Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn't. His overall handling if QBs has been poor and he's had a great team underperforming for years. Word is that he wasn't on board for Watson and that Savage was originally his pick.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Their cap space is meaningless if noone wants to play for them.

It's fun to beat up on the Browns, but if they can do well with their crazy number of draft picks, they will have a TON of young talent with plenty of team control. Then they just need to translate that to success on the field so that the players don't all leave without a second contract. Sounds like a PERFECT situation for a coach. I'm not a Kizer fan, so you still may need to draft another QB, but that would be my choice.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
It's fun to beat up on the Browns, but if they can do well with their crazy number of draft picks, they will have a TON of young talent with plenty of team control. Then they just need to translate that to success on the field so that the players don't all leave without a second contract. Sounds like a PERFECT situation for a coach. I'm not a Kizer fan, so you still may need to draft another QB, but that would be my choice.
Haven't we been saying this about the browns every year for a long time now though? They've always had the draft picks and youth. Something else is going on there.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
My experience is that these "something else is going on" scenarios exist right up until they don't. I try not to read too much into them. By all accounts they made a good GM hire, have a good amount of resources to improve their roster, and with a solid coach, might just be able to improve quickly. Not "jealous" of the Browns, but can look at them and see a team that "should" be nearing the end of their rebuild. Clearly, they are a 0 win team right now, so it will still take more talent and development to get them competitive, but I bet if they get a good coach, in 2 years, they are fielding a competitive team.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

Picking the right coach has been their main problem outside of QB. If they can get the right fit and QB they will no doubt be team to contend.

It is fun to stomp on the Browns but us Bears fans have to remember they were an expansion team in 1999. Since that time the Bears have not been that far ahead.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If O'brien really get's canned Pace should interview him.

Was thinking the same thing. Arians too, if he’s in good health. But I don’t think either of them get fired this year.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Hmmm bears ranked 3 behind the browns and Texans. Texans may not even fire their coach.

Pretty sure I read on CCS that no one was going to want the Bears HC position and they wouldn’t be able to land interviews with top candidates.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Browns seem like a perfect spot for a potential HC who wants GM powers, like McDaniels or Jim Harbaugh.

That basically leaves Bears with DeFilippo / LaFleur to choose from.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Browns seem like a perfect spot for a potential HC who wants GM powers, like McDaniels or Jim Harbaugh.

Except they just hired John Dorsey to be the GM.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My experience is that these "something else is going on" scenarios exist right up until they don't. I try not to read too much into them. By all accounts they made a good GM hire, have a good amount of resources to improve their roster, and with a solid coach, might just be able to improve quickly. Not "jealous" of the Browns, but can look at them and see a team that "should" be nearing the end of their rebuild. Clearly, they are a 0 win team right now, so it will still take more talent and development to get them competitive, but I bet if they get a good coach, in 2 years, they are fielding a competitive team.

That 'good GM' just called everyone acquired over the last few years 'nothing'. Way to get acquainted with your players.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
Hmmm bears ranked 3 behind the browns and Texans. Texans may not even fire their coach.

Pretty sure I read on CCS that no one was going to want the Bears HC position and they wouldn’t be able to land interviews with top candidates.

And those guys are experts. They should be NFL decision makers but instead choose to work mid-level management jobs at small accounting firms in Joliet. Thankfully they still impart their wisdom and NFL knowledge here for us to enjoy.

RochBear

Liked Posts:

I'm with you on Kizer. Suspend judgement. It will do them no harm if they get two good QBs, the 'extra' can be traded for quality picks. They do need one. The Browns job would have the benefit of low expectation, and we shall see over the next few weeks, but it may quite literally be impossible to have a worse record. Low expectations combined with lots of young talent getting better over the next few years make a sweet spot for an NFL coach.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
And those guys are experts. They should be NFL decision makers but instead choose to work mid-level management jobs at small accounting firms in Joliet. Thankfully they still impart their wisdom and NFL knowledge here for us to enjoy.

Or Antioch...

ping001

Liked Posts:

DeFilippo is the QB coach and the eagles arent allowing anyone to talk to him, so Frank Reich the OC will mostly be looked at, but dont discount Jon Gruden who is pondering a comeback , Jim Harbaugh and Todd Haley the Steelers OC.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
DeFilippo is the QB coach and the eagles arent allowing anyone to talk to him, so Frank Reich the OC will mostly be looked at, but dont discount Jon Gruden who is pondering a comeback , Jim Harbaugh and Todd Haley the Steelers OC.

Wrong, they can't block him to be a HC or OC, at all. That would be a shit thing to even think about doing, but from a legality point, they can not keep him from going QB coach to even OC to another team in their own division at this point.