Philip "Teflon" Rivers

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Over the last two to three week, analysts all over the NFL have predicted the Chargers win the AFC West.

So, they go to KC with the season in the balance, and Rivers throws three INT's.

NO criticism. Mike "Vanilla" Tirico gives him the Favre treatment and praises him for "trying to make plays", while he cost his team its most critical game of the year.

Rivers has great talent, and has had many strong performances. I am not saying he stinks as a QB.

But can someone PLEASE tell me why this guy seems to always escape criticism? He constantly bitches to refs. He constantly bitches at teammates in the open, during the game. He NEVER takes responsibility for his own mistakes. It is always a call or a receiver's mistake, even when he throws it directly to the D as he did tonight.

Who is handling this guy's PR ? They deserve a raise!

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
The Chargers are irrelevant so nobody really notices what Rivers does

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Over the last two to three week, analysts all over the NFL have predicted the Chargers win the AFC West.

So, they go to KC with the season in the balance, and Rivers throws three INT's.

NO criticism. Mike "Vanilla" Tirico gives him the Favre treatment and praises him for "trying to make plays", while he cost his team its most critical game of the year.

Rivers has great talent, and has had many strong performances. I am not saying he stinks as a QB.

But can someone PLEASE tell me why this guy seems to always escape criticism? He constantly bitches to refs. He constantly bitches at teammates in the open, during the game. He NEVER takes responsibility for his own mistakes. It is always a call or a receiver's mistake, even when he throws it directly to the D as he did tonight.

Who is handling this guy's PR ? They deserve a raise
!

Sounds like the same people who are handling Ryan Pace's PR . . .

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
He’s the biggest bitch in the league. Can’t stand looking at him. He was a good QB tho.

My guess now it comes down to his tenure and his past accomplishments. Once a player sets a norm in the NFL the commentators lay off in the twilight years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rivers is everything Cutler was accused of being.

Rivers is a better QB, and I am not asking for Jay back, believe me. But Cutler did NOT bitch at teammates, and did NOT whine to refs, yet somehow got the reputation for doing those things.

I have been watching NFL football for a long, long time, and i have never seen any QB do either of those things half as frequently as Rivers. I am not exaggerating. Turn on a Chargers game, and watch two quarters, and you'll see both more than once. It is uncanny. Yet he gets away with it. Unreal.

As I have mentioned before, the all time great that nobody called him on: Cutler goes down with the knee injury in the NFC championship. Rivers tweets that he would never leave a game with such an injury. Yet he had done exactly that!! SAME injury, and he came out. His team won, and he valiantly played the next week on one leg. And was so horrible his team lost. Yet he gets hero treatment for it. (And LT took the heat.) He called an NFL QB out for doing exactly what he himself had done, and nobody criticized. Unreal.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Funny thing is, unlike Tirico, folks on Twitter are quite critical.

First tweet I see is "Philip Rivers probably blamed his parents when he crapped his pants."
AND
"Philip Rivers leads the league in INT's immediately followed by yelling at his receivers."
AND
"Philip Rivers throws his helmet in frustration. Of course, it's intercepted."

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People like their TOYS movies.

phil-buzz.png

DMx_J2sUMAAX-32.jpg

Also "Yellow, absorbent, and porous is he"

philip-rivers-looks-like-sponge-bob.jpg

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't give a shit about the Chargers. 99% of the people out there still think they are in San Diego. The rest know they are in LA but don't care.

Rivers is the west coast version of Cutler. Good some days, amazingly bad others. This was bad Rivers night. He will live forever in stupid youtube videos showing his best passes otherwise no one will remember him in 20 years.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Who is handling this guy's PR ? They deserve a raise!

He deserves as much blame as anyone after a loss like this, but I’m sure being a future HOFer gets him the benefit of the doubt. Put up the numbers, get the love.

mecha

Liked Posts:
He deserves as much blame as anyone after a loss like this, but I’m sure being a future HOFer gets him the benefit of the doubt. Put up the numbers, get the love.

this has been passed along here several times now that Rivers is a future HOFer. and it's funny, cause there's always some counterargument about players like Hester that changed the entire game based on how much of a threat he was, and he's not deserving of it, but Rivers is? Rivers hasn't been on a relevant Chargers team in 10 years. 4 years into his career. if he was playing on shitty teams, like he has been, and was still winning games despite how shitty they were like say, Dan Marino and the Dolphins, I would buy the argument. I'm not dissing you dude, I'm just trying to comprehend wtf he's done to deserve the HOF.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
this has been passed along here several times now that Rivers is a future HOFer. and it's funny, cause there's always some counterargument about players like Hester that changed the entire game based on how much of a threat he was, and he's not deserving of it, but Rivers is? Rivers hasn't been on a relevant Chargers team in 10 years. 4 years into his career. if he was playing on shitty teams, like he has been, and was still winning games despite how shitty they were like say, Dan Marino and the Dolphins, I would buy the argument. I'm not dissing you dude, I'm just trying to comprehend wtf he's done to deserve the HOF.

He’s #7 and climbing in all time TDs. He’ll probably finish #5 or #6. No one else in the top 10 has gotten denied or will get denied entry into the Hall.

He’s #9 and climbing in all time passing yards. No one else in the top 10 has been denied or will get denied entry into the Hall.

He’s one of only 2 players all time to throw for 3,500 yards every single year for at least 10 years in a row. The other is Peyton Manning.

Whether you like him or not, it’s not close. Rivers will be a Hall of Famer. He’s in rarified air, even if certain football fans can’t see it.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He’s #7 and climbing in all time TDs. He’ll probably finish #5 or #6. No one else in the top 10 has gotten denied or will get denied entry into the Hall.

He’s #9 and climbing in all time passing yards. No one else in the top 10 has been denied or will get denied entry into the Hall.

He’s one of only 2 players all time to throw for 3,500 yards every single year for at least 10 years in a row. The other is Peyton Manning.

Whether you like him or not, it’s not close. Rivers will be a Hall of Famer. He’s in rarified air, even if certain football fans can’t see it.

Probably not. Yards stats don't really matter much anymore in this era. Just look at the clearly more HOF worthy QBs within about 5 years of him either way (a sort of his generation type thing):

Manning
Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Roethlisberger
Eli

He's probably seventh in his generation, has never even been to a Super Bowl. All he's got are career stats in an era of overinflated stats. Always had good talent around him. He's not going to make it.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

I'm not sure rising in the stat categories matters in this era of inflated passing numbers. That's going to be the tough decision on some of these QB's, their numbers are influenced because of the rule changes in the NFL that promoted a "more exciting" passing game. If you judge a player by the impact he had on the game, Rivers doesn't sniff the HOF.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yawn. Cry me a Rivers.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Cutler goes down with the knee injury in the NFC championship. Rivers tweets that he would never leave a game with such an injury. Yet he had done exactly that!! SAME injury, and he came out. His team won, and he valiantly played the next week on one leg. And was so horrible his team lost. Yet he gets hero treatment for it. (And LT took the heat.) He called an NFL QB out for doing exactly what he himself had done, and nobody criticized. Unreal.

Rivers never tweeted that

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yet in the era of inflated passing stats, as you guys say, he’s still one of only two players with 10+ straight years of 3,500 yards.

Besides, being in an age of inflated stats has never hurt people’s chances at the Hall. Look at the offense in baseball. Has any eligible non-steroid user with 3+ season of 50 homers been denied? How about players with 500+ homers? 3,000 hits?

Hall of Fame voters in any sport don’t typically hold your era against you. You’re judged on a blend of numbers and eye-test. The better you are at one, the less the other matters. He’s there on stats, by far. It won’t be close. He’ll likely get in the first year he’s eligible.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who gives a "rip" about Phillip Rivers? . . .