooper went to Arizona and he's in Dallas now while Warmack went to Tennessee and bounced around to the Eagles. Getting my interior linemen from Alabama who went top 10 and flamed out mixed up.I think the point remains that the idea that it's "safer" to take a guard isn't really bore out by any real data. The problem with guards and their value is they can't really elevate an offensive line on their own. When you pair five really good linemen together to build an offensive line (which the Cowboys did when healthy) that's one thing but if your tackles are going to be Leno and Massie I don't really think it's worth it to take a guard in the top 10 because no matter how good that guy is, he won't be a gamechanger to what your offense can do.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't believe there is a WR in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick. Mel Kiper was on ESPN last week and said the production for WRs taken in first round is abysmal. There were 4 true WRs he mentioned as actually being worthy of a first round pick - AJ Green, OBJ, Hopkins, and Julio.

I wish I could find the full segment because there was some good stuff in there about not drafting a WR in the first.

I saw that. He missed Mike Evans though. Calvin Ridley is probably my favorite prospect in this draft. Love his game. Loved it as a freshman. He has the natural ability to get open because of his quick feet and many nuances he has with his head fakes and varying his speed. And that's the type of stuff as a WR that doesn't slump. But I don't know that I see him as a true #1. And most importantly, I don't know that the difference between him at like 8 is much more than that with the WRs likely to be there in the 2nd or 3rd (if the Bears can get a 3rd) that it's worth passing up a top edge rusher or CB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Obviously, I haven't gotten into looking at any draft prospects yet but from reports, Quenton Nelson appears to be what you would call a blue chip/can't miss player.

If he is that type of guard that could be the next Zack Martin, he is most certainly worth a top 10 pick.

I think he's a better prospect than Martin was when he came out. I didn't think Martin would be in contention for best guard in the league Day 1, but Nelson certainly could be.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I saw that. He missed Mike Evans though. Calvin Ridley is probably my favorite prospect in this draft. Love his game. Loved it as a freshman. He has the natural ability to get open because of his quick feet and many nuances he has with his head fakes and varying his speed. And that's the type of stuff as a WR that doesn't slump. But I don't know that I see him as a true #1. And most importantly, I don't know that the difference between him at like 8 is much more than that with the WRs likely to be there in the 2nd or 3rd (if the Bears can get a 3rd) that it's worth passing up a top edge rusher or CB.

I'd also say that if you want to judge positions and say that only the good ones make that position less viable then every position sans QB is probably not worth 1st round picks.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Sorry, Cooper went to Arizona and he's in Dallas now while Warmack went to Tennessee and bounced around to the Eagles. Getting my interior linemen from Alabama who went top 10 and flamed out mixed up.I think the point remains that the idea that it's "safer" to take a guard isn't really bore out by any real data. The problem with guards and their value is they can't really elevate an offensive line on their own. When you pair five really good linemen together to build an offensive line (which the Cowboys did when healthy) that's one thing but if your tackles are going to be Leno and Massie I don't really think it's worth it to take a guard in the top 10 because no matter how good that guy is, he won't be a gamechanger to what your offense can do.

I'm not advocating taking Nelson but he's an excellent prospect. However, any time you can radically improve your o-line it's worth the consideration.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Never understood why a guard couldn't be a top pick because of his "position value" but everybody talks about how the game is won in the trenches...

If you think Nelson is a perennial pro bowler G for most of his career, you draft that guy.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Assuming Chubb and Fitzpatrick are gone, I’m totally fine taking an OG as long as he is truly an elite prospect. My next best option is probably to trade down if we can’t get one of those 3.