Pittsburgh - New England

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Your both wrong, but Alpha got it right......

No, you are wrong. All scoring plays get reviewed. If it is ruled a TD on the field, it is reviewed. If it is not ruled a TD, then it must be challenged, or be within the 2 minute warning to trigger an auto review.

It isn't rocket science.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Not the way it works, Golden Tate Vs Atlanta was ruled a TD, overturned, and because Detroit had no time outs, ten seconds were run off the clock. Game over. I didn't see a ten second run-off so I am assuming they charged Pitt a time out.

I don't recall the specifics of the Golden Tate play, but I'm assuming ten seconds were run off because Detroit would have benefited from the stoppage.

Since the ruling overtuned James' catch to an incomplete pass the clock would have stopped anyway. No ten second runoff needed, or timeout to be used.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't Steelers use their last timeout after that long catch and run anyway?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't recall the specifics of the Golden Tate play, but I'm assuming ten seconds were run off because Detroit would have benefited from the stoppage.

Since the ruling overtuned James' catch to an incomplete pass the clock would have stopped anyway. No ten second runoff needed, or timeout to be used.

Yes this is correct.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Your both wrong, but Alpha got it right......
I wasn't wrong. In that case, a 10 second runoff is not a penalty for losing a challenge. In fact, it could play to your teams advantage.
It's not like losing a time out because you lost the challenge.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, you are wrong. All scoring plays get reviewed. If it is ruled a TD on the field, it is reviewed. If it is not ruled a TD, then it must be challenged, or be within the 2 minute warning to trigger an auto review.

It isn't rocket science.

Again, your wrong, and there is no point in arguing it. Had that been ruled a catch, but he didn't cross the plane, a ten second run-off would have occurred, or Pittsburgh would have been charged a time out (if they had one).

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK but makes no sense as time is stopped after TD anyway.

The Golden Tate incident was similar, but it was ruled he caught the ball, but didn't cross the plane. Originally I thought that was what was beign reviewed. But because he didn't catch it, the clock stopped.

Had they ruled that a complete pass, but he didn't cross the plane, they would have had a clock run-off.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
here is the NFL’s rule 4.7.4:

If a replay review inside of one minute of either half results in the on-field ruling being reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock, then the officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal.

Tate was short of goal line so time would not have stopped. Steelers TD pass ruled incomplete so time would have stopped.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn't wrong. In that case, a 10 second runoff is not a penalty for losing a challenge. In fact, it could play to your teams advantage.
It's not like losing a time out because you lost the challenge.

Nothing was brought up about losing a challenge, and a challenge didn't happen in either scenario, as both were official reviews. You were either wrong, or your working was wrong, doesn't matter, I got the clarification I was looking for.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Again, your wrong, and there is no point in arguing it. Had that been ruled a catch, but he didn't cross the plane, a ten second run-off would have occurred, or Pittsburgh would have been charged a time out (if they had one).
Runoff, yes.
But they would not have been charged a timeout.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Steelers got jobbed. Rodgers was definitely held and tackled on the last play.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
here is the NFL’s rule 4.7.4:

If a replay review inside of one minute of either half results in the on-field ruling being reversed and the correct ruling would not have stopped the game clock, then the officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready-for-play signal.

Tate was short of goal line so time would not have stopped. Steers TD pass ruled incomplete so time would have stopped.

Exactly, I forgot for Pittsburgh it was incomplete.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Nothing was brought up about losing a challenge, and a challenge didn't happen in either scenario, as both were official reviews. You were either wrong, or your working was wrong, doesn't matter, I got the clarification I was looking for.
If my wording was incorrect it was because you were talking about losing time out.
They would not have lost a timeout in that situation, even if they have one.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If my wording was incorrect it was because you were talking about losing time out.
They would not have lost a timeout in that situation, even if they have one.

no, you don't get a ten second run-off if you have a time out, you would lose your time out. If you don't have a time out, then the ten second run-ff occurs. I asked if Pitt had a time out left (I didn't know).

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
no, you don't get a ten second run-off if you have a time out, you would lose your time out. If you don't have a time out, then the ten second run-ff occurs. I asked if Pitt had a time out left (I didn't know).
Spartan just posted the rule, word for word.
It never mentioned a time out.
You are wrong.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I told the wife i wouldn't be getting too cocky if I were New England or Pitts right now...I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacksonville mess one of them up....Fournette will be healthy and Bortles gets hot at the end of the year.....

but yeah that rule is BS....honestly I thought it was BS back when Calvin Johnson got jobbed against us and I thought it was BS when we got jobbed by it...same w/ the Dez Bryant thing at Green Bay a few years ago, the ground can't cause a fumble on a run, but on a pass you have to control it...but it if hits the ground and the ground causes a fumble....what a ridiculously convoluted crock

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
One thing though. Either team can CHOOSE to use a time out to prevent the 10 second runoff, but no team loses One automatically in that situation.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
Spartan just posted the rule, word for word.
It never mentioned a time out.
You are wrong.

I'm guessing the Steelers would've gotten to choose had they had a time out. It would've been take the TO or 10 seconds off. What if there was 9 seconds left and they had a TO left, the refs couldn't possibly say sorry, game over.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing the Steelers would've gotten to choose had they had a time out. It would've been take the TO or 10 seconds off. What if there was 9 seconds left and they had a TO left, the refs couldn't possibly say sorry, game over.
Yes.