Making the case for Bears to hire Matt LaFleur in 2018

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Bolt/Matt-LaFleur-could-be-potential-head-coaching-candidate-for-the-Chicago-Bears-in-2018-111790587

The Chicago Bears will more than likely be looking for a new head coach in 2018 and Los Angeles Rams offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur could be an intriguing option to keep an eye on in the coming weeks.

John Fox has been a massive disappointment in Chicago and is not viewed as someone who can get the most out of second overall pick Mitch Trubisky. The rookie quarterback has been limited by the team's lackluster offensive playcalling under Dowell Loggains and his development will be the most important thing for the organization to nurture in the coming years.

Out in Los Angeles, LaFleur has seen up close how a young, offensive-minded head coach can completely change the course of a young quarterback's development. Jared Goff went first overall in the 2016 and struggled in his rookie season with Jeff Fisher as his head coach. The Rams hired Sean McVay after a successful stint as offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins and he's helped transform Goff into a potential Pro Bowl-caliber player.

McVay brought LaFleur along with him to Los Angeles to be his offensive coordinator following LaFleur's successful stint as quarterbacks coach of the Atlanta Falcons. The 38-year-old Saginaw Valley State alum began his coaching career with his alma mater in 2003 before taking an offensive assistant job Central Michigan between 2004 and 2005. He later became the quarterbacks and receivers coach at Northern Michigan in 2006 before earning his first offensive coordinator job at Ashland in 2007.

LaFleur then made the jump to the NFL in 2008 with the Houston Texans as an offensive quality control coach. In 2010 he then became the quarterbacks coach for the Washington Redskins. He held that job through the 2013 season before joining Notre Dame in the same capacity. He then joined the Falcons staff in 2015 was the team's quarterbacks coach last season when Matt Ryan won MVP honors.

The talented offensive mind then joined McVay, who he worked with in Washington, in Los Angeles for his first offensive coordinator job in the NFL here 2017. McVay has had nothing but glowing things to say about his coordinator.

"So thankful to have him here," McVay said earlier this year about LaFleur, via USA Today. "He's as responsible as anybody for the success our offense has had. In terms of organizing the game plans, being able to run the meetings, making sure that everything is in alignment on the same page, he does it all. Can't say enough about the contribution he has made to our team."

McVay calls plays on game day, but he clearly values the input of LaFleur. The Rams are currently fourth in the NFL in total offense, averaging 372.1 yards per game. The unit is also tied with the Philadelphia Eagles for the No. 1 scoring offense in the league with an average of 30.1 points per game. Goff has gone from a player who threw for just 1,089 yards with five touchdowns and seven interceptions in seven games last season to having thrown for 3,184 yards with 20 touchdowns and six interceptions with a 98.4 quarterback rating in 12 games this season.

LaFleur coached alongside current San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta and received a ringing endorsement from his former coworker before the start of this season.

"They’re getting a hell of a coach," Shanahan said during the NFL Scouting Combine, via ESPN's Alden Gonzalez. "... Matt understands the game. He played college quarterback. He knows a lot about that position. He knows the run game, he knows the pass game, he knows how to tie them together."

Last year in Atlanta he helped oversee a season in which Ryan threw for 4,944 yards with 38 touchdowns and seven interceptions with a 117.1 quarterback rating capped off with an MVP and a trip to the Super Bowl.

6_7300730.jpg

Matt LaFleur worked with Matt Ryan in Atlanta for two seasons. (Photo: Scout.com)

For a Bears team that needs to develop their young quarterback and has an established top-level running back in Jordan Howard, LaFleur sounds like an ideal candidate to run the show in Chicago.

The biggest negative against him is he has not called plays in the NFL, but his overall work with Ryan and Goff in the past are two of the biggest reasons why many are pegging him as the next highly coveted young offensive mind in the game.

It would be an outside-the-box hire for a Bears organization that has generally gone after older coaches in the past, but no organization needs a jolt of youthfulness quite like the Bears do right now. There is no guarantee LeFleur pans out to become the next McVay, yet Chicago would be wise to finally dip their toes into the offensive side of the ball with a young coach who already has an impressive résumé.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He's not an overly confident speaker. Doesn't exude leadership. Seems like a smart coach and good guy, but I'm not sure about his intangibles leading a team. Although, I said the same thing about Gase and he's had a decent stint in Miami so far.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd much rather have Flip.

I still think the guy is Pete Carmichael Jr the connections him and Pace have and the success he is having as an OC make sense.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
I still think the guy is Pete Carmichael Jr the connections him and Pace have and the success he is having as an OC make sense.

Have you ever listened to him speak? He’s worse than Trestman when it comes to commanding a room. He might know offense but he is not at all HC material. He would be a huge disaster.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Have you ever watched him speak? He’s worse than Trestman when it comes to commanding a room. He might know offense but he is not at all HC material.

I love how people assume he's gonna be just like Trestman after hearing him speak. :facepalm2:

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Huge leap. One year running someone else's offense and a few QB coach stints is hardly what I want to see in the next HC.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Go read up on him. I'm not wrong.

It doesn't matter what any read up on him says. He's never been a head coach so you have no idea if he's gonna be bad or not. You're just assuming.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Go read up on him. I'm not wrong.

He read an article. We got an expert here move aside everyone this guy is an expert on him after one article.

George Bush Sr was called a wimp when he was running for President sometimes a label true or not just sticks.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I love how people assume he's gonna be just like Trestman after hearing him speak. :facepalm2:

Posters here are like sheep that just keep churning out the same sentences they heard someone else say.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Have you ever listened to him speak? He’s worse than Trestman when it comes to commanding a room. He might know offense but he is not at all HC material. He would be a huge disaster.

Speak softly and carry a big stick - Theodore Roosevelt

I'll let Ryan Pace someone he knows him personally over mshu7 on the Interwebs who read an article about a guy who watched a video so that mean Marc Trestman.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Listen here! I saw one video someone here posted with an agenda! That’s all I need to know he’s a Trestman dweeb with no leadership skills!

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
He read an article. We got an expert here move aside everyone this guy is an expert on him after one article.

George Bush Sr was called a wimp when he was running for President sometimes a label true or not just sticks.

This coming from the dumbass that wants Dowell Loggains to be HC.

Put down the pipe bro!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Apparently Atlanta wasn't in love with him and that is why they let him leave.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...nd-let-him-walk-before-hiring-steve-sarkisian

Something to investigate

There seems to be a few thoughts going on here:

One, is they let him go instead of promoting him, and the reality is they did not have to let him go, a team can block a coach under contract from leaving, unless it is for a HC position, so he could have been forced to remain as QB coach or promoted to OC, but Atlanta did neither.

Two, the offense took a nose dive this year after both Shanahan and Lefleur left, and many thought that if Lafleur had been promoted the offense would have had some continuity and continued success.

Three, even though Lafleur is the OC for the Rams he does not call plays and I have to be honest, McVay speaks about him like he is a secretary, not a leader of the offense.

This is too far removed from being an innovative leader that I hope the Bears find. He does seem like a very good assistant that makes his Leaders look better, but he does not appear to be the unofficial leader of the team or even the official leader of the offense that he is supposed to be in charge of.

He may in fact be a very good HC one day, but in my eyes he has not taken command of anything.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I want either a HC or OC that has a successful history of play calling. If Loggains has free reign now and continues to call good games, I don't rule him out as staying on with the right HC. He's called some shitty games but when you're calling plays in a way that doesn't jive with your sensibilities, it can adversely affect your competence. You'd like a guy that could adapt and meld but really, if he can do his own thing well, I'd settle. Lots of good coaches have bombed in bad situations.

When you look at running stats, Jordan's rush average goes way up when we have a normal mix and he ends up with just as many carries from sustaining drives. You need to run the ball but in the current NFL, the pass opens up the run game instead of the other way around. It's those 30 yard runs that make the stats look good and have people say, 'see, you need to run the ball'. They're not wrong but they often need perspective on the fact that you win by keeping Ds guessing and keeping the ball in play.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Three, even though Lafleur is the OC for the Rams he does not call plays and I have to be honest, McVay speaks about him like he is a secretary, not a leader of the offense.

This is too far removed from being an innovative leader that I hope the Bears find. He does seem like a very good assistant that makes his Leaders look better, but he does not appear to be the unofficial leader of the team or even the official leader of the offense that he is supposed to be in charge of.

This is pretty much how I feel about him and tbh alot of the potential HCs like Flip, Reich, Carmichael. Carmichael might be calling plays this year, but it's Peyton's offense. I'm all for finding a young innovative OC to be the next HC, but I at least want them to have some playcalling experience and not just be riding the coattails of the HC. Nagy has taken over the play calling for the Chiefs so he will have a nice audition the rest of the season.

At this point, I like Shurmur over the rest of the young OCs who don't call plays.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Drew Brees!!!!! That's what i'll always look at first for why that offense is so good, same thing with McDaniels. M.Trestman could be the OC of either one of the Pats or Saints and both offenses are just as good. Unfortunately i also think Pace is going to look real hard at Carmichael because of the Saints connection.