dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Would you want B.O'Brien if he was out there to get next off season?

http://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1T0u...Uy12h0DhhCxf2NlKvaBNee_h8tQlf36iIEKrd0vlUpiqQ

It’s almost over. Another difficult Chicago Bears season in which they’ll boast a fourth-straight losing record is mercifully nearing an end.
John Fox, with his record sitting at 13-33 with two games to play almost assures his firing at the end of the year. Especially given the fact he’d be entering the last year of his contract otherwise. Lame duck coaches are like kryptonite for NFL teams. They repel good free agents and other hires because nobody likes to work with questionable job security. It’s hard to blame them.

Thus the question shifts to this January. If and when the Bears do fire Fox, who should they replace him with? There are plenty of names floating around from Josh McDaniels to Jim Harbaugh, Frank Reich, David Shaw and Todd Haley among others. However, a new name has surfaced as a possibility. That being Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien.

Dov Kleiman

@NFL_DovKleiman
Per @mlombardiNFL, he suspects the #Texans might fire head coach Bill O'Brien at the end of the regular season.

O’Brien also in danger of entering lame duck status
The situation surrounding O’Brien is a chaotic one. He’s managed to get the Texans to the playoffs two years in a row but failed to get beyond the divisional round both times. There is no doubting he has done great work with the quarterbacks. Many are anxious to see what he might be able to do with a healthy Deshaun Watson for a full season after the two went on a tear earlier this season with 19 touchdown passes.

It’s difficult to ascertain where he stands. If the Texans were completely sold on him, they would’ve extended him already. At 4-9 though they’re left wondering whether they might be able to do better. Injuries of course are a huge factor but they’ve lost five games decided by one score. So it’s not like they haven’t had their chances despite the setbacks.

Thus the conundrum for the Bears is this. If the Texans decide to part ways with O’Brien, do they look to grab him? It’s hard to ignore his offensive background. O’Brien is one of the best play callers in the league. Watson and Tom Brady can attest to that. It’s not hard to think he’d be able to do so much in helping Trubisky become the quarterback he should be.

At the same time O’Brien would be another retread coaching hire, and everybody knows how swell things just went down that path with Fox. Nothing is certain. Still, if he does become available it might be awfully tough not to pick up that phone if you’re Ryan Pace.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I dont want anymore fired Head coaches. The bears tried that with fox. There is a reason those guys got fired. Find an up and coming coordinator or a college HC.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Belicheck and Kubiak were both fired. Won Super Bowls. Almost every coach has been fired at one time or another. They shouldn’t rule someone out because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Belicheck and Kubiak were both fired. Won Super Bowls. Almost every coach has been fired at one time or another. They shouldn’t rule someone out because of it.

yeah but no one hired them right after that they were fired. They got coordinator gigs afterward.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I dont want anymore fired Head coaches. The bears tried that with fox. There is a reason those guys got fired. Find an up and coming coordinator or a college HC.

I get it but if we want a HC that will get the most out of Trubs then O'Brien would be up there with most other coaches that will be available. He's dealt with big injuries with Houston as much as the Bears have or at least close to it especially on his defense and has still had that team playing pretty well and did it with bad QB's up until he got D.Watson.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
He’s been riffing with the GM for years. I wouldn’t pull him away from Watson if I was the GM, but whatever.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
yeah but no one hired them right after that they were fired. They got coordinator gigs afterward.

That’s why one of my favorites is Pat Shurmer. Won 9 games in two years with Cleveland. Had Brandon Weeden and Colt McCoy as QB’s and almost no defense.
Doing great in Minny with a backup QB and RB and makeshift OL.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

He doesn't have a contract after this year. He wouldn't technically be "fired" if he isn't brought back. I'd rather not go with a retread either, especially one who hasn't had a ton of success. But O'Brien would be worth looking into for sure.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
He doesn't have a contract after this year. He wouldn't technically be "fired" if he isn't brought back. I'd rather not go with a retread either, especially one who hasn't had a ton of success. But O'Brien would be worth looking into for sure.

Let's not play semantics. Fox wasn't "fired" from Denver either but they couldn't get rid of him fast enough and won the super bowl with the same team (and a worse manning) minus fox. O' Brien is not the guy. He might be good but not this soon after he is going to be fired.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He’s been riffing with the GM for years. I wouldn’t pull him away from Watson if I was the GM, but whatever.

Yeah i'm with you on that. When they had Watson they were looking like a legit team and definitely a playoff team. They have a good defense as well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Let's not play semantics. Fox wasn't "fired" from Denver either but they couldn't get rid of him fast enough and won the super bowl with the same team (and a worse manning) minus fox. O' Brien is not the guy. He might be good but not this soon after he is going to be fired.

J.Fox still took them to the Super Bowl though and i would say he played a much better team in Seatte then Kubiak did playing Carolina. That Seattle team was a beast at that time.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you want B.O'Brien if he was out there to get next off season?

http://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1T0u...Uy12h0DhhCxf2NlKvaBNee_h8tQlf36iIEKrd0vlUpiqQ

It’s almost over. Another difficult Chicago Bears season in which they’ll boast a fourth-straight losing record is mercifully nearing an end.
John Fox, with his record sitting at 13-33 with two games to play almost assures his firing at the end of the year. Especially given the fact he’d be entering the last year of his contract otherwise. Lame duck coaches are like kryptonite for NFL teams. They repel good free agents and other hires because nobody likes to work with questionable job security. It’s hard to blame them.

Thus the question shifts to this January. If and when the Bears do fire Fox, who should they replace him with? There are plenty of names floating around from Josh McDaniels to Jim Harbaugh, Frank Reich, David Shaw and Todd Haley among others. However, a new name has surfaced as a possibility. That being Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien.

Dov Kleiman

@NFL_DovKleiman
Per @mlombardiNFL, he suspects the #Texans might fire head coach Bill O'Brien at the end of the regular season.

O’Brien also in danger of entering lame duck status
The situation surrounding O’Brien is a chaotic one. He’s managed to get the Texans to the playoffs two years in a row but failed to get beyond the divisional round both times. There is no doubting he has done great work with the quarterbacks. Many are anxious to see what he might be able to do with a healthy Deshaun Watson for a full season after the two went on a tear earlier this season with 19 touchdown passes.

It’s difficult to ascertain where he stands. If the Texans were completely sold on him, they would’ve extended him already. At 4-9 though they’re left wondering whether they might be able to do better. Injuries of course are a huge factor but they’ve lost five games decided by one score. So it’s not like they haven’t had their chances despite the setbacks.

Thus the conundrum for the Bears is this. If the Texans decide to part ways with O’Brien, do they look to grab him? It’s hard to ignore his offensive background. O’Brien is one of the best play callers in the league. Watson and Tom Brady can attest to that. It’s not hard to think he’d be able to do so much in helping Trubisky become the quarterback he should be.

At the same time O’Brien would be another retread coaching hire, and everybody knows how swell things just went down that path with Fox. Nothing is certain. Still, if he does become available it might be awfully tough not to pick up that phone if you’re Ryan Pace.
never has a HC done so little with so much talent.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
never has a HC done so little with so much talent.

I disagree that he done "little."

He took over a 2-14 team they went 9-7 his first season. That's pretty impressive.

Then look at the QB's he had: Ryan Fitzpatrick, who O'Brien made look pretty good, Brian Hoyer who has his best season under O'Brien and led the Texans to the playoffs, and then Brock Osweiler, who is just trash, but the Texans still made it to the playoffs, despite not having a healthy JJ Watt.

If O'Brien had a consistent, competent QB, the Texans could have been much scarier. But it's hard to get far with Fitz, Hoyer, and Osweiler. But given what he was working with, he did a hell of a job.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
It would be a funny and odd twist in the Mitch vs Watson debate, particularly if Mitch explodes next year, and Watson struggles.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Word is Rick Smith and O'Brien have never been on the same page. Smith, apparently does things his way with little input from coaches.

Word is O'Brien really wanted Carr in 2014, instead Smith took a Gaurd at the top of the 2nd round and then took Savage in the 4th.

Their relationship hasn't been the same since.

O'Brien is a really good coach who needs a GM with a similar vision.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Word is Rick Smith and O'Brien have never been on the same page. Smith, apparently does things his way with little input from coaches.

Word is O'Brien really wanted Carr in 2014, instead Smith took a Gaurd at the top of the 2nd round and then took Savage in the 4th.

Their relationship hasn't been the same since.

O'Brien is a really good coach who needs a GM with a similar vision.

So do you think he'd be a good choice for the Bears? Or at least someone Pace should have on his list and close to the top of it? I actually see him with Giants if he does get fired but i'd definitely have him in my top 5.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
So do you think he'd be a good choice for the Bears? Or at least someone Pace should have on his list and close to the top of it? I actually see him with Giants if he does get fired but i'd definitely have him in my top 5.

I can't answer the first question but I will say he should be on the interview list if indeed he is let go.

The coach and GM must be on the same page. This is paramount.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
O'Brien is not Fox, so comparing them is not reasonable.

While he would be a "retread" he is an offensive mind that would help Trubisky. If we want to build around Trubisky then giving him a HC that calls the plays will give him the stability to grow.

Not completely a stupid idea, actual it is the kind of coach that the Bears Ownership would like, and I'm not sure Pace would hate the pick either because his future is tied to Trubisky, and Obrien would be good for him.