The case against a first round WR

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
You can make a thread like this about every position in the nfl
I feel like this is essentially all you post in about every thread.

Don't you have anything different to contribute or do you just sit on a chair outside the forums and yell "get off my lawn?"

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Do we get a comp. pick for losing Alshon? If so it can change the way Pace approaches the draft.

We sign so many free agents that even if AJ got a long term deal last offseason we wouldn’t have got a comp pick. But let’s say he signed long term last offseason the glennon contract would have negated the comp pick lmfao

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Young inexperienced QB can definitely benefit from a high quality go-to receiver (think Watson - Hopkins combo), on the other hand, young WRs can benefit from veteran QBs (think every single young/average receiver Brady and Rodgers had).

That's why Bears should probably go after a legit go-to receiver in FA (like Robinson or Landy), and not in 1st round of Draft (although they could draft one WR in 2nd or later rounds, to develop alongside a legit receiving threat, like they already did with Jeffery alongside Marshall).

This is a really good point. An experienced vet at WR can greatly help Tru's development, whereas even an ultra-talented rookie could possibly hinder it to a degree...

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
We sign so many free agents that even if AJ got a long term deal last offseason we wouldn’t have got a comp pick. But let’s say he signed long term last offseason the glennon contract would have negated the comp pick lmfao

Fuck. Pace really fucked up last years Free Agent period.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
People are talking about giving Jarvis Landry 10-12 million...A pure slot receiver who is physically limited and who is great between the 20's but will not help you in the RZ.

Kinda funny that this comment comes a few days after Landry caught 2 TDs in the Red Zone. Lol.

Svic

Liked Posts:
You should do round 2 and 3 as comparison. I think the number would be higher in those rounds. Also will fuller will be a solid 1 but will be stuck as 2 behind Hopkins

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Measly?

They could be 4th rd picks

We don’t have a 3rd pick

Pace has been really good with later picks.

Measly? Lol

Jefferies signed a 1 year deal. It would not have gotten us more than a 7th...IF even that. But my point was the goal is to make the team better...not just accumulate comp picks. Surely you understand that.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Wasn't the other Mike Williams from USC? Man that kid was a monster in college. Then he got to the NFL and got fat and lazy.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm on board with improving OL/DB/OLB in the first round, but if WR is that you love then why not.

A true bonafide #1 like Hopkins, A brown, julio, megatron, or OBJ can really transform an offense much more than an OG. Everyone keeps saying this team need more playmmakers... I like cohen and howard but there are NO WR's on this team that are play makers. If the bears pick around 8-12 it is likely that guys like chubb, fitzpatrick, barkley and others will be off the board. The bears are more likely to be looking at a top WR or a top OG/OT. If you are looking at top O line you can make very similar comments about being able to find talent in later rounds, just think whitehair.

Also, a lot of people seem to be banking on Pace signing AT LEAST 1 FA WR. I'm hopeful for a big name guy like watkins, allen robinson, or landry... but thinking he will land two is a bit much imo.

Very true, an Odell Beckham would transform this team much more so than a Zack Martin.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I feel like this is essentially all you post in about every thread.

Don't you have anything different to contribute or do you just sit on a chair outside the forums and yell "get off my lawn?"

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I mean what more to say? It's true. Compile all of the 1st round picks for every position in the 1st round and you'll see more players that end up being average than all stars. He's making the point that this should be a reason not to take a wide receiver when it holds true across the board. It's an invalid point. Not much more to say. If you like a receiver at the spot take him and hope for the best. Now fuck off.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I continue to be of the opinion that WR's are extremely overvalued based on how much you have to pay for a "#1 WR".

People are talking about giving Jarvis Landry 10-12 million...A pure slot receiver who is physically limited and who is great between the 20's but will not help you in the RZ.

I’m not Jarvis Landry’s biggest fan, but what you’re saying is quite baffling. Landry is one of the top red zone targets in the NFL.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I continue to be of the opinion that WR's are extremely overvalued based on how much you have to pay for a "#1 WR".

you do realize that all 8 of his TD's this year came within 10 yards and over his career 18 of his 23 TD's came in the RZ?

Washington

Liked Posts:
That's because GB has Aaron Rodgers, and he can make even average WR's look amazing. The stronger the QB, the less need there is for a great WR. But when you do pair a great QB with a great WR, they usually set records.... like Brady and Moss.

No matter who the QB is, the WR still has to get open and catch the ball. Look what Marshall did with Cutty and then Fitz in NY. No good QBs there. The GB WRs, none of which are first rounders, have looked good with their backup QB too.

Sign Adams or Landry, another lower tier WR and look for a WR in the later rounds. Go OLB or CB early depending on availability. Our best WR is an UDFA. Good WRs are available all over the draft, more so than other positions.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Good receivers can be found outside of the 1st. Other teams do it consistently. Last time we took one it was AJ, and that turned out well.

All for getting an immediate impact maker in the 1st, and getting a solid WR in a later round. 2 or 4. Would hope we trade down in 1 or 2 to pick up a 3rd though. Pace seems do well with those draft rounds.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think one of the guys that are being touted as first rounders might slide to the 2nd. I've had a feeling for awhile that Sutton might drop because he probably won't tear up the combine. Miller and Kirk are two intriguing guys as well. I like Ridley but I'm not sure about the Bears burning a 1 on him.

My hope is for a top edge in the 1st.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
IMHO, good WRs are found all over the draft, more so than most other positions. GB seems to get good ones regularly without using their #1 on them. If TT can do it, surely Pace can do it too. I am opposed to using our #1 on a WR. I'd like to see Pace get one of the best available in FA and then take one after the 1st. Actually, I'd like to see Pace get 2 of the best available in FA.

It also has a lot to do with the team and the players and coaches on that team as well. If a WR goes to a team that has a well respected QB and coaches then that's gonna help that WR with his confidence in that team/system/QB/coaching and which in turn will help that WR with his development.