CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Would have loved to have made this thread earlier, but I was VoB. Anyways, I'm going to steal the premise of the thread from a buddy of mine on another site:

Took just 3 months but the worst of the LaVar Ball clown shoes tour has come out. He publicly trashed Luke Walton and Lonzo is too much of a pussy to go against his dad. When asked Lonzo just said "I'll play for anyone" and "I don't decide who coaches me". The Lakers don't have a first round pick next year, have a worse record than the Bulls. People actually thought LeBron would go there? Why? Just because it's LA?

I'd love to know how much of Lonzo's money is being used to fund BBB pop-up stores, not to mention his younger brothers adventures in Lithuania.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lonzo really is a pussy. If that were my dad, I'd definitely tell him to back off.

Lavar may very well have been involved in developing Lonzo, but he's also part of tearing him down. Can't believe he doesn't see it.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If it continues, I think there has to be somewhat of a breaking point. Not that Lonzo will completely kick LaVar to the curb, but I just don't see how he(as well as the team) can put up with the interference long-term. It hurts Lonzo and the team.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The Ball kids should go on a spectacular gambling bender with cartel house money, then piss off the bookies.

:shrug:

Oh wait, none of them are good at any other sport.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't really think Lonzo is that bad of a person. He really does seem like he just wants to play baskeball, but LaVar is a complete douche and making his family look like fools. Kinda feel bad for them. I'm with BNB, if that was my dad, I'd tell him to piss off.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I seriously think about the Menendez kids with that old man. I would be extremely embarrassed if I did not teach my kid a proper jump shot form.

Speed

Liked Posts:
All of the kids started shooting with a ball too big when they were young supposedly. That's why Lonzo's arm swoops like that. The other two have some jank in their shot as well, but not like Lonzo.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The other two also don't have near the talent Lonzo does, and only the younger one might sniff time in the Association.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All of the kids started shooting with a ball too big when they were young supposedly. That's why Lonzo's arm swoops like that. The other two have some jank in their shot as well, but not like Lonzo.
Ironically, the kid with the most normal jumper is the one with the least talent (Liangelo). Lamelo still shoots like a middle school kid who's not quite strong enough to get the ball to the rim any other way.

I'll credit them for making their goofy shots work anyway. They're far from the worst shot forms we've seen make it to the NBA and have success. Imo they're just a notch below Kevin Martin.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Ironically, the kid with the most normal jumper is the one with the least talent (Liangelo). Lamelo still shoots like a middle school kid who's not quite strong enough to get the ball to the rim any other way.

I'll credit them for making their goofy shots work anyway. They're far from the worst shot forms we've seen make it to the NBA and have success. Imo they're just a notch below Kevin Martin.

Yea, there's been some weird shot forms that have worked. Reggie Miller, Shawn Marion,etc.

0930-lonzo-shot-cropped.jpg

Lonzo can make this work, but this, mechanically speaking, is a bit off. The angle of his forearm relative to the transverse plane is too small, and his wrist isn't really lined up the basket.

Might be tough at this point with his habits, muscle memory and all, but I think he could definitely improve his shooting if he changes his form to be a little more conventional(or at least make more sense).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea, there's been some weird shot forms that have worked. Reggie Miller, Shawn Marion,etc.

0930-lonzo-shot-cropped.jpg

Lonzo can make this work, but this, mechanically speaking, is a bit off. The angle of his forearm relative to the transverse plane is too small, and his wrist isn't really lined up the basket.

Might be tough at this point with his habits, muscle memory and all, but I think he could definitely improve his shooting if he changes his form to be a little more conventional(or at least make more sense).
Yeah some slight changes to his mechanics could make him more efficient and effective as a shooter. Bringing the ball up to the opposite side of your face isn't really all that uncommon (though he takes it to the extreme). Just off the top of my head, KD and Joe Johnson also had their set point up near the left eye. The difference is, as you pointed out, primarily the wrist positioning and by extension his forearm angle.

But at the same time, there's the old adage of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Lonzo supposedly is a good 3pt shooter in spite of his form. We question it now because he's shooting like 30%, but in college he was up at like 41% iirc. Is it the NBA defense, his form, or just overall bad shooting that's the cause for the drop? Who knows...could be all of the above.

All this to say, I think he and his brothers will always shoot in a way that we perceive as ugly/weird, but with a few slight tweaks they can still make it work. If Shawn Marion can make that T-Rex jumper work, then I see no reason why Lonzo can't get this goofy shot to work.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah some slight changes to his mechanics could make him more efficient and effective as a shooter. Bringing the ball up to the opposite side of your face isn't really all that uncommon (though he takes it to the extreme). Just off the top of my head, KD and Joe Johnson also had their set point up near the left eye.

Yea, I was going to mention the off set point, but a number of players can make that work.

The difference is, as you pointed out, primarily the wrist positioning and by extension his forearm angle.

Yup. Forearm needs to be a bit more vertical

But at the same time, there's the old adage of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and Lonzo supposedly is a good 3pt shooter in spite of his form. We question it now because he's shooting like 30%, but in college he was up at like 41% iirc. Is it the NBA defense, his form, or just overall bad shooting that's the cause for the drop? Who knows...could be all of the above.

True. And he was shooting like 5 threes a game at UCLA, so it's not necessarily anomalic. Lonzo faced what a number of players face when they come into the league, which is a farther 3 point line, better perimeter defenders,etc. It definitely drops the % a bit.

I don't necessarily think he's an awful shooter, and there's evidence this form works for him. But I think it would serve him in the long run to at least fix the forearm a little bit.

All this to say, I think he and his brothers will always shoot in a way that we perceive as ugly/weird, but with a few slight tweaks they can still make it work. If Shawn Marion can make that T-Rex jumper work, then I see no reason why Lonzo can't get this goofy shot to work.

At the end of the day, it's kind of like baseball and golf swings. Most professionals/coaches can point out a number of mechanical/methodical issues in the form, but if it works, it works.

belikemike23

Liked Posts:
I think they're making a good amount of money just from their BBB brand alone. I venture to say that it is significantly more than Lonzo's rookie contract money.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Would have loved to have made this thread earlier, but I was VoB. Anyways, I'm going to steal the premise of the thread from a buddy of mine on another site:

Took just 3 months but the worst of the LaVar Ball clown shoes tour has come out. He publicly trashed Luke Walton and Lonzo is too much of a pussy to go against his dad. When asked Lonzo just said "I'll play for anyone" and "I don't decide who coaches me". The Lakers don't have a first round pick next year, have a worse record than the Bulls. People actually thought LeBron would go there? Why? Just because it's LA?

I'd love to know how much of Lonzo's money is being used to fund BBB pop-up stores, not to mention his younger brothers adventures in Lithuania.

Did LaVar Ball check to see what the punishment for shoplifting is in Lithuania, before sending his sons there? Above contract and playing time, punishment for attempted theft should be the biggest concern for the Ball family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Did LaVar Ball check to see what the punishment for shoplifting is in Lithuania, before sending his sons there? Above contract and playing time, punishment for attempted theft should be the biggest concern for the Ball family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't you hear? Charges were dropped, man. He should have never been suspended.