Weak 15: Lions 20, Bears 10 - the shoopster breaks it down . . .

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
What happened? the shoopster thought everything was fixed.

Indeed, after last week's sutprising victory over the hapless Cincinnati Bengals, the shoopster was told here at CCS that coiffed but quaffed General Manager Ryan Pace's plan was right on target; that bonus baby quarterback "Frisky" Mitch Trubisky had proven himself the real thing; that Offensive Coordinator Duh-well Loggains showed why it might be worthwhile for him to stick around; that "Vaunted" Vic Fangio had proven once again why "THE BEARS CAN'T LOSE FANGIO" ... hell, there were even a few brave souls who dared suggest arrogant, crotchety Head Coach might have something left.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the Bears were gonna run the table and finish 7-and-9. So what happened?

What happened is the bunch of bums currently calling themselves showed once again they are who we thought they were, a poorly-coached collection of misfits and misfires brought together by the puerile Pace from the depths of the draft, the fallacy of free agency, and the street, from where the unprepared GM pulled sudden starter Chris Kwiatkowski and Lamarr Houston, among others. Saturday's 20-to-10 loss to the Lions wasn't even that close, and agonizing to sit through. This team is in disarray, and the franchise is going in the wrong direction, having today secured their fourth straight season of double-digit losses, three of them under wunderkind Pace. Thus does the shoopster break it down . . .

. . . Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky stands at the crossroads. He has proven himself a competent enough game manager, if that is the object is to wile away 60 minutes of clock, final score be damned. But if the object is to justify the faith shown with the #2 pick in the draft by leading a successful offense and elevating the play of those around him, then The Frisky One has a lot of work to do. His first half was more of the usual - high percentage passes for minimal yardage, no mistakes, but nothing impressive either. In the second half, Fox and Loggains allowed him to air the ball out a little, and Trubisky showed himself every bit a work in progress.

Trubisky's 3 second half interceptions aren't a large concern, but his continued sloppy mechanics certainly are. His inaccuracy can no longer be explained away as rookie jitters and now seem to track right back to his poor technique. It is time for the Quarterback's Coach to do his job and help clean this up, lest we have another Jay Cutler on our hands. Of course, the difference between Cutler and Trubisky is Cutler had the incredible arm to bail out his lack of discipline; Trubisky isn't that gifted. This needs to get fixed.

Trubisky also contributed to the Bears' healthy penalty total with two unacceptable delay of game penalties - on the same drive. He just sat there under center while the playclock ticked down to zero, doing nothing until the refs stepped in. The penalties underscored a general lack of focus from The Frisky One that lingered like a bad hangover all game. Not one of Trubisky's better performances . . .

. . . The rungame continued the season-long roller coaster by disappearing one week after a dominant performance. Jordan "Hubba Hubba" Howard, as he is wont to do, ran like he was in slow-motion, though Howard did provide hope for the future by catching several passes and turning them into nice gains. Tarik "The Freak" Cohen, for his part, was largely invisible on offense save for another ill-advised wildcat snap, but Cohen's situation doesn't really bother the shoopster, who considers "The Freak" a gimmick on offense . . .

. . . Josh Bellamy took 53 snaps, leading the receivers. Bellamy's best trait is his durability, which is too bad, because a nice concussion would do wonders for putting him out of Bears' fans misery. And suddenly - it's "Mucus" Wheaton. Wheaton was running all over the place as Trubisky passes skipped on the ground past him, the victim either of The Frisky One's aforementioned poor technique or The Mucussy Ones poor route running or both. Kendall Wright was out there a lot too, as was Dontrelle Inman, who after looking a few weeks ago like something desperate Bear fans were willing to latch onto has 1 catch the last two weeks. These receivers are shit, but let the shoopster make one thing clear - they are not ALWAYS COVERED as Trubisky apologists like to insist they are . . .

. . . On defense, "Vaunted" Vic called another listless game. Poor pressure on Matt Stafford, big cushions on the corners, and a bend-don't-break-but-still-give-up-points-so-really-we-are-breaking approach that might have slowed Detroit's occasionally explosive offense, but didn't stop them. With such a conservative defensive call, there was no intercepting the often reckless Stafford. One year after tying an NFL record for fewest takeaways that included a measly 8 interceptions, Fangio's defense only has 6 INTs on the year. It will be every bit as gratifying watching him leave town with his big-mouthed tail between his legs as it will be Fox; Fangio never lived up to his advance billing and is going out with a whimper . . .

. . . As of course is the crotchety Head Coach. John Fox is now 13-and-33 in his Bears tenure. The loss to the Lions dropped the woebegone Fox to 3-and-15 in the NFC North. The Bears' unbelievable 13 penalties exhibited once again the lack of focus that has been a hallmark of this team since Fox and his shit-for-brains staff started coaching them. Another 4 Bears went down with injuries, more frosting on the crap cake whipped up by Strength and Conditioning Coach Jason George, who has pathetically been following Fox around since Carolina.

Week after week, John Fox descends further into infamy and ignominity by insisting on "challenging" the coaching record of Abe Gibron, for Halas's sake. The fact that this man remains Head Coach of this team and is allowed to continue to lead the Bears into uninspired efforts that insult the intelligence and the loyalty of the fans is a large black mark against GM Pace, "King" George McCaskey, and fervent but frazzled Ginny McCaskey, whom Bear fans are led to believe truly cares about them. This team doesn't reflect an ownership group or front office or coaching staff that cares about anything. Not even their own jobs.

The Bears are the bottom.

Last edited:

ping001

Liked Posts:
Bears overall play was sloppy, lots of offensive line penalties. This team looks so undisciplined and that starts with the head coach.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Backups or not, the penalties are mostly on the coaching staff. Unacceptable.

I had the game on, but honestly wasn't watching too closely. Did I miss a standard weekly ill-advised Fox-challenge flag?

AussieBear

much mer betta than your biggs 10 thoughts dat turns into 30

billwade

Liked Posts:
Can the Bears really be faulted for looking past this game? Let's face it, this was a trap game, and the Bears were caught napping. but who can blame them if they were peaking ahead to the only game that really matters: The Loser Bowl.

Here's a chance for the Bears to grab the mantle as the worst team in football away from the Browns. Could they really do it? It's possible. If Trubisky flings the pill around again like Matt Barkley, the Browns might actually avoid 0-16.

I'm going to only make one direct comment relating to the shoopster's post. It's time to quit giving Trubisky a free pass on some really horrid play. The receivers do suck, but they get open more often than anyone dare admit. I like Trubisky and hope he succeeds, but he better make a big jump during the offseason because another year of what we've seen so far isn't going to cut it.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

The penalties weren't on the backups,made spite Fox's attempt to lie that one away in the post game presser - all but one of the flags were on starters.

The Bears have been a poorly disciplined team since Fox and his shit-for-brains coaching staff arrived. He's done nothing to fix it and Pace has done nothing to fix him. Sitting up in the press box looking pretty isn't going to cut it anymore. DO something . . .

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They called offside on Leno not delay of game which would have happened anyway lol

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Every bears fan Christmas gift to themself this year

b15cfa2b501546a0e9dcaed3ff7898b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
I like the post, but I must disagree, the Bears are not bottom. As I have said before, the bottom is a few years away, and once they are there, the Bears will dwell there for a long time until either they sell, move, or luck out by finding a GM that turns this around. I doubt the latter happens.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

I had the game on, but honestly wasn't watching too closely. Did I miss a standard weekly ill-advised Fox-challenge flag?

No, but you might have missed the weekly being a pussy and punting on 4th and inches.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the post, but I must disagree, the Bears are not bottom. As I have said before, the bottom is a few years away, and once they are there, the Bears will dwell there for a long time until either they sell, move, or luck out by finding a GM that turns this around. I doubt the latter happens.

This isn't the bottom?

The Bears have lost to the Niners and may well lose to the Browns next week.

They have lost 10+ games four years on a row.

The third year of their rancid rebuilding has produced a 4-and-10 record, no discernible improvement anywhere on either side of the ball (including quarterback, where the balleyhooed bonus baby is leading the 31st ranked offense in the NFL and can't score touchdowns).

Their Peter Principle'd General Manager is missing in action, refusing to step in and stem the stench of a Head Coach rotting away before our very eyes.

The fanbase, meanwhile, has finally been conditioned by the franchise and a millenial tendency to praise and award the most mundane of mundanities by praising mere execution in the absence of excellence (Cody Whitehair, Kyle Fuller, "Vaunted" Vic Fangio) and accept the ludicrous notion that the cupboard was barer for Ryan Pace than it was for Phil Emery "Bored" or Jerry "Slick" Angelo (it wasn't) in order to try to justify what looks like a 7-or 8-year rebuild.

The latter is the most cat or that this franchise has lost its way. Should Ryan Pace be fired after three seasons and a 13-and-33 record and his rebuild a interminable invalid? In an ideal world, yes, as he's proven he is overmatched and may never catch up. But the Bears simply can't make that change after being forced to pull the trigger so quickly on predecessor Emery. So Pace gets an undeserved second chance with a new Head Coach and two more years, with the fantasy that his bonus baby quarterback can regain The aggressiveness that has been coached out of him by the current shit-for-brains staff and somehow look like something more than the second coming of Cade McNown, who had 300 yard games of his own.

So we're stuck with him. But let's stop pretending that Pace's rebuild is right where it's supposed to be. This is a fiasco.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can the Bears really be faulted for looking past this game?

I'm going to only make one direct comment relating to the shoopster's post. It's time to quit giving Trubisky a free pass on some really horrid play. The receivers do suck, but they get open more often than anyone dare admit. I like Trubisky and hope he succeeds, but he better make a big jump during the offseason because another year of what we've seen so far isn't going to cut it.

I think the Bears and their fans are looking past the season. This year has been an exercise in futility; awful from top to bottom.

I don’t think MT gets a “free pass” and I’m not sure who is giving him said pass. That said, he is a rookie with not only bad receivers but bad coaching and bad game planning. He is learning and he has the ability and if can get adequate coaching I think he’ll make Bears fans very happy. I just don’t know why anyone would think that what you are seeing this year is what you are going to see next year based upon a limited rookie season. Frankly, I am not the least bit concerned as long as Pace doesn’t completely fuck up the off season. I wouldn’t put that past him but I do believe that jettisoning Fox and his staff and being aggressive but smart in the offseason can fix the offense. ‘

I think the tie to judge MT is sometime next year or even after next year.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears and their fans are looking past the season. This year has been an exercise in futility; awful from top to bottom.

I don’t think MT gets a “free pass” and I’m not sure who is giving him said pass. That said, he is a rookie with not only bad receivers but bad coaching and bad game planning. He is learning and he has the ability and if can get adequate coaching I think he’ll make Bears fans very happy. I just don’t know why anyone would think that what you are seeing this year is what you are going to see next year based upon a limited rookie season. Frankly, I am not the least bit concerned as long as Pace doesn’t completely fuck up the off season. I wouldn’t put that past him but I do believe that jettisoning Fox and his staff and being aggressive but smart in the offseason can fix the offense. ‘

I think the tie to judge MT is sometime next year or even after next year.

If Bear fans want to wait before judging "Frisky" Mitchell Trubisky, the shoopster won't begrudge them. Indeed is it far too early to label The Frisky One the bus out that Kevin White and Leonard Floyd appear to be. But there are concerns about his game. And it is time to stop overlooking those.

Chief concern is his mechanics. They are absolute awful, not getting better, and contributing to the poorly thrown, overthrown, and under thrown balls that have manifested themselves in major inaccuracy issues. The mechanics aren't getting better. It is nothing more than laziness on Trubisky's part and the part of the quarterbacks coach. THIS NEEDS TO GET FIXED and Bear fans shouldn't have to wait to see progress on something as elementary as throwing a football.

Last edited: