Trubisky is money on 3rd down

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m not gonna lie, I’m pretty impressed with this info and it doesn’t even factor in the Bengals game where he was 8 for 9 on 3rd and 4th down with a 104.6 rating. (Before game he was 7th best in the NFL with 95.8 on 3rd down according to ChiTrib.)
And I think him being the only QB who hasn’t thrown an INT on third down this year is a nice change of pace. (I’m looking at you Cutty)

http://www.thetenyardline.com/2017/12/08/mitch-trubisky-is-a-top-five-quarterback-on-third-down/

In Mark Chichester’s observations at Pro Football Focus, he notes Trubisky’s 9.6 yards per attempt on third down is the second highest average among the league’s 32 starters. Further, Trubisky’s 103.7 rating in those moments checks in as the fourth best. And in a statistical nugget that might even get John Fox to crack a smile, Trubisky is the only starting quarterback to not have thrown an interception on third down. Woo. That’s fun.

And to be clear, Trubisky has had 65 third down attempts in his rookie season, so it’s not like we’re dealing with the smallest sample.

One thing that stands out, in particular, about Trubisky’s third down numbers is his performance in 3rd-and-long situations. When facing a third down of seven yards or longer, Trubisky is 27-for-37 for 344 yards, a touchdown, no interceptions, an average of 9.3 yards per attempt, and a 110.6 rating.

Trubisky’s passing on other downs and distances, however, has left something to be desired. So far, he’s completed just 51.7 percent of his first-down pass attempts, while second down seems to be where he’s been at his least productive, posting a 63.7 passer rating.

Trubisky and the Bears have discussed getting into more manageable situations in the weeks to come, and that would obviously be ideal. Putting Trubisky in better positions could open up a stagnant and predictable offense, while also keeping the chains moving.

But while it’s nice that Trubisky is finding areas to be productive, he still needs work in 1st-and-10 situations, like, you know, all the time. Trubisky has completed just 48.2 percent of passes and owns a 71.4 rating when facing 1st-and-10. Further, he’s been sacked on 6.9 percent of his drop-backs in that particular down-and-distance, which is not nice if you’re trying to get in a good position for second and third down.

For what it’s worth, the Cincinnati Bengals defense has five third-down interceptions and has limited opposing quarterbacks to an 85.6 passer rating on 127 third-down pass attempts this season. So something will have to give on Sunday.

But either way, odds are Trubisky will have another teachable moment to work from when Week 14 concludes.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
His highest ypa on 3rd down in the league is due to all those damn 3rd and 17s. Nice to see that completion % though

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the pessimist in me was thinking that too. But I’ve given the optimist in me a bigger voice in recent years.

Liked Posts:
I’m not gonna lie, I’m pretty impressed with this info and it doesn’t even factor in the Bengals game where he was 8 for 9 on 3rd and 4th down with a 104.6 rating. (Before game he was 7th best in the NFL with 95.8 on 3rd down according to ChiTrib.)
And I think him being the only QB who hasn’t thrown an INT on third down this year is a nice change of pace. (I’m looking at you Cutty)

http://www.thetenyardline.com/2017/12/08/mitch-trubisky-is-a-top-five-quarterback-on-third-down/

In Mark Chichester’s observations at Pro Football Focus, he notes Trubisky’s 9.6 yards per attempt on third down is the second highest average among the league’s 32 starters. Further, Trubisky’s 103.7 rating in those moments checks in as the fourth best. And in a statistical nugget that might even get John Fox to crack a smile, Trubisky is the only starting quarterback to not have thrown an interception on third down. Woo. That’s fun.

And to be clear, Trubisky has had 65 third down attempts in his rookie season, so it’s not like we’re dealing with the smallest sample.

One thing that stands out, in particular, about Trubisky’s third down numbers is his performance in 3rd-and-long situations. When facing a third down of seven yards or longer, Trubisky is 27-for-37 for 344 yards, a touchdown, no interceptions, an average of 9.3 yards per attempt, and a 110.6 rating.

Trubisky’s passing on other downs and distances, however, has left something to be desired. So far, he’s completed just 51.7 percent of his first-down pass attempts, while second down seems to be where he’s been at his least productive, posting a 63.7 passer rating.

Trubisky and the Bears have discussed getting into more manageable situations in the weeks to come, and that would obviously be ideal. Putting Trubisky in better positions could open up a stagnant and predictable offense, while also keeping the chains moving.

But while it’s nice that Trubisky is finding areas to be productive, he still needs work in 1st-and-10 situations, like, you know, all the time. Trubisky has completed just 48.2 percent of passes and owns a 71.4 rating when facing 1st-and-10. Further, he’s been sacked on 6.9 percent of his drop-backs in that particular down-and-distance, which is not nice if you’re trying to get in a good position for second and third down.

For what it’s worth, the Cincinnati Bengals defense has five third-down interceptions and has limited opposing quarterbacks to an 85.6 passer rating on 127 third-down pass attempts this season. So something will have to give on Sunday.

But either way, odds are Trubisky will have another teachable moment to work from when Week 14 concludes.

Wait, but he sucks...right?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I wanted them to draft him since last January. It may take a couple years but I think he’s gonna be a really good QB for a long time.

I agree. A really good QB that likes to say shut the fuck up!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
To bottom line this real quick, Bears rank #26 on 3rd down conversion %. That ain't money.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thank you for posting. It makes sense too. Stupid Fox and Loggains certainly put him in a ton of 3rd and long situations.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
As pleasing as this is to hear, let's keep this in perspective. As someone said, the Bears are in a ton of 3rd and longs. Trubs settles for a ton of dump offs in these situations. It's the reason his numbers can be so high, while he has no TDs, and the Bears are 26th in third down percentage. It's not a bad thing that he checks down in these terrible situations, it's actually pretty encouraging that he won't force it, but great numbers that don't correlate into first downs are pretty misleading.