Why Bears' Jordan Howard might be poised to steal Ezekiel Elliott's rushing crown

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is definitely under the radar when it comes to top running backs, but he is not in the same league of dynamic play making ability vs Bell/Elliot. He is a patient steady workhouse though. Great pick up and one of my favorite Bears. Plays with a lot of heart.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
It doesn't really matter how stylish a RB looks, all that matters is the yardage he makes - no extra points for looking good. I think he also makes a surprising number of longer yardage runs for a runner of his style. The obvious place he's behind Bell in particular is the pass catching, which he is so bad at its almost unbelievable. It might be worth blindfolding him before a passing play to see if that works out better.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
crazy that there are only 73 yards separating Howard (4) from Bell (1) and only a 14 yard difference between 2 and 4

Bell - 1105
Hunt - 1046
Gurley - 1035
Howard 1032

He averages a half yard more per carry than Bell as well.

And he averaged more per carry than Zeke last year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
It doesn't really matter how stylish a RB looks, all that matters is the yardage he makes - no extra points for looking good. I think he also makes a surprising number of longer yardage runs for a runner of his style. The obvious place he's behind Bell in particular is the pass catching, which he is so bad at its almost unbelievable. It might be worth blindfolding him before a passing play to see if that works out better.

Agreed! Pretty sure that Howard leads the league in most 10+ yard runs this season, so obviously he breaks out good chunks consistently. He just might not have those highlight reel type runs where he busts a 70 yarder or anything, but he still consistently gets big runs compared to the rest of the league.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well if you include total yards..da howard drops..

bell and gurley are the first position players in typg to make the list after qbs.. there are actually 11 rbs before howard.

over 125 ypg

bell
gurley
elliott

over 100 ypg

cook (hurt so not as many games avg may be high)
hunt
fournette
mccoy

between 90-100 ypg

ingram
kamara
johnson

under 90 ypg

gordon

then finally da howard @ 86.6

Yards per Attempt and Yards after Contact (YAC) are more important than simply total yards if you really want an even comparison.

That said, the same measure for reception yards should also be compared...of which Howard will clearly not be in the same category.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
I think as a pure runner Howard is at the top of the list with Bell, Gurly, Zeke.
But with his brick hands that puts him right out of the conversation for anything else.
Dropping easy passes that hit him in the hands is just bad.
If he ever fixes that then by all means re-evaluate.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
In this dismissal season and looking for enjoyment, I’m excited to see TRU progress and see if Howard can win the rushing title.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I would criticize Jerry, but that draft may have been the best in franchise history.

Dak Prescott was picked with the Cowboys compensatory fourth rounder, and he looks almost as good as Wentz and probably better than Goff, taken 2 and 1 in that draft.

And I'm not sure the Boys go 13-3 last year with Howard, unless they had drafted Jalen Ramsey instead.

Off hand

We’re better for the cowgirls.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Since you mentioned a hurt RB, I think Dalvin Cook is in the conversation when healthy. That dude was clearly a top 5-10 RB earlier this year along with Kamara, who has looked perfect in that offense.

Cook and Kamara might be up there, but I have to see more before I crown them. David Johnson is a fucking beast, and a threat any time he touches the ball.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
I would criticize Jerry, but that draft may have been the best in franchise history.

Dak Prescott was picked with the Cowboys compensatory fourth rounder, and he looks almost as good as Wentz and probably better than Goff, taken 2 and 1 in that draft.

And I'm not sure the Boys go 13-3 last year with Howard, unless they had drafted Jalen Ramsey instead.
:lol:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

I wouldn't say Prescott looks almost as good as Wentz.

AussieBear

Yards per Attempt and Yards after Contact (YAC) are more important than simply total yards if you really want an even comparison.

That said, the same measure for reception yards should also be compared...of which Howard will clearly not be in the same category.

ypa means various things.... yac may describe they style.. i dont care how ye get ye yards boss.. but how many ya getting week in and week out.. these rb total yards > howards worth.. i mean sure howards 1032 yds looks good and it is guud.. but bell and gurley be up around 16-1700 total yds. vs howards 1100 ish.. yeah.. they not even in the same class.. as a pure runner.. sure howard is decent..... but gurley and bell are complete every down backs.. thats the difference... and a huge one..

Svic

Liked Posts:
crazy that there are only 73 yards separating Howard (4) from Bell (1) and only a 14 yard difference between 2 and 4

Bell - 1105
Hunt - 1046
Gurley - 1035
Howard 1032

That’s stat is even crazier when you realize bell has 50 more rushing attempts than howard

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Howard is currently 4th in the league and tops in the NFC. Which is amazing considering how teams have played the Bears this year... always stacking the line.

That and what looked like a shoulder separation hasn't slowed him down. He looks like he heals quickly and can handle pain. I really expected to see more lingering effects.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I still have Prescott above Wentz, you can’t just wipe away last season.

Prescott has had two good season but Wentz is on another level. Prescott is consistently good but Wentz is more on that elite level.