Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Agree pass rush needs to be priority #1 now that we've addressed WR. Problem is there is nearly nothing on the market, and Chubb is really the only true pass rusher in the draft so hes likely gone.

In that case I really like Nelson over anyone else because he is the most talented player, and in a similar value to 3-4 ILB.

I disagree we need to get much younger at DB. Except for Prince, everyone is less than 4 years in the league. That's pretty young

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ignignokt

Liked Posts:
If you draft Nelson and he becomes an 8 year starter with the possibility of pro bowl appearances would it be a bad pick at #8? it's the safest pick if he is still there, Solidify a young O-Line.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Out of 3 players I want

Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Nelson

I take whatever one is there to take. All 3 fit a position of need, out of these 3 Nelson is most likely to be there at 8.

Exactly this. I dont give up draft capital to move up and I dont trade back unless the board falls as below. 3 QBs and Saquon guaranteed to go before us and a good chance Mayfield goes too if Bills move up.

My only worry is if the board goes

QB
Saquon
QB
QB
Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Nelson

Then I'm not sure what you do. Probably entertain a trade down.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Chubb is on the board, and we take a G with a top 10 pick, I would literally cry.

Who the hell watched this team last yr and said, "we really need a G desperately..."

I know there are a lot of ND homers on here, but need matters. We can get a G later in the draft if need be. This defense needs pass rushers and younger DBs, period.

First of all I don't give a flying fuck about Notre Dame and far as I know there is only like one or two posters on CCS that actually are ND fans. Second, the hell does last year have to do with the roster as it stands right now? We are still missing either one starting guard and a depth player or two starting guards.

To go along with your own line of logic, who the hell watched this team last year and said "boy that top 10 defense desperately needs more play makers..."

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Would love to get Chubb but he's not making it until 8. He wouldn't be a perfect fit in a 3-4 but would still allow Fangio to get more creative with different base formations. The run on QB's will allow Fitz, Nelson, Ward to be around at 8. Still a lot of quality OG's around in round 2

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
First of all I don't give a flying fuck about Notre Dame and far as I know there is only like one or two posters on CCS that actually are ND fans. Second, the hell does last year have to do with the roster as it stands right now? We are still missing either one starting guard and a depth player or two starting guards.

To go along with your own line of logic, who the hell watched this team last year and said "boy that top 10 defense desperately needs more play makers..."

Me. :lol:

(I REALLY like good defense)

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Me. :lol:

(I REALLY like good defense)

I'm all for having an embarrassment of riches on the defensive side of the ball but if this team wants to add wins to the record they need people who help scoring and moving the ball. So unless you plan on having that defensive player scoring points for you to win games, a guard like Nelson will make a larger impact to your bottom of the barrel offense than a pass rusher will on an already top 10 defense.

napo55

Liked Posts:
There will be several outstanding OGs and centers available at pick 39. The impact defensive prospects will be gone by that time. I'd take Edmunds or Davenport in the first and one of the available interior linemen at 39.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm all for having an embarrassment of riches on the defensive side of the ball but if this team wants to add wins to the record they need people who help scoring and moving the ball. So unless you plan on having that defensive player scoring points for you to win games, a guard like Nelson will make a larger impact to your bottom of the barrel offense than a pass rusher will on an already top 10 defense.

Dude.... I get it. Was just replying to the sentence I highlighted saying that yes.... I DID watch that top 10 defense and want more play makers.

Was not trying to get into the value of a guard vs a defensive player.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dude.... I get it. Was just replying to the sentence I highlighted saying that yes.... I DID watch that top 10 defense and want more play makers.

Was not trying to get into the value of a guard vs a defensive player.

FITE ME BITCH!

LOL

I'm just messin.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
simpsons-fire-gif.gif

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I think Nelson will be there at 8. The QB frenzy has started and I truly believe that 4 are going before 8. I think Barkley and Chubb are gone too. The wildcard is TB. They need DBs and pass rush in the worst way. There’s a lot of chatter that they like Derwin James and apparently they spent quite a bit of time with him at the FSU pro day.

1. QB
2. QB - Giants or trade up
3. QB
4. Barkley
5. QB - Denver or trade up
6. Chubb
7. James, Davenport, Ward or Fitz
8. Nelson, Edmunds, Fitz or Davenport

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It really needs to go from bend don't break to breaking things. Fangio can good play from average talent, don't saddle him with that. Pass rush is what's needed here for it to become next level and hopefully teams will need to do more passing against us to keep up next year.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure a top five player will fall to us, just doubt it will be Nelson.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Exactly this. I dont give up draft capital to move up and I dont trade back unless the board falls as below. 3 QBs and Saquon guaranteed to go before us and a good chance Mayfield goes too if Bills move up.

My only worry is if the board goes

QB
Saquon
QB
QB
Chubb
Fitzpatrick
Nelson

Then I'm not sure what you do. Probably entertain a trade down.

you wont get as much for 8, but the way Nelson falls to us is if there is a trade for the fourth quarterback. Personally, mitch is the one top pick of Pace that shows promise. If White and Floyd hit, then ok, but man this guy is money in the third and fourth rounds. I dont know if there is another injured guy out there like Eddie Jackson to make a no brainer pick on, but you gotta admit, that is where Pace shines.

I really dont know how critical this line is anymore with a qb that is mobile, but I for one can go without seeing another snap or two per game from Whitehair that a quarterback is chasing, leaping or picking up off the ground.

Top "pure" center per walters is Daniels from Iowa. http://walterfootball.com/draft2018C.php third best on board, but the other two are combo guys that might bounce around and the top top guy is a 5.34 runner and daniels is 5 flat. Those are ranked as 1-2 round guys so a trade down will get an area of need and a few more picks.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Had we done something in FA to help the O-line i would agree with everyone that wants defense in the first. So far we have not, and we have three legit needs at the o-line (both guards and RT). If you plug one of those needs with the best talent in this years draft then you can patchwork the o-line to be acceptable, maybe even good.

If you wait till the 2nd or the 3rd, then the talent level drops and you may not be able to patchwork the o-line to even be acceptable, it may still be bad.

We would essentially have a great looking muscle car with no wheels.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If Chubb is on the board, and we take a G with a top 10 pick, I would literally cry.

Who the hell watched this team last yr and said, "we really need a G desperately..."

I know there are a lot of ND homers on here, but need matters. We can get a G later in the draft if need be. This defense needs pass rushers and younger DBs, period.

We won't take a guard or anything else if Chubb is on the board. But he won't be.

Who watched last year and said "we need a guard?" Well, first we had Sitton, but both he and Long missed time. Personally, I was first thinking "We need a Tackle", but I have been questioning for a long time why Bears fans think we were good on the OLine. We improved over a few years ago when we were as bad as it gets, but we need a true top OLineman - or two.

Our OLine has not been nearly as good as it is made out to be by folks here. When Leno is the "rock" of your OL, get some new Olinemen. Leno is starter quality, but he needs to not be your best guy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Had we done something in FA to help the O-line i would agree with everyone that wants defense in the first. So far we have not, and we have three legit needs at the o-line (both guards and RT). If you plug one of those needs with the best talent in this years draft then you can patchwork the o-line to be acceptable, maybe even good.

If you wait till the 2nd or the 3rd, then the talent level drops and you may not be able to patchwork the o-line to even be acceptable, it may still be bad.

We would essentially have a great looking muscle car with no wheels.

We just invested a ton - and pinned our future - on a QB. I don't want to be at a point where the ceiling is "good". We need to protect the QB on passing downs and we will need to run the ball in order to help him develop. We need to invest two draft picks in OL, and/or grab a vet FA when one becomes available.