Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

Liked Posts:
I'd be open to having our new o-line coach get with K.Long and seeing if Long can play RT and replacing Massie with Long if he can. I know we tried K.Long at RT a couple of years ago and he wasn't great there (even though he made the pro bowl that year at RT) but the way he was put there with pretty much not giving Long any warning it was gonna happen had to be tough for him and of course without any time there he wasn't gonna be great from the get go. Maybe with a full offseason and training camp knowing he's gonna play RT will help him.

LT--C.Leno
LG--J.Sitton
C--C.Whitehair
RG--Q.Nelson
RT--K.Long

what would you guys think about playing K.Long at RT? Maybe keep B.Massie instead of cutting him or sign another decent player that can play RT. If he can play and can stay healthy that would be a really good o-line.

Think that ship has sailed honestly. Plus he's a pro bowler at rg and was average at RT maybe.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He's a stud.

I think you obviously take B. Chubb if he's there (which he probably won't be). Real question is if you take Q. Nelson or a CB like Fitzpatrick, Ward or Jackson.

Nelson would be a great, albeit safe pick, though.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
He's a stud, but some of the hype on this board comes from people who watch ND religiously.....

There is no way in hell I take a G #8 with our needs, period.

We aren't in best player available mode yet, sorry. You guys act as if we had horrible OL play last yr, we didn't.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only problem I have with Nelson is that he doesn't play Tackle! Who is he replacing Long or Sitton? Drafting BPA in the top 10 is nonsense, unless your goal is to draft in the top 10 next year. Drafting for need is a much better play. Our biggest needs are WR, LB, CB, and OT.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Nelson does not move nearly as well as Scherff or Martin. While he does move well for his size, he’s more of a power/mauler.

Both of those were tackles in college, tackle being a more athletic position

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Both of those were tackles in college, tackle being a more athletic position

Yep, shows what teams value nowadays in a guard. Kelichi Osemele was a tackle in college as well. NFL wants athletic guards.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yep, shows what teams value nowadays in a guard. Kelichi Osemele was a tackle in college as well. NFL wants athletic guards.

and they would be cheaper come draft time if we get a second level tackle to convert to guard.

I am not against that either.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Think that ship has sailed honestly. Plus he's a pro bowler at rg and was average at RT maybe.

K.Long is a athlete who i think if he put the work in could definitely play RT and with the help of our new o-line coach would help. Who knows maybe our o-line coach puts him there in TC to get a look at him and thinks he could play it fine and maybe he doesn't think he can play RT but i can't see how it could hurt to at least let him get a look at him at RT to see what he thinks. If we did draft Nelson it sure would help if we could just slide Long over to tackle and slide Nelson in at RG.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
and they would be cheaper come draft time if we get a second level tackle to convert to guard.

I am not against that either.

Keep an eye on Tyrell Crosby, Oregon's LT. 6'5" 320. Missed 2016 with a broken foot but was PFF's #1 pass blocking OT in 2017 and PFF's #1 returning run-blocking OL in 2015. Excelled in Herzlich's spread offense. Team captain, humble kid, plays fast and mean.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The only problem I have with Nelson is that he doesn't play Tackle! Who is he replacing Long or Sitton? Drafting BPA in the top 10 is nonsense, unless your goal is to draft in the top 10 next year. Drafting for need is a much better play. Our biggest needs are WR, LB, CB, and OT.

R.Pace has made it well known that he likes to go for it with his 1st round pick and try to hit on a player that could be a star. Nelson is the safe pick and i don't see Pace going for the safe pick.

urlachinator

Liked Posts:
Nelson looks great. Take him at #8 if available, or possibly trade back a bit, add a pick and get him just a few picks later? I guess it will depend on how the draft shakes out early.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He's a stud, but some of the hype on this board comes from people who watch ND religiously.....

We aren't in best player available mode yet, sorry. You guys act as if we had horrible OL play last yr, we didn't.

Sitton will be cut.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
49ers need a guard desperately. Maybe a one spot trade down is in order. :thinking:

Thoughts on Billy Price possibility in the 2nd round?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Keep an eye on Tyrell Crosby, Oregon's LT. 6'5" 320. Missed 2016 with a broken foot but was PFF's #1 pass blocking OT in 2017 and PFF's #1 returning run-blocking OL in 2015. Excelled in Herzlich's spread offense. Team captain, humble kid, plays fast and mean.

I'm always a little confused how PFF can accurately grade offensive line play.

Last edited:

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
R.Pace has made it well known that he likes to go for it with his 1st round pick and try to hit on a player that could be a star. Nelson is the safe pick and i don't see Pace going for the safe pick.

Nelson literally has hall of fame potential. The only question is the value of the position. Personally, I think you can make the argument that he has the highest upside and is the safest pick in the draft.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Cooper and Warmack were also the best guard prospects in 10 years which is why they were drafted #7 and #10 respectively.

"Cooper was widely considered one of the top guard prospects in the 2013 NFL draft, along with Chance Warmack. After the NFL Combine, Sports Illustrated projected him as the No. 10 overall selection. North Carolina had not seen one of their offensive lineman taken in the first round since tackle Harris Barton was selected in the first round with the 22nd overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 1987. Cooper was selected seventh overall by the Arizona Cardinals in the 2013 NFL draft. He was the highest selected offensive guard since Jim Dombrowski in 1986 NFL draft."

"Warmack was considered the best interior linemen available in the 2013 NFL Draft. ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay considered Warmack the best guard prospect he’s seen since Steve Hutchinson, who went 17th overall to the Seattle Seahawks in the 2001 NFL Draft. NFL Network analyst and NBC commentator Mike Mayock considered him the best football player in the draft."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Cooper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chance_Warmack

And Cooper is on this 4th NFL team and Warmack is on his 2nd NFL team. So much for safe picks. I would have a problem using the #8 overall pick on a guard. Value just isn't there.

Speed

Liked Posts:
He's a stud.

I think you obviously take B. Chubb if he's there (which he probably won't be). Real question is if you take Q. Nelson or a CB like Fitzpatrick, Ward or Jackson.

Nelson would be a great, albeit safe pick, though.

If Fitzpatrick is on the board thats a no brainer(He won't be unless theres a super early run on QBs). He can be our swiss army knife/super DB.

Ward and Jackson you can debate.

Nelson would be a slam dunk pick though.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think Football outsiders does a much better job.

Umm, http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
We have the horses but keeping them at 100% proved impossible (again) last year.
Even that is still sketchy, imo. PFF and FO, from what I can tell (if I'm completely off base, please don't hesitate to call me stupid) have no idea of the play call or specific assignment a lineman has on any given play. They also couldn't possibly ever know about adjustments that have been made on plays during the course of a game.

I just can't buy it.