Best and worst potential NFL head coach openings in 2018

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21759278/ranking-best-nfl-potential-head-coach-openings-2018

3. Chicago Bears

If you want your Rams analogue for this upcoming offseason, it's lurking in the Midway. The Bears have their own struggling rookie quarterback in Mitchell Trubisky. He has actually played better than Goff did last season, but teams around the league were more confident about Goff than they were about the Bears' 2017 first-round selection.

Get Trubisky going and this roster suddenly looks appetizing. The defense has quietly leaped above league-average for the first time since 2012, per DVOA, although it has been masked by the league's second-toughest slate of opposing offensive attacks. The Bears have an impressive offensive line when everyone's healthy, one of the best one-two running back duos in football, and should have $65 million to spend this offseason after cutting Mike Glennon.

I would be worried, though, about spending that money with Ryan Pace as general manager. The Bears might be coming off the worst free-agent period since the Dream Team Eagles, which included letting Alshon Jeffery leave without a franchise tag so they could give $18.5 million to Glennon instead. Dion Sims (three years, $18 million) has 13 catches in 11 games. Marcus Cooper (three years, $16 million) fumbled away a would-be return touchdown against the Steelers, was subsequently torched and benched, and has barely been seen since. Markus Wheaton (two years, $11 million) had one catch in eight games before being put on IR. Prince Amukamara has been their best big-money signing, and he's on a one-year deal.

Coincidentally, the Bears need to follow the Rams' model and get Trubisky some weapons at receiver this offseason. If they had a passing game right now, they might be on the fringes of playoff contention.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I said earlier I thought they would be 3.

I think if Trubisky continues to show major improvements that they could vault up even higher.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
So basically the Bears have the best? O'Brien and Jackson are staying put. No way they risk losing what Watson was doing early this season and O'Brien has owned that division since he's been there even with all the injuries and shit QB's. Browns GM has already signed off on keeping Hue.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
The Bears might be coming off the worst free-agent period since the Dream Team Eagles, which included letting Alshon Jeffery leave without a franchise tag so they could give $18.5 million to Glennon instead. Dion Sims (three years, $18 million) has 13 catches in 11 games. Marcus Cooper (three years, $16 million) fumbled away a would-be return touchdown against the Steelers, was subsequently torched and benched, and has barely been seen since. Markus Wheaton (two years, $11 million) had one catch in eight games before being put on IR. Prince Amukamara has been their best big-money signing, and he's on a one-year deal.

Dont tell pace fanboys about this or they will get pissed.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I said earlier I thought they would be 3.

I think if Trubisky continues to show major improvements that they could vault up even higher.

You actually stated they would be behind the Giants, Colts, Bengals and Tampa Bay. Also, you said they would not even be able to get interviews with some top candidates.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i can watch that girl spill syrup on herself all day

Syrup?

Hopefully Houston and Cleveland keep their coaches though I believe O'Brien is done. That said, I think I'd rather have the Chicago job over the Cleveland one.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston Texans #1???

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Clv 2??? Who likes losing?

They have the #1 pick, the #6 pick, three 2nd round picks, and $1 billion in cap space. And this is all on top of the three 1st rounders they just drafted this season (Myles Garrett looks like the next big star) plus the return of Josh Gordon. Also, Deshone Kizer is starting to put it together.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Sure but it's CLV. They always have good draft picks and former good draft picks. It never changes anything.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
They have the #1 pick, the #6 pick, three 2nd round picks, and $1 billion in cap space. And this is all on top of the three 1st rounders they just drafted this season (Myles Garrett looks like the next big star) plus the return of Josh Gordon. Also, Deshone Kizer is starting to put it together.

Yes, even with the good situation that we have, the Browns are in position this year to dominate the off season. And yet somehow, they will again be a bottom dweller of the entire league. They have had good cap space and low draft picks for several years, but they are just snake bit.

Maybe they are watching too many movie about drafting and they are trying to get too cute in the war room. Plus Washington also proves that cap space does not mean anything if you do not spend it wisely.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Dont tell pace fanboys about this or they will get pissed.

Yeah cause Pace fanboys didn't already know any of this...lol. Hahahaha

The good thing is that every single one of those players were signed to contracts that make them a one year tryout player. He gave them a shot and a few of them didn't work out so now he can cut the guys that really didn't work and collect more money to use elsewhere in this coming free agency.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Forgot about their draft options. Ya, Cleveland > Bears but it does mean you have to live in Cleveland.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes, even with the good situation that we have, the Browns are in position this year to dominate the off season. And yet somehow, they will again be a bottom dweller of the entire league. They have had good cap space and low draft picks for several years, but they are just snake bit.

Maybe they are watching too many movie about drafting and they are trying to get too cute in the war room. Plus Washington also proves that cap space does not mean anything if you do not spend it wisely.

Their cap space is meaningless if noone wants to play for them.