ESPN: BEARS Best Bet To Be 2018's Version Of Rams

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx171218/los-angeles-rams-historic-2017-nfl-turnaround-2018-candidates-go-worst-first

Chicago is as close as we can get to last year's Rams. The Bears have an underrated defense led by an interior disruptor in Akiem Hicks, with Fangio's unit ranking 14th in DVOA before Saturday's 20-10 loss to the Lions. The Bears traded up to grab their quarterback of the future in the 2017 draft, but Mitchell Trubisky hasn't been very good; the second overall pick is last in the league in Total QBR (26.6), with a scarcely believable 3.4 QBR when under pressure. The Bears have a franchise running back but lack weapons for Trubisky at receiver, a position they'll surely address this offseason.

They're also probably about to fire their coaching staff and hire an offense-minded coach to help develop Trubisky. Of course, finding the right coach is key. They'll have to consider a pair of NFC North offensive coordinators in Jim Bob Cooter and Pat Shurmur, each of whom has done excellent work with their quarterbacks this season. They could consider Bill O'Brien if the Texans fire him. Jon Gruden is still out there. The Bears won't go too far out of the box after the Marc Trestman experiment failed, but they almost assuredly have to lean on a quarterback developer.

There is infrastructure here. Hire the right coach, sign a No. 1 wide receiver in an interesting free-agent class, and get lucky. Maybe Chicago gets a full season out of Kevin White, or Adam Shaheen takes a sophomore leap. Kyle Fuller, who was written off as a disappointment for years, suddenly looks like a starting cornerback. Maybe the Bears re-sign him and draft another cornerback in the first round and their defense sneaks into the top 10.

The quantitative case isn't bad, either. The Bears are 2-5 in one-score games this season. They were a drop away from beating the Falcons in Week 1. They were starting a drive with a chance to win a tied game in Trubisky's debut start, only for an interception to set up the game-winning field goal. Connor Barth missed a 46-yard field goal at the death that would have beaten the Lions. They've played what Football Outsiders pegs to be the second-toughest schedule in football so far.

As with many other candidates, the divisional strength stands in their way. The NFC North probably would be your pick right now as the league's best division heading into 2018, given that the Vikings are going to have a first-round bye with Case Keenum at quarterback, the Packers have Aaron Rodgers, and the Lions still have an outside shot at their second consecutive playoff berth with two games to go. Then again, we also thought the AFC West was unquestionably the league's best division heading into 2017, and it has turned out to be a desperate race toward nine wins. The Bears might very well settle in at 6-10 next year, but their best-case scenario is markedly similar to the Rams'.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears traded up to grab their quarterback of the future in the 2017 draft, but Mitchell Trubisky hasn't been very good; the second overall pick is last in the league in Total QBR (26.6), with a scarcely believable 3.4 QBR when under pressure.

:eek:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you now just a troll?

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
We should have a good shot of the top 3 available candidates.

The head coach they hire will be all in on Trubs (they wont hire a coach who isnt) and with a good defense, a top 10 pick and a ton of money to spend this should be a very enticing place to come.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still laugh at two of the wins we had this year and who those opponents where. Any given Sunday I guess.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Trubs has not been very good??? WTF are they watching. Trubs has been good considering his help and the talent/coaching. As far as rookie seasons go I am very happy with Trubs.
Maybe you are satisfied because this is the bears and we're used to shitty QB play. He hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been very good either...right now he reminds me of an Andy Dalton type

The whole offense sucks tho and the coaching is crap so maybe we have some optimism for next year...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Trubs has not been very good??? WTF are they watching. Trubs has been good considering his help and the talent/coaching. As far as rookie seasons go I am very happy with Trubs.

100% agree with you

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I’ve heard 2 different national radio shows today blasting the hell out of Fox. Bears will be better next year solely due to addition by subtraction

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We've been over this multiple times. It all comes full circle because of the Benny Cunningham connection.

And it will all come full circle next season when the Bears hire Jeff Fisher as head coach.

jeff-fisher-thumbs-up-yo.jpg

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Get an innovative offensive coach, sign a good WR, while having two other solid WRs step up to make one of the better 1-3 cores in the league, have significant offensive line improvement. Then just get Trubisky+Howard=Goff+Gurley.

Could be done...

Trump32

Liked Posts:

Trubs hasn't lit the league on fire, but he has played better than how you would expect a very unexperienced QB to play, with some flashes of great potential. ESPN is just pushing their shitty QBR metric. The real evaluation is between GOAT and functional starter.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Maybe you are satisfied because this is the bears and we're used to shitty QB play. He hasn't been terrible, but hasn't been very good either...right now he reminds me of an Andy Dalton type

The whole offense sucks tho and the coaching is crap so maybe we have some optimism for next year...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Brees didn't look very good until his 4th season. Rapethisburger didn't have a good season until his 4th year. Often enough, QBs need time with good coaches and patience before they put it all together. Give him time and the game will slow down for him; give him good coaches and at least one decent receiver, and he'll actually be put in a position to succeed.

As for being like Andy Dalton - the red rocket plays that way with a top 5 receiver. Imagine how Trubs would be performing if he had a receiver like that.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I still laugh at two of the wins we had this year and who those opponents where. Any given Sunday I guess.

If the Ravens win out we will have beaten three playoff teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyBones21

Liked Posts:
As for being like Andy Dalton - the red rocket plays that way with a top 5 receiver. Imagine how Trubs would be performing if he had a receiver like that.

Maybe he'd look like Andy Dalton? We don't know.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Sign a real coach
Sign 2 FA WR's who actually have physical tools and talent, let Wheaton walk and White, Meredith, and Wright battle for spots 3,4, and 5.
Sign 1 FA Interior lineman, 1 Exterior lineman in FA, Draft 1 Interior lineman
Sign 1 real backup TE, let Sims, Miller, and all other rejects leave
Sign FA Safety for depth
Draft OLB
Draft CB
Draft TE

And compete for a wildcard next year