With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
People are obsessed with the QB having the ability to just throw the ball up to a big WR who can high point the ball and catch it over a DB. But even better than that is a guy who can catch the ball running away from the DB. I think we all saw the Marshall and Jeffery combo struggle at times. Green Bay in particular for 2 years played the CB underneath of Marshall with the safety over top. Then got physical with Jeffery in man coverage and they struggled to get separation. Even though Meredith and Inman aren't jumpball type WRs, they are 6'3" and will have a height advantage to potentially win those jumpballs, if they are back. The Bears do have that size mismatch with Shaheen and the quick outlet in Cohen potentially. They need WRs that you know a CB won't be able to stay with laterally across the field or when Mitch buys extra time by scrambling.

The Patriots haven't had a jumpball WR since Moss was there. The Saints don't really have that type of guy playing a prominent role. The great Colt offenses with Manning, Harrison, Wayne and Collie didn't have that guy. The Greatest Show on Turf didn't.

The Bears for years now have run out an incredibly slow WR core. They had no option but to throw it up, add in Jays accuracy issues and you had a jump ball offense.

With Trubisky's accuracy I would love to add some speed and route running, watch big plays and easy completions follow.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Bears for years now have run out an incredibly slow WR core. They had no option but to throw it up, add in Jays accuracy issues and you had a jump ball offense.

With Trubisky's accuracy I would love to add some speed and route running, watch big plays and easy completions follow.

Exactly. I didn't mention it, but yeah you're playing to Trubisky's strengths if you let him get rid of the ball and let WRs run after the catch. He did have a couple of big WRs at UNC, but his bread and butter were the 2 slot WRs running across the field, him hitting them in stride, and them running after the catch. And those guys weren't even super athletes.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
People are obsessed with the QB having the ability to just throw the ball up to a big WR who can high point the ball and catch it over a DB. But even better than that is a guy who can catch the ball running away from the DB. I think we all saw the Marshall and Jeffery combo struggle at times. Green Bay in particular for 2 years played the CB underneath of Marshall with the safety over top. Then got physical with Jeffery in man coverage and they struggled to get separation. Even though Meredith and Inman aren't jumpball type WRs, they are 6'3" and will have a height advantage to potentially win those jumpballs, if they are back. The Bears do have that size mismatch with Shaheen and the quick outlet in Cohen potentially. They need WRs that you know a CB won't be able to stay with laterally across the field or when Mitch buys extra time by scrambling.

The Patriots haven't had a jumpball WR since Moss was there. The Saints don't really have that type of guy playing a prominent role. The great Colt offenses with Manning, Harrison, Wayne and Collie didn't have that guy. The Greatest Show on Turf didn't.

Great post along with the next one but the only thing I would add about size.

When you can find a receiver who jump over you and run past you, then you have the makings of Julio/Calvin/Moss/Gordon freak who can change the game every single snap.

That's why I forgive Pace for taking a swing on Kevin White because was in that mold athletically

I'm not sure if anybody in this draft fits that mold

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's now a tie between...

Denzel Ward CB

Ohio State DB have done pretty good in the NFL

Fast!

5'10 or 5'11

[video=youtube_share;5780fUPZJpo]https://youtu.be/5780fUPZJpo[/video]

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And Clelin Ferrell OLB

Monster

[video=youtube_share;fvjQK_04h0Y]https://youtu.be/fvjQK_04h0Y[/video]

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Ferrell reminds me Alot of Everson Griffen. A bit longer but similar ability to jump the snap.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's now a tie between...

Denzel Ward CB

Ohio State DB have done pretty good in the NFL

Fast!

5'10 or 5'11

[video=youtube_share;5780fUPZJpo]https://youtu.be/5780fUPZJpo[/video]

Some Ohio State fans are saying he’s just as good as Lattimore.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Ward, Fuller, and Eddie Jackson would be a nice trio in the back field.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

He's not. I think I like him better than Gareon Conley though. He struggles with size, and Simmie Cobbs really did a number on him. But he can fly and has good ball skills. Definitely don't want him at 8, and there are CBs I like more than him (Jaire Alexander, Isaiah Oliver to be exact).

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Now I admit I haven't watched much college football this year but are these the best highlight vids there are of these players? Just don't see anything too impressive from Ferrell, Ward, or Sutton based upon this "evidence". Certainly nothing that warrants a top 10-15 pick. I hope there's something else that shows something much better...