Looking for a new cable modem

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me wife will be able to work from home very soon and we need a land phone line and WiFi. Our current cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard that's been working great, but has no phone capability.
I haven't shopped for them in a while, what are the top decent, affordable modem brands these days?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Don't look at me. I've been on a pfSense build for two years and DD-WRT before that. I know nothing about the all-in-one docsis modems on the market. But people do ask me a lot, I hope airtime chimes in.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Arris is motorola- best of a bad lot....
In all honesty, I would rent- then you know you will always be compatible with the newest version of docsis.

If you need to buy, docsis 3.1 arris is the way to go. linky here

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arris is motorola- best of a bad lot....
In all honesty, I would rent- then you know you will always be compatible with the newest version of docsis.

If you need to buy, docsis 3.1 arris is the way to go. linky here

Thanks, it doesn't look like that one has phone jacks.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I wish I knew more about comcast's telephony service and pricing mechanisms. Right now my 'landline' is a magicjack device connected to the router, and it works plenty fine for my needs.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I wish I knew more about comcast's telephony service and pricing mechanisms. Right now my 'landline' is a magicjack device connected to the router, and it works plenty fine for my needs.
Pretty sure it's just VOIP that's run through the cable modem.

I'm actually switching from DSL to xfinity in the next few weeks. My DSL is shit, but waiting cause I'm ditching DirecTV as well but I paid for the ticket this year and I'm done with that as well either game pass with our without VPN depending on how motivated I am to watch live next year

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Pretty sure it's just VOIP that's run through the cable modem.

I'm actually switching from DSL to xfinity in the next few weeks. My DSL is shit, but waiting cause I'm ditching DirecTV as well but I paid for the ticket this year and I'm done with that as well either game pass with our without VPN depending on how motivated I am to watch live next year

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Right right, but it's their(comcast) VoIP service. Why that's important, is because 911, data(fax), maybe international calls, call filtering and blocking, voicemail, caller ID, device forwarding, amount of phones (and what kind), etc are factors, pending each person's needs for that specific line. Comcast might provide most, but a lot of VoIP services have these as added services, especially if you want to do the multi-provider route(like a google voice).

Also, if it weren't for the fact I can hack the magicjack, I wouldn't use the device I have. Them, like vonage, obi, and a number of services don't roll out many, if ANY security updates. SO it wil basically leave your network vulnerable. And IIRC, Comcast and AT&T also neglect security updates as well (which is a great reason to BYOE for Comcast IMO).

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right right, but it's their(comcast) VoIP service. Why that's important, is because 911, data(fax), maybe international calls, call filtering and blocking, voicemail, caller ID, device forwarding, amount of phones (and what kind), etc are factors, pending each person's needs for that specific line. Comcast might provide most, but a lot of VoIP services have these as added services, especially if you want to do the multi-provider route(like a google voice).

Also, if it weren't for the fact I can hack the magicjack, I wouldn't use the device I have. Them, like vonage, obi, and a number of services don't roll out many, if ANY security updates. SO it wil basically leave your network vulnerable. And IIRC, Comcast and AT&T also neglect security updates as well (which is a great reason to BYOE for Comcast IMO).

Buy your own?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Buy your own?

Any advancement on this.

The season is over and I am so ready to get rid of my DSL looking to do this next week or so, any luck on the cable modem front?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any advancement on this.

The season is over and I am so ready to get rid of my DSL looking to do this next week or so, any luck on the cable modem front?

Sorry for not following up. We needed one in a hurry and couldn't wait for shipping, so I ended up just geting a Netgear modem with wifi from Best Buy. It was $119, but rental would be $9 a month so it will pay for itself after a year. It's been working great and was easy to sync up to the Netgear wifi card her work sent her.